• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best Buy trolling GameStop with Trade-In Advertissement.

Kwixotik

Really? Instead of getting $40 for a game at Best Buy (as has happened recently) you're saying I could have gotten potentially $200 on eBay? What a fool I have been.

Well, obviously nothing is absolute. There are exceptions, but in general you're better off cutting out the middle man.

Kwixotik said:
I don't understand why people trade in games at all. You get like 4-5x more money selling on ebay and you can use that money anywhere.

It's a hassle. My time is worth more than the money.

pretty much.

Time to create a sale on ebay/

Wait and wait. Get money, wait some more (including weekends when banks don't operate) for it to clear into your bank.

If time = money then it's not worth it. If you don't care about waiting it's dealers choice.

Well, obviously nothing is absolute. There are exceptions, but in general you're better off cutting out the middle man.
I understand your point and with older games you're certainly not wrong but like Guevara said eBay can be a hassle. Also you can also get unlucky and end up with lower bids than you expected. There are positives and negatives to both. I do like to use eBay to sell codes that come with games, I got a criminal price for a classic Reptile skin back in the MK9 heyday.

Regardless, BB has better trade in values than GS.

Chuckpebble

For those with trouble:

Stop trading your games in
somewhere that only sells Games
USED GAME TRADE IN
Now available at BEST BUY
Use your credit towards ANYTHING we sell!
Probably some disclaimer text.

Can't read that last line.

LOL, but actually, it's more like this:

Hollywood still thinks most hardcore video games are based around isolated levels, beating the game by getting a high score, and having a limited stock of lives after which "game over" sends you back to "the first level". Most writers see games like GTA where a character is wandering around an open world but don't grasp the implications of that. They think it's still a level or stage they're seeing, with a specific end point, after which "level 2" loads.

It's really just pop culture / the mainstream being 10 years behind nerdy stuff, which is nothing unusual. It does look really dumb tho to anyone who actually plays contemporary video games.

Hollywood does grasp online first person shooters (aka murder simulators) but then, there's not a lot about Deathmatch to misunderstand. And Doom had that in the early 90s.

I'm not seeing that attitude in these Best Buy commercials. The soldier says he got all the achievements. The space marine implies that he beat the game and finished the story. The RPG barbarian says he levelled up fast and completed every quest. Those all sound like pretty common reasons to trade a game in.

Sullen

When I do actually go into a store to buy a game I always go into Best Buy over Gamestop. I can walk in, grab the game, and walk out without a single person bugging me. In Gamestop I get borderline harassed: "You want a guide? You wanna look up any release dates? You wanna pre-order anything? You wanna become a member? Remember you won't be able to buy a game on release day unless you pre-order!" So seeing this ad makes me happy.

When I do actually go into a store to buy a game I always go into Best Buy over Gamestop. I can walk in, grab the game, and walk out without a single person bugging me. In Gamestop I get borderline harassed: "You want a guide? You wanna look up any release dates? You wanna pre-order anything? You wanna become a member? Remember you won't be able to buy a game on release day unless you pre-order!" So seeing this ad makes me happy.
The guy at BB hassled me about buying Super Mario 3D Land, asked me if I was buying it for a kid or something. Then he asked me if I'd played MW3 yet.

How is this trolling?

I swear trolling is the Internets most overused word.
Definitely, it's getting ridiculous. People seem to be developing mild cases of aspergers and retardation on mass, everything has to be re-expressed using a set of five or so rage faces and any act that isn't overtly friendly or mutually beneficial is trolling.

Does anyone know how trade-in credit is at Best Buy? If it's similar (or more, but I doubt that) this isn't good for GS.

Definitely, it's getting ridiculous. People seem to be developing mild cases of aspergers and retardation on mass, everything has to be re-expressed using a set of five or so rage faces and any act that isn't overtly friendly or mutually beneficial is trolling.

Does anyone know how trade-in credit is at Best Buy? If it's similar (or more, but I doubt that) this isn't good for GS.
It's generally more, especially if you preorder certain titles which give you 40% extra for your trade ins.

How old was this game adviser?
Mid 20's I'd say.

They also kinda made the font match on Game and Stop.

Don't remember if they still have it, but the Fry's here used to have a banner that said "Your Best Buys Are Always At Fry's."
I think that was actually their slogan though. I remember they'd say that at the end of all their commercials.

It could have still been a conscious dig at Best Buy, but it definitely was confined to a witty banner like this.

Dead

well not really...yet

Trade in credit at Best Buy blows gamestop out of the water. Usually better base TIV values, + constant 40-50% extra credit deals

It's generally more, especially if you preorder certain titles which give you 40% extra for your trade ins.

Mid 20's I'd say.
Damn. The only thing GS could have going for it now is better availability of niche titles, but in my experience BB stocks a lot more obscure games than Target and Walmart and whatever.

Despite BB's push on used games the last few months though, at the Best Buy's around me the selection of used games is really shitty and the prices aren't all that hot. I hope in the future they are able to build a better selection.

I like the commercial with the marine at the diner complaining about how he's going to be traded towards a kindle.

Normally hearing words like "noob" in real life is cringeworthy but the amount of vitriol the marine guy said it with addressing the cooks wife had me cracking up.

Ricky_R

No, trolling implies trying to piss someone off for comedic purposes. This is generally targeting Gamestop as a business competitor and more specifically targeting Gamestop's trade-in market.

While I don't think "trolling" is the correct word for it, but he probably used it because of the funny/in your face aspect of it all.

They placed the banner just beside Gamestop and they played with the words on purpose to deliver the message.

It's simply an aggressive and VERY direct marketing, but humorous nonetheless. "Trolling" is accepted this time. I think.

Also, the most overused word is "hyperbole". At least on GAF.

Quick somebody put a sign under that one that reads:

Stop trading in games to brick and mortar companies who take you as a mindless drone. Support devs and the gaming industry only! Buy new or Buy Digital!
Gabe-Newell-6.jpg

Tenck

Quick somebody put a sign under that one that reads:

Stop trading in games to brick and mortar companies who take you as a mindless drone. Support devs and the gaming industry only! Buy new or Buy Digital!
Gabe-Newell-6.jpg

Who do I sign my savings over to?!?!?!

I've bought more games on Steam than I have at Gamestop/BB/Walmart in like 5 years combined.

Fox Mulder

It's much easier and convenient to walk into a store and get cash/credit, than got through the hassle of of ebay/craigslist to earn an extra $10/$15.

eBay also has fees and you roll the dice on putting up with shit from random buyers.

I don't trade games often but when I do, it's with bestbuy or amazon. They offer competitive prices without the bullshit of eBay. I did have to sign like 12 pieces of paper when I traded at bestbuy though.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Why did they put a Gamestop next to that giant banner trolling Gamestop.

GQman2121

Banned
The funny thing is that Best Buy's trade in values are practically identical to GS. In fact, in September Best Buy changed their Gamer Zone Rewards Program (which they've had for at least two years now) and made it a carbon copy of Game Stops upstart Power Up Rewards Program. Basically, they neutered the one thing that gave them an advantage over the competition.

It is a nice option to be able to use the trade-in credit towards anything in the store, and they also price match, but both can be like pulling fucking teeth.

For starters, only certain people on the floor have authorization to handle trades. So if they're not around or busy, you have to wait or come back.

Best Buy also uses kiosk's for all of their pre-orders. If this kiosk is down (like this) then you can't take advantage of any pre-order trade-in bonus's (typically like 30%-50%) that are active. Before they changed their RZ program I would purchase all of my new games at Best Buy because of the pre-order bonus points they would offer (500 bonus pts=$10). These machines would be out of service about as often as they were functional. It's a very strange system they have going right now.

They're still trying to figure it out, but Best Buy is in a very good position to challenge GS in the used game market. They don't have nearly the amount of games the average GS has available and they're doing a great job of not advertising that they accept trades, sell used games or offer competitive credit for their trades. But stuff like this banner is a good start. They really need to step it up though.

Cue a tiny sign on letter size made with crappy WordArt that says "uh, it's BEST to BUY games here instead! Come to Gamestop!"

Valnen

Cue a tiny sign on letter size made with crappy WordArt that says "uh, it's BEST to BUY games here instead! Come to Gamestop!"

Is it weird that I prefer buying games at gamestop because you don't have to walk through those things that beep at the front door? I hate those things because sometimes they don't remove the security thing from whatever you bought and they go off, and usually everyone around looks at you making for an awkward moment.

Yeah, I'd much rather they just look at my receipt at the door like they do at fry's or not have those at all.

While I don't think "trolling" is the correct word for it, but he probably used it because of the funny/in your face aspect of it all.

They placed the banner just beside Gamestop and they played with the words on purpose to deliver the message.

It's simply an aggressive and VERY direct marketing, but humorous nonetheless. "Trolling" is accepted this time. I think.

Also, the most overused word is "hyperbole". At least on GAF.

Not to get too off topic here, but trolling is purposefully doing something to illicit an angry or hostile reaction under the guise of an innocent act or question. Openly saying "We are a superior alternative to our nearest competitor" is not trolling.

Top Bottom