• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best Buy: Xenoblade WiiU. X? or it's Reyn time on HD?

Hattori

Banned
Finally some good WiiU news, I hope it's X, but I'll gladly settle for an hd Xenoblade. WiiU Direct please!

Psyae

The fact that it's not labeled as Xenoblade Chronicles makes me think that this isn't an HD remake. But oh well, as long as the Wii U gets some more games, it's all good.

Ridley327

Well, the other side if it is that Monolith's knee deep in X and 3DS projects while Mistwalker/MAQL seem a bit more open at the moment. TLS could use more tweaking too, it seemed to stress under Wii constraints way more than XBC did.

That's a good point to bring up, but I can't imagine that it'd be such a resource intensive port that they'd need tons of guys working on it.

Sadist

it__s_reyn_time_by_quadforcefive-d5ap8dz.png

It's probably a placeholder for X

Effect

If this was just an HD version of Xenoblade I would totally buy it. Don't even care if my save doesn't carry over. I'd gladly start over. I love this game that much. However I hope it's just a placeholder for X which is very likely Xenoblade 2.

HD port please so i can lol and see all the prices go down for the wii version

yup im jelly and missed out on the release

do it Nintendo

RPGCrazied

Would be awesome if it was an HD version of Xenoblade for all systems, but since Nintendo owns monolith, that ain't going to happen.

So its probably related to X.

Sandfox

I don't want to rebuy the game lol. This is probably true though and would make for a decent Q2/Q3 title. If it ends up being X that's just as good since that means it will probably be a holiday or first half next year title for us.

Meier

This would be pretty amazing. Nintendo needs to put out HD ports of almost all of their Wii games ASAP.

Mikey Jr.

If they remade Xenoblade for the WiiU, I would honestly think about buying a WiiU.

No fucking joke.

X to me did not look great. The world looks too "real", and lacks colour like Xenoblade.

If they remade Xenoblade for the WiiU, I would honestly think about buying a WiiU.

No fucking joke.

A sequel/spiritual successor isn't at least equally appealing?

^Nvm on account of the edit. Would love to be able to play Xenoblade in HD and X on the same sysem.

Mupod

I'd be there in a second, since I missed out on it before and I recently got a Wii U. I at least want to play it before X comes out and this would be a perfect way to do so.

Even if somehow this is just Best Buy being stupid and it's actually X, they need to at least put the wii u version on the eshop or something. In this day and age if people desperately want to give you money for a game you can easily offer digitally, why the hell wouldn't you?

No, calling this as a placeholder name right now. I mean even Best Buy isn't dumb enough to not see that X is going to be Xenoblade 2. Especially considering Takahashi is no stranger to making numbered sequels (Xenosaga 1-infinity)

Also I really can do without all these HD remakes. Sorry everyone has such special eyes, but it comes with the territory when playing older games. Also why waste all that manpower "fixing" something which isn't broken. I'd rather that talent go towards making new games. Xenoblade would be a monumental task to update to HD considering the amount of textures and size of the world.

Xenoblade is pretty gorgeous. The level design and vistas are breathtaking considering the console. Get over yourselves, if that is the reason you haven't played it. Also set your HDTV to 4:3 aspect ratio. Non HD games are meant to be played that way, and will look stretched and awful otherwise. Just the facts of life.

Mikey Jr.

A sequel/spiritual successor isn't at least equally appealing?

^Nvm on account of the edit. Would love to be able to play Xenoblade in HD and X on the same sysem.

I won't discount X. But the visuals didn't grab me. It doesn't have that same lush environment Xeno does. I think it's purely because of the colour palette. The greens are very dark, the blue water is very dark, everything has a modern look to it I guess.

Like I said, not discounting X. I will still read reviews and check it out, but if they made a Xenoblade HD, I would probably buy a WiiU the day that game comes out. Xenoblade is a fucking masterpiece, and probably one of the best JRPG's this gen.

Being able to see it on next gen hardware would be fucking amazing.

DashReindeer

Lead Community Manager, Outpost Games
I won't discount X. But the visuals didn't grab me. It doesn't have that same lush environment Xeno does. I think it's purely because of the colour palette. The greens are very dark, the blue water is very dark, everything has a modern look to it I guess.

Like I said, not discounting X. I will still read reviews and check it out, but if they made a Xenoblade HD, I would probably buy a WiiU the day that game comes out. Xenoblade is a fucking masterpiece, and probably one of the best JRPG's this gen.

Xenoblade is a masterpiece, but X, a game made by the same team and ostensibly trying to improve upon Xenoblade in the gameplay department, isn't a must-play because of the color pallete?

That said, I do agree that Xenoblade is a masterpiece, and I would buy an HD rerelease day one (as would all of my Wii U owning friends).

LOCK

I would love for an HD (upscaled) version of this game. I will gladly double dip.

Maybe with all the hype seen with X, Nintendo decided to re-release the game and not make it limited for access to a larger audience.

I agree. Xenoblade is very vibrant. Obviously what we saw of X is early in development. Considering it took at least 5 years, iirc, to make Xenoblade, and Xenoblade went gold in 2011, we still have some time, I would imagine, until they finish X. Yes their team is bigger, and they already made a similar game, but Takahashi also said that Xenoblade was just a test compared to what they really want to accomplish.

I'm imagining any world bigger than Xenoblade would need a ton of time spent in just map making endeavors. So what I'm getting around to saying is, hopefully that isn't the final color palette, and they will up the colors to at least on par with Xenoblade. Also, we only saw one section of the world. Some places in Xenoblade were much more colorful than others.

kitsuneyo

Didn't play it on Wii but I would probably buy on Wii U. Yes we're that starved for games!

It would be a good way to get people interested in X too.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
It's probably X.

But Xenoblade HD seems like it would be ridiculously easy to do if they wanted to. Just look at how amazing it is in Dolphin.

Terra

I agree. Xenoblade is very vibrant. Obviously what we saw of X is early in development. Considering it took at least 5 years, iirc, to make Xenoblade, and Xenoblade went gold in 2011, we still have some time, I would imagine, until they finish X. Yes their team is bigger, and they already made a similar game, but Takahashi also said that Xenoblade was just a test compared to what they really want to accomplish.

I'm imagining any world bigger than Xenoblade would need a ton of time spent in just map making endeavors. So what I'm getting around to saying is, hopefully that isn't the final color palette, and they will up the colors to at least on par with Xenoblade. Also, we only saw one section of the world. Some places in Xenoblade were much more colorful than others.

Interesting discussion wich with I agree. The atmosphere and lushness of Xenoblade was amazing. You could almost breath the damp Jungle air, the eerie caves and the fresh air of the plains. Add to this the enormous world and amount of quests. The only thing missing was some kind of vehicle to use on the map.

I hope for X to be a success. Nintendo needs it more than ever.
But there is always the risk for bomba with expecations running this high. Xenoblade was an instant classic, and it's not an easy task the devs are up to. Best wishes!

Effect

If both have listings independent of each other I wonder if this means we could have an Nintendo Direct coming very soon. There really should be one in the next two weeks. Monster Hunter and Lego City Undercover are coming. Now is the time to push them since there has been nothing in the last two months.

I also think X will arrive sooner then we think. From that footage it looks like a lot of systems are already in place. If something has to be finished Nintendo has no problem calling in their other teams to help out.

kitsuneyo

But what I did see at Newegg was kinda strange:
Mass Effect Trilogy for the Wii U

I don't remember that ever been mentioned anywhere.

I believe this one. Reason it hasn't been revealed so far is probably that EA didn't want to hurt standalone Mass Effect 3 sales.

That's actually a third party seller though. Not sure how legit that is as you can buy that now from the looks of things.

Good spot, still think it could happen.

You can't hurt a dead man.

True :) But they didn't know it was a dead duck at the time.

Are Walmart and Best Buy related companies? Isn't it too much of a coincidence that they would both list X incorrectly the same way?

They are not related in any way, shape or form. They may use some similar distributor or something that handles some level of input on their databases I don't know how it works but it's not out of the realm of possibility.

I would think it would be more likely it's happening than just a similar accident though. It's not a crazy idea.

Mikey Jr.

Xenoblade is a masterpiece, but X, a game made by the same team and ostensibly trying to improve upon Xenoblade in the gameplay department, isn't a must-play because of the color pallete?

That said, I do agree that Xenoblade is a masterpiece, and I would buy an HD rerelease day one (as would all of my Wii U owning friends).

Like I said, I'm not ignoring X at all. I will still definitely read the reviews, watch videos, etc.

But what attracted me to Xenoblade was the world. That first time you walked onto those plains and this whole world just opened up to you was amazing. The beautiful blue skies, the rolling green hills, the massive rock structure looming over you, it was all amazing. Thats what piqued my interest and made me get the game. It was one of those "I have to play this game..." type things. You don't get that immediately from story or characters. Those are things you have to play and finish to see if you liked it (which I did).

The visuals in X aren't hooking me right away. It looks like a very "modern" game, lots of dark, mute colours.

Yeah, I hope they go with a more vibrant type of world. And you're right, thats only 1 section. Xenoblade had lots of beautiful dungeons

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
If both have listings independent of each other I wonder if this means we could have an Nintendo Direct coming very soon. There really should be one in the next two weeks. Monster Hunter and Lego City Undercover are coming. Now is the time to push them since there has been nothing in the last two months.

Yup. Like I said earlier, Wonderful 101 preorders just started showing up as well...

ido

Please be X, and please come out at the end of this year.

Also, please buy the rights of Xenogears back and create a proper 6 game(episode) series all directly from the Perfect Works(and beyond), remaking Xenogears as Episode V.

I will calm down now.

I actually really hope this is Xenoblade and not X; I was considering hunting down a used copy of the Wii version next month, but a Wii U version would be far preferable.

ido

I actually really hope this is Xenoblade and not X; I was considering hunting down a used copy of the Wii version next month, but a Wii U version would be far preferable.

If I didn't already have Xenoblade, I would agree with you here.

I want it to be X.

That being said, if this were a re-release I would buy it just because it's goddamn Xenoblade. I would probably buy 2.

Mupod

Also, please buy the rights of Xenogears back and create a proper 6 game(episode) series all directly from the Perfect Works(and beyond), remaking Xenogears as Episode V.

When your idea sounds significantly less likely to happen than Shenmue 3, it's time to give up.

I'm totally with you there though.

Top Bottom