• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best gunfights in movies and TV

The best nominees have already been thrown out there so I'll add both Shoot 'Em Up and Free Fire to the pile. (even though they're not the best - the fact they're both basically one movie-length gunfight is worth something)

And of course, Way of the Gun's climax.

One of Shoot 'Em Up's gunfights definitely qualifies for Most Hilarious Gunfight I've ever seen.

13hours4.gif

Gattsu25

Banned
Way of the Gun has one of my favorites. Warning - it is quite graphic, so don't click at work or if you don't like blood. It's an incredibly sloppy fight overall, which is why I like it so much. As a piece of narrative design, it's great too - there's a clear goal that everyone is fighting over, and you get a complete picture of the terrain/available cover as the fight goes on. It sets up its own logic and sticks to it.

I can't find a good video of all of it, but the last 10 or so minutes of the 2007 3:10 to Yuma is also really well done. It's a bit more fantastical (well, more old-school spaghetti western) but it works so damn well and the music is incredible.

Way of the Gun! I couldn't remember the name of this movie for the life of me! That's a great choice.

Sojgat

The garage shootout from Joshua Tree/Army of One.

Can't post a clip because I'm on my phone, but it is on YouTube. Look it up, it's one of the best ever. So many squibs.

grumble

John which in general, but I really liked the home invasion fairly early on where he destroys the assassins. Was really impressive to watch. Must see movie.

I knew GAF had my people - I came here to talk about Way of the Gun, which is mighty underrated generally, but y'all had my back.

Thewonandonly

Also gotta give credit to the Denzel Washington movie where he is a construcstion worker or something and stops prostitution or something. That was a damn good movie and the end scene with the standoff in the warehouse is absolutely fantastic:)

Edit: the equalizer I think

Hoo-doo

Banned
The Matrix's lobby scene is still legendary and actually kind of holds up.

But the John Wick movies are basically 90-minute long gunfights.

Hrmmm it's rare for tv shows to have good shootouts but I remember this was one area where Southland really excelled at.
Honestly it had some of the best tv/realistic shootouts imo. There was one where some crazy guy walks into the police station with a shotgun and all hell breaks loose.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jcGho-B_gTY

Damn I forgot how good Southland could be at times.

The Wild Bunch end scene.

Sam Peckinpah's style inspired Woo.
Hell ya, the opening bank robbery kicks arse too.
Open Range
Great, underrated choice. Dang solid film too. Wish Costner made more Westerns.
Johnnie To's The Mission has some really fun gunplay as well.
THANK YOU!

John Woo gets so much credit, and perhaps rightfully so for his astounding action scenes, stuff that he made in the early 90's that even he could never top. But he's hardly the only Hong Kong auteur to make his mark with guns instead of intricately cheorographed fisticuffs.

The Mission has excellent gunfights, but isn't really a straight action film. And he's made tons of films since with great action scenes that aren't exactly action films either. But he is for sure awfully darn great at directing action. Such as in...

Drug War
Vengeance
Exiled

and many others, but those would be the cream of the crop for the purposes of the topic at hand here. Drug War has my pick for the best gunfight of this decade in fact. And speaking of great, bullet fueled finales, the Korean films A Company Man and (especially) A Bittersweet Life have some pretty dang awesome examples of such.

Top Bottom