• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best gunfights in movies and TV

Basically anything John Woo and Chow Yun Fat did together.

tumblr_miy05hLyNu1rt8levo1_400.gif

9322445415_262ee20de9_o.gif

EuGe2Wx.gif

JfoGJdV.gif

tumblr_napgo7RDlk1qcbvhxo1_500.gif
Watched Hard Boiled for the first time a month or two ago, and it was incredible. Every gun goes off like a cannon and every shootout is a mini-war. The sheer amount of environmental destruction does so much to sell the utter chaos

Chocolate & Vanilla

Fuck Strawberry
Gross Point Blank has all the best gunfights.

Also Jonny Depp's blind gunslinger scene in Once upon a Time in Mexico, for its healthy dose of comic reality.

I let this play for too long on my screen while giggling.

I want to go back and rewatch a lot of these movies now! I do love Equilibrium. LOL at the mention of Tremors - watched that again not long ago on a lazy weekend afternoon and it's just so ridiculous/fun/dumb.

Most of my faves have already been listed. The bar shootout in Raiders though is a short but good one.

Bay doesn't understand good sound work on guns or how to make them feel actually in the scene. Ruined those gunfights for me. See Heat for how things should be.

I remember at least one review said 13 Hours' action was the closest Bay has come to making a Mann action scene. When I finally saw it all I kept thinking was what the hell the reviewers were thinking.

Lacking the extravaganza style of Woo's (although Breaking News one is also a beautiful piece of virtuoso filmmaking), To's mall scene in The Mission is the best one. From the buildup, the construction of the scene and how space awareness plays a huge part in it culminating in an incredible climax makes it the best one.

k4It3uq.jpg

He has a lot of good ones (the Ptu final one is a fucking exquisite piece of editing) but the simplicity of this one always impressed me the most.

pr0cs

Yah, my partner was a SEAL for years. He says this is the most tactically sound shootout in cinema.
"sound" is apropos too because the sound editing was stellar. Weapons not only sounded and behaved authentic but gave a sense at the danger involved in the scene. Heat's shootout is still one of the best of all time imo

eshwaaz

"sound" is apropos too because the sound editing was stellar. Weapons not only sounded and behaved authentic but gave a sense at the danger involved in the scene. Heat's shootout is still one of the best of all time imo
They tried doing the standard foley/sound library work in post for the gunfire, but Mann hated how inauthentic it sounded. He ended up going back to the audio recorded live during filming, so what we're hearing is what it actually sounded like. Wish more movies would do this.

Bleepey

OG John Woo. Hardboiled and the Killer
Elite Squad 1 and 2 the best Dredd movie
The Raid movies have their shootouts

Anung

Un Rama
That sudden explosion of violence was so good.

Love how Jamie Foxx flies through the door

57TjJQN.gif

More films need to go back to squibs. I know CGI blood is easier and more cost effective but it looks like shit compared to a good blood pack.

Loxley

More films need to go back to squibs. I know CGI blood is easier and more cost effective but it looks like shit compared to a good blood pack.

Literally my ONLY problem with the John Wick films are the digital muzzle flashes and blood. Like you said, it's definitely more cost-effective and more time efficient since they don't have to redress the actors and sets between every take, but the feeling of authenticity is definitely diminished somewhat.

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
I just love saying "squib" ... such a good word.

OT: Imo they picked the correct shootout for a "best of" list... Heat is just so raw and tense and hectic. Just perfect. With fuckin Val in perfect form. Love that whole movie and godamn.. that is the highlight.

Unforgiven gunfight at the end is great for so many reasons - not the least of which is after the whole ordeal is over and he's going to leave
"Any man i see out there i'm gonna kill him. Any sumbitch takes a shot at me I ain't only gonna kill him i'm gonna kill his wife. And all his friends. Burn his damn house down."

Fucking awesome.

Nice, my top 4 picks were all on the first page. Good on ya GAF.

I really liked the gunplay in Equilibrium.

Yup, plenty of great gun action and martial arts in this one. Got lost in the Matrix kerfuffle (released aroudn the same time) but is a high quality movie. Plus
Sean Bean dies
, as often happens in good movies and TV.

Shoot 'Em Up

70640_original.gif

My initial first thought. It goes into absurd territory often but I love every second of it. And carrots, for that matter.

Collateral's nightclub scene.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tTcrJdZgyUk

Hell, anything involving guns in Collateral. I love that fucking movie.

Yep, great call out. I especially enjoy the music during it (a Korean mix of Ready Steady Go). Michail Mann is a beast when he's on point, and it reminds me that I need to give Heat a re-watch.

The Matrix is almost 20 years old.

Yeah, that is probably the best single shootout in movie history. Not much else can be said.

There are also a few good shootouts in DREDD, but most are over quickly.

Sephzilla

On the RoboCop note, the original movie has a pretty nice gunfight as well

tumblr_lvsgwpj5lZ1qcga5ro1_500.gif

It's also probably the most one-sided gunfight in movie history

Great, underrated choice. Dang solid film too. Wish Costner made more Westerns.

I've seen a TON of westerns and I really don't think many of them compete with that shoot out. There's like a gritty sort of realism to all of the behaviors of everyone in the fight. The punch of the bullets and power of the shotguns is just amazing. It caps off an amazing story too. Definitely one of Costner's best films.

JWiLL

Banned
On the John Woo front - Hard Target. The best JCVD movie of all time, and a few of the fights have a nice mix of roundhouse kicks mixed with shooting.

John Wick movies are clearly the king of this topic though - the club scene from 1, and the catacombs scene from 2 are the big stand outs.

They're shorter scenes - but the shootouts in Collateral are amazing. Even the simple 3-tap briefcase scene is awesome.

Matthew Vaughn movies - Kickass + Kingsmen are up there too. Especially the church scene.

Megabat

It might not quite count, but the highway scene in Hell or High Water rules in a weird sort of way.

Also:
tumblr_nxohc6mdzS1tbcweeo1_400.gif

(Wong Kar-Wai's Fallen Angels)

The church scene is a great fight scene but were talking shootouts... Eggsy deserves more love,
5368621-1884207507-giphy.gif

5368619-4077145573-giphy.gif

Can't find the one where he starts wall jumping to dodge bullets...

Top Bottom