• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best HDR implementation in games so far

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
I think HDR in Ghost Recon: Wildlands looks really nice. At night, things are genuinely dark without looking as if the brightness is just turned down, and lights and colors that should be visible in the dark are really rich.

III-V

Horizon is my pick. Still get colour banding on my B6 though.

Is there any game making use of the wider colour gamut yet?

We can't know for sure unless the devs come out and specifically say so.

All games when HDR is enabled will use the wide color gamut container, BT2020 when sending color information, but more than likely, it is just 709 re-mapped into 2020.

It should, at least, provide for more color brightness without clipping due to the increase in peak brightness and that can be a really nice improvement in and of itself.

ItIsOkBro

Amazing - FFXV
I wouldn't blame you if you updated your equipment just to experience this game in HDR because it's that good.

Great - RE7
This game has the best calibration settings for HDR that all games should mimic. Ends up in 2nd because the environments aren't exactly the best showcase of HDR compared to FFXV

Good - Infamous
Not sure about improvements across the board, but I'm a sucker for seeing my TV light up when using powers. Probably one of the more straightforward avenues for HDR.

Good - Ratchet and Clank
It does look more naturally vibrant. But there are no settings at all, not even to switch it turn it on or off. I feel like the peak brightness is fairly conservative.

Okay - Uncharted 4
Could barely see a difference. The action scene looked awful.

Bad - Hitman
It looks like there's a grey layer over my entire screen.

Tagg9

I can't believe so few people are saying Horizon Zero Dawn.

Guerilla has had an HDR development pipeline since Killzone 2 and the engine maturity shows in this game. Colors are rich, blacks are perfectly deep without being crushed, contrast is amazing, and overall it just looks fucking on point.

Ffxv and lost legacy for me.
Horizon... Looks great but i dunno how much of it is hdr because its always super bright.

Re7 is great as well. Infamous feels almost too colorful and too dark in parts.
Ratchet and clank i cane barely even tell. Same for hitman.

I can't believe so few people are saying Horizon Zero Dawn.

Guerilla has had an HDR development pipeline since Killzone 2 and the engine maturity shows in this game. Colors are rich, blacks are perfectly deep without being crushed, contrast is amazing, and overall it just looks fucking on point.

Like 80% of the posts in this thread were made before Horizon: Zero Dawn released.

Gitaroo

Lost legacy and horizon easily. Ff15 might be good but the game taa makes the game very blurry ruined the entire iq. Ratchet is also good, crappy one are forza horizon 3, the game just looks very weird with it, sky box looks like its cel shaded.

Played Horizon, FFXV, Infamous, Rachet, Injustice 2 and Uncharted Lost Legacy on both a 55" 4k HDR set (XBR 850D) and a 60" 1080p Sony non hdr set from 2010 and ...

I can't tell any real difference, but I'm gonna let u guys cook.

MazeHaze

Banned
Played Horizon, FFXV, Infamous, Rachet, Injustice 2 and Uncharted Lost Legacy on both a 55" 4k HDR set (XBR 850D) and a 60" 1080p Sony non hdr set from 2010 and ...

I can't tell any real difference, but I'm gonna let u guys cook.

Probably because the IPS panel on that TV keeps it from displaying the contrast necessary for great HDR. I owned an 850D briefly and wasn't impressed at all.

The KS8000 and LG B7 on the other hand, whew.
Horizon ZD gets my vote for sure.

NightOnyx

FFXV and Horizon are the top for me. HDR in those game are truly something special to look at. I think HDR would be a lot more of a big deal if more games would have it at this level.

The Last Guardian and NBA 2k18 are also very good. Uncharted 4 and Uncharted: LL are just okay imo, I really wish they were better.

I feel like Destiny 2 could be top tier too whenever they add it. The game has amazing lighting and color already, so if they can get HDR looking as good as Horizon and FFXV, it will be incredible to look at.

Probably because the IPS panel on that TV keeps it from displaying the contrast necessary for great HDR. I owned an 850D briefly and wasn't impressed at all.

The KS8000 and LG B7 on the other hand, whew.
Horizon ZD gets my vote for sure.
Possibly, but I won't find out anytime soon because I'm not buying another set until 8k or higher resolution TV's become reasonably priced.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Amazing - FFXV
I wouldn't blame you if you updated your equipment just to experience this game in HDR because it's that good.

Great - RE7
This game has the best calibration settings for HDR that all games should mimic. Ends up in 2nd because the environments aren't exactly the best showcase of HDR compared to FFXV.

i don't agree with this at all, actually. i found re7 to be one of -the- most impressive hdr implementations so far, mainly because of it's emphasis on bright highlights in nearly every single area which provides wonderful levels of contrast. hdr is all about highlights and it clearly informed re7's visual design from the very beginning.

ideally, switching between sdr and hdr should yield nearly identical scenes in terms of brightness and color, with the noticable differences being isolated to the the highlights and dark areas that fall outside of rec709 color space. i found ffxv to be an eyesore because they just made everything absurdly bright, even at night. turning down the brightness is not a solution because, again, the whole point of hdr is to make highlights as bright as possible, which the tv can't do unless it's maxed out. i wish more games would have hdr support, but only if they're going to be re-graded appropriately instead of just cranking everything up to 11 and calling it a day.

Kyoufu

Horizon Zero Dawn's HDR is the best one I've seen so far, but with that game you'll really need a high-end LCD TV that can push above 1500 nits to get the most out of it.

Disagree on infamous, hdr looks great.

And you do know hdr is not only not supported in the system menu/screenshot viewer but actually not even captured in screenshots right?

Sony even so say officially;
https://support.us.playstation.com/...icle/Take-and-Share-PlayStation-4-Screenshots

And the screenshots posted are utterly useless. Perfect example is The Witnesss and Uncharted pics someone added on page 2. The so called hdr screens look worse than sdr, they are capturing less detail. The sky in those pics in the hdr labelled pics is not showing the extra colour gradation and detail that hdr provides. Again, pointless and actually doing more harm than good for people who have yet to experience it with their own eyes.

The best looking hdr is in Madden and Battlefield imo.

lol! I was wondering why the OP excluded Horizon: Zero Dawn...this thread was made before it, anyway my picks are

Ghost Recon Wildlands
FF VX
Uncharted: LL
Last of US

I think Infamous: SS looked really good at night; the neon powers really look fantastic!

I am yet to try Horizon though; my friend is borrowing it and I have been able to try it with my Pro/4K tv....hopeully will get the chane to play it along with the upcoming DLC

This thread has made me happy that I've held off on jumping in on 4K/HDR even though I bought a Pro. The variation in settings required, the huge discrepancies in subjective good/bad implementation views...it's a TV FFS, I just want to plug my HDMI cable in, calibrate once & go.

That's pretty much what I did and I'm very happy with performance, you shouldn't need to touch so much things, just a one time setting and that's it. I bet these people have bionic eyes

How is that relevant to the topic (as you mentioned your TV got no HDR)

Nah, I was just joking. Reading all the HDR experiences makes me really want to try it.

From what I'm reading though, seems like the HORIZON games on either Xbox or PlayStation give the beste HDR experiences! Horizon Zero Dawn and Forza Horizon 3.

Correct color and lighting....it's very subtle and its effect is really depending on the developer's implementation...

Isn't HDR closer to 75% of what your eyes can see of colour differences too, rather than the 50% SDR screens have.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Isn't HDR closer to 75% of what your eyes can see of colour differences too, rather than the 50% SDR screens have.

it's more like 30% for sdr, 50% for current hdr tech, and 70% once displays can finally use the entirety of rec2020

it's that and having the ability to display bright highlights with no clipping or loss of detail in dark scenes. the peak luminance and the ability to display the WCG go hand in hand

it's more like 30% for sdr, 50% for current hdr tech, and 70% once displays can finally use the entirety of rec2020

it's that and having the ability to display bright highlights with no clipping or loss of detail in dark scenes. the peak luminance and the ability to display the WCG go hand in hand
Interesting! Sounds like the tech really can become insanely good.

this is just technicalities though....ultimately, i think HDR can be of enquired taste..

for example i prefer my image to more of more color saturation (and mildly 'instagramed') but having HDR can make the color seems 'duller' and darker....thus i switch off for some games like UC: Lost legacy as i wanted to grass to look greener (through my personal calibration) but having HDR makes the grass 'duller'...

Kyoufu

this is just technicalities though....ultimately, i think HDR can be of enquired taste..

for example i prefer my image to more of more color saturation (and mildly 'instagramed') but having HDR can make the color seems 'duller' and darker....thus i switch off for some games like UC: Lost legacy as i wanted to grass to look greener (through my personal calibration) but having HDR makes the grass 'duller'...

HDR isn't about having an acquired taste. It's about showing more detail that SDR is incapable of showing.

If you prefer SDR, that's fine, it's your preference, but you're losing out on visual detail. It's why HDR is a big deal for the video game and film industries and why the companies in said industries are pushing the technology heavily.

CyberChulo

Horizon is my pick. Still get colour banding on my B6 though.

Is there any game making use of the wider colour gamut yet?

What area or scene are you getting color banding? I haven't noticed any on a Sony Z9D or XBR 940C.

The only time I've noticed color banding was in the last camping scene in FFXV.

Capture.jpg

Malcolm9

Depends on the tv, I wasn't that impressed with KS8000 last year so I picked up the Sony XD93 instead and the HDR looks great.

Uncharted 4 and FF XV look great in particular, but the HDR in the recent FIFA 18 demo is quite funny, one stadium looks like you have a piss filter over the screen, where other stadiums look great.

Kyoufu

Depends on the tv, I wasn't that impressed with KS8000 last year so I picked up the Sony XD93 instead and the HDR looks great.

Uncharted 4 and FF XV look great in particular, but the HDR in the recent FIFA 18 demo is quite funny, one stadium looks like you have a piss filter over the screen, where other stadiums look great.

I actually turned off HDR because FIFA 18's implementation is the worst I've ever seen. It's like playing the game in black and white.

luka

Loves Robotech S1

you're misunderstanding things. hdr is just an expanded range of color and luminance to supplement sRGB and YUV that finally lets creators use the capabilties of modern displays rather than being limited by decades old standards.

your poor experiences come from improper implementation on the software side, and immature technology on the hardware side, that's all. 'correct' mastering of content in hdr shouldn't exhibit such drastic differences in color balance and brightness across the board.

Ammogeddon

My TV got an HDR firmware update around the same the the pro came out. Took a little bit of figuring out to set up mind. I am very impressed with the results. I just wish more games were getting the support. Dice had been promising an HDR patch for BF1 and it never came. Is it hard/expensive to put it into a game?

Malcolm9

I actually turned off HDR because FIFA 18's implementation is the worst I've ever seen. It's like playing the game in black and white.

I think it's like that using the King Fahad stadium, it's a really odd implementation of HDR. When the full game is out you can tinker with the different day and weather settings which should help. You can also adjust the HDR in the menus.

My TV got an HDR firmware update around the same the the pro came out. Took a little bit of figuring out to set up mind. I am very impressed with the results. I just wish more games were getting the support. Dice had been promising an HDR patch for BF1 and it never came. Is it hard/expensive to put it into a game?

HDR was patched into BF1 a couple weeks ago. It took them forever, but they got there.

I love HDR.

It really adds something to Gears 4 and especially Forza Horizon 3. Makes the lighting even better. And HDR is brilliant at showing metallic shaders off - which is great for car games.

Really looking forward to playing Forza Motorsport 7 this evening in HDR.

Smokey

Now that GT Sport demo is out, it needs to be mentioned. Best implementation of HDR so far on consoles, imo.

NBA2K18 is also solid, and I found Matterfall pretty good too.

Alright, here's the problem , none of us have multiple TV sets to compare HDR
and about half of us probably don't know how to set it up correctly.

And it's truly unfortunate since all gamers will be doing themselves a disservice if we don't support HDR and demand
such features to be implemented in every single game going forward.

I happen to own the KS8000 TV - and if set up correctly with Final Fantasy XV
it's truly stunning and game changing.

Not having HDR is like if someone pasted a Warm Gray rectangle layer (45% opacity) and layered it on top of your entire screen.

^ This is the best way I can describe it.

Zuzzissm0

What area or scene are you getting color banding? I haven't noticed any on a Sony Z9D or XBR 940C.

The only time I've noticed color banding was in the last camping scene in FFXV.

Capture.jpg

assassins creed origins looks like this everytime its dark in game for me on xbox one x

Gitaroo

Most games I have seen are good, OP should ask what the worst hdr implementation so far I think that is easier to answer. My pick would be forza horizon 3. Something looks very off with the skybox and color is very muted, maybe worse than sdr even. Might have something to do with no wide color gamut suppprt for games but shouldn't be worse though.

Top Bottom