• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best mouse for PC gaming?

LCGeek

formerly sane
What is the difference between the g400 & the g500? I've been using my g500 for years but now the sensor seems to not work occasionally and the buttons will switch bindings occasionally (no idea what happened).

A lot of people from a previous thread said the g400 >>> g500, thoughts?

Here's a thread on the two

A G400s is probably my fav of the mentioned mice in that instance. You want s no angle snapping and works better at 500hz 1000hz.

fedexpeon

Banned
I use this one as well. I have the last two side buttons and the two top buttons mapped to esc, backspace, space and enter. They're very handy for normal desktop stuff like web browsing and spreadsheets.

26-104-674-TS

Shieeeeet.
I never thought of this.
Time to buy another one for my work computer.
But too much productively means they will tell me to get off of GAF while at work...Hmm.

SerTapTap

Here's a thread on the two

A G400s is probably my fav of the mentioned mice in that instance. You want s no angle snapping and works better at 500hz 1000hz.

Don't entirely agree with the review here, I guess it's a matter of opinion. I adore the textured surface of the G500, have never misclicked LMB when changing DPI and I find the 3 thumb buttons extremely easy to manage (I love these so much for Borderlands 2). The weights are great too, I keep it fairly heavy. And the shape of the G500 is absolutely perfect for my hand, it's like I made it. Might be too large for smaller hands. I guess I should mention I palm grip and the above claw grip mouse horrifies me. G5XX models are great for palm.

Nikodemos

Depends entirely on your grip style. A mouse that claw users swear upon might not fit a palm grip at all. As a finger grip user, I don't like many of the mice posted here due to their weight, ergonomics and button placement.

def sim

A sensei raw or maybe even a deathadder are pretty good. Turn off all the LED and they're perfectly good looking, comfortable, and accurate mice.

mr stroke

Steelseries Sensei Raw is some of the best bang for your buck if price is a concern at all. I've had mine for two years now and it's still going strong.

But yeah, this. The "best" depends heavily on the features you need and how you actually use it.
+1
I've used tons of different mice and the Steel series Sensei Raw is still my favorite, it's very minimal but flawless in the hand and so smooth, light looks cool too :p

Ark

I love my G502. I'm tempted to buy another one so I have a new one on-hand for when I feel like moving to a new mouse.

Edwardo

I have a Razer Naga Hex. I love the feel and side buttons, but dust gets in the scroll wheel and messes with my scrolling.

Another vote for G502. It's Logitech's best mouse to date.

If that's a little too rich for your blood though, consider the G402. Almost as good, almost as many buttons, and can be had on Amazon for $40. No weight adjustment, not as high of DPI, but otherwise a great performer.

Elitist1945

I love my Razer Ouroborous. Not sure if people would consider it the best, though. It's definitely the best I've used.

sgjackson

figure out whether or not you're a palm or a claw gripper then buy whatever crazy mice sensor nerds say is best for your grip.

i'm a palm gripper with relatively large hands so i generally skew towards logitech mice. the sensor in the new g502 is really good. i also agree that it's ugly as piss and i wish they'd gone with a simpler finish and rgb backlighting instead of the crazy paint.

Steelseries Sensei Raw is some of the best bang for your buck if price is a concern at all. I've had mine for two years now and it's still going strong.

But yeah, this. The "best" depends heavily on the features you need and how you actually use it.

I also use the Steelseries Sensei and definitely recommend it. Sadly, about 3 years after purchase, the middle mouse button is starting to register double-clicks, so I'll need to get it replaced, but I'm just going to get the same mouse.

I previously used a Razer Naga Hex, which was great for Dota, but it had some reliability issues for me. Both middle mouse and right mouse button died a bit over 1 year into owning it.

It honestly comes down to what are the feature you think you need. Do you need lots of buttons? Do you just want a simple, precise mouse? Many people here have given great options. Really comes down to the types of games you play most often. When I was really into Dota 2, I purchased the Razer, but once it died, I realized I just wanted a simpler mouse.

Piggus

Mx518 is what I use old mouse and love it

The right click on mine finally died after about 4 years, so I just bought whatever Logitech's new replacement is and then put on the "dented metal" cover from the 518. It's like I'm still using the 518, but with a better DPI!

Shai-Tan

Banned
I'm pretty sure some of the newer Logitech mice are just as good as the mx518 but mine haven't failed yet so I continue to use them. When I originally bought them they were very cheap ($35-40) but the price went up when they realized there was demand for it

Yuuichi

I have a SteelSeries Rival, and while I really like it and it's done me well, my fingers have left imprints in the soft-plastic rests on both sides, so I'm probably going to have to replace it sooner or later with something completely solid.

eMpTy23

Here's the mouse section of the "I need a new PC" thread we have going on that generally gives some really good advice:

Keep in mind that the prices are quite outdated and can generally be found for much less these days. In any event, I, for one, highly recommend the Logitech G502.

I own the M45. While it feels absolutely amazing in the hands, only beaten by the M65 IMO, it has a very long distance before mouse clicks are recognized. This is bad for someone trying to play more "competitive" games.

I dunno about "best" (that's kinda subjective anyway), but I've been very happy with my Steelseries Sensei...moreso than any Logitech I've used. I have the non-rubberized version.

The Steelseries Engine software is unreliable (it often doesn't recognize my mouse), but it's not necessary either especially after initial setup.

Dr.Acula

Banned

I have a raw, but the only problem is if you want to rebind the buttons (and you do), you have to run the software in the background or the bindings don't save. The regular Sensei has on board profile so you don't have to run any software. It's like 100+ megs in process, and who knows if it's taking CPU. It's 30 bucks more, but the money you save on the raw results in a gimped product.

mkenyon

Banned
Okay. I know a lot of people have an anecdotal opinion on gaming mice, and that's great. Everyone enjoys their flavors. Here is a list of mice that have legit sensors with zero interpolation at 800dpi (which is the max anyone should be at anyway), and zero native acceleration. You might be thinking, "well, I don't really need that unless I'm a pro gamer", but I can guarantee you that there have been a large number of times where you actually should have had that, and the mouse failed you. It's just hard to notice that when you are 100% accustomed to it. So yeah, buy one of these:

- Microsoft WMO 1.1
- Microsoft IMO 1.1
- Microsoft IME 3.0
- Zowie FK
- Zowie AM
- Zowie FK1
- Zowie EC1 CL
- Zowie EC1 eVo
- Zowie EC2 CL
- Zowie EC2 eVo
- Razer Deathadder 3G
- Razer Deathadder 3.5G
- Razer Deathadder 2013
- Razer Abyssus
- Logitech G302
- Logitech G400
- Logitech G400s
- Logitech G502
- Logitech G402
- Steelseries Kana V2
- Steelseries Rival
- Mionix Avoir 7000
- Cooler Master Storm Spawn
- Cooler master Storm Alcor
- Roccat Savu
- Roccat Kone Pure Optical
- Roccat Kone Pure Military
- Mad Catz R.A.T. 3
- Corsair M45
- Corsair Sabre Optical

There's been some others that have released in the last 6 months that also have quality optical sensors. People are leaving behind the shit laser sensors as the arms race for "highest DPI on the box" is being exposed for the total sham that it is.

IMO, I'd say M45 if you Palm, Hybrid, or switch between Palm and Claw for different things. G302 if you're a claw gamer. G402 if you are 100% palm.

derExperte

Went from a G9 to a Roccat Kone Pure Optical and so far I'm very satisfied, try that one if you have small-ish hands, most other mice are too big for mine.

So it's between the G502 and the G600 for me now. Leaning toward the G502 though since that seems ergonomically better for an fps like CSGO.

Quick question though, if I have a pretty slippery desk, do I need a mousepad? Haven't used one in like a year.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Hard to beat Sensei Raw for all-around gaming. You can find really good deals for the branded-versions after the game in question has faded. I have a codblopsII sensei raw that cost me about $18, for example.

Dezzy

I've had a Razer Naga 2012 Edition for a couple years now and I love it. It's called an MMO mouse because of the buttons, but they come in handy for all types of games.

EpicBox

Can't really go overly wrong with the Corsair Raptor M4.

26-816-014-02.jpg

It has all the standard bells and whistles. Nice grip, side buttons, great wheel, instant sensitivity toggle (DPI) and generally looking sexy. And they're cheaper than most of the other ones mentioned here.

It also has removable weights, which isn't that great a feature even if the weight of the mouse bothers you to begin with.

yatesl

As lots have people have said, the G502 is very good.

However, if you have large hands, you may find your little finger and the one next to it rubbing on the desk/mouse mat at first, until you adjust your grip.

Here's some indepth photos because I'm bored.

mkenyon

Banned
what's the reason for getting a 402 over a 502?
502 is bulky as fuck and weighs a ton. It also offers zero hybrid control, needing 100% palm action. That means super low sens @ 800DPI with a giant mousepad. When you do that, having something that weighs quite a bit more is objectively worse.

However, that's like the last 1% min/maxing for the best possible mouse. The G502 is still a great one with a great sensor, hence it's inclusion on the list. Just doesn't quite make the "best of the best", IMO.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member

I'm still using an Intellimouse 3.0 from 2003 that came with the Alienware PC I got for my 16th birthday.

sgjackson

502 is bulky as fuck and weighs a ton. It also offers zero hybrid control, needing 100% palm action. That means super low sens @ 800DPI with a giant mousepad. When you do that, having something that weighs quite a bit more is objectively worse.

noted for future reference. i have a g400s in good condition so i'm probably not upgrading i the near future.

vocab

So it's between the G502 and the G600 for me now. Leaning toward the G502 though since that seems ergonomically better for an fps like CSGO.

Quick question though, if I have a pretty slippery desk, do I need a mousepad? Haven't used one in like a year.

If you want a consistent surface, yes get a mouse pad. A qck is really all you need.

Do you play competitive multiplayer games? If no, any mouse will do. Logitech will probably last the longest.

If yes, get a mouse that's wired. Wireless creates input lag. The second thing to look for is ergonomics. Most pro gamers prefer mice that only have 4-5 buttons max. There's no point to having 1000 buttons on a mouse and the more buttons the harder they are to press. Also make sure the buttons are large enough to press comfortably. DPI isn't really a big deal, don't be fooled.

I prefer the Deathadder because the side buttons are large and easy to press. I've been using mine for about 2 years without any problems. Some people will tell you they're made cheaply and break easily. Maybe they do, I've never had a problem with it and I've put significant use into. Again, Logitech is considered the highest quality.

Top Bottom