• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best new 80's style songs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
A definitely a good amount of M83 tracks, especially Skin of the Night and Up!

M83 - Up!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hu989cBxSLA

Even has a segment referring to Kate Bush's Hounds of Love <33333 "But the hounds of love they bite our heel as we retreat". Also Christian&#65279; Dior's vocals, so in love with her.

I personally prefer the synth sound but slower, not driving too hard.

Sol.. said:

Oh my, your taste! So good.

Chromatics and Glass Candy, dig em' so much.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Two mainstream songs that immediately pop to mind:

Need You Now, by Lady Antebellum. It would have sounded right at home at any prom in the 80s.

California Gurls, by Katy Perry. When I first heard it I thought Prince was producing Minneapolis funk wave again, and sure enough Perry cites Prince as one of her main inspirations for the song.

Solo

SteveMeister said:
Two mainstream songs that immediately pop to mind:

Need You Now, by Lady Antebellum. It would have sounded right at home at any prom in the 80s.

California Gurls, by Katy Perry. When I first heard it I thought Prince was producing Minneapolis funk wave again, and sure enough Perry cites Prince as one of her main inspirations for the song.

Keeping with mainstream hits, Maroon 5's "Makes Me Wonder" is pure funky disco.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrF8vxLRDNE

Mission

modernkicks said:
Forgot about M83...Graveyard Girl is a nice choice, I'd throw in Kim and Jessie as well. Great Fall album.

I was just short on time so I picked the one that sounded most 80s to me and went with it... Kim and Jessie is a better song but I don't think it sounds 80s.

forrest

formerly nacire
Check out The Pass. Really great music with a strong 80's influence.
the_pass_1.jpg

-NeoTB1-

I support the hell out of this thread. No songs to add, but some of the suggestions here have really made me research the recent "resurgence" of 80s style music. Best. Decade. Ever.

Medalion

Banned
80's influenced music has seeped into popular music so much in the 00's that when I listen to songs that are actually from the 80's...they don't sound old, they sound quite modern which is weird, because in the 90's I thought 80's music, while catchy, the production was so horrendous and very 80's as if it was a bad thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom