• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best obscure/unkown 90s movies

Kagey K

Banned
So similar to the previous thread I made, I'm looking for the best Obscure 90s movies that you think nobody has seen.

With the rise of Tarintino in the 90s I expect people will have a lot more to choose from.

It's seems like this is the period the Althouse filmmaker really took off.

I don't want Jurrasic Park, Forrest Gump or Bodyguard recommendations here.

I'm looking for stuff like Highway to Hell, Kids, Strange Days or Arena.

Let's focus strictly on movies from 1990 - 1999 in this one.

Last edited:
The_Guyver_poster.jpg
FreakedVHS.jpg
p15123_v_v8_aa.jpg
Toy_Soldiers.jpg
p21262_p_v8_ab.jpg

Kagey K

Banned
I've seen judgement night(and bought its amazing metal/rap soundtrack its in my top albums of all time), Toy Soldiers (which i think is better than Red Dawn) and Dirty Work. The other 2 are new to me.

So thanks already this thread is a success.

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
This movie made me love Capoeira.

It's like The Principal or Dangerous Minds but with cool fighting. (Rooftops (movie) exposed me to it, but this movie and Eddie in Tekken made me appreciate it.)

Fun fact I was asked at a job interview once about something I was interested in and cited this movie and capoeria as the answer.

Last edited:

p_xavier

Authorized Fister
This movie made me love Capoeira.

It's like The Principal or Dangerous Minds but with cool fighting. (Rooftops (movie) exposed me to it, but this movie and Eddie in Tekken made me appreciate it.)

Fun fact I was asked at a job interview once about something I was interested in and cited this movie and capoeria as the answer.
world cup GIF

Nico_D

I loved this, also had the soundtrack CD. Afraid to watch it now in case it no longer holds up.

Same. I watched it few times back then. Lacking courage to rewatch it now. It is supposed to be actually good and not just nostalgy.

BigBooper

The Legend of 1900 was pretty good shmatlz.
Truman Capote`s A Christmas Memory
The Hudsucker Proxy

Fire in the Sky - The best alien obduction movie ever. It is a little slow at first. I recommend not looking up anything about it if it interests you.
BsohewW.jpg

Bottle Rocket This is my favorite Wes Anderson comedy. It's very relaxed and absurd.

KM4Dkfz.jpg

GeekyDad

Fire in the Sky - The best alien obduction movie ever. It is a little slow at first. I recommend not looking up anything about it if it interests you.
BsohewW.jpg

It's been many years since I've seen it, but it's one my brother and I both adored. Might have to re-watch it, since it's available on Prime right now.

Sophist

Don't want to say too much.

For people who already have seen it:
Amazing plot twist/surprise ending. Night Shyamalan and his Sixth Sense were praised for the final twist but this movie did it a decade before. It was one of the main influences for Silent Hill, especially for the bad ending of the game. IIRC

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
How was it? Should I dare?
TBH it hasn't aged badly at all.

Granted if you look at it through today's lens, Kids have the voices the movie preaches, but it holds up as a story and a nostalgia piece.

I think a lot of what the movie said back then applies even more now. "I eat lunch by myself in the stairs." "I didn't talk to a person all day" might resonate more now than it did when I was a kid.

It's funny how not talking to a person was abnormal behavior at the time, but now this is what ppl want

Last edited:

protonion

I saw this movie as a teen very late on tv.
It really stuck in my mind for a long time and I actually had to describe the plot in forums years later to get the name.

I have not seen it again since mid nineties but I would really like to.

Kagey K

Banned
F
Men_at_work_ver2.jpg
If you like the principle and havnt seen it try
Substituteposter.jpg
Love all 3 of these movies, only one we haven't watched yet was Airborne, (my favorite of the 3)

Seth Green, Jack Black and ppl calling others women's clothing. Brah.

I saw this movie as a teen very late on tv.
It really stuck in my mind for a long time and I actually had to describe the plot in forums years later to get the name.

I have not seen it again since mid nineties but I would really like to.
This I have never seen. Going into the watch list.

Last edited:
Top Bottom