• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best way to play Street Fighter Alpha 2 and SSF on modern consoles?

Bulk_Rate

I used to love SFA2 (and other Capcom fighters) on my Saturn (sadly sold).

What's the best way to currently play Street Fighter Alpha 2 (and maybe 3) as well as Super Street Fighter II? I have PS2 (not hooked up but can be) PS3, PS4, 360, Wii, Wii U and GC.

It looks as if the PS2 Alpha collection is good?

I am not obsessed with arcade perfection but want something as good as SFA2 was on my Saturn.

Thanks!
Old dude

Bizarro13

Neo Member
Use Fightcade. Console versions suck because of the load times (that you might remember from playing on your Saturn)

Games run great on Fightcade and you can play people online.

Street Fighter Alpha Anthology on the PS2 is a good way to play them it has all the alhpa games and gem fighter. It also has Hyper Street Fighter Alpha (versus only)

The PS2 version of Street Fighter Alpha 2 Gold (in the Alpha Anthology) is the best there is. Completely arcade-perfect, and you get excellent versions of the other two Alpha games and Pocket Fighter too.

For Super Street Fighter II the SNES version on Wii VC is pretty good, though not based on the arcade version obviously. I think one of the Capcom Classics Collections on PS2 has it but I can't speak for the quality of the emulation there.

kuYuri

PS2 has access to Street Fighter Alpha Anthology and there's also Hyper Street Fighter II included with the Street Fighter Anniversary Collection, which allows you to play all SF2 versions of the characters, assuming they were in that game.

Zophar

Alpha Anthology is the way to go.

SSF is a little tougher. Capcom Classics Collection vol. 2 on PS2 has SSF2T in it, and it's serviceable emulation. You could also try Street Fighter Collection on PS1 or Street Fighter Anniversary Collection's "Hyper Street Fighter II" as options, but if you're a purist each has their own problems.

Tizoc

SF Zero series is prob. the PS2 SF Zero Collection on PS2
Hyper Street Fighter II on PS2 is also worth checking out.

interestingly enough, SF Zero 2 on JP PSN, being the PSOne classic, is 2 games in one: Super SF2 and Super SF2 Turbo as well as SF Zero 2.
h9nUQla.jpg

D.Lo

Depends on your screen.

PS2 Zero collection is solid, but just the arcade game and does not support 240p, so looks like smeared garbage on a CRT.

Saturn was by far the best contemporary version of Zero 2, beautiful 240p output, and has the amazing remixed soundtrack. Bit of load time, the voices are a bit off, and a slightly off resolution (cuts off the sides of the screen on the edges a tiny bit, due to Saturn not supporting the arcade resolution). Also looks great through a Framemesiter. And dat pad. So really, get another Saturn.

Knurek

If any of your consoles is jailbroken, you might want to check if there is a Retroarch build available for it. Pretty sure there's one for PS3 and Wii/WiiU.

MrDoctor

alpha anthology on ps2 is the best you can do without going mame/fightcade on pc

super street fighter is on the wii/wii u virtual console. og wii virtual console has the fantastic tg-16 port of champion edition, as well.

Fularu

Banned
The PS2 version of Street Fighter Alpha 2 Gold (in the Alpha Anthology) is the best there is. Completely arcade-perfect, and you get excellent versions of the other two Alpha games and Pocket Fighter too.

For Super Street Fighter II the SNES version on Wii VC is pretty good, though not based on the arcade version obviously. I think one of the Capcom Classics Collections on PS2 has it but I can't speak for the quality of the emulation there.
Afaik it's not 240p (sfa anthology)

Nheco

Nope

He should buy a used wii for 40$, softmod it and run fba in 240p

argh, composite cables. Also, the PSP version has 10 more fighters than arcade, almost 0 loading times and all arcade frames. It sucked to play on PSP/Vita. But on Vita Tv with a PS3 or PS4 controller? Perfection.

If you're not some tournament purist, Ultra Street Fighter 2 is gonna be out on Switch on Friday, that may be the best way to play SSF2 on modern consoles, especially once the Hori arcade stick comes out.

+1 for using FBA/Retroarch Wii

Out of the consoles you own that's your best bet. You can play the original arcade versions in 240p

notworksafe

If you're not some tournament purist, Ultra Street Fighter 2 is gonna be out on Switch on Friday, that may be the best way to play SSF2 on modern consoles, especially once the Hori arcade stick comes out.
what an answer

the ps2 collection is the way to go, op. hell, if the saturn version is your baseline anything will work other than the snes version

D.Lo

what an answer

the ps2 collection is the way to go, op. hell, if the saturn version is your baseline anything will work other than the snes version
Uh, what? PS2 collection does not play in the correct resolution so looks terrible on a CRT. And the Saturn version is vastly superior to the PS1 version.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Streetfighter alpha 2 best version released on snes.
You better believe it.

D

Deleted member 284

Unconfirmed Member
Streetfighter alpha 2 best version released on snes.
You better believe it.

Don't believe these lies.

Edit: That being said, what the hell Capcom?? Why hasn't SFA Anthologies been made available on either the PS3 or PS4 digitally yet?

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Performance aside the sprites did look really good for SNES. They used an additional chip in the cart.
Yup and the so called loading times are just decompressing data.

The dont need to do it but it adds tension before the fight.

Best version 😍😍

Fularu

Banned
what an answer

LOL

The Saturn version is the closest to the arcade of any home conversion version. The only downsaide are some (rare) frames missing and the Saturn resolution which slightly squashes the game horizontaly.

You either go Saturn or you go FBA on a Wii for proper 240p output.

Amakusa

Super NES, best way.
But to be real, just download the game online using Mame. Play it that way PC 4life

BOTEC

I'm in a similar boat to the OP, but PS2 is not an option, and SF Alpha 1 is my preferred game. "Modern console" = HDMI video out. What's my best bet? PS1 classics on PS3?

SF Zero series is prob. the PS2 SF Zero Collection on PS2
Hyper Street Fighter II on PS2 is also worth checking out.

interestingly enough, SF Zero 2 on JP PSN, being the PSOne classic, is 2 games in one: Super SF2 and Super SF2 Turbo as well as SF Zero 2.
h9nUQla.jpg

This is such an awesome deal. (something like $8 on J-PSN) I feel the cover image they used might sell it short. This is Street Fighter Collection. You even need to "switch discs" via the emulator menu.

Skilletor

Better than what feels like 18 minutes of load time between fights, or double that to continue, on PSX.

lmao

No, the shittiest port with the shittiest gameplay with the most frames of animation missing of any version of the game isn't better than some load times.

Fularu

Banned
I'm in a similar boat to the OP, but PS2 is not an option, and SF Alpha 1 is my preferred game. "Modern console" = HDMI video out. What's my best bet? PS1 classics on PS3?

This is such an awesome deal. (something like $8 on J-PSN) I feel the cover image they used might sell it short. This is Street Fighter Collection. You even need to "switch discs" via the emulator menu.

You can't find a 40$ used Wii? Because that's the best option.

Top Bottom