• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bethesda details their "BE3 Plus" show (pre-show, post-show, concert), teaser image

Sotha_Sil

Has there been any word on how long the next TES has been in development for (if at all)?

There's no doubt the game is in pre-production already, and probably has been for a long time. If it's anything like their past releases, a good chunk of the team went to TES VI after Fallout 4 finished, with the remainder finishing up the expansions.

That being said, I wouldn't expect it for at least two more years, with a reveal sometime next year.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
I can dismiss it out of hand. Everybody and their dog knows what they're working on so there's no need to announce it. They probably don't even have a full team working on it yet, so it's definitely a few years off, and they've been running with shorter marketing cycles. You won't hear about it until it's six months from release, and that'll be E3 2018 or 2019.

Okay, well, opinions are nice to have. Thanks for sharing yours. I do not share them.

Hoping for new MachineGames' title and Evil Within 2 (of whatever Mikami is working on).

From the announced games, only Dishonored 2 has my interest.

Keasar

Hoping for new MachineGames' title and Evil Within 2 (of whatever Mikami is working on).

From the announced games, only Dishonored 2 has my interest.

These two. A new MachineGames would probably be the most exciting considering how great Wolfenstein: The New Order was.

Plus a proper Obsidian written and developed Fallout. Though I have my doubts that A: Obsidian really wanna work with Bethesda again after that whole "85+ Metacritic or fuck you"-thing and B: Bethesda gives a shit since Fallout could be a open-world shooter without dialogue and anything resembling a RPG and people would still buy it and call it the best Fallout.

WanderingWind

Pardon me for responding to your posts.

I mean, I don't know what else you want here. You have a point of view. I have another. Honestly, I'm just not interesting in a slap fight over such a minor quibble as the possibility of a surprise announcement. You dismiss the idea out of hand. What further discussion do you believe there to be after announcing that? I don't begrudge you your point of view or anything. I'm simply stating that I do not share it. It is not an attack on you or your view.

Dream scenario: TES VI Reveal + Playable Demo + Release in October.

They did say they wish the cycle from reveal to release was shorter.

And we wont get the next Elder Scrolls for quite a while. Its one of the reasons I think a Skyrim remaster is coming.

I think this is a smart bet. Especially when they teased it by saying the first stage of getting their engine to run on current gen consoles for Fallout 4 was by porting Skyrim to the Xbox One. Sounds like a lot of the leg work was already done this time last year.

Regarding TES6, all we know is it's been in development since 2011 with the trademark "Redguard", with that trademark having been renewed multiple times since then and still being listed as active. To do so requires proof of work in progress to the relevant authorities since it isn't a commercially available game, which is also how we know it isn't related to the old "TES Adventures" game of the same name (other old TES games no longer commercially available all have dead trademarks, such as Battlespire, Arena, Daggerfall). We know Todd only has one team, with one game in full production, and usually one in pre-production, though it sounds like the team now has two games in pre-production with the talk of a new IP.

So safe bets for Bethesda Game Studios are TES6: Redguard in full development with a late 2018 release date, with Fallout 5 and a new IP in pre-production, likely with the new IP coming first. Bonus bet for outsourcing another Fallout game to Obsidian to plug the gap until Fallout 5.

Dream scenario: TES VI Reveal + Playable Demo + Release in October.

They did say they wish the cycle from reveal to release was shorter.

You don't want that. Their team is only 100 odd strong, so nowhere near enough to manage two huge games at the same time. A late 2016 release would mean TES6 only has one year of full development time. It would be awful.

I mean, I don't know what else you want here. You have a point of view. I have another. Honestly, I'm just not interesting in a slap fight over such a minor quibble as the possibility of a surprise announcement. You dismiss the idea out of hand. What further discussion do you believe there to be after announcing that? I don't begrudge you your point of view or anything. I'm simply stating that I do not share it. It is not an attack on you or your view.

Fair enough. It is a discussion board and you said you weren't sure where I was coming from, so I elaborated.

The way it was phrased made me think it was a little snarky but it's hard not to sound terse in text. All good fella.

Raven77

I think this is a smart bet. Especially when they teased it by saying the first stage of getting their engine to run on current gen consoles for Fallout 4 was by porting Skyrim to the Xbox One. Sounds like a lot of the leg work was already done this time last year.

Regarding TES6, all we know is it's been in development since 2011 with the trademark "Redguard", with that trademark having been renewed multiple times since then and still being listed as active. To do so requires proof of work in progress to the relevant authorities since it isn't a commercially available game, which is also how we know it isn't related to the old "TES Adventures" game of the same name (other old TES games no longer commercially available all have dead trademarks, such as Battlespire, Arena, Daggerfall). We know Todd only has one team, with one game in full production, and usually one in pre-production, though it sounds like the team now has two games in pre-production with the talk of a new IP.

So safe bets for Bethesda Game Studios are TES6: Redguard in full development with a late 2018 release date, with Fallout 5 and a new IP in pre-production, likely with the new IP coming first. Bonus bet for outsourcing another Fallout game to Obsidian to plug the gap until Fallout 5.

Honestly...this scares the hell out of me. I don't want a Elder Scrolls 6 game that started on old hardware and has been ported to hell and back. I'd rather wait another 2 years and get one built from the ground up on next gen tech.

Honestly...this scares the hell out of me. I don't want a Elder Scrolls 6 game that started on old hardware and has been ported to hell and back. I'd rather wait another 2 years and get one built from the ground up on next gen tech.

Pre-production literally just means concept art, story design, working out mechanics on paper, etc. All the background work necessary to ensure the whole team can get to work on their new game almost immediately after Fallout 4 has shipped, rather than the majority of them twiddling their thumbs while the team leads decide what they want to do and how they want to do it.

If it's an engine concern you have, bear in mind this is technically the same engine as Morrowind. The game will end up looking significantly more advanced than Fallout 4, which spent literally half of its full development time with no concrete information on its targeted console generation's hardware, and no idea whether to make it cross gen or gamble on next gen adoption numbers being high enough to go all-in on new consoles. They're going into TES6 knowing exactly what they have to work with.

Xiao Hu

Great minds. :p

Haha, indeed :D

I don't see Bethesda ever letting another studio touch a mainline ES game. The MMO was one thing but I doubt they will let someone else make one. Fallout was an IP they bought not created

Extremely
unlikely to happen.

Obsidian creating Fallout 4.5 is a better wish that'll hopefully come true.

I don't see it either. I also don't know of anybody else who would be capable to create an authentic iteration in this series like Obsidian could. They are really good in taking an existing universe, immerse themselves far enough and produce their own interpretation of a franchise while staying faithful to its roots. Concerning Fallout it might have been because many former developers of the original Fallout ended up at Obsidian they were so successful with New Vegas. TES is indeed a different case but I stay with my point that Obsidian are the best for a potential TES 5.5.

WanderingWind

Fair enough. It is a discussion board and you said you weren't sure where I was coming from, so I elaborated.

The way it was phrased made me think it was a little snarky but it's hard not to sound terse in text. All good fella.

I often forget folks get way more serious about video games than I am ever prepared to be (I mostly stay in the OT). I just try to keep it straight and to the point so I don't get enmeshed in some shit that will make me feel bad about my life. I can see how that could be seen as snarky. No worries.

Raven77

Pre-production literally just means concept art, story design, working out mechanics on paper, etc. All the background work necessary to ensure the whole team can get to work on their new game almost immediately after Fallout 4 has shipped, rather than the majority of them twiddling their thumbs while the team leads decide what they want to do and how they want to do it.

If it's an engine concern you have, bear in mind this is technically the same engine as Morrowind. The game will end up looking significantly more advanced than Fallout 4, which spent literally half of its full development time with no concrete information on its targeted console generation's hardware, and no idea whether to make it cross gen or gamble on next gen adoption numbers being high enough to go all-in on new consoles. They're going into TES6 knowing exactly what they have to work with.

Good points all around. I've stepped back from the ledge.

Bolivar687

Banned
I honestly do not believe they have enough people to do that currently with what they've been making. Oblivion was pretty barebones for what it was, and I wouldn't be shocked if they made Fallout 3 at their size in 2-2.5 years given the scope of that game is very different from what they make today.

Wha a a a a at

No seriously the 100-110 strong team estimates is downplaying it, since they use contractors like everyone else and admitted they've been using the Montreal studio they just acquired for a long time. So why would they outright buy them now?

Answer: CRUNCH TIME!

I know there's obviously little to no chance of an Elder Scrolls coming this year, the world just doesn't work that way. It's just fun to speculate because I'm not a fan of their other games outside TES.
But you have to admit it's curious that it took them four years to make a mediocre Fallout game that looks like ass, using the same engine iteration they were already were working on for three years.

But you have to admit it's curious that it took them four years to make a mediocre Fallout game that looks like ass, using the same engine iteration they were already were working on for three years.

The only curious thing about it is how often people assume that just because a big-name game doesn't meet lofty expectations, it must therefore be "mediocre" or outright bad, and rarely ever a "pretty good game you can sink dozens if not hundreds of hours into, just not quite up to the studio's usual standards." Fallout 4 still won plenty of GOTY awards, including a BAFTA for GOTY. Let's not downplay the fact that it was still a fun game for what it was, and better than many games made by bigger teams with longer development times.

Regarding the game's visuals, keep in mind that two of its four years in full-development were spent during the PS360 gen, with only guesswork on what next-gen hardware would be (not even Sony's internal devs knew RAM size would be 4GB instead of 2GB until the official PS4 reveal for example), and I'll bet it was planned as a cross-gen game until adoption rates of new consoles made them confident enough to go next-gen only. This is the kind of game that NEEDS to sell 10 million plus copies for Zenimax to be happy, so cross-gen will have been a very serious consideration.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Wha a a a a at

No seriously the 100-110 strong team estimates is downplaying it, since they use contractors like everyone else and admitted they've been using the Montreal studio they just acquired for a long time. So why would they outright buy them now?

Answer: CRUNCH TIME!

I know there's obviously little to no chance of an Elder Scrolls coming this year, the world just doesn't work that way. It's just fun to speculate because I'm not a fan of their other games outside TES.

I think they took a lot of time upgrading the tech while making Skyrim DLC and then the asset requirements, even though not especially amazing, were overwhelming.

It stuck out to me that they nigh immediately started Bethesda Montreal with some of their contractors and started a giant hiring spree after Fallout 4 launched. I think they realized their capacity was not sufficient.

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
The voice actor for anya already said last year shes doing voice acting for a new Wolfenstein and said its due in 2017

Doom this year with fallout dlc abd maybe something else in fall (dishonored 2)

Next year Wolfenstein (early) and maybe something rpgish in fall or new ip

I think they took a lot of time upgrading the tech while making Skyrim DLC and then the asset requirements, even though not especially amazing, were overwhelming.

It stuck out to me that they nigh immediately started Bethesda Montreal with some of their contractors and started a giant hiring spree after Fallout 4 launched. I think they realized their capacity was not sufficient.

I've gotta commend them for taking a slow and steady approach. It much have been hard not to go bananas after Skyrim sold so well.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I've gotta commend them for taking a slow and steady approach. It much have been hard not to go bananas after Skyrim sold so well.

I think it helps that they're a privately owned company and thus don't have much shareholder pressure outside of their seed capital firms.

Voho

Maybe they'll announce how console modding is going to work in Fallout 4? As far as I know, they've been silent on it.

Bolivar687

Banned
The only curious thing about it is how often people assume that just because a big-name game doesn't meet lofty expectations, it must therefore be "mediocre" or outright bad, and rarely ever a "pretty good game you can sink dozens if not hundreds of hours into, just not quite up to the studio's usual standards." Fallout 4 still won plenty of GOTY awards, including a BAFTA for GOTY. Let's not downplay the fact that it was still a fun game for what it was, and better than many games made by bigger teams with longer development times.

Regarding the game's visuals, keep in mind that two of its four years in full-development were spent during the PS360 gen, with only guesswork on what next-gen hardware would be (not even Sony's internal devs knew RAM size would be 4GB instead of 2GB until the official PS4 reveal for example), and I'll bet it was planned as a cross-gen game until adoption rates of new consoles made them confident enough to go next-gen only. This is the kind of game that NEEDS to sell 10 million plus copies for Zenimax to be happy, so cross-gen will have been a very serious consideration.

Sorry, I didn't mean mediocre as in bad or disappointing, it just didn't have the freshness or wow factor that each of their last four games had.

Cross-gen or not, it's crazy to me that it took Bethesda longer to make a game on an existing, last-gen engine than it previously took them to develop a new engine alongside the game.

Sorry, I didn't mean mediocre as in bad or disappointing, it just didn't have the freshness or wow factor that each of their last four games had.

Cross-gen or not, it's crazy to me that it took Bethesda longer to make a game on an existing, last-gen engine than it previously took them to develop a new engine alongside the game.

They've never made new engines. They licensed GameBryo, heavily edited it to suit their needs for Morrowind, and have continued to edit it between each game they release. They renamed it to the Creation Engine for Skryim's release, but it really wasn't any different to how they've always used that engine - tweaks and additions between releases. It's now on it's third console generation, which is pretty awesome imo.

I think the length of development time (only around 6 months longer than their average development time) for Fallout 4 was more to do with the need for higher quality visuals when they decided to go current-gen only (which they reached out to Nvidia for) supported by the knowledge that a delayed release allows the console install base to increase further. I think the engine's post-processing is pretty damn awesome already for console standards, and it's just the mesh, texture, and draw distance quality that needs improving for TES6 - elements the art team would have held back on throughout the entirety of dev time to support last gen consoles if required.

Bolivar687

Banned
They've never made new engines. They licensed GameBryo, heavily edited it to suit their needs for Morrowind, and have continued to edit it between each game they release. They renamed it to the Creation Engine for Skryim's release, but it really wasn't any different to how they've always used that engine - tweaks and additions between releases. It's now on it's third console generation, which is pretty awesome imo.

I think the length of development time (only around 6 months longer than their average development time) for Fallout 4 was more to do with the need for higher quality visuals when they decided to go current-gen only (which they reached out to Nvidia for) supported by the knowledge that a delayed release allows the console install base to increase further. I think the engine's post-processing is pretty damn awesome already for console standards, and it's just the mesh, texture, and draw distance quality that needs improving for TES6 - elements the art team would have held back on throughout the entirety of dev time to support last gen consoles if required.

I think we're still arguing over semantics here. Even if they weren't new engines in a literal sense, the jumps to Morrowind, Oblivion, and Skryim were obvious and enormous reworkings of the toolset and something we hadn't seen with Fallout 3 or 4, which appropriately carried the name of the previous iteration.

Im happy you found Fallout 4 impressive but I just can't get on board with you - the game looks like ass. So much so that Bethesda had to write an article emphasizing their improvemenys, which in turn was ridiculed for its exaggerations and inconsistencies.

I should reiterate I don't think TESVI will be at this event but it wouldn't shock me if more work has been done concurrently than with past games.

Top Bottom