• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bethesda "still sorting stuff out" for the Starfield showcase

Riky

$MSFT
Probably a lot to think about as it's the first truly next gen exclusive AAA first party release, so it's got to be presented correctly. It's also not the sort of genre that lends itself to flashy cinematics so the actual gameplay elements are the hook.

winjer

Gold Member
The stuff they are sorting

6q1A5Rn.jpg

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Gameplay trailer didn't do anything for me, so as far as I care they can take as much time as they need and release the game whenever it's ready.

Ozriel

M$FT
I don't get why they announce things so early. Just do what Fromsoft does and get to like the 75% mark, polish your fucking shit, and spend the time getting it ready before telling everyone.

Not sure which From Software you’re referring to. Because they announced Elden Ring in 2019 and didn’t show a single thing until E3 2021. Release in 2022.

I didn't use the article title because it seemed too clickbaity.

Top man! Eddie needs to learn from you.

Fools idol

Banned
Not sure which From Software you’re referring to. Because they announced Elden Ring in 2019 and didn’t show a single thing until E3 2021. Release in 2022.
Exactly how it should be! I would rather see nothing than an unfinished / false promise hype building 'trailer' that sets false expectaions far too early. This is how Cyberpunk happenned.

Ozriel

M$FT
Exactly how it should be! I would rather see nothing than an unfinished / false promise hype building 'trailer' that sets false expectaions far too early.

So why are you criticizing Starfield, then? They never set ‘false expectations far too early’.

This is how Cyberpunk happenned.

Cyberpunk’s issues had nothing to do with when trailers were made.

Fools idol

Banned
So why are you criticizing Starfield, then? They never set ‘false expectations far too early’.

Cyberpunk’s issues had nothing to do with when trailers were made.

I wasn't criticising the game specifically. More the publishers for making developers do these reveals and 'showcases' before the games are ready.

Has it gone gold yet? I still think this is a 12/31/2023 or Q1 2024 game. Hopefully, I am wrong as I’d like to play this on the ol’ PC this year.

Ev1L AuRoN

I don't know why I was expecting a technical showcase from this game, given that it's a Series X exclusive. I guess I forgot for a moment that this is a Bethesda game. Not to say that they don't have great developers, but their RPG department always seems to leave something to be desired.

It means every time they record gameplay there are bugs on screen so they gotta edit all that to make it look good. Also yeah., its coming next year 100%.

Ozriel

M$FT
I wasn't criticising the game specifically. More the publishers for making developers do these reveals and 'showcases' before the games are ready.

Nobody’s going to wait for an AAA game to be finished before doing a reveal. You could pull that off with AA like Hi-Fi Rush, but AAA carry much bigger risks.
What’s really going on at MS/Xbox 😂

Isn’t the right question “What’s going on in this thread?”
Because it’s weird seeing folks like you on a game enthusiast forum pretend they don’t know that devs taking time to put together showcase demos is pretty much standard. They’re major marketing events, so there’s tons of planning that goes into them.

Last edited:

Astray

They mean sorting what to show at the showcase right?
Not sorting out the game itself Right?
That's what my mind went to, stuff like making a cohesive vertical slice etc.

This game's importance to Microsoft cannot be overstated, and it's not been helped by the fact that a large, brand-new Action RPG franchise has seemingly taken over the zeitgeist of 2023 gaming (Hogwarts Legacy), Starfield needs to make the best possible impression.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Absolutely this. And the last gameplay trailer was pretty lackluster. I'm more cautious than anything.

Hopefully they've sorted their trailer and content showing by the end of March.

Would be a great birthday present.

Just purchased my second series x for the bedroom so I can literally binge this game in bed.

What's going to upset me is when they announce the special edition console and then ill have to buy that....

NickFire

I wouldn’t try extrapolating anything from this. Community managers are probably not first to know plans to say the least. And he barely said anything anyway.

Last edited:
- Developers trying to figure out what to show

Neogaf - "haha that means this game is not coming soon at all"

Whether this game comes out next week or 2 years from now this news means nothing for the state of the game or release date

gothmog

Gold Member
- Developers trying to figure out what to show

Neogaf - "haha that means this game is not coming soon at all"

Whether this game comes out next week or 2 years from now this news means nothing for the state of the game or release date
And this is why as a community manager you maintain radio silence. Anything you say will be held against you. There's nothing positive that comes out of communicating vague information.

BossLackey

Gold Member
I haven't really been following the development of this game. Are they on a completely new engine or are they still using a descendant of Gamebryo?

Varteras

Gold Member
I think they're just trying to be very careful with what they show. The first gameplay reveal was rough and didn't leave a great impression for a lot of people who weren't wearing their fanboy shades. I'm pretty sure they want Round 2 to really sell the game.

Top Bottom