• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bethesda talks about Switch expectations, why they're supporting the platform, future

JonnyKong

Well I'm still yet to play Skyrim and will probably do so on my Switch so at least they were right about one thing within their quotes.

Yeah, but will Doom have to have green blood?
iFYeSMi.gif

CazTGG

Western 3rd Party support is so important for the Switch to have, and who better to have in your corner than Bethesda and Rockstar?

EA and Activision? I hate them both but their games sell remarkably well and could likely replicate that success on the Switch if they decided to have, say, a LAN-esque setup for Call of Duty/Battlefield multiplayer.

Bethesda being on board is good for Nintendo, mind.

Nintendo is eating their Jill sandwiches.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
If Nintendo fans know whats good for them, they'll ask Bethesda for the Arkane Games.

I've already double dipped on skyrim. likely won't get it. But I'm in for Doom!
And FO New Vegas GOTY edition please, will triple dip for that

heringer

Why would Bethesda port New Vegas instead of Fallout 3 (or 4)?

I mean, even if it is the better game, I don't see them going with New Vegas instead of one they developed internally.

Let's be totally fair and honest here though... Wii Sports overshadowed everything else in the public eye when it came to the Wii's first year. It's the game everyone was talking about, the one that was being paraded around in talk shows, the one featured in health and wellness articles... Zelda sold very well, but it is Wii Sports that defined the system's early years, and arguably its entire shelf life.

On the Switch, BotW has been the undisputed star of the system's launch window, and that has a strong impact on its perception going forward

Yup this is what I was going to say. It's not only the fact that BotW is the game to get with your Switch (if you're not in Japan that is) but the fact that the Wii Sports style casual games (aka 1,2 Switch and Just Dance) are basically not even part of the conversation. It tells a drastically different story about the software people are excited about, let alone the sales difference.

This is why, even without seeing sales, we know that this is a completely different audience with completely different buying habits, and I'm betting very heavily that Bethesda will reap the rewards that a lot of other companies will be missing out on because they were skeptical of the audience this would produce.

Add onto that, the fact that this thing is selling as well as it is without that blue ocean Wii audience is a sign of incredible health for this platform when it comes to third party titles.

One could also argue that mobile has sorta converted part of that Wii blue ocean audience into slightly more serious gamers who could be more willing to try games on dedicated hardware, but that's a different topic.

Turrican3

Learn to give up the big November date and release at the beginning of the year. When it comes down to it Nintendo games will sell on their console no matter when in the year it's released.
Strongly disagree here.

Assuming Nintendo is able to capture a significant amount of, let's say, non-Nintendo-aficionados, I see no reason for them not to have their traditional big holiday title: leaving a part of your audience unsatisfied doesn't seem a very good idea to me.

tl;dr --> whynotboth.gif

Let's be totally fair and honest here though... Wii Sports overshadowed everything else in the public eye when it came to the Wii's first year.
Fair enough.

Still, I believe the first 18-24 months of the Wii cycle had a *very* significant core audience (thanks to Zelda, but also to the novelty of the wiimote concept itself), as a matter of fact we saw stuff like RE4 coming exactly during that period and selling quite well... too bad most of the 3rd party publishers dropped the ball very hard with a certain kind of support, while on the other hand we're already seeing promising stuff on the Switch (which I suspect is also due to Nintendo acting in a proactive, smarter way)

Bazry

Speaking as a mainly Nintendo gamer, I don't think i've ever played a Bethesda game, unless you count the original Doom

Nintendo during the Wii times was not as proactive as they are now. I was actually one of those people that thought that third parties would just beg to be on it if it continues selling, why does Nintendo have to beg them. I was clearly wrong and third parties really like to be courted like a new lover. I hope Nintendo continues doing it. It only took them a couple decades to get tit right :p

Pikma

Banned
Bethesda supporting a Nintendo platform more prominently than any japanese 3rd party

I feel like I stepped into the wrong timeline.

Ok, anecdotic evidence, but I know quite a few people who mostly play on Nintendo systems with some games on underpowered (read: office/university) laptops to round it up. I can see those going to try out Skyrim when they got a Switch at some point. That's not comparable to average GAF posters who own more systems. With Nintendos focus on deep and competitive games this year, both Doom and Skyrim fit right into the portfolio. I hope they do well enough for other third parties to follow. GTA V would be nice and it already ran on last gen hardware.

Speaking as a mainly Nintendo gamer, I don't think i've ever played a Bethesda game, unless you count the original Doom

I'm exactly in the same situation... I'm beginning with Skyrim, I really hope they can meet success, these games are hugely important regarding future Switch support.

Meanwhile capcpom is planning another test...

I think both Skyrim and Doom will do really well on switch. The thirst for a portable triple A shooter is strong. Skyrim will sell lots too (if only for the ability to play through the game as LInk).
I'm actually really curious how well Wolfenstein will run on switch. It seems to be more technically advanced than Doom (is it though?). at least what I can tell

I love piling on Capcom as much as the next guy but I have a theory for this.

The Okami contracts were likely signed and approved a year or so ago and Capcom likely barely knew about or wasn't too hot on the Switch. I doubt they skipped switch on purpose. Apparently SFII sold well so who knows about future support?

Capcom purposely skipped switch versions of a fucking Megaman collection and a fucking Disney games collection; both full of freaking NES games.
Switch versions would have sold ridiculously amounts but, no, let's wait till VC launches and sell each game for 5 bucks minimum.
fuck em and their weird business decisions (and their "test" games)

and,yes, I am as bitter as it sounds

Interesting that they think there's a large Switch audience that has no crossover with PC/PS4/XB1. I know hardcore gamers like us have our hands in everything but I guess I didn't stop to think about how many exclusively Nintendo/Switch gamers there are out there.

I suppose there are handheld-only gamers... Alongside the minority of Nintendo purists.

H13

I wonder if they could do a Evil Within 1 + 2 switch pack in the future.

I want everyone to play that series.

I really would like that,
I would capcom to release resident evil 4 5 and 6
I would love to play that on the go, since i’m always working outstation

barit

Bethesda backing up Switch was a very good catch for Nintendo. It really helps to push out more mature 3rd party content and wider the audience on Switch. I´m really impressed by the DOOM port. Switch could be shaping up to a serious AAA handheld for the next 5+ years.

I think they might be misjudging the Switch user base if they think there's so little overlap with PS/XB/PC. Sure, the Switch is appealing to non-traditional gamers, but I think the majority of the buyers will be people who have had access to Skyrim for 6 years and there's a good chance they've already played it. It will probably sell decently enough, but it will be pretty easily the lowest selling version of the game, and that's not just because Nintendo fans don't buy 3rd party.

Memory

Speaking of Capcom. Anyone else find it amusing that after all the Drama trying surrounding Sony, Nintendo and the Monster Hunter franchise that Capcom's first Monster Hunter game on the Switch was called Monster Hunter Double Cross.

10/10

D.Lo

I hope they actually market and support the releases well, and also recognise that full priced old games won't sell like new ones in most cases. That's how you build a base upon which you can build.

Third parties did well early on the Wii, but shat the bed after not following up well enough and the audience was gone by the time they came back with Red Steel 2, COD4 etc.

But they're talking like they're not unaware of market realities, unlike EA with Mass Effect 3 Wii U/Madden:Babiez Wii edition etc.

Cerium

I'm actually really curious how well Wolfenstein will run on switch. It seems to be more technically advanced than Doom (is it though?). at least what I can tell

I don't think that's the case at all. DOOM is bleeding edge at high settings. They both run in the same engine. iD is the more technically proficient of the two studios.

I didn't think they would, but for an older game that kind of thing would be a good move to start building a customer base in good faith IMO.

Yeah and I think the word would get out and a lot of people would try it at that price. For 29 I don't mind taking the risk, for 59 I wont get it.

Neiteio

Always enjoy hearing from Hines. I loved watching him play through parts of the first Evil Within. Bethesda is awesome.

Yeah and I think the word would get out and a lot of people would try it at that price. For 29 I don't mind taking the risk, for 59 I wont get it.

Well, the nice thing about most Bethesda games is they drop in price quickly. This'll be on sale for $40 or less after Christmas.

Wolf II looks interesting, but I have no interest in anything else from Bethesda. Good luck to them, though. Sounds like they do want to support the machine.

Andyliini

It's good to hear they have plans going foward with Switch. I just hope their plans work, especially with Skyrim. We'll have to see after holidays how Skyrim and Doom sold on Switch, but hopefully they do good. I'm planning to get at least Skyrim, but probably not at launch, as I have many other games to play that season.

Neiteio

It's seriously awesome to see the publisher of Elder Scrolls, Fallout, Wolfenstein, DOOM, Quake, Dishonored, Prey, Evil Within, etc, working on a Nintendo system. Their games fill a niche on the system that I suspect will prove quite lucrative for them. Skyrim, DOOM and Wolf 2 gonna make bank on Switch. I feel this will be a turning point where major third parties sit up and take notice.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
These releases and the commitment should help more to take the plattform more seriously. On the past we often had devs just laugh about bringing their games to a Nintendo system without even looking what the systems are capable of. Even with the Switch we had the Respawn dude laughing at the idea of someone suggesting Titanfall on the Switch.

Yeah the highest end AAA titles likely won't come to Switch but it will already be a step up if devs/pubs take it more serious in conversations.
It's a full price title though, I don't think they'd much money at 29.99 EUR because of the large game card.
Are suggesting the game is priced at 60usd instead of 30usd because the use of game cards? lol

It's a full price game because porting a AAA title to Switch costs money and not as effortless as porting between the big consoles and PC.. Panic Button gotta eat.

Top Bottom