• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Better Call Saul S3 |OT| Gus Who's Back - Mondays 10/9c on AMC

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
One of the things I think hurt BCS in terms of hooking people was that the first season's stakes felt really low. It's kind of hard to go from Breaking Bad's season 5 stakes where every episode could have a main character dying what with Nazis, cartels, mobs and the DEA, to go Jimmy trying to get a practice going.

One of the things I think hurt BCS in terms of hooking people was that the first season's stakes felt really low. It's kind of hard to go from Breaking Bad's season 5 stakes where every episode could have a main character dying what with Nazis, cartels, mobs and the DEA, to go Jimmy trying to get a practice going.

That's kind of depressing. Instead of enjoying the character building, beautiful cinematography, performances and music people just want none stop excitement and risk of death.

Kadayi

Banned
That's kind of depressing. Instead of enjoying the character building, beautiful cinematography, performances and music people just want none stop excitement and risk of death.

Reframe it and think about the shows title and what people would expect from that going in, then think about what they got? Were people up for an origin story? Sure, but let's be honest here, we're into the 3rd season here and Saul Goodman hasn't appeared yet.

I'm enjoying it, but I know a lot of people just don't have the patience for that sort of thing.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that

I wonder what percentage of Better Call Saul watchers enjoyed the Breaking Bad episode 'Fly' haha

Trakan

I mean, even if you compare last week's episode to an episode from S1, the difference is night and day. The events unfolding now are much more entertaining that Jimmy's day to day at HHM or defending that guy who stole money and camped in a tent.

I have to say in episode 2 and the start of 3, I was very much angry at Chuck. His whole "I'm doing this to help you" reminded me of classic narcissist parenting. However Chuck manages to redeem himself to and extent by offering Jimmy the deal. I think here, Jimmy is in the wrong for not taking this deal. Jimmy did fuck up and there should be consequences for his illegal actions. I thought the deal Chuck offered him was more than fair and much, much better than what Chuck originally was planning.
What do you think Chuck was originally planning? It seem to me this "get Jimmy out of law" thing was the goal all along, so it doesn't seem like he took any redeeming turn.

As I see it, we already saw Chuck try to make Jimmy improve his life after ending up in jail, years ago in a flashback scene... and then Jimmy did. But Chuck still didn't trust him and by pretending to be friendly while screwing with him (and Kim) behind the scenes has just poked Jimmy into being scuzzier.

Permanently A

What do you think Chuck was originally planning? It seem to me this "get Jimmy out of law" thing was the goal all along, so it doesn't seem like he took any redeeming turn.

As I see it, we already saw Chuck try to make Jimmy improve his life after ending up in jail, years ago in a flashback scene... and then Jimmy did. But Chuck still didn't trust him and by pretending to be friendly while screwing with him (and Kim) behind the scenes has just poked Jimmy into being scuzzier.

Chuck was originally planning to put Jimmy in jail which would have ruined his life beyond just his law degree. That would have been vindictive and petty of Chuck and implies that Chuck wants more than just the degree. But since Chuck stepped away from that for the option that only affects the degree I think his goal is now more pure in motive.

duckroll

Chuck was originally planning to put Jimmy in jail which would have ruined his life beyond just his law degree. That would have been vindictive and petty of Chuck and implies that Chuck wants more than just the degree. But since Chuck stepped away from that for the option that only affects the degree I think his goal is now more pure in motive.

He was never planning on putting Jimmy in jail. What he really wants is for Jimmy to admit to the world that he is guilty of all the shit Chuck has always said he was guilty of and proving to everyone that Jimmy is a "bad person" who needs to be reformed. Chuck just wants that vindication. Because Chuck has to be right.

I'd add that Chuck would also like Jimmy out of the legal profession if he can. It's Chuck's pure system with clean rules that Jimmy has tainted. Jimmy worked through law school to try and erase Slippin' Jimmy and to some extent make Chuck proud of him. It hurts Chuck that Jimmy is bleeding into this part of his life, now in an even more significant way. It's part of their tragic relationship that the things Jimmy does to repair it end up exacerbating all of Chuck's issues.

EDIT: ...and I see that people were discussing this above.

Permanently A

He was never planning on putting Jimmy in jail. What he really wants is for Jimmy to admit to the world that he is guilty of all the shit Chuck has always said he was guilty of and proving to everyone that Jimmy is a "bad person" who needs to be reformed. Chuck just wants that vindication. Because Chuck has to be right.

I dunno why you put "bad person" in quotes. Jimmy did everything Chuck is accusing him of, of his own volition.

duckroll

I dunno why you put "bad person" in quotes. Jimmy did everything Chuck is accusing him of, of his own volition.

Because that's what Chunk thinks of Jimmy as. The "bad person" he has to put up with. It's the persona that Chuck cannot shake off. It's an image problem. That's Chuck's hang up. Not Jimmy's specific acts, which of course he does do of his own volition. Even if Jimmy did nothing, Chuck would be suspicious, because he knows Jimmy too well to give him the benefit of the doubt. He needs to expose that knowledge to the world, he wants everyone to see Jimmy like he sees Jimmy.

Mindlog

u2oMudI.gif

So that's what happened to his legs.

Permanently A

Because that's what Chunk thinks of Jimmy as. The "bad person" he has to put up with. It's the persona that Chuck cannot shake off. It's an image problem. That's Chuck's hang up. Not Jimmy's specific acts, which of course he does do of his own volition. Even if Jimmy did nothing, Chuck would be suspicious, because he knows Jimmy too well to give him the benefit of the doubt. He needs to expose that knowledge to the world, he wants everyone to see Jimmy like he sees Jimmy.

I'd say that, you're correct that Chuck believes Jimmy will never change, but that doesn't invalidate Chuck's actions. I'm a pretty utilitarian guy - where Hume would argue that Chuck's motives for turning in Jimmy is selfish and therefore an artificial virtue as opposed to a natural one, I'm more consequential in that I believe that regardless of motive, a right is a right and a wrong is a wrong. Yes, Chuck's motive is rooted in selfishness and petty jealousy. But his actions are all those of「JUSTICE」.

Top Bottom