• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Better Call Saul S3 |OT| Gus Who's Back - Mondays 10/9c on AMC

TheSun

Awww yeah! Time for the misadventures of a Cinnabon Manager!

I can't wait, damnit! We left on one hell of a cliffhanger.

As much as I would love to, time won't allow for such a viewing. Here's to hoping that they do a short recap on AMC before it begins.

I've forgotten so much about the show already, the scene where
Mike has a note on his car that says "Don't"... totally forgot that already happened
. When they showed this promo on AMC I thought it was a scene from the new season :p

other than what you mentioned,
Chuck tape recorded Jimmy confessing to the document tampering, Kim knows as well.Both Jimmy and kim started thier their own practice. In the same office but separate practices. She also knows what Jimmy did,
But her affection for Jimmy and the fact she got a major client out of it

I don't expect Chuck to actually use the recording.

He now has complete authority over Jimmy. He gives that up by Jimmy going to jail.

noomi

other than what you mentioned,
Chuck tape recorded Jimmy confessing to the document tampering, Kim knows as well.Both Jimmy and kim started thier their own practice. In the same office but separate practices. She also knows what Jimmy did,
But her affection for Jimmy and the fact she got a major client out of it

Thanks Rob, starting to remember. Those seem to be the major plot points I had forgotten about.

I remember really enjoying Mike story as well, it's all coming back to me now :D

I love this fucking show and can NOT wait for tonight but man it's hard to watch sometimes. The way Chuck has fucked Jimmy since the beginning has been hard to stomach....Jimmy never would have changed the docs to get Kim the client had he not been screwed over constantly by his older brother. He's a bit of a sleaze for sure and I suspect he'd always have it in him but the path he sets down in this show was clearly laid out for him by Chuck. I'll always wonder what sort of fulfilling and normal life he could have lead had it not been for his shitty bro.

That said a show about Jimmy's milquetoast life would suck so I'm glad his brother is a shit because it sure made for some amazing TV so far

sugarman

So Netflix users that have access to season 2 currently will also be getting season 3 episodes as they air. Anybody know what time these go live?

HardRojo

So Netflix users that have access to season 2 currently will also be getting season 3 episodes as they air. Anybody know what time these go live?

Outside of the US. They go live the day after they air in the US. Not exactly sure at what time though. For some reason I don't have English subs in the Latam region for this series, they disappeared when the Spanish dub became available it seems. I hope tomorrow's episode comes with English subtitles :(

I'm most excited to see how Mike comes into contact with Gus and how he earns his complete trust.

Too bad Jimmy will not get to meet Gus.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Outside of the US. They go live the day after they air in the US. Not exactly sure at what time though. For some reason I don't have English subs in the Latam region for this series, they disappeared when the Spanish dub became available it seems. I hope tomorrow's episode comes with English subtitles :(

Yep but they're always up in the afternoon which leads to best feeling possible: knowing that there's a new Saul ep waiting when you get off work. Love that Netflix has this show.

Every season is the season I hope for the return of Huell and Kirby. Hector came back. The twins came back. The guy who sells guns even came back. No excuses. I need the continued shenanigans of Huell and Kirby.

Veelk

Banned
I love this fucking show and can NOT wait for tonight but man it's hard to watch sometimes. The way Chuck has fucked Jimmy since the beginning has been hard to stomach....Jimmy never would have changed the docs to get Kim the client had he not been screwed over constantly by his older brother. He's a bit of a sleaze for sure and I suspect he'd always have it in him but the path he sets down in this show was clearly laid out for him by Chuck. I'll always wonder what sort of fulfilling and normal life he could have lead had it not been for his shitty bro.

That said a show about Jimmy's milquetoast life would suck so I'm glad his brother is a shit because it sure made for some amazing TV so far

There is literally no connection between Chuck forcing or incentivizing Jimmy to change the docs. The reason he did it is because he feels Kim is inentitled to the Mesa-Verde account even though all it came down to was Chuck making a convincing argument to Mesa-Verde that they'd be the ones better suited to handle their account. The most influence Chuck's "lets screw Jimmy" tendencies had over it is that it gave him an extra incentive to try, but he was upset and distressed about HHM losing a client like Mesa-Verde even before he found out that Jimmy was working with Kim.

Trying to paint Chuck as responsible for all of Jimmy's character flaws and tragedies is such a tired and flawed argument. We've seen that Jimmy is willing to be a sneaky shit taker since childhood. He stole against his own father because he just viewed him as that much of a sap. Jimmy would probably have been ten times the criminal he is at this point if Chuck hadn't tried to ground him in being a moral, decent person.

It's not to say that Chuck isn't without his own flaws, but goddamn, I hate, hate, hate this stupid "us vs them" mentality that Vince Gilligan's writing brings out in people. There is always a large group of people that basically try to interpret the show as "Everything was fine....then CHUCK/SKYLER/JESSE/whoever ruined all!" It devalues the beauty the storytelling presents so hard.

Oddduck

It's not to say that Chuck isn't without his own flaws, but goddamn, I hate, hate, hate this stupid "us vs them" mentality that Vince Gilligan's writing brings out in people. There is always a large group of people that basically try to interpret the show as "Everything was fine....then CHUCK/SKYLER/JESSE/whoever ruined all!" It devalues the beauty the storytelling presents so hard.

I never understood the argument that "Everything was fine until Jesse/Skylar/Hank/etc ruined it all."

Because it's Mike Ehrmantraut who tells Walter White:

"We had a good thing, you stupid son of a bitch! We had Fring. We had a lab. We had everything we needed, and it all ran like clockwork. You could've shut your mouth, cooked and made as much money as you ever needed. It was perfect. But, no, you just had to blow it up. You and your pride and your ego! You just had to be the man. If you'd done your job, known your place, we'd all be fine right now."

Servbot24

Banned

That's just shitty fans, not really Vince's fault.

Veelk

Banned
I never understood the argument that "Everything was fine until Jesse/Skylar/Hank/etc ruined it all."

Because it's Mike Ehrmantraut who tells Walter White:

"We had a good thing, you stupid son of a bitch! We had Fring. We had a lab. We had everything we needed, and it all ran like clockwork. You could've shut your mouth, cooked and made as much money as you ever needed. It was perfect. But, no, you just had to blow it up. You and your pride and your ego! You just had to be the man. If you'd done your job, known your place, we'd all be fine right now."

Unfortunately, that in itself is an example of what I'm trying to rail against, except it just happens to be directed toward Walt.

If Walt had kept his head down, he'd be dead, not fine. His life was in danger because the Salamanca's wanted him dead over Tuco, something he was part of back before he met Gus. However, Gus wanted his skills. So Gus asked for a compromise of handing Walt over to the Twins, but only after he got what he needed out of him. That was why Gale was there, to help Walt out, but also so he could recreate the Meth that only Walt could make. After that, Gus could cut Walt loose without consequence, which is why he went out to kill Gale.

So while the character assessment of Walt being an arrogant egomaniac that fucks things up is accurate, Mike is actually dead wrong about the situation because Walt doing the things he did was in fact a matter of self preservation. So Mike's right, but also wrong. He's operating from a position of personal dislike of Walter and an incomplete understanding of the situation, which colors his perception.

Which is why Vince Gilligan's shows are so intriguing. There is a complexity about how they lay out the culpability and motivations for the character's actions. Chuck screwed him over, but Jimmy himself is also a screw up. Jimmy is a nice guy, but he's also an entitled piece of shit. He constantly combines seemingly antithetical aspects into one character. And people try to ruin that by going "oh, no, he's just completely right/wrong" depending on whatever team their on.

It's a game where the only winning move is not to play. Don't be on any team.

The flashbacks show that Chuck hated Jimmy even before he became a lawyer.

He hates the fact that thier parents loved Jimmy more despite all that Chuck achieved.

He believes Jimmy was ripping off their fathers store even though it's shown that their father was basically giving the money away.

Chuck is just so bound and determined to make Jimmy look bad. To make others see in him what he does. Which is comming from a place of jealousy.

Edit: this was directed at a comment but I dont remember which one lol

Vlad

Unfortunately, that in itself is an example of what I'm trying to rail against, except it just happens to be directed toward Walt.

If Walt had kept his head down, he'd be dead, not fine. His life was in danger because the Salamanca's wanted him dead over Tuco, something he was part of back before he met Gus. However, Gus wanted his skills. So Gus asked for a compromise of handing Walt over to the Twins, but only after he got what he needed out of him. That was why Gale was there, to help Walt out, but also so he could recreate the Meth that only Walt could make. After that, Gus could cut Walt loose without consequence, which is why he went out to kill Gale.

So while the character assessment of Walt being an arrogant egomaniac that fucks things up is accurate, Mike is actually dead wrong about the situation because Walt doing the things he did was in fact a matter of self preservation. So Mike's right, but also wrong. He's operating from a position of personal dislike of Walter and an incomplete understanding of the situation, which colors his perception.

Which is why Vince Gilligan's shows are so intriguing. There is a complexity about how they lay out the culpability and motivations for the character's actions. Chuck screwed him over, but Jimmy himself is also a screw up. Jimmy is a nice guy, but he's also an entitled piece of shit. He constantly combines seemingly antithetical aspects into one character. And people try to ruin that by going "oh, no, he's just completely right/wrong" depending on whatever team their on.

It's a game where the only winning move is not to play. Don't be on any team.

You're slightly misremembering the events of BB. Gus' plan was to eliminate the cousins and the cartel all along. Remember, he set the cousins up to ambush Hank, but warned him beforehand, unaware that Hank had gotten suspended and didn't have his gun. The breaking point came when Walt killed the two dealers that Jesse was trying to kill.

From that point, though, it lines up. Hell, Mike was the one who was assigned to take Walt out on the night Gale was murdered, so yeah, it was definitely a bit disingenuous for him to be that mad at Walter, especially considering that he grew find of Jesse, as well.

I always just chalked it up to him being beyond upset that he had to abandon his granddaughter.

Veelk

Banned
You're slightly misremembering the events of BB. Gus' plan was to eliminate the cousins and the cartel all along. Remember, he set the cousins up to ambush Hank, but warned him beforehand, unaware that Hank had gotten suspended and didn't have his gun. The breaking point came when Walt killed the two dealers that Jesse was trying to kill.

Maybe I'm remembering it wrong, but it's not because he actually wanted to save Walt or Hank though, it was just that he saw an opportunity to take out the brothers by alerting Hank of their coming. He was angling to take out the Salamancas, but he was also willing to do business with them until an opportunity came up. Meaning that, if the idea of setting them on hank hadn't popped in his head, it's likely that he would have been good to his word and just served Walt up to the Salmanca's once he didn't need him anymore.

As you say in the next paragraph, Mike himself was assigned to end Walt's life. The point I'm making here is that Walt was never going to end his employment with Gus peacefully, despite Mike's otherwise accurate assessment of Walt's egotism.

Veelk

Banned
(this BB discussion reminds me how much higher the stakes were than in BCS)

It's all about that tension, baby.

Stakes don't matter, it's how much you care about them. Breaking bad dealt with the criminal underworld, so death was more likely to be the consequence of people taking actions. But in BCS, they're mostly working in the legitimate, if cut-throat, sphere of society as lawyers. Worst that happens is that Jimmy will be out of a decent paycheck.

But since you care about the characters so much, it doesn't matter. The tension is the same.

Veelk

Banned
My argument wasn't that it was the same thing, just that it was the more important thing.

But I don't get into squabbles about which show is better unless the difference is so stellar that there is legitimate contention to be had. If you like BB better, I'm not gonna contest that. I'm not sure which show I prefer myself. They're both really good, so for me it's like "Who cares?"

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
My argument wasn't that it was the same thing, just that it was the more important thing.

But I don't get into squabbles about which show is better unless the difference is so stellar that there is legitimate contention to be had. If you like BB better, I'm not gonna contest that. I'm not sure which show I prefer myself. They're both really good, so for me it's like "Who cares?"

No I totally agree with that. I just think BB had constant life or death stakes and BCS has a much more subtle "will his and her career be ok after this?" / "will their relationship survive?" -kind of stakes. It's not a value judgment so much as an observation.

I just found myself thinking on this page "holy shit Walt and Mike and Gus and the twins and Tico and random dealers and that one guy and that other guy and Hank and all their families were always either killing people or under implied or direct fatal threats through the entire show and I can't really say that once about BCS."

And I think it's possible that the writing team has been leaning on that eventual threat of Walter's arrival into Saul's office as the underpinning life or death threat in BCS. Rather than replicating that constant sword of damacles over everyone in the show.

Top Bottom