• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BEWARE - A creepy, atmospheric racing game

Pejo

Looks really good, but I can't help but wish there was more to it. More objectives, more freedom etc. I also think it'd be cooler if they had 1~20 different variety of creatures/monsters/aliens that would chase you instead of just a Tesla Cybertruck, but it's a good starting point.

hlm666

Played the old demo ages ago and had completely forgotten about it, cool it still seems to be in development.

Looks really good, but I can't help but wish there was more to it. More objectives, more freedom etc. I also think it'd be cooler if they had 1~20 different variety of creatures/monsters/aliens that would chase you instead of just a Tesla Cybertruck, but it's a good starting point.
I think this might be like a demo of a particular area/biome, the old demo had a bunch of guys in a car chasing you in a more rural like area and kinda had an odd texas chainsaw 2 or jeepers creepers vibe.

You have to play $7 a month for a tech demo? Na sorry. Looks very cool and super interested, but much better to crowd fund and offer the full game when finished for a fixed number (and a demo)

Soul Challenger

Neo Member
Great job man youre team developer? Realy interested with this game. Any news on release date?
Thanks, yes I'm the developer. And the team is tiny, just me :D

As for release date, cautiously, end of 2022 is the goal, but as always, there might be a delay.
You have to play $7 a month for a tech demo? Na sorry. Looks very cool and super interested, but much better to crowd fund and offer the full game when finished for a fixed number (and a demo)
No, it's 5 bucks on Patreon and yes, I did look into crowdfunding but that platform was already corrupted unfortunately. I agree it's an unorthodox way of financing production but in the end I am able to create this game and that's what counts here.

Also, there is a demo, since 2018, for everyone to check out - https://www.indiedb.com/games/beware/downloads/beware-demo-v001
Whats the appeal? I literally do'nt see it. They shouldve made this into a game

Sorry, I should have been more explicit: this is a showcase of the game's huge map with all the different environments I've created. For proper gameplay, you can check out my YT channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/SoulChallenger/videos
Or some YouTubers that tried it, like Piewds (there are many others):
Will this have telemetry output for motion rigs?
Definitely possible. This is the same car physics plug-in I''m using in action:

thief183

Thanks, yes I'm the developer. And the team is tiny, just me :D

As for release date, cautiously, end of 2022 is the goal, but as always, there might be a delay.

No, it's 5 bucks on Patreon and yes, I did look into crowdfunding but that platform was already corrupted unfortunately. I agree it's an unorthodox way of financing production but in the end I am able to create this game and that's what counts here.

Also, there is a demo, since 2018, for everyone to check out - https://www.indiedb.com/games/beware/downloads/beware-demo-v001

Sorry, I should have been more explicit: this is a showcase of the game's huge map with all the different environments I've created. For proper gameplay, you can check out my YT channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/SoulChallenger/videos
Or some YouTubers that tried it, like Piewds (there are many others):

Definitely possible. This is the same car physics plug-in I''m using in action:

Can' t wait to play it, supercool idea and a team of 1 perso? Count me in :) Is there any way to give you support apart from patreon?

Soul Challenger

Neo Member
The latest driving A.I. test comparing the slow and the fast driving modes. This will be used to simulate human traits like aggressivness, drunkness, loosing temper etc, and also to fine-tune gameplay and difficulty:

The enemy car war re-designed and modeled from scratch - and I've spent far too long on the textures.

The latest driving A.I. test comparing the slow and the fast driving modes. This will be used to simulate human traits like aggressivness, drunkness, loosing temper etc, and also to fine-tune gameplay and difficulty:

The enemy car war re-designed and modeled from scratch - and I've spent far too long on the textures.

Will this be story driven or just a see how long you can survive?

I feel like this guy missed his window. Beware was revealed in 2016, and everyone was taken aback by the fresh ideas and novel concept. I couldn't get through 5 minutes of the above video without scraping through to skip entire sections which felt entirely the same. No blaring horns? Ambient music? Different enemy types? What's the deal here?

Soul Challenger

Neo Member
I feel like this guy missed his window. Beware was revealed in 2016, and everyone was taken aback by the fresh ideas and novel concept. I couldn't get through 5 minutes of the above video without scraping through to skip entire sections which felt entirely the same. No blaring horns? Ambient music? Different enemy types? What's the deal here?
This video is showcasing specifically the abilities of the new driving AI, so it not a teaser/trailer of any sort. Some of these are on my youtube channel "Soul Challenger"

Much more detailed info about dev progress can be read here: https://www.patreon.com/posts/79466289

This video is showcasing specifically the abilities of the new driving AI, so it not a teaser/trailer of any sort. Some of these are on my youtube channel "Soul Challenger"

Much more detailed info about dev progress can be read here: https://www.patreon.com/posts/79466289

Didn't realize you were the dev. Solid work. Not to be a detractor, but I feel my point still stands. The project was revealed in 2016. It's 7 years in. Your Patreon post ends with upcoming tasks, one of which you've "started" work on. See my point?

Soul Challenger

Neo Member
Didn't realize you were the dev. Solid work. Not to be a detractor, but I feel my point still stands. The project was revealed in 2016. It's 7 years in. Your Patreon post ends with upcoming tasks, one of which you've "started" work on. See my point?
Thanks! For the sake of historical accuracy: I've been working on this part-time since early 2011, and full-time since late 2015. Hopefully I understood your concern correctly - I'll try to address it the best I can;

The increased media attention in 2016 and the favorable reactions to the 2018 "demo" (sometimes being mocked as being a mere proof of concept/prototype) confirmed to me that I was on the right track. This gave me confidence that I could go ahead and spend the years necessary for creating an *extraordinary project, far beyond the basic premise of being chased around by different vehicles of increasing strength. Among other things: adding a proper main story told thought the environment and 2 passengers you help reach their destination. And to be able to convey that story through an adequately lengthy journey, an environment that's vast enough to feel like a real place. So now the game's map is 144km² - for comparison that's bigger than GTAV's map - and that alone took me years to create. Kind of crazy to do that alone, I concur.

Anyway, if there was a "window of opportunity" for capitalizing on BEWARE's novel concept, I was never interested in jumping on the hype train, because I knew that would only be an incomplete fraction of what it really could be - and that's what I'm working on since then.

*not to sound pompous - throughout my career, I always strived to create things that haven't been done yet.

Soul Challenger

Neo Member
Latest driver test. Heavy WIP :messenger_mr_smith_who_are_you_going_to_call:

F3VokIw.gif

Latest driver test. Heavy WIP :messenger_mr_smith_who_are_you_going_to_call:

F3VokIw.gif
hello
what was your full time job ? Economically, does it make sense for you to do this full time for so long? How are you surviving?

Game looks incredible, especially for something made by one person.
My only constructive feedback would be that, as far as I am concerned, I wish there was a bit more colour from time to time and that environments would look a bit more different. Here the whole thing seems quite bleak (which I guess is the vibe you are going for, so just a matter of taste)

Soul Challenger

Neo Member
hello
what was your full time job ? Economically, does it make sense for you to do this full time for so long? How are you surviving?

Game looks incredible, especially for something made by one person.
My only constructive feedback would be that, as far as I am concerned, I wish there was a bit more colour from time to time and that environments would look a bit more different. Here the whole thing seems quite bleak (which I guess is the vibe you are going for, so just a matter of taste)
So, 2003-2004: construction work. 2005-2010: post-production for advertising (basically 3D animation, sometimes art direction). Concerning the economical aspect, it is very survival level. I'm also stuck in west Germany right now, where life ain't cheap and I'm a father to two young kids. Basically, the funding comes through Patreon, which enables me to work on this full time, where I get great feedback and I'm my own boss, meaning I also put myself under pressure - the goal being a finished and released full game. To be honest, I would not recommend it, unless you move to/live in a place with lower cost of living.

Concerning the environments they are bleak indeed and that has to do with what happened in that world. There are some more or less colorful parts though - here are a couple of examples :)

fZ2Bgg8.gif

ALIfAOl.gif

ERTS8lI.gif

Denton

Looks fantastic. Immense respect. Just one nitpick - is there any possibility of the steering wheel eventually getting animated including hands?

Soul Challenger

Neo Member
Looks fantastic. Immense respect. Just one nitpick - is there any possibility of the steering wheel eventually getting animated including hands?
Yes, the steering wheel will be animated based on steering input. No hands though, because the driving entity has none (will make more sense in the context of the game's story).

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
For a minute, I thought you were telling me to beware of a creepy, atmospheric racing game. I was like, what racing game and why? 😂

Then I realized I read too fast sometimes 🤦‍♂️

Top Bottom