• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BEYONCÉ RETURNS: POPGAF OT XIII

that was...

a joanne tea.

i'll still buy it, tho.

God I love Joanne. What a great piece of work. Anyway. The Nintendo Switch is a bad product.

I'm tired of them coming up with these contrived-ass machines just to accommodate their great games. I hope Zelda's still coming out for the Wii U in March coz that's all I'll need. Sad how tragic it's gotten for Nintendo.

Floridian

I loved that Zelda trailer but i'm not as a fanboy of the series as I am with Mario so i'm still not sure on a launch purchase. I wish Odyssey was also a launch title, that would've been day 0 for me.

Music + Game wise looks kinda good for the later half of the year.

botty

Banned
the xx came!

You've been staying out late
Trying your best to escape
I hope you find what you're looking for
Let a moment take place
Without running away
I hope you silence the noise

eZq7KQy.gif

rhandino

Banned
Xenoblade 2
Fire Emblem Warriors
Super Mario Odyssey
Zelda: The End of your Faves
Dragon Quest Heroes I + II
SPLATOON 2
New Mario Kart
New Smash Bros

I am ready for this shit

vfzBUth.gif

Please tell me this new #1 song on billboard is not gonna be everywhere like shit beetles...
I thought everything was gonna be better in 2017.

At least Side to Side is #6

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Launch lineup is dryer than Madonna's vadge and overall its looking Wii U ish on terms of games coming. Not a day 1 get and not enough game to get me interested. And their online services bwah ha ha ha

SM3DL/W >>>>>>

Odyssey looks good tho. Just not fond of the weird art style clashes. Hope they get that sorted for the final game, the low poly world looked slay tho.

rhandino

Banned
Nintendo came with Super Mario Odyssey, Zelda, New SMT and XENOBLADE 2 so you all better keep it cute and clean.

XZQ01fi.gif

That breath of the wild trailer... Nintendo CAME

FFXV WHO?
Even Zelda herself had more character development and presence in that trailer than Luna in the enterity of FFXV

tumblr_mrc109LwZI1s49x9io1_250.gif

The Switch is gonna flop hard (maybe except for Japan). You can already see that it's just a repeat from the previous generations.

- Underpowered
- A high and hard to justify price
- No third party support
- Fans keeping morale up thanks to a few high profile Nintendo games

Zelda looks gorgeous. Shame the game takes place in Beijing. You can barely see your hands in front of you. I'm more of a Mario guy myself, but that Odyssey thing looks hideous. Has Nintendo forbidden its designers to create an artstyle, any artstyle, for the 3D Mario games? The game literally looks like the thumbnail/icon from one of those a thirteen in a dozen generic phone games.

Floridian

The odyssey art style is fine. Only the city was a bit iffy but luckily it's not a hub. Do y'all not remember the same complaints that were given to SM3DW when its first trailer was premiered concerning graphics? Then the actual game came out and turned out to be gorgeous with 60 fps.

It better not serve a Dua lipa by getting pushed back several times.

Vazra

Mario is supposed to be a human but the rest of the people with human proportions looks awful. They should have kept people with Mario proportions and vibrant colors instead of realism.

Vazduh

I'm shy. Also, I know a quite a few people that post on GAF and I'd like to remain anonymous to them.

But you look great.
QKigKZe.gif
QKigKZe.gif
QKigKZe.gif
Should have kept it.

Thanks, man. A couple of days was enough to sear people's corneas with that avatar :p And a lot of PopGAF guys have me on Instagram already, so I figured it was enough. I understand if you're shy and that's OK. If you ever change your mind, tho...

How are people claiming it has a high price for a console launch??? Delusions

CibtiE9.gif

The Tegra X1 chip is already severely underclocked. CPU by 50 % compared to the stock frequency, GPU as well, but even more underclocked when not connected to the stand. It surely is a much different and better architecture than one in Wii U (which dated back to the Gamecube days), but these numbers don't look great compared to the other consoles:

Wii U = 176 Gflops of processing power
Switch = 157 Glops in portable mode and 393 Gflops in docked mode
Xbox One = 1.31 teraflops
Playstation 4 = 1.84 teraflops
Playstation 4 Pro = 4.2 teraflops

So, even taking into account the HD screen (and by HD I mean regular HD - 1280 x 720) and the custom JoyCon design (which is shockingly expensive), the console is way, way overpriced to what the people were expecting. If one really wants a console, one can purchase a PS4 bundled with Uncharted 4 for a price of 270 USD. Xbox One S bundled with Battlefield costs the same. Both consoles I mentioned come with a controller and have 8 gigs RAM and 500 GB hard disk.

Nintendo Switch doesn't have 8 gigs of RAM (the rumors so far point to 4 gigs of DDR4 RAM), or a hard disk. It has 32 gigs of onboard memory.

Also, the online service offers one free old game per month (NES/SNES etc), but which will be free for 30 days, and you have to buy it afterwards. No Xbox Live Gold/Playstation Plus freebies!

At least Zelda looks great. Mario as well, if I'm being honest. I like that trailer. But is it really enough to entice the buyers? A lot of people got burned by Wii U and I'm not sure they'll be back for more.

Imagine having this level of Stockholm Syndrome with Nintendo.

eZq7KQy.gif

(I'd rather avoid ALL the trash.)
It's going to be beautiful watching another traiwreck like the Wii U unfold

eZq7KQy.gif

Thanks, man. A couple of days was enough to sear people's corneas with that avatar :p And a lot of PopGAF guys have me on Instagram already, so I figured it was enough. I understand if you're shy and that's OK. If you ever change your mind, tho...

The Tegra X1 chip is already severely underclocked. CPU by 50 % compared to the stock frequency, GPU as well, but even more underclocked when not connected to the stand. It surely is a much different and better architecture than one in Wii U (which dated back to the Gamecube days), but these numbers don't look great compared to the other consoles:

So, even taking into account the HD screen (and by HD I mean regular HD - 1280 x 720) and the custom JoyCon design (which is shockingly expensive), the console is way, way overpriced to what the people were expecting. If one really wants a console, one can purchase a PS4 bundled with Uncharted 4 for a price of 270 USD. Xbox One S bundled with Battlefield costs the same. Both consoles I mentioned come with a controller and have 8 gigs RAM and 500 GB hard disk.

Nintendo Switch doesn't have 8 gigs of RAM (the rumors so far point to 4 gigs of DDR4 RAM), or a hard disk. It has 32 gigs of onboard memory.

Also, the online service offers one free old game per month (NES/SNES etc), but which will be free for 30 days, and you have to buy it afterwards. No Xbox Live Gold/Playstation Plus freebies!

At least Zelda looks great. Mario as well, if I'm being honest. I like that trailer. But is it really enough to entice the buyers? A lot of people got burned by Wii U and I'm not sure they'll be back for more.
You can get a PS4 for $270?

they're done.

eZq7KQy.gif

DOWN

Banned

Is one of the cheapest console launches ever really that controversial? It's cheaper than all their other systems except Wii when you check inflation

And it is a big hybrid proposition. This is the handheld and the console. They aren't expecting people to buy this and arbitrarily pretend it doesn't have the features of both platform styles.

And let's not act like there's full overlap between people who want Nintendo games and portable titles, with people who waited 3+ years to get a discount PS4 after it had long awaited price drops. The smash hit Wii was essentially $30 less, but was only home console playability and had basically 0 of the same games that PS3 and 360 had

That said, this thing will be more successful than Wii U and that's probably the only system it can beat in sales

rhandino

Banned
Is one of the cheapest console launches ever really that controversial? It's cheaper than all their other systems except Wii when you check inflation

And it is a big hybrid proposition. This is the handheld and the console. They aren't expecting people to buy this and arbitrarily pretend it doesn't have the features of both platform styles.

And let's not act like there's full overlap between people who want Nintendo games and portable titles, with people who waited 3+ years to get a discount PS4 after it had long awaited price drops. The smash hit Wii was essentially $30 less, but was only home console playability and had basically 0 of the same games that PS3 and 360 had

That said, this thing will be more successful than Wii U and that's probably the only system it can beat in sales
And that's that on that.

IFsbMMm.gif

Vazduh

You can get a PS4 for $270?

they're done.

Yes. And Xbox One S as well. Despite it being a much weaker console, it's currently the only one playing Ultra HD Blurays, so it's also good value for the money.

Well put, DOWN. Hybrid console is a pretty big deal and that's why it's severely underclocked compared to the default frequency since the battery life is the priority. However, I feel like most gamers are right to expect more at that price. There are plenty of stronger and more affordable alternatives at the moment and Nintendo will have to work extra hard to earn gamers' trust again.

Especially with this, big-ass issue right now:

Launch games:

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
1-2 Switch
Super Bomberman R
Skylanders Imaginators
Just Dance 2017

Another three games come out in March:

SnipperClippers
Fast RMX
Has-Been Heroes

On 28th April:
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe

As for it being more successful than Wii U, time will tell.

I don't know that it's guaranteed to be a greater success than the Wii U. What exactly is Nintendo offering with the Switch that would make customer X grab one off the shelf instead of a PS4? They're asking you to shell $300 for a console with a meek launch lineup (minus a game that will also be available on a cheaper alternative) and a shaky promise of good support in the future. Not to mention a subscription charge for what's guaranteed to be an inferior online service. Not to also mention the specs on this thing are nowhere near market standards and yet they're still trying to position it as a premium product? Girl really?

I've taken enough marketing courses in college to know that this and the Wii U would be pictured in the "how to fail" chapter of the textbook. Just bad, bad, bad ideas. Such a shame that their amazing software has to be weighed down by redundant/difficult hardware. Poor Mario Odyssey.

llehuty

There are plenty of stronger and more affordable alternatives at the moment and Nintendo will have to work extra hard to earn gamers' trust again.
I would like to know about these stronger and more affordable homeconsole/handheld hybrids.

And about the launch lineup. LOL, like anyone is going to play any other thing than The legend of Zelda: Breath of the generation for the first couple of months. And if you want to keep it cute with the family friends you can always get 1 2 Switch or Just Dance.

Nintendo BRINGING IN IT with a new revolutionary concept and people wanting them to release a "me too" console. SMH

Switch, the Self-titled/Lemonade/Anti of consoles.

I don't know that it's guaranteed to be a greater success than the Wii U. What exactly is Nintendo offering with the Switch that would make customer X grab one off the shelf instead of a PS4? They're asking you to shell $300 for a console with a meek launch lineup (minus a game that will also be available on a cheaper alternative) and a shaky promise of good support in the future. Not to mention a subscription charge for what's guaranteed to be an inferior online service. Not to also mention the specs on this thing are nowhere near market standards and yet they're still trying to position it as a premium product? Girl really?

I've taken enough marketing courses in college to know that this and the Wii U would be pictured in the "how to fail" chapter of the textbook. Just bad, bad, bad ideas. Such a shame that their amazing software has to be weighed down by redundant/difficult hardware. Poor Mario Odyssey.
But Soulscribe, the Wii sold a ton! I mean, sure, the Wii came at a time when the mobile gaming scene hadn't taken off yet and casuals had nowhere to go and motion controls were something completely new at the time, but if the Wii could do it then I'm sure that for some reason the Switch will sell millions too!

tumblr_o0vdm7XJiM1ql6ncao1_500.gif

Vazra

Thing about the Switch is that it will try to be both things and not master either side. Sure it will have some good games but in the end I dont see it setting the world in fire.

B-Dex

Arms, FE Musou, SMT, MK8D, Splatoon 2, Xenoslay 2

I'm in. But pre orders were already sold out when I woke up at 8am so now I'll wait for games to actually be out instead of only playing Zelda for 3 months.

Also LEGIT KIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIng at Lego City Undercover being a switch launch game when it was also a Wii Hew launch game.

Yado

I would like to know about these stronger and more affordable homeconsole/handheld hybrids.

And about the launch lineup. LOL, like anyone is going to play any other thing than The legend of Zelda: Breath of the generation for the first couple of months. And if you want to keep it cute with the family friends you can always get 1 2 Switch or Just Dance.

Nintendo BRINGING IN IT with a new revolutionary concept and people wanting them to release a "me too" console. SMH

Switch, the Self-titled/Lemonade/Anti of consoles.

Um Lemonade and Anti were satisfying releases, this is more like if Gaga released another garbage album and called it Luanne instead. I'm ok with the hardware, I'm ok with the pricing but they can fuck right off with those cheap looking games. Any major developer would be embarrassed to show off 1, 2 Switch as an important title.

What were they doing with their time? Where's the quality software?

yos3i.gif

I don't get why Nintendo is expected to meet all these expectations for you all. Like it has to be this price, has to be packed in with a game, has to have x, y, or z title, etc. At this rate, the switch could cure cancer or make Gaga relevant again and y'all still would expect more. It's unfair

Decarabia

I'm sure the quality games are/will be there eventually. Not in a real rush to buy it either since I'm waiting for inevitable price drop or portable only version they'll be forced to make bacause Japan won't care otherwise.

1lveFSi.gif

also mess @ them trying IT with selling 1,2,Switch as anything more than a cheap pack-in.

DOWN

Banned

How exactly was the Wii U position better for sales than the Switch? Wii U was weaker strictly at home $300 console and fighting $180 Xbox 360 bundles and $249 PS3 bundles in 2012. At least the Switch is both their new handheld and home console efforts, has more features, and the systems it is fighting are similar prices if you ignore that Switch is brand new and hasn't had any bundles or price drops. Switch is after more people with a value hybrid proposition and unified libraries at one of the lowest console launch prices ever. It's a fair try compared to Wii U.

I just don't see how it can't beat the awful position Wii U was in.
Don't you buy Apple phones tho?

CibtiE9.gif
The best performing phones every time they release? Nothing wrong with that.

DOWN

Banned
Isn't the Google Pixel the best performing phone out now? And don't the Samsung galaxy 7 outperform it in most aspects too? I also hear the One Plus 3T is also superior and cheaper.
Absolutely not. iPhone 7 fucked over every other phone in all benchmarks when it released despite people whining about single core etc. http://www.anandtech.com/show/10685/the-iphone-7-and-iphone-7-plus-review/3

And it outperforms the newer Google Pixel as well. http://www.redmondpie.com/google-pixel-pixel-xl-vs-apple-iphone-7-7-plus-benchmarks-comparison/

There plenty of variations of benchmark tests online but they all give the same results so feel free to Google.

Or Bing? Respect the deceased.

rhandino

Banned
I tend to forget that Bing is a thing that exists much like Lana del Rey or Megan Trainor.

Anyway! I am listening to St. Vincent and I just realized that we are almost 3 years without a new album from ha.

How exactly was the Wii U position better for sales than the Switch? Wii U was weaker strictly at home $300 console and fighting $180 Xbox 360 bundles and $249 PS3 bundles in 2012. At least the Switch is both their new handheld and home console efforts, has more features, and the systems it is fighting are similar prices if you ignore that Switch is brand new and hasn't had any bundles or price drops. Switch is after more people with a value hybrid proposition and unified libraries at one of the lowest console launch prices ever. It's a fair try compared to Wii U.

I just don't see how it can't beat the awful position Wii U was in.

The best performing phones every time they release? Nothing wrong with that.

Well it's in an awful position but the damage seems to be more self-inflicted this time. Over-priced with very little support. They happened to both be late to the party AND somehow unprepared. Honestly I think this system could fare well if the pricing wasn't so insulting, or if more than just Zelda was launching in March. I mean between all these Wii U ports not one of them is making it to launch? I thought that was the point of last-gen ports? And the fact that they haven't even demoed their online offerings (let alone their UI) tells me that either there's not much to see or there's not much to present yet. They've spent more than a year neglecting their console for the sake of Switch development so I know there's much more to show, but if you're not working to convince consumers that this thing has promise, why would they bother (yet again)?

Top Bottom