• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bicycle age

ConvenientBox said:
I'm thinking of buying some Aero bars for my Giant Defy, anyone have experience with this? Thanks!

Expect to pay 80-100$, look at Profile Design. Theirs are quite popular. For instance, the Profile Design T1 plus. Should do the job.

cbox

perryfarrell said:
Expect to pay 80-100$, look at Profile Design. Theirs are quite popular. For instance, the Profile Design T1 plus. Should do the job.

that sounds reasonable, I went to my local bike shop and the guy whipped out these $700 carbon fiber ones - i'll check em out, thanks

edit : looks like I'd have to order from ebay or drive to montreal to get em lol

TxdoHawk

I want a single speed (not a fixie, although a fixie with a flip-flop hub that converts to SS is obviously fine) for short casual rides. Looking for light weight and simplicity over everything else. I wouldn't even be terribly opposed to a coaster brake, because I'll be riding this on very quiet nearly traffic-free back roads. Bonus points if I can get it in orange. $500 roughly or less.

I'd be all about something like those bikes Sole sells, but from what I understand the delay in shipping is massive and the quality isn't great. What should I look at, GAF?

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
TxdoHawk said:
I want a single speed (not a fixie, although a fixie with a flip-flop hub that converts to SS is obviously fine) for short casual rides. Looking for light weight and simplicity over everything else. I wouldn't even be terribly opposed to a coaster brake, because I'll be riding this on very quiet nearly traffic-free back roads. Bonus points if I can get it in orange. $500 roughly or less.

I'd be all about something like those bikes Sole sells, but from what I understand the delay in shipping is massive and the quality isn't great. What should I look at, GAF?
Funny. I am borrowing my friend's single speed just to have fun with it for awhile.

We9BB.jpg

It is a cheap mail order Motobecane Messenger, they are not the best components on it, but I find it competent to get me around. Here is a link to BikesDirect's listing: Motobecane Messenger Track. I put 30+ miles on it on a ride the other day and ran into no problems.

Sethos

Banned
OuterWorldVoice said:
Haha u got suckered bike don't even got pedals.

I actually got suckered with that, my new bike arrived and was trying to find the pedals in the box for 15-20 minutes - Talked to the company in German, apparently this model along with many other models don't come with pedals as standard.

Crock of shite, had to order some and wait an extra day.

Quick picture of my new beauty ( Sort of ) and I couldn't get far enough back for a full view :p

GBNqV.png

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Sethos said:
I actually got suckered with that, my new bike arrived and was trying to find the pedals in the box for 15-20 minutes - Talked to the company in German, apparently this model along with many other models don't come with pedals as standard.
Nice bikes don't come with pedals, that was the joke. The company figures the buyer will be putting on their own pedals for their specific shoes, so why bother sending stock pedals.

TxdoHawk said:
Thanks, this looks right up my alley!
My pleasure, just trying to help out.

ibu

Some cracking bikes in this thread and alot of you folks are real aficionado's. So I think I may well be in the right thread.

I am considering getting rid of the need of an Oyster card and instead using a bike to commute to work/uni and back home again. I currently live in Wembley, London and intend to cycle to Brick Lane, East London. Besides it will give me the opportunity to get healthy as well.

I have a bike back home which I use for all my off-road and getting muddy activities. But I just want a simple runner down here that will enable me to forgo paying upwards of £120 p/m on transport.

I have been looking at the single-speed city runners like a lot of those trendy shoreditch folks ride.
Example
I just worry about the logistical disadvantages of using such a bike to get me to and from work. Will I have struggles with a single speed in the city and should I just opt for a different bike?

Bearing in mind I want to be able to carry my lappy in my bag, some books and some spare pants (trousers) there shouldn't be anything too intense.

I don't want to spend too much, but I also don't want to put myself at a tricky disadvantage by choosing something fashionable over functional. My budget is around £150-200 as I will get rid of the bike in around 6 months.

note: I used to cycle quite a lot when training for the marines, but tore the patella tendon in my left knee twice. As a result I haven't cycled for around a year now.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Incognito said:
so i tried out the cervelo and ehh. did some more test rides and decided on this:

[picture without pedals]

felt greeat on the road and will be picking up wednesday!

2vm5zk2.png

It's great when you find a frame that fits your body. I hope you and your Tarmac have a great life together.

When one spends that much on a bicycle, they would be silly not putting on a nice pair of clipless pedals. Their benefit outweigh almost all other components on a bicycle.

My normal bike got stolen a few months ago (it's ok, it was insured) so i've been riding my weather/commute bike more than I would like to (it's a piece of shit with Shimano 105, but what are you gonna do?).

So on Sunday morning I go on my regular ride with the local cycling club and I'm getting all these looks and stares. Finally somebody blurts out "You're not riding with us with that junk!"

Ugh, cycling elitism at its worst.

So i've decided I'm gonna put together a Cipollini with a Campy record 12 groupset. That'll show them.

Para bailar La Bomba said:
So on Sunday morning I go on my regular ride with the local cycling club and I'm getting all these looks and stares. Finally somebody blurts out "You're not riding with us with that junk!"

You should dropped them on a climb, let them catch up, and thrown down some of this on their front brakes.

weremichael said:
It's great when you find a frame that fits your body. I hope you and your Tarmac have a great life together.

When one spends that much on a bicycle, they would be silly not putting on a nice pair of clipless pedals. Their benefit outweigh almost all other components on a bicycle.

thanks! i messed up the orginal image/link, tho. here's my bike:

xnarzn.png

(trust me, bike is not ridden on mountain trails, contrary to picture!)

needless to say, i am loving it. i'll be converting to clipless pedals very soon as i'm still getting into the motion of riding since my transplant. i'm now doing about 25 miles a day and feel great. if i didn't have pesky real world obligations, i don't think i would ever leave the road trails!

Do you think I can find some good deals on 2011 MTBs right now at an LBS, or did I miss that train already?

Thinking about a 29er, loving the 2012 Scott Scales.

McLovin

I just got this bike Diamondback Response sorry for the amazon link. I got it at Dicks for 319 on sale. My last bike was one of those cheap walmart bikes the change was crazy. Decided to test myself and road 18 miles to another town and then road back :)

Quote said:
Do you think I can find some good deals on 2011 MTBs right now at an LBS, or did I miss that train already?

Thinking about a 29er, loving the 2012 Scott Scales.
Good time would be about now as 2012s are stating to trickle in.

cbox

weremichael said:

I'm not a fan of clipless pedals, I have loops strapping me in.

magicstop

I'm really wanting to pick up a Trek / Gary Fisher Mendota now! I've got a baller-ass mountain bike (a couple of pages back), but I really need a commuter. I want something with a nice hybrid geometry, but that favors mountain bikes (I prefer to be more upright and less bent over), and that I can take off curbs, through pot holes, and down gravel roads / broken pavement with no problem. However, I want fully rigid action, and I want it light-ish, etc. Mendota owners, does this sound like you?
Only problem is the price tag right now. I've got $5300 in my mountain bike, and I can't swallow another $1200 at the moment. Any recommendations on reliable sources for used bikes w/ big selections? I've not really shopped the used market before.

Anyone have an opinion on a 2011 Trek Marlin 29er? One of the local LBS have one for $590, should I try to go lower with them? Also, it's a 19" and I ride a 56" Felt Road Bike, is that about the right size?

Went down to Steamboat yesterday and watched the US Pro Challenge on Rabbit Ears Pass. What an awesome experience. I have never seen professional cyclists in action. It was amazing seeing some of my cycling heroes so close. I will definitely go again next year.

ConvenientBox said:
I'm not a fan of clipless pedals, I have loops strapping me in.

I am afraid of toe straps. I think it goes back to mountain biking in the early 90s. I remember being unable to get out of them and landing on rocks. Of course landing on rocks was pretty much my mountain biking career.

What don't you like about clipless pedals? I have "forgotten" how to unclip at stop signs before. It always begins with a lean and the knowing that you're going to eat shit in slow motion. I always end up laughing, it is hilarious.

TxdoHawk said:
I want a single speed (not a fixie, although a fixie with a flip-flop hub that converts to SS is obviously fine) for short casual rides.

Look into the Mercier Kilo TT. However, it won't be lightweight. You'll have to add a single-speed cog and brakes (both front and back).

Incognito said:
needless to say, i am loving it.
Great choice, much better than that Cervelo you were looking at. The Roubaix is slightly more upright than many roadbikes, and has greater clearance around the forks so you can fit 28mm tires on it. Plus it has spring-y things in the chainstays so that the ride is cushier. It's named after the brutal race Paris-Roubaix where a bike with those features would be ideal.

ibu said:
I have been looking at the single-speed city runners like a lot of those trendy shoreditch folks ride. I just worry about the logistical disadvantages of using such a bike to get me to and from work.
Fixed gear bikes suck if you ride in work clothes, carry a briefcase or encounter rain, etc. From the sound of itm, you live in Britain. Why not get a classic 3-speed with fenders etc? They should be available used and not too pricey.

itwasTuesday

He wasn't alone.
weremichael said:
I have "forgotten" how to unclip at stop signs before. It always begins with a lean and the knowing that you're going to eat shit in slow motion. I always end up laughing, it is hilarious.

Always hurts so much more when people are watching.

brentech

I used clipless pedals on the road 3 or 4 times before going on a single track trail.
When I finally took them to the trail, it was a muddy day, and my tire sank in while turning right. All momentum was lost and I had my first slow-mo fall into some weeds and a bush on the left side.

Took a set of thorns to my left forearm cutting me up pretty bad, but I honestly didn't really feel anything. So far I haven't had any problems on the roads.

I don't forget about them in normal use, but when you need your foot urgently, you just blink and realize it's already too late.

Antagon

itwasTuesday said:
Always hurts so much more when people are watching.

Had an MTB clinic with some friends a while back, one guy had his own cliprolled over about 12 times that single day. Just too funny, especially as you saw him just roll over slowly every single time.

I had two wipeouts that day as well though, both times went head first over my handlebars so I guess I shouldn't have laughed too much.

perryfarrell said:
Great choice, much better than that Cervelo you were looking at. The Roubaix is slightly more upright than many roadbikes, and has greater clearance around the forks so you can fit 28mm tires on it. Plus it has spring-y things in the chainstays so that the ride is cushier. It's named after the brutal race Paris-Roubaix where a bike with those features would be ideal.

thanks! and yeah, that's ultimately why i chose it. a lot of the road bike trails here alternate between smooth pavement and boardwalks/cobblestone.

btw, as far as clipless goes, what would you all recommend? both pedals and shoes.

For road I use Shimano 105s. Before purchasing them I was torn between them and the Looks, but everything I read about Looks said they start to click and make other weird noises.

For MTB, I hear nothing buy good things about Eggbeaters.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
Awesome hybrids guys.

This is the one I'm eying for NYC riding (with road tires for a mountain bike though)

Mongoose DH Team Mountain Bike

I4K6X.jpg

In black it looks even better, I just love the look of the bike and it's heavy enough for the working out I want out of it.

It's a Walmart bike but it's very strong and sells for $450+ still. A coworker friend of mine let me ride his bike and it was really fun.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
My knees are sore. Do your guys' knees get sore? They're not really in pain, just kind worn out feeling.

So... Hello, Bike-GAF. I have a query.

I want a solid foldable bike for riding around campus. I already have a Cannondale, so I'm looking for something different. Just a dependable bike that I can fit in the trunk of my car and ride around on campus.

Any recommendations?

Holy shit. I just got destroyed taking my brand new Trek 7000 over to my mom's for dinner. Its only five miles but I underestimated how much of am incline the uphill is. At least the trip home will be easy.

cbox

weremichael said:
Went down to Steamboat yesterday and watched the US Pro Challenge on Rabbit Ears Pass. What an awesome experience. I have never seen professional cyclists in action. It was amazing seeing some of my cycling heroes so close. I will definitely go again next year.

I am afraid of toe straps. I think it goes back to mountain biking in the early 90s. I remember being unable to get out of them and landing on rocks. Of course landing on rocks was pretty much my mountain biking career.

What don't you like about clipless pedals? I have "forgotten" how to unclip at stop signs before. It always begins with a lean and the knowing that you're going to eat shit in slow motion. I always end up laughing, it is hilarious.
Forgot about this post! I've had a few bad near accidents I've avoided with my loops. Had I clip in's I would have been pretty hurt. I just didn'tpoole the feeling of being connected to my bike at all times and have seen.a few friends get hurt. They do lolol cool though :p

magicstop

Well, I decided on my commuter . . . B/C I have such a complex, expensive mountain bike (Specialized Enduro SL several pages back), I decided to go with a cheap, ultra-simple commuter.
Enter the Felt Brougham! I don't have pics of mine yet, but here it is:

felt-brougham-2010-zoom.jpg

It's a steel frame, single speed urban ride, and it is a BLAST. I haven't had this much fun on a bike since I got into mountain biking. The single speed aspect is really, really fun for me. I can't explain it well, but you get such a monumental sense of freedom from having only one gear. No decisions to make, no actions to take, to mechanical parts to worry about, listen to, or fiddle with. It's just pure, simple biking. Pedal = move!

cbox

Damnit, went riding last night and collided with my brother - in the end 2 of my spokes are bent and my tire is untrue now. Best way to fix other than a bike shop? Or just man up and take it in..

Looking for some help here Bike-GAF. I have a Schwinn Sidewinder that my brother bought at Walmart (or Target?) around 15 years ago. I use it to commute to campus 5-10 times a week (until it gets too cold in the winter) on nearly flat terrain (I'm in central Illinois). The trek is a very brief 1.5 miles 1-way, yet I cannot help but feel like I'm working way too hard on this crappy thing. I've been weightlifting, running, and playing tennis for upwards of 4 years now consistently and am in good shape, but fuck all if using this bike doesn't seem like a major pain in the ass. I do have new-ish slick tires on it which made a big difference, but I'm wondering if there isn't a $200-$400 bike out there that's light-weight and good on paved roads that GAF could recommend? Or, alternatively, are there minor alterations I can make to my bike to improve it?

Mostly, I am a complete newb and don't even know where to start. Any help is appreciated.

Slayer-33 said:
It's a Walmart bike but it's very strong and sells for $450+ still. A coworker friend of mine let me ride his bike and it was really fun.

I wouldn't buy it. The name Mongoose means nothing; it's still a Wall-mart bike. Why would you want a heavy mountain bike for the streets of New York? There's much better bikes for that purpose. Look into second hand. Components are gonna be pretty shitty probably too.

FlightOfHeaven said:
So... Hello, Bike-GAF. I have a query. I want a solid foldable bike for riding around campus.

I'd go with a proven brand, such as Brompton ($$), Dahon or Bike Friday. Especially Dahon, they make nice stuff.

After doing some reading, I came across the Downtube Nova. That looks like a pretty darn cheap folder and reviews are positive.

Soka said:
I have a Schwinn Sidewinder that my brother bought at Walmart. Or, alternatively, are there minor alterations I can make to my bike to improve it?

Never ever buy new components for an old, el-cheapo Wal-mart bike. It's a guaranteed waste of money. Either do some maintenance (lube chain, pump tires, check brakes), and keep riding it (either you're not in as good shape as you think you were, or the bike is just crap). Otherwise, just buy another bike. There are no $2-300 good new bikes. IF you have to buy a cheap one, go to bikesdirect.com. But it's better to spend a bit more.
ConvenientBox said:
Forgot about this post! I've had a few bad near accidents I've avoided with my loops. Had I clip in's I would have been pretty hurt. I just didn'tpoole the feeling of being connected to my bike at all times and have seen.a few friends get hurt. They do lolol cool though :p

Clipless pedals, when properly used, are much safer than pedal cages, when properly used.

With pedal cages, you're supposed to tighten the straps around the nose of your shoe. If you don't, you might as well use platform. With clipless, you're supposed to learn how to unclip with a simple rotation. Practicing it a few times means you'll be able to unclip in the fraction of a second.

magicstop said:
Well, I decided on my commuter . . . B/C I have such a complex, expensive mountain bike (Specialized Enduro SL several pages back), I decided to go with a cheap, ultra-simple commuter.
Enter the Felt Brougham! I don't have pics of mine yet, but here it is:

felt-brougham-2010-zoom.jpg

It's a steel frame, single speed urban ride, and it is a BLAST. I haven't had this much fun on a bike since I got into mountain biking. The single speed aspect is really, really fun for me. I can't explain it well, but you get such a monumental sense of freedom from having only one gear. No decisions to make, no actions to take, to mechanical parts to worry about, listen to, or fiddle with. It's just pure, simple biking. Pedal = move!
now just wait until you try fixed gear riding

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, I really really enjoy riding fixed. Right now my only bike is fixed, but I'm gonna build a 3speed pretty soon I think. Or at least something with gears so I can go on a bike tour next year. Not really sure yet. I feel like gears require a lot of maintenence.

Jobiensis

perryfarrell said:
Clipless pedals, when properly used, are much safer than pedal cages, when properly used.

I don't understand how people can have a problem with clipless after a little practice. It becomes second nature to unclip. I'm about as uncoordinated as they come, but I don't have any problem unclipping even in panic stops.

I tried to use the straps. In order to pull up they needed to be cinched down so much, that I had to reach down and loosen them to get my foot out. No thanks.

cbox

My bike is fitted to me so I don't have to tighten my straps whatsoever. I could probably go platform, but I like having an area to rest my foot "Inside".

job is your bike fitted? It doesn't sound right that you have to pull up.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Jobiensis said:
I don't understand how people can have a problem with clipless after a little practice. It becomes second nature to unclip. I'm about as uncoordinated as they come, but I don't have any problem unclipping even in panic stops.

I tried to use the straps. In order to pull up they needed to be cinched down so much, that I had to reach down and loosen them to get my foot out. No thanks.

The problem people have is torque - you forget, you start to fall and instead of turning your foot, your instinct is to lift it and put it down on the ground. Those movements are incompatible with gravity and SPD technology and BAM. Slow mo fall.

Top Bottom