• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bicycle age

Whelp, took the plunge today and ordered a Trek 7.2 fx, they didnt have the color I wanted in stock so they had to order it. Rode it around the trail by the shop for 20 minutes and loved it, so much better than my mountain bike.

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
Trying to find a road bike.

I am of the all mountain/downhill clan normally.

However, I am tiring of hipsters zooming past me, and folks yelling "Hey XGames" at me.

Any suggestions? I guess I'd be willing to drop around $2K.

I am a bit worried about narrow tires as I am over 200 lbs.

Yeah, I already have a set of slicks for my regular bikes, but would still like a road bike.

Moofers

ChiTownBuffalo said:

However, I am tiring of hipsters zooming past me, and folks yelling "Hey XGames" at me.

Yeah, I already have a set of slicks for my regular bikes, but would still like a road bike.

200 lbs is no big deal. I raced professionally at 185 lbs and trained all the time with guys bigger than me. Don't let that worry you. Just make sure if you get a regular wheel set (by that I mean not special racing wheels) you get something sturdy with 32 spokes and you'll be fine.

As for your bike, frames don't matter so much as your components. Lots of guys will tell you Aluminum, Titanium, Steel, etc. I never cared about that, personally. A good set of components will get you the most for your money. That and the wheelset.

That said, some of my favorite frames from my time in the sport were:

-Klein
-Waterford
-Appel
-Cannondale

Klein and Cannondale you can find everywhere. Waterford is made in Wisconsin, and Appel is pretty rare these days, I'm guessing. If you live anywhere outside the midwest, the last two woud be a lot less common.

Captain Pants

Killed by a goddamned Dredgeling
I ruined the front wheel on my new bike this morning. A lady decided to blow through this crosswalk without looking to se if anyone was using it and I ran over a curb, bent my wheel and destroyed my tire when I dodged her big stupid fucking SUV. I was really looking forward to riding today.:(

Completed the London to Southend ride yesterday for the British Heart foundation, was good fun and decent ride at around 52 miles.
Really enjoyed overtaking people on roadbikes up hills while on my MTB with road tyres fitted. Want to get a roadbike now though, anyone here got a Boardman bike?

ChiTownBuffalo said:
Any suggestions? I guess I'd be willing to drop around $2k

Walk to your nearest bikeshop and let them tell you about Trek's, Cannondale's, Specialized's latest offerings. Or go for a less well-known or even Euro brand (but they might be more expensive).

2k gets you a decent, complete aluminum road bike with solid components (Shimano ultegra--but also consider SRAM components if they sell it).

For instance, if you go to Cannondale's website, look for the CAAD10. 1700 bucks, aluminum frame, SRAM Rival components. You can't go wrong with that one.

One more tip: You weight may indeed be a bit of a problem. I'm 190 pounds and oftentimes break spokes. I've replaced my wheels with sturdier ones--but it really depends on your riding style and also weight distribution.

ChiTownBuffalo said:

$2000 will get you a hell of a bike from any major manufacturer. There simply isn't a "bad" bike at that price, just ones with different ride feels and geometry.

My advice: Go ride as many bikes at as many shops as possible. Find a bike that seems to feel right, and then focus in on that brand. make sure the shop is cool and really helpful. make sure they do a proper fitting for you.

I personally am a huge fan of Trek and Specialized, with a love for the Jamis Quest as well.

You should be able to get this under $2000

trek_madone31_2011.jpg

Carbon fiber frame, good components, and an incredible ride. Long term I would personally upgrade the wheels. Don't worry about it now, but in 18 months you'll get the itch to upgrade something on your bike. Make it the wheels.

The frame is the single most important part of the bike, with the wheels a close second. :)

This is my favorite wheel build: Mavic Open Pro rims with Shimano Ultegra hubs. They are sturdy but offer a supple ride....

outunderthestars said:
1. make sure you are running proper tire pressure. The vast majority of flats are caused by improper pressure..

2. Schwalbe makes the most bombproof tires on Earth. This is what we put on touring bikes for people touring South America and Africa.

thanks for the info, i will look into those.

I make sure to inflate my tires properly once a week, I probably should do it everyday.

I use the instant apply patches, they work well

h1nch

outunderthestars said:
$2000 will get you a hell of a bike from any major manufacturer. There simply isn't a "bad" bike at that price, just ones with different ride feels and geometry.

My advice: Go ride as many bikes at as many shops as possible. Find a bike that seems to feel right, and then focus in on that brand. make sure the shop is cool and really helpful. make sure they do a proper fitting for you.

I personally am a huge fan of Trek and Specialized, with a love for the Jamis Quest as well.

You should be able to get this under $2000

trek_madone31_2011.jpg

Carbon fiber frame, good components, and an incredible ride. Long term I would personally upgrade the wheels. Don't worry about it now, but in 18 months you'll get the itch to upgrade something on your bike. Make it the wheels.

The frame is the single most important part of the bike, with the wheels a close second. :)

This is my favorite wheel build: Mavic Open Pro rims with Shimano Ultegra hubs. They are sturdy but offer a supple ride....

So I just bought this bike on Monday and took it out for its first ride tonight, a quick 14 mile ride through downtown San Antonio.

Verdict? AWESOME. This is my first road bike and I wanted something good that i could ride for years, and Trek is having a sale right now. This bike normally retails for $2000 but its on sale for $1699 MSRP

I've been riding a Trek hardtail mountain bike for a few years now so I'm a total newb when it comes to road bikes. It definitely takes some getting used to as I'm not accustomed to feeling every single bump on the road.

I'm definitely going to start training for longer rides. I'd like to eventually ride in the local MS 150 ride next year.

Captain Pants

Killed by a goddamned Dredgeling
Wow! That bike is rad Kraftwerk! I got some serious road rash earlier this week. It is healing up alright, but I'm going to have some huge scars.
zFges.jpg

I'm a very safe rider, so I don't know why I've had such bad luck this week.:p

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Captain Pants said:
Wow! That bike is rad Kraftwerk! I got some serious road rash earlier this week. It is healing up alright, but I'm going to have some huge scars.
[IM]http://i.imgur.com/zFges.jpg[/IMG]
I'm a very safe rider, so I don't know why I've had such bad luck this week.:p
You shouldn't have scars from that really.

h1nch said:
So I just bought this bike on Monday and took it out for its first ride tonight, a quick 14 mile ride through downtown San Antonio.

Verdict? AWESOME. This is my first road bike and I wanted something good that i could ride for years, and Trek is having a sale right now. This bike normally retails for $2000 but its on sale for $1699 MSRP

I've been riding a Trek hardtail mountain bike for a few years now so I'm a total newb when it comes to road bikes. It definitely takes some getting used to as I'm not accustomed to feeling every single bump on the road.

I'm definitely going to start training for longer rides. I'd like to eventually ride in the local MS 150 ride next year.

Congrats on the new bike!!!

Which MS 150? What state? :D

emomoonbase

I'm free 2night after my LARPing guild meets.
VivaZapata said:
What is Gaffers thoughts on Comfort bikes?
51AIIUjqPsL._AA280_.jpg

Depends on your needs. If you ride mostly shorter distances and aren't worried about super speed they are great. Plus the upright seating posistion increases your vision to see cars, commuters, etc and is pretty easy on your back and neck.

If you plan to start doing longer rides your going to find the extra weight and comfort oriented ergonomics are going to become a hindrance after you start breaking the 10+ mile range compared to a proper road bike however.

emomoonbase said:
Depends on your needs. If you ride mostly shorter distances and aren't worried about super speed they are great. Plus the upright seating posistion increases your vision to see cars, commuters, etc and is pretty easy on your back and neck.

If you plan to start doing longer rides your going to find the extra weight and comfort oriented ergonomics are going to become a hindrance after you start breaking the 10+ mile range compared to a proper road bike however.

Thanks for the feedback. I definitely need this type of bike , until i am in better physical condition for a road bike.

barnone

Hey bike gaf. Can anyone recommend a decent, not-too-expensive indoor bike rack/mount? I prefer not to have to mount in on a wall (unless it's extremely easy to install). I just dont want the wheels to sit on the carpet. I have an XL frame hybrid bike that is more geared toward road riding.

I just got an Ascente Revolution for free. This is literally the only picture of this type of bike on the internet (not mine). There is no information about them whatsoever. Nowhere. It rides well though. The colors are hot pink, neon yellow, and white. Anyone have info on it?
pf1mU.jpg

emomoonbase

I'm free 2night after my LARPing guild meets.
barnone said:
Hey bike gaf. Can anyone recommend a decent, not-too-expensive indoor bike rack/mount? I prefer not to have to mount in on a wall (unless it's extremely easy to install). I just dont want the wheels to sit on the carpet. I have an XL frame hybrid bike that is more geared toward road riding.

Park Tools makes what is essentially a repair rack which sits on a tripod of legs and clamps around the seat post or top tube with an arm that extends out 90 degrees from the top. I use mine obviously for repairs, but pretty much leave whatever bike was in it last there hanging until it's time to ride again. Might be an option. They range from $90 to $300 depending on what model.

2ry3x3t.jpg

h1nch said:

You ride in SA? Sweeeet. I've been riding downtown, too. Although lately mostly in Olmos Park/Alamo Heights area (lots of great routes, roads are in good shape, and it's where I live). I've also been hitting up the Leon Creek Greenbelt trails. Will usually start at Valero trailhead and end up at right near Bandera road.

I'm currently riding a Cannondale R6 but I'm going to try this out later tonight and hopefully if I like the ride I'll purchase in the next week or so.

http://www.cervelo.com/en_us/bikes/2011/S2/

f2rj44.png

Just participated in my first triathlon on Sunday. It was a blast.
I also decided that I really dislike the look of most tri bikes. I know aerodynamics are important and whatnot, but there has to be a way to make these bikes fast without all the glossy carbon fiber. Some of the bikes there look like they were designed by someone coming off a coke fueled Fast and the Furious marathon.
e.g.
mmpLYl.jpg

magicstop

IMG_8741.jpg

I don't ride nearly often enough to justify this beauty of a bike, but it's one splurge that I don't regret at all.
2009 Specialized Enduro SL Expert
2009 Specialized E150 Double Crown Fork
2010 Specialized Command Post adjustable seatpost

emomoonbase said:
^ What brand of bike is that? Maybe a Trek? Hard to tell...

Ha! All trek road bikes are like that now. :(

Could be worse. Orbea used to put the url of their their website all over their bikes. As if someone who could afford a six thousand dollar road bike couldn't figure out how to get to orbea.com

Antagon

VivaZapata said:
51AIIUjqPsL._AA280_.jpg

You can get something far more practical then that. Get something with at least a firm luggage rack, coat guards and chain guards so you can ride it in your everyday clothes, use it for groceries or even give a friend a ride.

Antagon said:
You can get something far more practical then that. Get something with at least a firm luggage rack, coat guards and chain guards so you can ride it in your everyday clothes, use it for groceries or even give a friend a ride.

I actually own this bike . It was on clearance lol. I wish it came with those accessories, but half the fun is modding it.
Thanks for the feedback.

ameratsu

I'm looking for some advice about possibly getting a new bike

I currently ride a 1988 Bianchi Campione D'Italia (Celeste) road bike that I bought used 4 years ago for $250. It was in great shape, not hacked up, and over time made me into an avid bike commuter. It is 90% original and still has the vast majority of stock parts. If I wanted to get rid of it, the frame is still probably worth over $200, meaning I will lose virtually nothing on my purchase if I decide to sell it.

Today I am at the point where I am trying to figure out if I want to buy a new road bike for commuting or throw money at my Bianchi to improve it. I find the stock campalagno derailleur with downtube shifters to be inconsistent and wonky. I'm not sure what would be involved in upgrading the drivetrain components, nor do I have experience working on bikes beyond the basics.

I am willing to spend $1000-$1500 on a new bike, but I am afraid of getting something that will attract thieves. This is the biggest factor working against getting a new bike and for upgrading what I already have.

What I'd really like to know is if it's worth the plunge for a new bike which would be primarily used for commuting and likely some group riding and club events in the coming years, and if I should maybe just keep my Bianchi even if i get a new bike.

TheExodu5

Banned
I'm looking to buy a new bike, maybe around the $1000 price range. I'd be biking mostly on bike paths, but I want to leave the option open for a bit of offroading. A hybrid might be the best option in that case? Or maybe just a hardtail to leave my options more open?

Any recommendations? I'm in Canada.

edit: these two are looking attractive, at this point:

http://www.konaworld.com/bike.cfm?content=dr_fine

http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_...4442630191&FOLDER<>folder_id=2534374302886468

I really dig the style of the MEC:

Mountain-Equipment-Co-op-MEC-Hold-Steady-e11342614.jpg

Seems similar to the Kona in terms of performance...

alphaNoid

Banned
Here is my 2010 Gary Fisher Rail (All Trek made) ... the Fischer brand is gone for road bikes now, its all Trek "Gary Fisher" Edition. So I have one of the last.. or so I think?

Anyways.. heres my baby ..

280115_249363188409344_100000069934115_1086094_3954190_o.jpg

TheExodu5 said:
I'm looking to buy a new bike, maybe around the $1000 price range. I'd be biking mostly on bike paths, but I want to leave the option open for a bit of offroading. A hybrid might be the best option in that case? Or maybe just a hardtail to leave my options more open?

http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_...4442630191&FOLDER<>folder_id=2534374302886468

I don't think you could go wrong with either one. I like the color scheme of the MEC better.

Dyno

VivaZapata said:
51AIIUjqPsL._AA280_.jpg

I ride one of these. I have a Batavus Utility Bike and I really like it. It's a smooth, relaxing, and comfortable ride. No speed records going to be broken though.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
VivaZapata said:
51AIIUjqPsL._AA280_.jpg

If you enjoy being overtaken by every road bike in the area, go for it. I ride my dad's comfort bike (can't afford mine at the moment), and it's just extremely cumbersome. I've taken it out on 50-mile rides and it's just very annoying for the most part. Comfort bike my ass. You have to exert a ton of energy to ride it up hills and you never feel like you're going as fast as you can on straight-aways because it's just so slow.

TheExodu5

Banned
Ethics Gradient said:
I don't think you could go wrong with either one. I like the color scheme of the MEC better.

Thanks.

I'm also considering a cyclo-cross bike. What would be the advantage of going one over the other? It seems almost like the versatility of the cyclo-cross bike might make it a more attractive buy. Which bike would be faster?

Anyone ride an all-mountain bike? i.e. low travel dual suspension that can take some punishment.

I have a big freeride bike but I'm moving to a mostly flat town and I'm thinking of getting a low travel bike. That Specialized looks great.

How much do I need to spend to get something that can climb, take abuse (jumps/drops), and weigh less than 33ish lbs? Thanks. Used or new is fine.

TheExodu5 said:
Thanks.

I'm also considering a cyclo-cross bike. What would be the advantage of going one over the other? It seems almost like the versatility of the cyclo-cross bike might make it a more attractive buy. Which bike would be faster?

You know I had to make the same decision recently. It all comes down to how you prefer your stance on these bikes. The cyclocross I snagged has drop bars like a road bike, so the stance can be lower if you want to lean down for speed. Those bikes you listed have a more comfortable upright stance... but I'd imagine they're plenty fast as well.

Otherwise, it looks the Kona & MEC have IGH, which I kind of wish I'd been able to get. I ride near the beach a lot and the sand is already infiltrating my drivetrain. This is something I may convert to later on.

ameratsu said:
Today I am at the point where I am trying to figure out if I want to buy a new road bike for commuting or throw money at my Bianchi to improve it. I find the stock campalagno derailleur with downtube shifters to be inconsistent and wonky.

A major upgrade to a bike you no longer like is hardly ever worth it, economically. The money you end up spending will equal the price of a new one. So I'd say: get a new bike. Just a road bike. I'm partial to the Cannondale CAAD10 (aluminum, therefore somewhat crash-proof), just a no-nonsense bike you can go fast on.

Or: get the drive train fixed. It shouldn't be that difficult to get a Campagnolo shifter working again (in fact, it'll look better on an old bike also). Bring it to a shop if you have to.

incognito said:
I'm currently riding a Cannondale R6 but I'm going to try this out later tonight and hopefully if I like the ride I'll purchase in the next week or so. [picture of Cervelo]

That's a very nice bike if money is no concern. Great for competitive racing, etc. If you're more into recreational riding and the occasional club ride, I'd not deck it out as much. (Definitely skip the carbon wheels. They're very expensive and the aero advantage is negligible.)

MrOogieBoogie said:
If you enjoy being overtaken by every road bike in the area, go for it. I ride my dad's comfort bike (can't afford mine at the moment), and it's just extremely cumbersome. I've taken it out on 50-mile rides.

Those comfort bikes are not made for riding 50 milers. They're useful for commuting, short recreational rides, going into town for shopping etc. If you're worried about road bikes passing you when you're on one of those bikes, you're doing it wrong.

Sharkmuncher said:
Just participated in my first triathlon on Sunday. It was a blast.
I also decided that I really dislike the look of most tri bikes.

Excellent & congrats, triathlons are awesome. The reason why these bikes look the way they do is because aerodynamics are VERY important. In fact, 70% of your effort on the bike goes into fighting the air resistance you encounter. If you make sure your position is as low as possible, you wear an aero helmet, you wear a skintight suit... you're gonna require less effort to go fast. (Aero wheels, as I said earlier, contribute a little bit. But not as much as position, helmet, bike.) Who cares about what they look like anyways? In fact, caring about your bike's looks itself looks a bit funny. It's all about goin fast.

perryfarrell said:
Excellent & congrats, triathlons are awesome. The reason why these bikes look the way they do is because aerodynamics are VERY important. In fact, 70% of your effort on the bike goes into fighting the air resistance you encounter. If you make sure your position is as low as possible, you wear an aero helmet, you wear a skintight suit... you're gonna require less effort to go fast. (Aero wheels, as I said earlier, contribute a little bit. But not as much as position, helmet, bike.) Who cares about what they look like anyways? In fact, caring about your bike's looks itself looks a bit funny. It's all about goin fast.

You know, I never really thought wind resistance would be that big of a deal at ~30 mph, but the more I think about it, biking on a windy day is awful and wind resistance has a much bigger impact on a low mass object such as a cyclist so it all makes more sense now. The ridiculous branding all over the bikes is still ridiculous though.

Kraftwerk

TheExodu5 said:

Seems similar to the Kona in terms of performance...

If you like the style of that MEC bike and want offroading options, check these models out;

Giant Seek 2 and Seek 0

Marin Point Reyes 29er and Muirwoods 29er

The Muirwoods 29er is a personal favorite of mine. Its a fucking bomb proof bike. An urban assault bike as we call it.

The chromo frame gives it a very smooth ride.

The 29er wheels make you roll down the street like a tank on steroids. You can pedal twice and be already top of a hill with those wheels.

Price point is very good too.

Sexy bike imo;

HI- RES

TheExodu5

Banned
Thanks for the suggestions.

Looking at a few other hybrids now. Maybe something like this might fit my needs better:

Trek Montare
trek.jpg

A lockable suspension might be nice to have. I'd be losing the internal gear hub, though.

TheExodu5 said:
Thanks for the suggestions.

Looking at a few other hybrids now. Maybe something like this might fit my needs better:

Trek Montare

A lockable suspension might be nice to have. I'd be losing the internal gear hub, though.

I always liked that series of bikes, super robust and capable of alot of different things. :)

Top Bottom