• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bicycle age

agentxricky

Neo Member
Flo said:
Pretty easy, you can just swap the back wheel, its actually quite cheap, got mine for ~26 euros. The gear depends on the crank and that thing on the back, which I can't find the word for :p

Cog teeth.

Jill Sandwich

the turds of Optimus Prime
edit: my mistake.

The fashion for fixies is grinding my gears (lol) for some reason. Some of them are real pretty, but just so impractical!
He says with an Apple avatar

First I was researching internally geared commuting bikes, now I'm on to cyclo-cross bikes with steel frames. Has anyone ridden something similar to this?

http://www.surlybikes.com/bikes/cross_check_complete/

BK6056.jpg

sasimirobot

The thing I like the most about my bike, not fixed, but single gear with the option; is that it is so light and non rattlelly (sorry I know its not a word). It just feels solid and light whenever I pick it up, I live on the 7th floor with no elavator so...

Also I can't imagine being worried about bouncing off the pedals around a tight curb, or "practicing" how hard I can force the front brake without crashing in China, fuck the hospitals and traffic here...

I think if I was 10 years younger and wanted to save the 10oz of back tire brake weight for nedry reasons I might consider going fixed. For now I like to coast and have even installed a front light.

Old man...

Just completed my trip from Hamilton, On to Vancouver, BC in 42 days of riding. Went through 2 rear tires, and one rear wheel. 4,500 km plus all the city riding on the way. Stayed in my tent almost every night. Touring on a bike is the way to go.

sasimirobot said:
The thing I like the most about my bike, not fixed, but single gear with the option; is that it is so light and non rattlelly (sorry I know its not a word). It just feels solid and light whenever I pick it up, I live on the 7th floor with no elavator so...

Also I can't imagine being worried about bouncing off the pedals around a tight curb, or "practicing" how hard I can force the front brake without crashing in China, fuck the hospitals and traffic here...

I think if I was 10 years younger and wanted to save the 10oz of back tire brake weight for nedry reasons I might consider going fixed. For now I like to coast and have even installed a front light.

Old man...

I'd like to ride a fixie for old times sake, but doubt I would ever own one.

i would pay $300 a tire, if they sold flat-free tires.

I commute 4 days a week and it sucks to get a flat, 4 miles from home, happens too
frequently

I do carry a spare tube, but no air, I rely on gas stations.

Jobiensis

djtortilla said:

I commute 4 days a week and it sucks to get a flat, 4 miles from home, happens too
frequently

I do carry a spare tube, but no air, I rely on gas stations.

Get a CO2 cartridge filler.

I usually carry two spare tubes, a patch kit, CO2 cartridge and a pump.

Ethics Gradient said:
First I was researching internally geared commuting bikes, now I'm on to cyclo-cross bikes with steel frames. Has anyone ridden something similar to this?

That Surly is a great bike. No hesitation whatsoever in recommending it. It's sturdy, a reputable brand, flexible (you can fit all kinds of tires on there), suitable for cross/touring/club rides, etc. Steel frames are practically indestructible so it'll last you a long time.

The only thing is that it may be a bit heavy (when compared to aluminum or carbon frames). However, the importance of weight is often exaggerated--so this is no biggie.

Figure this is a good place to ask:

So recently been trying to shed a few pounds, and was running but do to the ankle and feet issues I have it became way to hard on them so I gave up on it. Decided to start riding my bike around our town, so far been pretty good. I'm using a Royce Union Mt. Olympus (is this even a good bike?) I got it maybe 8 or so years ago and its just been in the garage gathering dust. I also believe it's a 24 speed. Is this the correct bike for just riding around town or would I be better off investing in a different bike more suited for my needs?

Never heard of Royce Union, but if the bike works for you, keep ridin it. If it doesn't work too well, give it a tune-up. Tighten brake lines, lube the chain, check tires for wear, get new ones if needed, etc. This need not cost anything.

If you want to ride more or faster, get a new bike. What you should NOT do is upgrade crappy bikes with new parts. I often see people spending $$ trying to upgrade el cheapo bikes with expensive parts. This is a bad idea because you end up spending way too much and the end product will still be crappy. Just save up some dough and buy a complete bike.

DemiMatt said:
Fixie Gaf? WHere you at?

So I am debating on biking to work, I currently have an old mountain bike, but the thing is just ridiculously heavy. I remember riding it on a flat road it was trudging along. It weight well over 40 pounds (its from the 90s).

My current commute would be 3 miles each away, over a fairly flat or low grade surface.

I am currently wondering what is the point of a fixie? I am looking at sole bicyles

product_img_205_633x950.jpg

I like how the bike is super light weight and they are ridiculously cheap (also My friend knows the owner so I feel I can get one for much cheaper). Based on my commute and lack of hills, and would like to ride it by the beach (la area). Is this a viable choice? WHy buy a fixie vs a road bike, or cruiser, or whatever.

Please educate me gaf!

To be honest dude, I tried for about 2 months to order a bike from sole. A friend that is super big into biking told me the parts aren't too great, but i didnt care. I wanted a semi good bike and also looks cool. So I ordered anyways, and they took my order, and my money yet not having the bike in stock. Went back and forth with the owner for a few weeks, him telling me more could be coming very soon, so I tried to wait. Never came, so I finally just told him i want my money back. I then went to bikesdirect.com. Picked out a bike, wasnt that stylish but oh well, and I got it in just a few days. Maybe sole's service might be better now?

perryfarrell said:
Never heard of Royce Union, but if the bike works for you, keep ridin it. If it doesn't work too well, give it a tune-up. Tighten brake lines, lube the chain, check tires for wear, get new ones if needed, etc. This need not cost anything.

If you want to ride more or faster, get a new bike. What you should NOT do is upgrade crappy bikes with new parts. I often see people spending $$ trying to upgrade el cheapo bikes with expensive parts. This is a bad idea because you end up spending way too much and the end product will still be crappy. Just save up some dough and buy a complete bike.

Yeah I need to take it to a bike shop because it's slipping gears and making some strange clicking noise. I tried fixing it myself with no luck, I dont think a quick tune up on it costs too much.

robox

djtortilla said:

frequently

i was buying tires earlier today and was waffling a bit over which to get. i've never really had any problems with flats in the 3+ years of commuting while the internet makes it seem like it's an inevitable occurance. but in the end, after reading a bunch of reviews and experiences, i spent a few bucks more for the peace of mind. fashion had to be sacrificed though.

Flek

Banned
europe gaf . where the hell can i get a single-speed for a reasonable price? I already have a freaking nice (expensive and heavy) mountain bike but i want a stylish, cheap and lightweight single speed for driving around in the city. Any ideas? The sole bikes look awesome!

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah I primarily ride a fixed, its all hippie and you become part of the bike and shit. Its pretty much just as good as sex, except you wear a helmet and can get hit by a car.

Its also just the easiest way to ride a bike if you commute through a flat city every day, there is that.

Jtwo said:
Yeah I primarily ride a fixed, its all hippie and you become part of the bike and shit. Its pretty much just as good as sex, except you wear a helmet and can get hit by a car.

Its also just the easiest way to ride a bike if you commute through a flat city every day, there is that.
The easiest way would still be with a bike with a brake.

Flek said:
europe gaf . where the hell can i get a single-speed for a reasonable price? I already have a freaking nice (expensive and heavy) mountain bike but i want a stylish, cheap and lightweight single speed for driving around in the city. Any ideas? The sole bikes look awesome!

If you know a junky and have 15 euros...

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
PjotrStroganov said:
The easiest way would still be with a bike with a brake.
Yeah.. and who is riding fixed without a brake?
idiots, thats who.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Well, I can only speak for myself and my friends. But I've honestly never seen someone ride around through downtown traffic on a fixie without a break. Not once. Biking isn't very popular in my city though, fixes even less so. So I'm not saying it doesn't happen, it's just CRAZY. Who would do that?

I don't have a rear brake. Which you really don't need. But I LIVE and DIE by my front brake.
I have a 13teeth cog in the back and 44teeth on my chainring. It's not the gnarliest ratio, but I sure as shit can't stop very fast by back peddling. I can regulate speed, but that's about it.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I haven't had a flat tire in 7 months. I gotta be due.

Ethics Gradient said:

http://www.surlybikes.com/bikes/cross_check_complete/

BK6056.jpg

I am a huge fan of Surly's and own three. I run a small bicycle shop, and sell absurdly expensive carbon bikes, but for my money nothing beats a good steel frame.

I like the Crosscheck, but also take a look at the Long Haul Trucker. It has a longer wheel base, which makes carrying bags on the back alot easier, and a slightly higher hand position, which will increase the comfort of the ride.

First thing to do when you get your new commuter bike: get properly fitted, then buy a rear cargo rack and some nice SKS fenders. :)

outunderthestars said:
I am a huge fan of Surly's and own three. I run a small bicycle shop, and sell absurdly expensive carbon bikes, but for my money nothing beats a good steel frame.

I like the Crosscheck, but also take a look at the Long Haul Trucker. It has a longer wheel base, which makes carrying bags on the back alot easier, and a slightly higher hand position, which will increase the comfort of the ride.

First thing to do when you get your new commuter bike: get properly fitted, then buy a rear cargo rack and some nice SKS fenders. :)

I didn't see this, but ended up putting an order in for a cross-check in 58cm. I'm pretty stoked! One of the bike shop mechanics was thrilled to see someone ordering a Surly, they have a cult following or something. :)

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Jtwo said:
Well, I can only speak for myself and my friends. But I've honestly never seen someone ride around through downtown traffic on a fixie without a break. Not once. Biking isn't very popular in my city though, fixes even less so. So I'm not saying it doesn't happen, it's just CRAZY. Who would do that?

I don't have a rear brake. Which you really don't need. But I LIVE and DIE by my front brake.
I have a 13teeth cog in the back and 44teeth on my chainring. It's not the gnarliest ratio, but I sure as shit can't stop very fast by back peddling. I can regulate speed, but that's about it.
Seattle, San Fran and NYC are Fixie central. Many with a simple rear brake, many without. In downtown, Fixies and stripped bikes in general, are the rule, not the exception. It's like giant sunglasses - a trendy fad that has just stayed put.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah the closest to any major city I've lived in was a brief stint in a shitty Berkeley apt straight out of highschool.

Ethics Gradient said:
I didn't see this, but ended up putting an order in for a cross-check in 58cm. I'm pretty stoked! One of the bike shop mechanics was thrilled to see someone ordering a Surly, they have a cult following or something. :)

No worries. Surly's are awesome bikes that next to no shops stock. :(

Tell them NOT to cut the steer tube on the fork. Let them know you'll be commuting on it, so they set the hand position high.

Also, fenders fenders fenders fenders fenders fenders fenders fenders

You want fenders. :)

Sethos

Banned
Well, as part of my new healthy lifestyle I decided to ditch the bus and get a proper bike instead. Wanted something I could take to the woods now and again to do some off-roading. Was looking for a 29" MTB in Denmark but they are hard to find, so I decided to order one from Germany

http://www.bike-discount.de/shop/k1275/a48170/tna-1-2-29-deore-slx-rock-shox-recon.html?lg=en

I'm told 29'ers are great for tall people as well. Should be arriving end of this week, start of next.

High five!

gkryhewy

We're in the market for a folding bike for my wife. It will be her primary bike. We're looking at Bromptons and Dahons (test rode the Dahon Curve yesterday and liked it).

Any experiences with folding bikes? Is the Brompton worth the extra coin?

gkryhewy said:
We're in the market for a folding bike for my wife. It will be her primary bike. We're looking at Bromptons and Dahons (test rode the Dahon Curve yesterday and liked it).

Any experiences with folding bikes? Is the Brompton worth the extra coin?

I've sold both, and the way I describe them to people is this:

if you're going to lightly use it buy the Dahon
if you're going to use it as a primary bicycle, spring for the Brompton.

I have never had a single person say a single negative thing about a Brompton. :)

Sethos said:
Well, as part of my new healthy lifestyle I decided to ditch the bus and get a proper bike instead. Wanted something I could take to the woods now and again to do some off-roading. Was looking for a 29" MTB in Denmark but they are hard to find, so I decided to order one from Germany

http://www.bike-discount.de/shop/k1275/a48170/tna-1-2-29-deore-slx-rock-shox-recon.html?lg=en

I'm told 29'ers are great for tall people as well. Should be arriving end of this week, start of next.

High five!

That is a really well spec'ed out bike. You'er going to love riding 29'ers

gkryhewy

outunderthestars said:
I've sold both, and the way I describe them to people is this:

if you're going to lightly use it buy the Dahon
if you're going to use it as a primary bicycle, spring for the Brompton.

I have never had a single person say a single negative thing about a Brompton. :)

Thanks -- that's actually what the guy at the bike shop said as well. My only hesitation with the Brompton (well, and the price) is its ability to handle any type of off-road riding. We don't do much unpaved riding at all, but I would like to make sure she can tag along for the occasional ride along Forbidden Drive (Philadelphia locals will know what this is).

It's pretty well surfaced for the most part with firm gravel/dirt. Hard to find a decent photo online:

3224670272_850b530620.jpg

I think it'd probably be okay..

OuterWorldVoice said:
Seattle, San Fran and NYC are Fixie central. Many with a simple rear brake, many without. In downtown, Fixies and stripped bikes in general, are the rule, not the exception. It's like giant sunglasses - a trendy fad that has just stayed put.
wait what? I don't think I've ever seen a fixie with just a rear brake. usually it's front brake or nothing. and the university I'm at has a good fixed gear population.

I've ridden around my city without a brake on my bike, only because I didn't have one at the time, and it was the scariest shit of my life. Going downhill, having to speed up to get around a cop car who had pulled someone over into the bike lane, and then trying to stop at the red light. It was not fun, and I'm glad I got a brake on it now.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
thezerofire said:
wait what? I don't think I've ever seen a fixie with just a rear brake. usually it's front brake or nothing. and the university I'm at has a good fixed gear population.

I've ridden around my city without a brake on my bike, only because I didn't have one at the time, and it was the scariest shit of my life. Going downhill, having to speed up to get around a cop car who had pulled someone over into the bike lane, and then trying to stop at the red light. It was not fun, and I'm glad I got a brake on it now.

I have actually seen both, but I mistyped.

Fuck, I just bought a bike off craigslist for a real good deal and it came with an aerospoke!

Thing is...it requires an allen key but that shit won't come off...it doesn't look stripped but I HOPE I didn't make it worse. :(

Anyone know what kind of allen key size you need for an aerospoke?

Top Bottom