• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bicycle age

robox

the rag technique sounds like it might do the trick. also sounds pretty laborious to get it squeaky clean.

i'd been looking up how-to's that say the proper way is to remove all the components and give them a degreaser bath, and that process requires some pretty specialized bike tools.
on the other hand, the tools might come in handy when/if i ever feel like building my own bike...

Any suggestions for fixes?
Im looking into getting one for riding around in the summer.
Ive rode bmx for nine years odd so im used to single speed and recon I could probably do a conversion as used to work in a lbs and have rebuilt my bike 30 or 40 times atleast.

Did spot this
http://www.gumtree.com/p/for-sale/peugeot-single-speed-racer-700c-racing-bike-fixie-vintage/78855853
Its not a fixie but single speed is fine and for £100 it might be worth a punt?
belafonte-2T.jpg

Man if they had stuff like this in the UK id be all over it :(

Colleague of mine bought this transport bike in matte black

I love the retro look of these bikes of late. He agreed with me that the chain cover looked a bit too modern. I was really tempted to go for something similar.

Love this one.
Sparta%20Styler-Black-Satin-HEREN-H-L2.jpg

^love those bikes. I imported one that looks like one of those, a real omafiet from the Netherlands. I also have creme tires one mines. I think I posted it somewhere in this thread but heres a recent blurry celphone cam.

69396_169519206392027_100000018463938_611853_134767_n.jpg

They use laminated canvas fabric as the chainguard and it doesnt look plasticky.

titiklabingapat said:
^love those bikes. I imported one that looks like one of those, a real omafiet from the Netherlands. I also have creme tires one mines. I think I posted it somewhere in this thread but heres a recent blurry celphone cam.

http://a2.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/69396_169519206392027_100000018463938_611853_134767_n.jpg[IMG]

They use laminated canvas fabric as the chainguard and it doesnt look plasticky.[/QUOTE]

Wow, one with all the bells and whistles! We usually don't see them that luxurious over here.
[IMG]http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2438/3929566339_22c5bf36b8_b.jpg

Since I was young these bike have been popular with the school youths. Build like a tank and it's considered a 'cool' and thrashable bike.

Hairtux

Konas are excellent. I know a few people who ride Units and Big Units. I've been riding a King Kikapu (26) for a long time, and I have a Dew Deluxe for commuting. But I only have these because my favorite LBS is a big Kona seller and these particular bikes just felt good when I test rode them. Have you already ridden a Kona 29er?

kaskade

Well bike-gaf, I got my wingra. Rode to work all week. Next I'm going to get one of those saddle bags to fit a spare tube, and whatever else. Then once it starts getting hot, a rack with a trunkbag(right now I'm using a backpack).
rZC0O.jpg

GuessWho

This my be a really dumb question but how do you guys ride your bike to work? If I would do that I would get there all sweaty and have to change clothes, and most likely take a shower. You guys get dressed up at work?

kaskade

GuessWho said:
This my be a really dumb question but how do you guys ride your bike to work? If I would do that I would get there all sweaty and have to change clothes, and most likely take a shower. You guys get dressed up at work?
I bring a change of clothes with me. It hasn't been too hot yet so nothing too bad.

GuessWho said:

Uhm I'm a carpenter so, I guess I don't really care about it, either way, I have spare shirts if needed at my work place. I can understand it could be an issue if I was working at an office place.

As for the Kona, thanks for the reply, never rode a 29er actually. I have a 26" hardtail MTB right now, generic brand, it will actually be my first "serious" bike.

I was looking at their commuter as well, the Dew Plus looks sexy.

purg3

slept with Malkin
GuessWho said:

I wish I lived a bit closer to my work, and that it was a bit more bike friendly route. Otherwise I would be riding to work for the summer. Screw these gas prices. Our office also building has an in house gym/showers which would be perfect.

cbox

Looking for a iphone4 mount for my road bike, anyone have one??

I have a giant defy 2 if that matters, so there really isn't a whole lot of space to put it :/

robox

off bike chain and cassette cleaning is messy as hell. but not hard at all. just had to have the tools to take things apart.

GuessWho said:

i'm fortunate that i don't have strict attire rules at work, but i still bring a change of shirts for comfort and for consideration of others. don't have showers at work, so i just wipe myself down before going in.

Hairtux

GuessWho said:

You need Wet Ones: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0045XDGZ4/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I always have a pack of those to wipe down the sweaty bits. My office doesn't have a shower, so I ride in shorts and a t-shirt and I have good clothes and shoes in the office. I drive or bus in now and then to exchange the clothes.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
chaoticprout said:
Going to be working in Seattle and wanting to buy a bike for transportation. Any good recommendations for a first bike?

Where in Seattle are you going to live, and where are you going to work? Your A to B as it were. This will make a difference.

OuterWorldVoice said:
Where in Seattle are you going to live, and where are you going to work? Your A to B as it were. This will make a difference.

Working in Redmond, work is going to be fairly close to where I stay.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
GuessWho said:
Don't ride like the devil is chasing you? I mean you can enjoy the ride to work and not try and rush it.

How far would your commute be and would there be steep climbs?

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
chaoticprout said:
Working in Redmond, work is going to be fairly close to where I stay.

Redmond is fairly flat, with some rolling hills and one steep-ass hill that follows much of the 520, and there are lots of bike paths - and the Redmond River Trail is awesome - it eventually links to the Burke Gilman trail for an epic 50 mile ride into Seattle. You'll do fine with a road bike or a hybrid. There is no easy bike route from Redmond to Seattle without a bus. Bellevue, you can take the i90 bridge.

There are some nice hill routes around there too and decent mountain biking, so you could consider a mountain bike while you're at it.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Holy Crap. People who drive cars can be totally dicks.
So I'm in a lane at a stop light, waiting to go straight. Taking a tip I learned from this thread I'm not hugging the curb, I'm a good few feet out, making it impossible for a vehicle to invade my space. So I'm kinda just chillin' thinking about life and all of a sudden some vehicle nudges up into my space! I couldn't believe it, I was genuinely shocked! I do what I pretty much have to and scoot over so this guy won't clip me when he speeds off.

But he rolls down the window, at this point I'm thinking "oh cool, he realized he made a mistake and is gonna say 'sorry man, I spaced. just cruise in front of me at the green.'"

But no, it's some old guy maybe in his 50s and he's like

"get off the road you stupid fucking kid!"

In shock I reply "I'M A VEHICLE TOO, SIR"

"NO YOU'RE NOT YOU'RE GOING TO GET RUN OVER YOU STUPID KID!"

"Actually by the letter of the law I'm considered a vehicle too!"

At this point he just rolls up his window and flips me off. And as a final fuck you the second the light turns green. Oh man, such a horrible interaction. It really shook me up, I have a very large fear of cars, which is why I don't drive to begin with. And it totally just showed me that people really do just operate on completely different planes of existence and without attempting to understand how you fit into the overall picture and influence and affect other's realities you can totally just end up fucking killing some kid because you think you're more entitled to the road than they are. Self important assholes, man. I was almost in tears by the time I arrived home. But now I have a warm cup of coffee and my cat is near me and the rain is pitter pattering on the roof.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Ok, well not all people in cars but some people in cars.

Too be fair he said you're gonna get hit! Which is true, but I could also die in a car accident too if I drove. So, whatever. If he really was just concerned about my personal safety he sure went about it wrong.

DUDE what the fucking fuck? Before the slowmo I didnt even notice the guy on the hood. What is that guy thinking? How does that help anybody?

Jobiensis

GuessWho said:

I take a shower at work, but my commute is fairly long (usually 25 miles each way).

JTwo said:

You kind of get used to it after a while, the older folks with the 'you shouldn't be on the road' are useless to argue with. Be careful though, people have no problems using their cars as weapons.

xxracerxx said:
Cyclists can be dicks also

I saw a guy riding this Saturday that didn't stop at one stop sign or traffic light. A truck that had the right of way honked when he flew out in the intersection, and this cyclist had the gall to stop and start yelling at the driver. I really hate cyclists like that.

xxracerxx

Jobiensis said:
I saw a guy riding this Saturday that didn't stop at one stop sign or traffic light. A truck that had the right of way honked when he flew out in the intersection, and this cyclist had the gall to stop and start yelling at the driver. I really hate cyclists like that.
Exactly. I fucking yell at cyclists like that when I am riding my bike.

sasimirobot

trek2.jpg

I tried to track down the Trek District in China but they have been discontinued for sale here since last year and the going price was 1,500$US. Any similar bikes (single gear not fixed) I should look into?

Alright, GAF I need help, I've been wanting to get a road bike for a while and now I've decided that it is time to get one. The problem is I have no idea where to start. Any suggestions on what I should look at or do?

itwasTuesday

He wasn't alone.
littleworm said:
Alright, GAF I need help, I've been wanting to get a road bike for a while and now I've decided that it is time to get one. The problem is I have no idea where to start. Any suggestions on what I should look at or do?
Prince range?
How do you plan to ride this? eg commuter, weekend.
Will you be riding more level roads, or very hilly? Or if you know what gearing you would prefer?

2Crisis

Holy Crap Johnlenham,

Just checked out State Bicycle Co. after you linked that picture, turns out their HQ is in the city I live in. Wow, I'll have to check this out

itwasTuesday said:
Prince range?
How do you plan to ride this? eg commuter, weekend.
Will you be riding more level roads, or very hilly? Or if you know what gearing you would prefer?
I willing to spend up to about 2500 on the bike, I plan to ride it for practice and exercise, I have a hybrid bike now, and I can ride it fairly well, but I want to get a bike that will allow me to become a even better biker. As far as where I riding, when I'm at school its completely flat, and when I'm home for summer, there are only small hills.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I've recently been absorbing this tumblelog.
http://charikichi.tumblr.com/

It might seem kind of silly, but I'm still figuring out ultimately what my sense of aesthetic for bikes is. I have yet to really customize my bike, so it is great to look at thousands of different bikes. Also, I really like girls and looking at cute fit girls dressed in cute outfits is a very appealing form of entertainment. It's educational and spiritually fulfilling. I want a random girl to look at a picture of me riding my bike someday and think "wow, i would really like to get to know him." Which is what I think when I look at many of these pictures.

itwasTuesday

He wasn't alone.
littleworm said:
I willing to spend up to about 2500 on the bike, I plan to ride it for practice and exercise, I have a hybrid bike now, and I can ride it fairly well, but I want to get a bike that will allow me to become a even better biker. As far as where I riding, when I'm at school its completely flat, and when I'm home for summer, there are only small hills.
If what you mean by hybrid is cyclocross then forget what I'm about to say.
Can I suggest a cyclocross bike?
I have a full carbon road bike, and a steel cyclocross. I ride my cross 10 times more than the road bike. The geometry is close to a road bike but it is beefier and I am not afraid to take it off road or single tracks. You can put skinny tires on it and keep up fine with yout avg roadies, then throw some fatter tires on and go on the trails.

xxracerxx

littleworm said:
I do not understand this statement. Do you mean you feel somewhat physically able to ride the bike you have now and just want to get a really expensive road bike to work on building up to long distance rides and build up muscle tone and the like?

sasimirobot

BIKEALUAO61GRAY2888.jpg

found a good bike shop in Beijing and I am gonna bite at this one. Changing it to a flat bar handle and free wheel, traffic is too 3rd world here for a fixed gear I think...

Will come to 460$US so not too bad I hope.

adam.chance

Neo Member
I posted a bit ago about whether it would be best for me to invest in a great bike or just start out with something simple. I think I am leaning toward something in the middle. I am looking to spend $400 as my absolute max (for now, when I get back from japan after this spring I may invest a lot more depending on where I end up). I will be riding to and from school and work, which is all street with one hill. I will be riding 4-5 times a week about two miles each way.

I have access to bike shops in my area. Thanks for the help.

Honestly you do not need to spend that much on a bike. The best thing that you can possibly do is go to a well known bike shop that offers fittings and see what they suggest. If you want to start to spend more then 1200 on a bike you can even purchase lower end specialty frames that are closest to your custom fit or even custom fitted for you from the manufacturer.

Also after being fitted don't be afraid to look around and possibly see who imports frames from Italy. Italian bike makers are notorious for selling frames that are almost identical to their main selling high priced designs at a much more reasonable price. They turn around and export these frames to cycle shops around the world, all you have to do is find a shop that does this and perhaps go that route. Like a Torelli.

Do not, do not, DO NOT skimp on a helmet. My dad has been a cyclist for just over 25 years and was hit by a car. After being in the ICU for almost a month and the hospital for another two followed by almost six additional months of not walking he is finally able to get around. He broke/shattered so many damn bones that after the first two operations the Dr's honestly didn't think he would heal correctly. The only thing that saved him was the helmet.

I posted a bit ago about whether it would be best for me to invest in a great bike or just start out with something simple. I think I am leaning toward something in the middle. I am looking to spend $400 as my absolute max (for now, when I get back from japan after this spring I may invest a lot more depending on where I end up). I will be riding to and from school and work, which is all street with one hill. I will be riding 4-5 times a week about two miles each way.

I have access to bike shops in my area. Thanks for the help.

Specialized has a bike that they made to bring back the retro road feel. Its an amazing bike and you can find models from last year for at least $100 off the sticker.

It is the Specialized Allez. A lot of people will knock steel bikes because of the weight but honestly the difference is not a deal breaker as you are looking for a dependable long lasting great starter bike and not a semi pro race bike.

Flying Toaster said:
Honestly you do not need to spend that much on a bike. The best thing that you can possibly do is go to a well known bike shop that offers fittings and see what they suggest. If you want to start to spend more then 1200 on a bike you can even purchase lower end specialty frames that are closest to your custom fit or even custom fitted for you from the manufacturer.

Also after being fitted don't be afraid to look around and possibly see who imports frames from Italy. Italian bike makers are notorious for selling frames that are almost identical to their main selling high priced designs at a much more reasonable price. They turn around and export these frames to cycle shops around the world, all you have to do is find a shop that does this and perhaps go that route. Like a Torelli.

Do not, do not, DO NOT skimp on a helmet. My dad has been a cyclist for just over 25 years and was hit by a car. After being in the ICU for almost a month and the hospital for another two followed by almost six additional months of not walking he is finally able to get around. He broke/shattered so many damn bones that after the first two operations the Dr's honestly didn't think he would heal correctly. The only thing that saved him was the helmet.
Trust me, I've seen first hand and experienced what helmet can do, and would never consider riding anywhere without one, getting hit once by a car, and witnessing someone run into a moving truck first hand is enough.

adam.chance

Neo Member
Flying Toaster said:
Specialized has a bike that they made to bring back the retro road feel. Its an amazing bike and you can find models from last year for at least $100 off the sticker.

It is the Specialized Allez. A lot of people will knock steel bikes because of the weight but honestly the difference is not a deal breaker as you are looking for a dependable long lasting great starter bike and not a semi pro race bike.

I'll look around at those. However, they seem like they might be a bit out of my price range. I am in the USA. I probably should have mentioned that, too.

I'll look around at those. However, they seem like they might be a bit out of my price range. I am in the USA. I probably should have mentioned that, too.

Like I said if you get a model that is at least a year old the shop will want it gone. Bike shops will discount product, over what is on the actual price tag if it is not current. Just go into a shop tell them what your working with and what you can budget for and see what they have to say. Many bike shops will go out of their way to help set you up make sure your happy and have the right equipment for your budget and needs even lowering to a price point you cannot go above just to gain a loyal customer.

Cycling is a sport/hobby that is extremely community based. Bike shops know that they rely on said community and will jump at the chance to introduce people into the world of cycling no matter how serious or laid back your interests are.

Hairtux

Jtwo said:
Holy Crap. People who drive cars can be totally dicks.
So I'm in a lane at a stop light, waiting to go straight. Taking a tip I learned from this thread I'm not hugging the curb, I'm a good few feet out, making it impossible for a vehicle to invade my space. So I'm kinda just chillin' thinking about life and all of a sudden some vehicle nudges up into my space! I couldn't believe it, I was genuinely shocked! I do what I pretty much have to and scoot over so this guy won't clip me when he speeds off.

But he rolls down the window, at this point I'm thinking "oh cool, he realized he made a mistake and is gonna say 'sorry man, I spaced. just cruise in front of me at the green.'"

But no, it's some old guy maybe in his 50s and he's like

"get off the road you stupid fucking kid!"

In shock I reply "I'M A VEHICLE TOO, SIR"

"NO YOU'RE NOT YOU'RE GOING TO GET RUN OVER YOU STUPID KID!"

"Actually by the letter of the law I'm considered a vehicle too!"

At this point he just rolls up his window and flips me off. And as a final fuck you the second the light turns green. Oh man, such a horrible interaction. It really shook me up, I have a very large fear of cars, which is why I don't drive to begin with. And it totally just showed me that people really do just operate on completely different planes of existence and without attempting to understand how you fit into the overall picture and influence and affect other's realities you can totally just end up fucking killing some kid because you think you're more entitled to the road than they are. Self important assholes, man. I was almost in tears by the time I arrived home. But now I have a warm cup of coffee and my cat is near me and the rain is pitter pattering on the roof.

That happens quite often because some drivers are just stupid and think you should ride on the sidewalk...which is also stupid and dangerous.

I have a couple rules I follow for where I stop when at a light. If there are two lanes for each direction, I hang out somewhere in the right third of the right lane. This keeps any cars in my lane behind me so I get a clean and safe start when the light turns green, and it allows cars room to turn right, assuming there's curb space for it. Never stop in a right-turn lane if you intend to go straight. it may seem safer to you but people will be pissed off for sure.

If it's just one lane and you're coming to a light, get to the middle of the lane if you can do so safely. When the light is green get your ass going and ease over to the curb so cars can pass.

I feel like people on bikes need to be quick about this shit though. If you're someone with earphones in, no helmet on your skull, and you're slowly riding down the middle of the lane like there aren't any cars for miles, you deserve to be told to fuck off. I see this every now and then in Milwaukee and it explains why some drivers hate cyclists.

So I'm about to jump into biking again. Had a specialized one back in high school, but am probably going to get a Trek hybrid, either the 7100 or 7300 within the next month. I live in Chicago, so I hope to be able to ride along the lake for leisure and fun at first, then maybe eventually make the commute to work (about 8 miles or so.)

As a driver, I'm mixed about a lot of cyclists. The ones that obey the rules of the road I'm fine with. The ones that don't stop at lights, weave in and out of lanes and basically treat every car with a game of passive-aggressive chicken, I can't stand.

BTW, speaking of accidents and such, here's an article from CNN about a couple I went to med school with. There's a lot of other stuff that happened and CNN plays it up like a Lifetime movie, but it's still a fucked up story. Moral is... do what you can to be safe... always wear a helmet.

Top Bottom