• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bicycle age

_Bro

Banned
The seat post is probably low because she feels more comfortable riding like you're used to as a child, knees up. It looks goofy and will mess with her knees. After a couple long rides she'll probably want to raise the stem and get into comfort zone.

Not a big deal.

Moofers said:
Well, all I can say is that I had a fixed gear bike 15 years ago, but called it a track bike because I actually raced it on a velodrome.

Sounds fun. I've always been wanting to try some races at the track. However I'm more of a climber, so I usually do roadraces (no crits for me either). Do they have cat 1-5 at the track like they do on the road?

Well, this will certainly be a good thread to ask this in. I currently live within 2 minutes of a bike trail, and am very interested in getting a bike. Its been kinda rainy, but Ive started dieting a month ago but havent been able to go outside much. With spring time rolling around, Id really like to get a bike to ride every day on the bike trail. My question is what is a good quality bike that could hold up to everyday use from a substantially sized man (6'1, 300 lbs.), be comfortable to ride, and not break the bank?

TheApatheticOne said:
Well, this will certainly be a good thread to ask this in. I currently live within 2 minutes of a bike trail, and am very interested in getting a bike. Its been kinda rainy, but Ive started dieting a month ago but havent been able to go outside much. With spring time rolling around, Id really like to get a bike to ride every day on the bike trail. My question is what is a good quality bike that could hold up to everyday use from a substantially sized man (6'1, 300 lbs.), be comfortable to ride, and not break the bank?

Go visit your local bike dealer. Something like a Trek FX would not be a bad buy.

Dyno

tariq said:
as for biking on the road tips...

stay near the curb
dont swerve back into the lane
slow down when going between a car and the curb
dont go between cars
watch out for sewers, tram/streetcar tracks
get a bell, it'll come in handy when passing and tellin people to move

basically common sense, and dont do what the crazy bicyclists do

I wouldn't agree to this style of riding. There is a much better way. Most traffic laws (such as the Highway Traffic Act in Canada) consider bikes to be vehicles and they therefore may enjoy all the rights and responsibilites of the roadway. That means you can take the lane on streets where the speed is comfortable for you.

Staying close to the curb is dangerous because you can get pinched or catch a door-prize. You are also out of the motorists centre-vision. Where possible I take the middle of the lane and move with the flow off traffic. I'm front and centre to the motorist behind me and the car in front of me can see me in their rear-view mirror. I keep eye contact occasional eye contact with the motorists around me and they afford me space. So long as you ride with confidence and obey the rules of the road, riding in traffic is great.

I do agree with having a bell or horn, however.

tariq

Neo Member
Galactic Quail said:
Guys, it's a single speed freewheel, NOT a fixie.
It wouldn't make any sense to have a coasting bike have a front brake only...

Fixed or free wheel is irrelevant. When installing a single brake on a bicycle, it should be on the front for reasons already mentioned.

Dyno said:
I wouldn't agree to this style of riding. There is a much better way.

Good point. Personally though, I'll rarely use that style because of the speed factor. Only exception is when turning left, I'll take up the lane. Come to think about it, its not that common from what I've seen in downtown Toronto.

daffy

Banned
Hello, does anyone here bike exclusively? As in you don't drive around town at all? Or maybe you bike drastically more than you drive?

Also, I was wondering, what is a good starter bike at a reasonable price for use in a not too big but not too small college town? I just really need advice on beginner biking...

How do you deal with sweat/body odor after a ride?

How much money should a starter spend on a new bike?

What are the best ways to bike safely and also prevent theft?

Thanks if you guys can help me out here... :D

_Bro

Banned
Starter bike for what? If you're commuting then it doesn't matter and racing is a lot to talk about.

Comfort and style are important in the decision process that shit matters. Best bet would be to go to a local bike store and tell them exactly what you plan to do.

daffy

Banned
_Bro said:
Starter bike for what? If you're commuting then it doesn't matter and racing is a lot to talk about.

Comfort and style are important in the decision process that shit matters. Best bet would be to go to a local bike store and tell them exactly what you plan to do.
Well just starter in terms of I don't bike regularly nowadays and I planned on starting back up. I guess I will just go to a local shop as you advised :D

The for what part would be riding around campus.

_Bro

Banned
Okay, riding around campus means different things to me than other people.

Yeah, you're definitely looking at a commuter. If you live in an area with some trails nearby it wouldn't be a bad idea to mention that while at the store. They'll probably point out some tires that can take a little bit more beating. Not a bad idea to have for a day when you are feeling adventurous and want to just ride a little bit.

mrkgoo

Here's my bike - it's nothing much, but ok for a beginner getting into it. I didn't want to splash out first off, until I know what I'll be doing most.

e55fd6af0d6bb62d3a977623330c4c0b.png

Antagon

FTH said:
Hello, does anyone here bike exclusively? As in you don't drive around town at all? Or maybe you bike drastically more than you drive?

Also, I was wondering, what is a good starter bike at a reasonable price for use in a not too big but not too small college town? I just really need advice on beginner biking...

How do you deal with sweat/body odor after a ride?

How much money should a starter spend on a new bike?

What are the best ways to bike safely and also prevent theft?

Thanks if you guys can help me out here... :D

Unless you're in a town with a lot of elevation, you should see if you can find a second hand 'dutch' bike. As a dutchie I use a bike pretty much exclusively. Got a 90 euro bike a week back because my old one was stolen and it's fine for short trips (say 10-30 minutes).

With a dutch bike I mean something like this:

gazelle.jpg

Important things about these bikes:

It has a chain case which prevents both the chain and your clothes from getting dirty, cuts back on maintenance a lot

you sit in an upright position which means you won't go fast, but you'll be comfortable and won't sweat because of the slower cycling. Drivers will also be more likely to spot you.

It's got a good luggage rack so friends can hitch a ride if necessary (should easilly handle 200 pounds) or hold a case of beer if you're doing groceries.

Because of the chain guards and fenders you can ride them in your everyday clothes or even a suit, without getting dirty.

Main downside is that they're usually heavy and they got 3 gears max so it's not that practical if you're in an area with lots of hills.

_Bro said:
The seat post is probably low because she feels more comfortable riding like you're used to as a child, knees up. It looks goofy and will mess with her knees. After a couple long rides she'll probably want to raise the stem and get into comfort zone.

Not a big deal.

Good idea. I'll be sure to talk to her about that. Thanks!

To the person who said about the front brake, i'll think about it.

daffy

Banned
Antagon said:
Unless you're in a town with a lot of elevation, you should see if you can find a second hand 'dutch' bike. As a dutchie I use a bike pretty much exclusively. Got a 90 euro bike a week back because my old one was stolen and it's fine for short trips (say 10-30 minutes).

With a dutch bike I mean something like this:

Important things about these bikes:

It has a chain case which prevents both the chain and your clothes from getting dirty, cuts back on maintenance a lot

you sit in an upright position which means you won't go fast, but you'll be comfortable and won't sweat because of the slower cycling. Drivers will also be more likely to spot you.

It's got a good luggage rack so friends can hitch a ride if necessary (should easilly handle 200 pounds) or hold a case of beer if you're doing groceries.

Because of the chain guards and fenders you can ride them in your everyday clothes or even a suit, without getting dirty.

Main downside is that they're usually heavy and they got 3 gears max so it's not that practical if you're in an area with lots of hills.
Ok, thank you! I'll keep a lookout for this.

threenote

Banned
Galactic Quail said:
Good idea. I'll be sure to talk to her about that. Thanks!

To the person who said about the front brake, i'll think about it.
dude, the bike looks awesome. don't change a thing

turnbuckle

I'm looking to get a bike pretty soon. Not much I can contribute to this thread but just wanted to say thanks to everyone providing helpful infos. Got this one bookmarked. Still not sure what to buy, I just need something to supplement my general fitness routine and something fun to do. I'm nervous about riding in the street to get to work, but I guess it's something I just gotta get over (not like I live in a huge city or anything).

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Anybody heard of a Japanese brand called onmi? It's a lot like the fuji bike my friend has, very slim racer, but wondered if the omni brand is known or not.

quick question cycle Gaf! I used to ride a lot of BMX when I was younger and I am looking to get another bike for riding to the store or around the city with the wife. We have some hills but mostly it would be on bike paths.

my question is what kind of bike do I need? a Hybrid?

also I am 5'10 what size frame do I look for?

I have been out of the bike game for probably 12 years.

ch0mp

JetBlackPanda said:
quick question cycle Gaf! I used to ride a lot of BMX when I was younger and I am looking to get another bike for riding to the store or around the city with the wife. We have some hills but mostly it would be on bike paths.

my question is what kind of bike do I need? a Hybrid?

also I am 5'10 what size frame do I look for?

I have been out of the bike game for probably 12 years.

Some kind of hybrid would suit you. There's a lot of different types depending on what you want it for: tyres, suspension, frame, handle bars and gearing all vary. Best option is to head down to you local bike shop and test ride some.

kaskade

I think I'm going to join the biking to work. My drive isn't far it's about 2 miles, there's sort of a slight constant incline for a good portion of the ride. I was thinking of getting a single speed something. I just don't want to get to work too sweaty on hot days.

rkn

I've been looking into getting a mountain bike. I have a 6 year old "comfort" bike at the moment, but it's dusty and hasn't been used in well ~5 years. I recently went to several sports stores and they have all the brands I am familiar with ie. Diamond Back, Schwinn, etc.

I also went to an independent shop and they had recommended the brand they sell called Giant, the model I'm interested in is the Revel 1, which is the mid-range beginner bike.

Anyone have experience with this brand / make? Salesman basically told me it comes down to components and weight, the big box brands use unbranded components and are heavier... fyi it was about $450, anything else in that range?

_Bro

Banned
JetBlackPanda said:
went looking today and found this bike for around $300 thats about the most I want to spend.

http://www.gtbicycles.com/bikes/mountain/endurance/2011-aggressor-3-0-silver-white

any input guys? honestly I just want a bike for riding around town and getting exercise and maybe taking it on some light trails here and there.

any input would be awesome thanks!
Personally, I wouldn't ride that on anything but trails. For price.. you get what you pay for. That's really all there is to say when you're buying things new.

rkn said:
I've been looking into getting a mountain bike. I have a 6 year old "comfort" bike at the moment, but it's dusty and hasn't been used in well ~5 years. I recently went to several sports stores and they have all the brands I am familiar with ie. Diamond Back, Schwinn, etc.

I also went to an independent shop and they had recommended the brand they sell called Giant, the model I'm interested in is the Revel 1, which is the mid-range beginner bike.

Anyone have experience with this brand / make? Salesman basically told me it comes down to components and weight, the big box brands use unbranded components and are heavier... fyi it was about $450, anything else in that range?
Okay.. um, I'll be blunt, Diamond Back and Schwinn are shit brands. Like, that's good stuff from a Walmart.

Check out what Trek and Specialized have for beginner bikes, too. Stop by a local bike store instead of a department store, the salesman, unless I'm misunderstanding, has no idea what he's talking about.

I'm guessing you're looking at this. I don't know a whole lot about mountain bikes but for a beginner one, I'd assume that's pretty good. It's not high class stuff, but for $450 it's whatever. If you're getting started then you don't need awesome stuff. You might, eventually, and by that time you'll know a lot more about what you want.

For now.. check craigslist and talk to your local store. Also, ask to get sized before you buy.

_Bro said:
Personally, I wouldn't ride that on anything but trails. For price.. you get what you pay for. That's really all there is to say when you're buying things

Thanks for being honest, do you have any recomedations for other bikes? I realise that I am not spending a lot of money but is there anything decent out there for that price?

_Bro

Banned
JetBlackPanda said:
Thanks for being honest, do you have any recomedations for other bikes? I realise that I am not spending a lot of money but is there anything decent out there for that price?
Well.. like, I wouldn't want to be seen riding that on anything but trails. You could take it on the road, you're just going to look goofy. Super goofy. Like, what the hell is this guy doing on the road with a mountain bike?

I'm really not the best person to ask about this because I know nothing about mountain bikes and I'm too big of a snob for road cycling to be fair.

Let me check around, but talking to your local bike shop will help. Just tell them what you're looking for and they'll point you in the right direction.

rkn

_Bro said:
Okay.. um, I'll be blunt, Diamond Back and Schwinn are shit brands. Like, that's good stuff from a Walmart.

Check out what Trek and Specialized have for beginner bikes, too. Stop by a local bike store instead of a department store, the salesman, unless I'm misunderstanding, has no idea what he's talking about.

I'm guessing you're looking at this. I don't know a whole lot about mountain bikes but for a beginner one, I'd assume that's pretty good. It's not high class stuff, but for $450 it's whatever. If you're getting started then you don't need awesome stuff. You might, eventually, and by that time you'll know a lot more about what you want.

For now.. check craigslist and talk to your local store. Also, ask to get sized before you buy.

Yeah actually it was the local store sales guy that told me the "house" brands at those stores aren't great deals (ie because the components and weight), I was just wondering if this Giant bike, thats the correct one btw, was a decent buy.

_Bro

Banned
I'd say that it's good for what you want to do. If you really want to do more mountain biking in your future and take it really seriously, you can always move up to a better bike. That bike will be a good, cheap way to introduce yourself to the off road life.

threenote said:
dude, the bike looks awesome. don't change a thing

Haven't changed a thing, bro. She loves it. I love riding with her. All is well.

@ Soultron - Interested. They ship to the US? My friend would LOVE those straps.

Laekon

rkn said:
Yeah actually it was the local store sales guy that told me the "house" brands at those stores aren't great deals (ie because the components and weight), I was just wondering if this Giant bike, thats the correct one btw, was a decent buy.
Giant is the largest bicycle manufacturer in the world by $. They make the majority of Trek's and a lot of other brand's bikes. That normally makes them one of the best values.

I'm heading back out today to look at more bikes, any recomendations? I know I am not spending a ton with only about $300 to spend but anything to point me in the right direction.

Edit: I posted that GT bike a few posts up but I think that is mostly for mtn trails and I am going to be on mostly paved bike paths.

kaskade

So I went to my local bike shop to check some out in person. They didn't have the Soho S that I wanted to see but the guy recommended me a Fisher Wingra. I liked the way it felt, though I didn't get to directly compare.

I guess it's between those two. I'm not sure what I want though. I really like the look of the Soho S. So it's pretty much between a single speed or a geared bike.

Any input?

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
kaskade said:
So I went to my local bike shop to check some out in person. They didn't have the Soho S that I wanted to see but the guy recommended me a Fisher Wingra. I liked the way it felt, though I didn't get to directly compare.

I guess it's between those two. I'm not sure what I want though. I really like the look of the Soho S. So it's pretty much between a single speed or a geared bike.

Any input?

I have a Gary Fisher Mendota, so I am biased. Anyway, there's no question whatsoever: A bike with gears is more useful than a bike without gears. Unless you live on an infinitely long boardwalk.

Even an ardent fixie fan isn't going to argue that point. Fixies are a fashion/lifestyle choice, not a logical one. Get some gears.

_Bro

Banned
kaskade said:

Any input?
That Soho S is retarded. There is pretty much no reason to have a single speed unless you're racing track or too lazy to shift gears. The price on it is also pretty steep. You could get a cooler bike for that price. Go with Wingra, the black model looks a lot better.

If you really just like the look of the Soho S then just get a replacement handlebar. I am not a fan of the Soho S at all, it looks like an expensive junker that you could get for half that on craigslist.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
$700 fucking dollars for a single speed?

Just buy a used road bike on craigslist and convert it if you really want a single speed.

dojokun

Banned
GamePnoy74 said:
A buddy of mine just got this bike, he's liking it a lot.

Somewhat off-topic, but is anyone here in SoCal-GAF planning to ride CicLAvia tomorrow (4/10)? My wife and I are planning to ride our bikes once the streets in downtown LA open at 10AM.
I am planning on it.

kaskade

Yeah, I guess the Wingra does make more sense, especially if I decided to branch out from just commuting to work. The surrounding areas are pretty hilly. Guess I'm going to start saving.

ameratsu

xxracerxx said:
$700 fucking dollars for a single speed?

Just buy a used road bike on craigslist and convert it if you really want a single speed.

Friend of mine just bought a Trek Soho for $700. Saying "buy a used road bike and convert it" assumes a level of mechanical competency that most people do not possess. I agree though and would go that route if I wanted a single speed.

Top Bottom