• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bicycle age

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
_Bro said:
You'd save money taking it to a bike shop and asking them to convert it for you.

It's like a $50 process. Here is page about it.

That page also has the most ludicrous explanation for single speed ever:

If you're riding for sheer pleasure, or for exercise, you don't necessarily place that high a premium on output results, as measured in speed, distance or vertical climb. Instead, you may care more about the actual experience of riding your bike. In this case, you may be a candidate for a singlespeed bike.

Riding a singlespeed can help bring back the unfettered joy you experienced riding your bike as a child. You don't realize how much mental energy you devote to shifting until you relinquish your derailers, and discover that a whole corner of your brain that was formerly wondering when to shift is now free to enjoy your surroundings and sensations.

Paradoxically, a singlespeed is, in another sense more efficient than a multispeed bike! While the single gear ratio will not be the "perfect" gear ratio for all conditions, in the conditions which fit the single gear, it is considerably more efficient mechanically than the drivetrain of a derailer bike.

Changing gears on a bike is (eventually) a completely instinctive process. And because my bike is geared appropriately for say, a mildly steep uphill, I can actually relax while I ride. There's LESS concentration required. On a fixed gear, that hill is overcome by sheer effort and willpower.

And the second bolded part. I don't even...

His point about simplicity is fine and he should have stopped there.

Kraftwerk

I have been thinking a lot about what bike to get. At first the Seek 0 seemed like the best choice, but after more thinking not so much. I ride to work, so i need a fast and agile bike. i also want to do long distance rides in the near future. Light touring, charity rides etc.

Currently my top pick is this one :

Argon 18 Radon- Full 105 kit

o2tGC.jpg

^ that seems like your standard road bike. Not a bad purchase, but it's not the kind of bike I'd use for commuting or touring. A road bike is the type of bike you ride in full 'kit' (bike shorts & jersey). It's for sport; not so much transportation.

If you carry some luggage, or ride in everyday clothes, these bikes are not the best. They're good for charity rides or just exercise, though.

Kraftwerk

perryfarrell said:
^ that seems like your standard road bike. Not a bad purchase, but it's not the kind of bike I'd use for commuting or touring. A road bike is the type of bike you ride in full 'kit' (bike shorts & jersey). It's for sport; not so much transportation.

If you carry some luggage, or ride in everyday clothes, these bikes are not the best. They're good for charity rides or just exercise, though.

I know. It is half carbon so it will reduce vibration and shock when I ride. Again, I'll be doing mostly 'light' touring. Not any kind of rough terrain, maybe some gravel or parks.

As for the commuting part, why not?

And you dont HAVE TO ride it while wearing shorts and etc. You dont have to sit in an aggressive position all the time. you can use the top bar and just relax.

And besides, even if I commute to work with my cycling gear it will be normal, since I work in a bike shop ;p

good think this thread is here.

my situation: college student in Savannah. need a bike for the fall quarter. something that can have baskets attached to the back for whenever I go to Kroger and to hold my toolbox

anyone care to help?

perryfarrell said:

Well, do you live in the US? Road and track bikes are all any white male in their 20s-30s uses for transportation. Anything else looks weird here.

Kraftwerk

From The Dust said:
good think this thread is here.

my situation: college student in Savannah. need a bike for the fall quarter. something that can have baskets attached to the back for whenever I go to Kroger and to hold my toolbox

anyone care to help?

Honestly, If you just want a beater bike go to the local community bike network and get one for $100 and attach a basket to it.

BUT

If you want something nicer gimme a budget and your gender.

Kraftwerk said:
Honestly, If you just want a beater bike go to the local community bike network and get one for $100 and attach a basket to it.

BUT

If you want something nicer gimme a budget and your gender.

male, and budget isn't to much of a problem. I'm considering all my options at this point, from the high end to the low end.

oh and there are like, 3 or 4 bike shops within close distance from the dorms and departments

Kraftwerk

From The Dust said:
male, and budget isn't to much of a problem. I'm considering all my options at this point, from the high end to the low end.

oh and there are like, 3 or 4 bike shops within close distance from the dorms and departments

Well since you are looking for a commuter / utility bike i Will suggest the :

Escape City by Giant :

Super lightweight utility bike. Perfect for Commuting, long distance, leisure rides, touring and light trails. Made by giant so you know you are getting good quality at a good price. Comes with fenders, rack, ergonomic grips ( ammaaazing) , kickstand etc.

The frame is super ALUXX lightweight. When you lift it up you wil be amazed at the weight, since it comes fully loaded. Has a CROMO rigid fork to dampen vibration.

Since it already has a rack, you can get panniers, baskets, milk crate. Comes with a bungie cord to so hold on to that sixpack :)

price range depending on city etc $500-$600

let me know if this is the style you are looking for. If you want something more Road or trail oriented say so and i will recommend other models.

1MhHm.jpg

^ Craigslist. I think many people spend too much on brand new bikes, when a used mountainbike or hybrid or old steel roadbike would suit them just fine. Find someone who works on bikes, let them tune it up, buy a plastic milk crate, attach with plastic straps. Voila.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
From The Dust said:

Gary Fisher Mendota. I have a rack on mine now. Changed/added the grips/endbars, everything else is stock. Carbon forks, disc brakes, light, easy to ride.

I am leaving Southern Ontario in a couple weeks to head out west to BC. My Norko is about 20 years old now, so no way in hell was it going to make it out there. I also had a Trek bike I was given from my employer about a year ago. It has front suspension, and fat tires. Not good for what I do, but it got me some extra cash.

This is my new baby. So beautiful.

mybaby.jpg

2011_specialecxuno_detail2.jpg

Kraftwerk

HurricaneJesus said:
I am leaving Southern Ontario in a couple weeks to head out west to BC. My Norko is about 20 years old now, so no way in hell was it going to make it out there. I also had a Trek bike I was given from my employer about a year ago. It has front suspension, and fat tires. Not good for what I do, but it got me some extra cash.

This is my new baby. So beautiful.

mybaby.jpg

2011_specialecxuno_detail2.jpg

I LOVE Masi bikes. Own the city version of that bike.

dojokun

Banned
ameratsu said:
Friend of mine just bought a Trek Soho for $700. Saying "buy a used road bike and convert it" assumes a level of mechanical competency that most people do not possess. I agree though and would go that route if I wanted a single speed.
The problem with converting a road bike to a singlespeed is that most road bikes don't have horizontal dropouts for chain tensioning.

ameratsu

perryfarrell said:

I use a late 80s bianchi road bike to commute and it goes both ways. I use platform pedals and regular clothes to get around town, while I have clip ins and lycra for group rides and such.

I would definitely buy another road bike for commuting, though I wouldn't lock that Argon outside anywhere.

turnbuckle

SUPREME1 said:
7100 here.

Got yourself a great bike.

Can't wait to get it. The bike shop didn't have one on hand so they had to order one. Probably get it within the next week. Decided to buy my brother the 7300 yesterday so I'll have another person to go riding with. A few friends and I went riding for the first time this year over the weekend. Not an overly long trip - about 20 miles - but boy does my taint hurt.

kaskade

What do you guys use when you bring stuff with you? I mean like a backpack or messenger bag. I'm just wondering which is more comfortable. I have a backpack with some straps and buckles(it's actually a motorcycle backpack). My other option would be to get a rack and hook it up to there. I bring my macbook to work so I don't really want the bag to fall off the back of the bike.

My bike computer cable got cut the other day. It was a $10 cheapo one, so not a big issue. Does anyone have any recommendations of a decent one in the $30-$40 range. Is getting a wireless one advisable?

SUPREME1

Banned
whatsinaname said:
My bike computer cable got cut the other day. It was a $10 cheapo one, so not a big issue. Does anyone have any recommendations of a decent one in the $30-$40 range. Is getting a wireless one advisable?

Did somebody slash it, or did it tear some other way?

Performance Bike shops usually have some computers on sale and their stuff is usually pretty good and they have a great return policy.

On a different note, I went on a great mountain bike ride the other, finally dialing in my new Avid BB7 disc brakes. So smooth and powerful, truly one finger stopping! I used to have hydraulic Magura which were great but they kept leaking( but only after 8 years!) so I decided to go cable actuated.

SonnyBoy

Hey guys, I stumbled upon/picked up a lightly used Schwinn Protcol 1.0 in a pawn shop the other day. I popped in to get a used PS3 and saw the bike, it was in great condition and some quick research did throw up any warning signs. I basically just got it to do some light trail riding/exercise. I was wondering if I could get your opinion on the bike and how good it is?

SUPREME1 said:
Did somebody slash it, or did it tear some other way?

Haha. Nothing that nefarious. I didn't have it wound around another cable. When my bike fell down (on a windy day when propped against a pillar), the front wheel/fork twisted around a lot and cut the cable in the process.

It cost me 7$ and worked for 1 year/350 miles. I am ok with that. Was just looking for something a bit better this time.

SUPREME1

Banned
whatsinaname said:
Haha. Nothing that nefarious. I didn't have it wound around another cable. When my bike fell down (on a windy day when propped against a pillar), the front wheel/fork twisted around a lot and cut the cable in the process.

It cost me 7$ and worked for 1 year/350 miles. I am ok with that. Was just looking for something a bit better this time.

Ah, well that's just bad luck.

*puts away shotgun*

turnbuckle

The weather has been to shitty to go riding since I got my bike but it's bound to be spring for real here pretty soon. I've been looking for a 3-bike rack for my car (2005 honda accord) and was wondering if anyone had any recommendations.

Through Amazon I've bee looking between:

Thule 911xt
41Yst9ICVOL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Or:

Saris Bones 3 bike trunk mount

41HozzBylxL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Any other suggestions? Any recommendation of one over the other?

mYm|17|

so I need help picking out a bike.

I would like to go on flat roads and also trails. I know I want a mountain bike or hybrid.
My budget is around 400 or so and I'm a male.

Kraftwerk

turnbuckle said:
The weather has been to shitty to go riding since I got my bike but it's bound to be spring for real here pretty soon. I've been looking for a 3-bike rack for my car (2005 honda accord) and was wondering if anyone had any recommendations.

Through Amazon I've bee looking between:

Thule 911xt
41Yst9ICVOL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Or:

Saris Bones 3 bike trunk mount

41HozzBylxL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Any other suggestions? Any recommendation of one over the other?

http://www.saris.com/index.php?page...id=7&vmcchk=1&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=57

I always recommend the Saris Bones 3. That is the Bones 3, not the R3. Has 360 degree adjustable arms, and super easy to adjust and install. Can go on pretty much any car.

mYm|17| said:
so I need help picking out a bike.

I would like to go on flat roads and also trails. I know I want a mountain bike or hybrid.
My budget is around 400 or so and I'm a male.

Would love to help you, quick question tho:

How much trail riding will you be doing?

It it going to be a weekend thing, or more of a once or twice a year?

Mainly commuting and leisure?

And max price point?

mYm|17|

Kraftwerk said:
Would love to help you, quick question tho:

And max price point?
Thanks!

Trail riding, not really sure but there are alot here in the Atlanta area.

It will be mostly weekends

Just leisure, don't need to use it to get to work or anything. Really to go bike riding with my friend

Kraftwerk

mYm|17| said:
Thanks!

Trail riding, not really sure but there are alot here in the Atlanta area.

It will be mostly weekends

Just leisure, don't need to use it to get to work or anything. Really to go bike riding with my friend

Ok. In the $400 price range the best two choices IMO would be either the;

GIANT Boulder

Or

Marine Pioneer Trail

Pretty similar components. It comes down to the look, and the marin one is going to be lighter.

I HIGHLY recommend you invest $200+ more to get something with Disc Brakes. Since you are spending weekends on trails, you will wish you had them. Make's a big difference, and you will be able to ride any type of trails pretty much.

Plus, when you go into that price range you get much better frame and components AND adjustable suspension.

Of course you can add disc brakes later on, but you will have to spend a good chunk of money. Much more than just getting a bike with one.

kaskade

I rode my shitty bike to work today. It wasn't comfortable but I feel damn good when I arrived at work. Energized. I can't wait to get my Wingra.

tetsuoxb

I added to my bike collection last month.

198503_10150121293746444_531846443_6600895_1645890_n.jpg

Bottom is my 2009 Cube AMS 125 Pro, top is the new bike, a 2009 Felt Z25. SRAM Red derailleurs/shifters with SRAM Rival brakes/chainset. Full UHM carbon everywhere else. Rides comfortably, but super light and super quick. Got a great deal on the last 2009, so I couldn't pass it up.

Kraftwerk said:
I have been thinking a lot about what bike to get. At first the Seek 0 seemed like the best choice, but after more thinking not so much. I ride to work, so i need a fast and agile bike. i also want to do long distance rides in the near future. Light touring, charity rides etc.

Currently my top pick is this one :

Argon 18 Radon- Full 105 kit

Did you end up picking one out? I have to admit that Seek 0 looked damned sexy. I have a mountain bike (Trek 6700)I put hybrid tires on... but I've been looking for a change lately. I've put a lot of love (upgrades) into my old bike, but it's 10 years old and I'm looking for something easier to maintain and faster. I ride on the west side of LA, and sometimes on the beach path.

I took her in last week for her spring check up. Shes aired up, tightened up and ready for a ride. Just the way I like my women....er bikes.

Dz76k.jpg

lil smoke

Banned
Teh Hamburglar said:
I took her in last week for her spring check up. Shes aired up, tightened up and ready for a ride. Just the way I like my women....er bikes.

[IMG=Trek]
Lookin good. I just replaced my chunky WTBs with short tred Bontragers at the end of last summer, haven't given them a ride yet.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
GillaTheGorilla said:
Im looking into getting a bike for commuting, my choice is now down to one of these:

http://i55.tinypic.com/delcp.jpg[IMG]

[IMG]http://i55.tinypic.com/240ymqc.jpg[IMG]

Im leaning more towards the Scott CX[/QUOTE]
Will you have a secure place to lock the bike up to inside the building or will they be locked in the street?

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
GillaTheGorilla said:
My work place has a bike storage within the actual building so I can lock it up there and no one can get to it.
That's good. I would lean towards the Scott as well.

Hairtux

tetsuoxb said:
I added to my bike collection last month.

Bottom is my 2009 Cube AMS 125 Pro, top is the new bike, a 2009 Felt Z25. SRAM Red derailleurs/shifters with SRAM Rival brakes/chainset. Full UHM carbon everywhere else. Rides comfortably, but super light and super quick. Got a great deal on the last 2009, so I couldn't pass it up.

What kind of bike rack is that? Is it freestanding? I've been looking for a good freestanding one. I have 3 bikes in my small apartment and it would be nice to get a couple of them out of the way a bit.

Hairtux

Question for the mtbers.

I'm looking to take a trip the week of May 8 for some mountain biking. I live in Wisconsin so if the weather holds I'm just going to head out west from Milwaukee and hit the classics, like Kettle, Camrock, Blue Mound, Levis Mounds, etc. But if rain shuts down the WI trails (which always seems to happen to me when I take vacation), I'm definitely going to head out of state.

Possible destinations I've been thinking about include Tennessee/Georgia for Tanasi and Tsali and whatever other systems are around there. Or maybe head to Sedona. I can pretty much go anywhere. I'm looking for places that are going to be 60s/70s weather, intermediate to technical singletrack, and close to good brewpubs for the post-ride recovery drinking. :)

So does anyone have suggestions for amazing rides in early May?

RedSwirl

I'm looking to replace the pedals (just the part you put your foot on) on my mountain bike which are pretty much completely broken in half now. I'm trying to go metal so I hopefully won't have to replace again?

A bike shop told me they were all universal. Is that true? If not, how do I figure out what kind I need? Average price range?

RedSwirl said:
I'm looking to replace the pedals...

A bike shop told me they were all universal...

Yes, pedals are universal. To be precise, they are 9/16" 20tpi. So you can just screw any pedal in any crank arm.

The kind of pedal you'll want depends upon the type of shoe you use. Do you use a clipless system? Or just sneakers? If the latter, just get some el cheapo stainless pedals that have a decent grip.

When you install them, don't forget that the right pedal has a normal thread, but that the left one has a reverse thread (to prevent it from loosening up while you ride). Tighten them pretty tight.

dojokun

Banned
perryfarrell said:
Yes, pedals are universal. To be precise, they are 9/16" 20tpi. So you can just screw any pedal in any crank arm.

The kind of pedal you'll want depends upon the type of shoe you use. Do you use a clipless system? Or just sneakers? If the latter, just get some el cheapo stainless pedals that have a decent grip.
No... you have to screw the pedal that's meant for the right side into the driveside crank arm, and the pedal meant for the left side into the non-driveside crank.

adam.chance

Neo Member
Hello, Bike-gaf

I am also considering getting my first bike in 15 years or so (I am 25). For the next 2 months I will be living in Spokane, WA. It is a little hilly, and I would only be using it on roads. I just need to commute back and forth to school, maybe to get groceries. In July I will be moving back to southern California. The city I live in is pretty small and too many hills. Again, this would be road riding for a few months commuting to my internship (about a 5 minute bike ride, and riding with my friends around town). Then I am moving to Japan for 6 months. Then who knows where I will end up after that.

I am a male, 6'0, looking to spend around $400 since I won't be using it for much more than 6 months, but I do not know where I will end up living when I come back from Japan. I don't know if I like the riding style of the road bikes (do I have to lean forward while I ride?). I like the idea of commuting around on bike (saves money). So should I buy know for the future, or just purchase something cheap for the next few months and then see where I end up? If It would be better to buy for the long term, then I would be willing to step up and invest more money (probably around $600 total). I also don't mind trying to hunt down a good used bike on craigslist or ebay if I know what to look for.

I know there have been a lot of bike recommendations on the last few pages, so I am looking at them, but was also posting to get an idea about whether it makes more sense to invest in something good now or to wait.

robox

bike tools...

i've been saying for the last year and a half that my drivetrain needs a good cleanin'. i could take it into a shop and get them to do it.. but what about the option of doing it myself? i'd need to invest in some tools for sure. anybody do their own work? what tools do you need at the bare minimum?

ch0mp

r - b - x said:
bike tools...

i've been saying for the last year and a half that my drivetrain needs a good cleanin'. i could take it into a shop and get them to do it.. but what about the option of doing it myself? i'd need to invest in some tools for sure. anybody do their own work? what tools do you need at the bare minimum?

For the chain.. a rag and a decent degreaser - bike shops sell this stuff. For the sprockets maybe a toothbrush? You will need some chain lube too because cleaning strips it all off. There are tools you can buy specifically for this, but they can be quite expensive and don't do that great a job.

There's a few good videos demonstrating this on youtube too.

Top Bottom