• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bicycle age

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
I hope you are tall. 22" is a big frame.

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
Oh, then that's great size.

sefskillz

shitting in the alley outside your window
BdoUK said:
I've been looking for a good deal on a road bike the past few weeks and found a 2010 Trek 2.3 on closeout at a local bike shop. Picked it up today and I'm really impressed! This is my first road bike (previous bike was a Trek 7.2FX hybrid) and the ease of which it operates is amazing.
what'd you pay on closeout?

BdoUK

sefskillz said:
what'd you pay on closeout?

$1500. On top of that my employer gives me a $500 fitness subsidy every fiscal year that I can use for gym memberships, workout equipment, personal trainers, etc. This year I just decided to throw all that money toward a new road bike.

Left my bike on my car rack for ten minutes to take a shit at 1:30 in the morning, came back out and it was gone.
Eyes on this Fuji...only 100 dollars
infxxe.jpg

Some of these bike pictures make me really want to splurge on a new bike. I just want a nice and reliable bike as my main form of transportation for almost everything I do.

When I bought my first bike this June I got a little gipped as I overpaid significantly for a Denali road bike with a LOT of issues (that I didn't realize/recognize upon purchase) and which eventually became dangerous to ride (the gears stutter every couple of pedals, its basically a fixie now as the smaller gears wire snapped and I can't fix it - not for lack of trying, the front gears are also screwed as they change randomly and sometimes the chain falls off, the reflectors have all fallen off, the gears' protector (cover) is gone, and tires are shot to hell (they lose air really fast), and other issues...). The only good thing about is that it is FAST, and it handles well- when it works properly. Plus the gears screwing up is killer as I have some VERY hilly (and big hills at that) areas to bike through on a daily basis.

Now I bought a shitty Walmart mountain bike (cheap + I needed a form of transportation ASAP+I figured it might be faster overall than the Denali since I do have a forest I either walk the Denali through or could ride this through), and am regretting it again. I bought the biggest one they had, but I'm too tall for it and probably over its weight limit (the tires have 200 lbs. MAX printed on them and I'm 194ish, and with my bag/clothes go over that easily). Every other person riding a mountain bike easily outstrips me, and it always feels like I am going at a snails pace on this bike (especially if I hop on my other bike for a minute- until it screws up again). It is reliable, but it is having issues. It looks like the right pedal is made of flimsy plastic and the outer structures have snapped from the central support. Plus the rear brake is either too close to the tire and slows me down (possibly why everyone so easily outstrips me), or too far (a limit on the brake design- I can't seem to get it properly adjusted).

In the end the Walmart bike has basically increased my commute by 2x my normal commute (from 8-14minutes to 16-30!) .

I'm thinking of getting a better bike off of craigslist after looking carefully this time and making some money to buy a nice one with.

robox

killertofu said:
Left my bike on my car rack for ten minutes to take a shit at 1:30 in the morning, came back out and it was gone.
Eyes on this Fuji...only 100 dollars

sucks dude. just one of the reasons why i rather keep my bike inside the car, rather than getting and mounting on a rack. one of my requirements in a car is that it can swallow up a bike. without taking stuff off, 'cos i'm lazy like that.

also, if i could find a nice fixie for 100 bucks, i'ma gonna jump on it.

Squeak

amsmen_si800.jpg

Biomega Amsterdam
Really sweet ride. No chain, so better in climates where there is snow and slush mixed with salt and gravel much of the year. It isn't completely closed for some odd reason, so it still needs a $100 change of axle every year or so. But still worth it.

Jill Sandwich

the turds of Optimus Prime
Squeak said:
It isn't completely closed for some odd reason, so it still needs a $100 change of axle every year or so. But still worth it.

They need to be serviceable, or else you'd have to ditch the whole bike when the drivetrain breaks down.

Squeak

Jill Sandwich said:
They need to be serviceable, or else you'd have to ditch the whole bike when the drivetrain breaks down.
But there is a plastic cap with an open gab in it facing down. It's almost as if they want a little dirt to get it so wont last forever. :lol

_Bro

Banned
Well, the weather where I'm at has officially gone to crap. Time for winter clothing! Anybody have any good base layer suggestions? I was thinking about going to Target or Kohl's and just getting some junky stuff. I've also been watching Bonktown and Chainlove for some good deals.

Guess this would also be a good time to go over winter clothing in the thread.

Stuff you'll probably want:
Base Layers - provide some needed warmth which most jerseys just don't give. Also great for just staying warm during the winter.

Hats - keep that noggin warm under the helmet. I need to find some brands or styles that work with a helmet, not that it matters since Rudy Project's large size is too large and small/medium just doesn't fit me.

Gloves - I know there is a really nice pair popping up on Bonktown every now and then. They're apparently pretty warm and if you need some wind resistance they have flaps to turn them into weather proof mittens. My Giro half finger monacos won't cut it for the snow fall.

Shoe Covers - pretty much only needed if you ride with clipless shoes. Get some nice winter ones, the fall/summer style ones won't keep your feet dry.

Sunglasses - I have no idea which ones you would want but probably something that doesn't circulate air too much but enough to prevent fogging. My roommate has a pair of ugly 1-piece Oakley's that he says are great for winter conditions.

Soo.. if anybody has any suggestions on winter clothes, sound off. It's that time of the year that sucks ass.

BdoUK

I invested in a Castelli Airco base layer and I'm very happy with it. Runs about $40 from various online retailers. I've paired it with my long-sleeve Castelli jersey and remain very warm on a cold morning.

As far as pants right now I just have Specialized leg warms that I wear with my biking shorts. I will likely upgrade to a more permanent cold weather solution next year.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Bump!
I'm thinking about getting the Globe Roll 2.
http://www.specialized.nl/gb/en/bc/SBCBkModel.jsp?sid=10Roll
BL2kE.jpg

I think it's a pretty handsome looking bike. I test rode one today at the local shop.. but they only had the XL and it was way to big for me. Anybody have this bike or know someone that does? The guys at the shop said they're pretty popular.

Definitely will not be riding it fixed when I get it, but I do like the style. I think I'll have to get a different seat though.

zaxor0

Bike Question!

I have an older 10-speed, from the 70's, and I really would like the front wheel to have a quick release. I'm not entirely sure how to achieve this, or if it possible to do without buying a new wheel.

From what I gather, the main component is a quick release skewer. But how do I apply one of those to my wheel?

My wheel, like other older wheels I assume, has a sort of ball bearing mechanism on the inside and a long threaded bolt that penetrates it.

So it seems unlikely, to me, that I can just get a skewer and use it instead of the bolt (but I really have no idea).

In any case, if i need to get a skewer how do I know what size? the bolt itself measures about 120mm while the center part of the wheel measures roughly 73-78mm (kinda hard to measure that).

TL;DR How do I convert my bolt on wheel (from a 70's 10 speed) to a quick release wheel? Size is 27 1 1/4.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Well, I finally got the Roll2. It's fucking awesome. It goes so fast. That seat is definitely a piece of shit though. Can't wait to scrounge and get a Brooks. Going a night ride in like a half an hour.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Just got back from my first fixed ride. It was pretty amazing actually. Still have both brakes on since I have no idea how to skidstop, but at one point I built up a lot of speed and was very surprised at how easy it was to maintain very cool.

Though, at one point disaster struck. I pumped real hard a few times and then tried to just coast since that's what I'm used to and my pedals kicked me up and hit my cock and balls so hard on the handlebar stem. Jesus it hurt so bad.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
_Bro said:
Well, the weather where I'm at has officially gone to crap. Time for winter clothing! Anybody have any good base layer suggestions? I was thinking about going to Target or Kohl's and just getting some junky stuff. I've also been watching Bonktown and Chainlove for some good deals.

Guess this would also be a good time to go over winter clothing in the thread.

Stuff you'll probably want:
Base Layers - provide some needed warmth which most jerseys just don't give. Also great for just staying warm during the winter.

Hats - keep that noggin warm under the helmet. I need to find some brands or styles that work with a helmet, not that it matters since Rudy Project's large size is too large and small/medium just doesn't fit me.

Gloves - I know there is a really nice pair popping up on Bonktown every now and then. They're apparently pretty warm and if you need some wind resistance they have flaps to turn them into weather proof mittens. My Giro half finger monacos won't cut it for the snow fall.

Shoe Covers - pretty much only needed if you ride with clipless shoes. Get some nice winter ones, the fall/summer style ones won't keep your feet dry.

Sunglasses - I have no idea which ones you would want but probably something that doesn't circulate air too much but enough to prevent fogging. My roommate has a pair of ugly 1-piece Oakley's that he says are great for winter conditions.

Soo.. if anybody has any suggestions on winter clothes, sound off. It's that time of the year that sucks ass.

It does suck. Once the mercury goes below 50, it becomes pretty unpleasant to ride for me. I don't want to invest too much in cold weather gear because I live in the south so it's only cold for 3 months, but it's really cold right now. I have a zippered turtleneck that I wear as a base layer and that works pretty well but I need something for my head.

Guileless said:
It does suck. Once the mercury goes below 50, it becomes pretty unpleasant to ride for me. I don't want to invest too much in cold weather gear because I live in the south so it's only cold for 3 months, but it's really cold right now. I have a zippered turtleneck that I wear as a base layer and that works pretty well but I need something for my head.

Both Giordana and Sugoi make awesome skullcaps that shouldn't run you more than $25 or so. That and good winter gloves are the best purchases you'll make all winter. Invest in decent gear and remember that next Winter will be free. ;)

zaxor0 said:
Bike Question!

I have an older 10-speed, from the 70's, and I really would like the front wheel to have a quick release. I'm not entirely sure how to achieve this, or if it possible to do without buying a new wheel.

From what I gather, the main component is a quick release skewer. But how do I apply one of those to my wheel?

My wheel, like other older wheels I assume, has a sort of ball bearing mechanism on the inside and a long threaded bolt that penetrates it.

So it seems unlikely, to me, that I can just get a skewer and use it instead of the bolt (but I really have no idea).

In any case, if i need to get a skewer how do I know what size? the bolt itself measures about 120mm while the center part of the wheel measures roughly 73-78mm (kinda hard to measure that).

TL;DR How do I convert my bolt on wheel (from a 70's 10 speed) to a quick release wheel? Size is 27 1 1/4.

You'd need to replace the entire axle. Though with a 27 1 1/4 wheel you can buy a whole new from wheel for about $30. Sta-Tru makes a decent wheel at that price and they are made here in the U.S. :)

_Bro

Banned
Guileless said:
My friend got a Hincapie winter cap and loves it. Not sure how well it works when you're riding but the comfort is there.

List of all their headwear: http://www.hincapie.com/products/menswear/headwear/

My current ride:

IMG_0498.jpg

Looking to buy a Mercier Kilo TT as my fixed gear though as i'm tired of riding a road bike.

How much would it cost me to get my frame painted professionally to this color:

fixieideas.jpg

Collection is growing helped along by my can recycling:

Demo 9 DH
IMG_0323.jpg

With Reign
IMG_0322.jpg

Next on the cars will be a hardtail and probably a road bike down the track haha.

This is my first bike, when first I got it - a fixed gear Kona Paddy Wagon. Right after this picture I stripped the bullhorn brakes and installed one lever for a front brake and also added clipless pedals. I liked it a lot, but I really hated the "scene" and I sold it. I disliked the sloping top tube since day one, then eventually asked myself "why do I care" - stupid scene.
IMG_0305.JPG

Sometime in May I purchased a Felt F95. Only add ons so far are 105 pedals and a Garmin 305 GPS. I've actually have not had much time to ride it and sadly have gained a ton of weight since I sold my Fixed. I need to stop with excuses and get out there and ride!
DSC_0004.jpg

DSC_0002.JPG

They spray paint dust on the frame and it sticks with electrostatic. Then they heat it up and it melts to the frame and creates a hardened skin. It doesn't scratch easy and is relatively cheap and looks really good (done right). I think when I called to get a quote it was around $100. If you do call, try to have a color in mind because I remember them telling me that it changes the price.

You can google "powder coating city name" and get a bunch of hits.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Powder_coating

Quote said:
They spray paint dust on the frame and it sticks with electrostatic. Then they heat it up and it melts to the frame and creates a hardened skin. It doesn't scratch easy and is relatively cheap and looks really good (done right). I think when I called to get a quote it was around $100. If you do call, try to have a color in mind because I remember them telling me that it changes the price.

You can google "powder coating city name" and get a bunch of hits.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Powder_coating

Awesome. Thank you very much!

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
Thanks for the cold weather suggestions. Rode 20 miles yesterday at around 40 F with no problem. That's my lower limit though. In the 30s it's just no fun.

Anyone here commute via bike? My roundtrip to work is about 15 miles. It's not cyclist friendly though. Still thinking about it for the good weather spring months ahead.

outunderthestars said:
You'd need to replace the entire axle. Though with a 27 1 1/4 wheel you can buy a whole new from wheel for about $30. Sta-Tru makes a decent wheel at that price and they are made here in the U.S. :)

Exactly. Quick release wheels use different axles. So you'd need a new wheel. Furthermore, you need a different size wheel--not your standard 700mm. What do you need a quick release for?

Laekon

If that is what you can afford then there is nothing wrong with that bike. If possible though I would go with the a bike from the FX line. It's just a little bit sportier without the stuff you don't need like the adjustable stem and suspension seatpost. If you can find a Giant dealer I would go with the Escape 2.

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-US/bikes/model/escape.2/7374/44055/

Giant makes the majority of Trek bikes so they can provide a little better deal on lower end bikes.

Datwheezy

Unconfirmed Member
Laekon said:
If that is what you can afford then there is nothing wrong with that bike. If possible though I would go with the a bike from the FX line. It's just a little bit sportier without the stuff you don't need like the adjustable stem and suspension seatpost. If you can find a Giant dealer I would go with the Escape 2.

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-US/bikes/model/escape.2/7374/44055/

Giant makes the majority of Trek bikes so they can provide a little better deal on lower end bikes.

I definitely like the look of that one a lot more. I've got a couple Giant dealers in the area, so I'm going to make some calls tomorrow. Thanks!

_Bro

Banned
Well, today I bought a bike. Been working with business director of the company, super helpful, and we got my build down to $1999 (probably more since I changed crank size along with cassette, plus I added the "pro-build"). So it's been a long haul to get to this point, haven't had any income lately so I'm sort of buying this on loan to those who paid for it for me. The company was having a huge clearance sale on the mid-range model I wanted, assuming they're getting those cleared out for the 2011 model with a new paint job. So, on top of the sponsorship deal my school was getting I got a bit of that clearance sale price. Really great stuff.

Unfortunately, parts had to be downgraded for the price to work.

FSA Team Issue seat post
FSA OS150 stem
FSA Wing Pro Compact white handle bar
Selle Italia SLR black

For about $200 more I could have had a full carbon bike with the higher end FSA parts. Oh well, I can upgrade to those. Also stuck with a pair of Shimano RS-10 wheels, which are great for training, but they're heavy as hell so when I get some money I'm replacing those with a pair of Easton EC90s or EA90s, undecided on which I deserve.

Despite the set backs on what I'm getting compared to what I want, I'm super pumped. I'll finally have a nice bike that's doesn't have downtube shifters and a mountain bike derailer. After my shoe upgrade, maybe a new kit, I'll get to add some new carbon gear. Got to keep the SRAM Force groupset and moved to compact gearing. Really exciting!

Had to jump on GAF to brag.

Kodiak690

Neo Member
I have a Trek 7000, it's great for an inexpensive bike. I used to it ride to school and recreationally. Ride is nice and smooth and I haven't had any problems with it. I kind of wish it had shocks, however for riding on he road, it's quite nice for a hybrid.

mrkgoo

Didn't know there was a bicycle-age, and just got my first one in nearly 20 years.

It was a reasonable deal - I wanted something kinda entry-level, but hopefully not crap.

GT Bikes, 2011 Avalanche 3.0. I'm small, so I got the small frame, and it has a kink in the topbar, of which I have never seen a picture. Hope it's nice.

Excited to go pick it up tomorrow!

Momar

aka Ryder
Yay Bike-GAF! I've been biking to work for the last 6 or 7 months (though I skipped most of Dec. and Jan., thanks Seattle weather), best decision I've ever made. I <3 my bike.

I'm thinking of doing the annual STP (Seattle to Portland) ride. It's 2 days (or 1 if you're a bad ass), 200 miles. Any tips for a newb?

^ so that's two centuries in two days? It'll be somewhat challenging, you'll definitely need some training. But it's very do-able and you don't need to be a super athlete to do it.

Important things are:
- Seat & posture. Do your rear end ever hurt on 4-5 hr rides? Does your seat need any adjustments? Do you use cycling bib shorts? Comfort = key.
- Food. Most people whose 100 miles attempts fail are eating too little. You're constantly burning calories, so you constantly need to eat as well. On 2-3 hr rides, you can do without food. On longer rides, you gotta eat eat eat (and start eating well before the 2 hr mark).
- Cardiovasular shape. The best way to train for this is ride ride ride. Just ride a lot. It's one thing to ride 40 miles. But 100 is a different beast. You'll have to practice at least a few 70-80 mile rides beforehand. That way, you'll also learn to pace yourself.

Look up 'century training schedule' online. But, again, it's not that hard. Don't be too intimidated by the distance.

perryfarrell said:
^ so that's two centuries in two days? It'll be somewhat challenging, you'll definitely need some training. But it's very do-able and you don't need to be a super athlete to do it.

Important things are:
- Seat & posture. Do your rear end ever hurt on 4-5 hr rides? Does your seat need any adjustments? Do you use cycling bib shorts? Comfort = key.
- Food. Most people whose 100 miles attempts fail are eating too little. You're constantly burning calories, so you constantly need to eat as well. On 2-3 hr rides, you can do without food. On longer rides, you gotta eat eat eat (and start eating well before the 2 hr mark).
- Cardiovasular shape. The best way to train for this is ride ride ride. Just ride a lot. It's one thing to ride 40 miles. But 100 is a different beast. You'll have to practice at least a few 70-80 mile rides beforehand. That way, you'll also learn to pace yourself.

Look up 'century training schedule' online. But, again, it's not that hard. Don't be too intimidated by the distance.

This post makes me excited to try another 90 Mile run on the Santa Ana River trail (waiting for the weather to warm up and to save some cash from the hotel and eating out). I never thought I go even a fraction of that distance, but aside from a sore ass (from sitting all that time) it turned out to be an amazing experience. Really should look into some bike shorts of some kind.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Momar said:
Yay Bike-GAF! I've been biking to work for the last 6 or 7 months (though I skipped most of Dec. and Jan., thanks Seattle weather), best decision I've ever made. I <3 my bike.

I'm thinking of doing the annual STP (Seattle to Portland) ride. It's 2 days (or 1 if you're a bad ass), 200 miles. Any tips for a newb?
Damnnnnn, 200 miles in a day? I thought my 14 miles / day average was good.

And biking in Seattle is no easy feat! There's tons of hills there, and drivers seem a bit hostile to cyclists. I was there for two weeks in October 2009, and yeah, had some pretty harrowing experiences, haha.

dojokun

Banned
omg.kittens said:
Damnnnnn, 200 miles in a day? I thought my 14 miles / day average was good.

And biking in Seattle is no easy feat! There's tons of hills there, and drivers seem a bit hostile to cyclists. I was there for two weeks in October 2009, and yeah, had some pretty harrowing experiences, haha.
Whaaaat? In Seattle? Would not have guessed. L.A. drivers HATE cyclists.

_Bro

Banned
Momar said:

Yeah, definitely get fitted at a bike shop. If you've got two water bottle cages then I'd recommend just getting two large bottles. If you don't then a slightly more expensive option, but something you can use outside of riding, would be a hydration pack. That would also help with carrying food, wallet, and other objects you'll want.

If you're not wearing a shorts, bibs, or a jersey, I definitely recommend the pack because you'll want extra clothes. 100 miles is going to make you one disgusting person, your odor will offend a lot of people the next day. You can get away with a dirty kit but regular clothes will stink.

If you're looking at cycling clothes but don't want or need high level stuff then check out http://www.voler.com. I've got a Hammer Nutrition skinsuit they did and it's nice. It doesn't breathe as well as I'd like it but it is still nice.

Might want gloves since your hands will get a little sore after awhile, plus if your hands sweat then it might get a little slippery.

Other than stuff, just try to stay on someone's wheel, don't be afraid to be right up on that thing, and just stay with the group. If some guys take off, don't follow, if you're not use to it then you'll burn out quick so just stick with the main group. Remember to use your hands to alert other riders to debris or obstacles in the road.

Make sure you've got a helmet and you might want some sunglasses, they help a lot.

Have fun and enjoy it.

Side note: I got a free frame upgrade on my recently purchased bike. Can't wait to go on some good rides and get back to training.

Top Bottom