• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bicycle age

So a couple of months ago I figured I'd ride a bike to work since I live really close to the office. After doing some research I decided on the Trek Allant.

1z32l9f.jpg

302mn88.jpg

I hadn't ridden a bike in a good 16-17 years so I was worried I would a little shaky but it's amazing how you really don't forget how to ride a bike. It's a super smooth ride and a blast to ride. I'm up to three days a week of bike commuting and I'm really enjoying it. The goal is to get to the point where I'll only need my car if I'm going out to a client's office.

SUPREME1

Banned
joeyjoejoeshabadoo said:
So a couple of months ago I figured I'd ride a bike to work since I live really close to the office. After doing some research I decided on the Trek Allant.

1z32l9f.jpg

302mn88.jpg

I hadn't ridden a bike in a good 16-17 years so I was worried I would a little shaky but it's amazing how you really don't forget how to ride a bike. It's a super smooth ride and a blast to ride. I'm up to three days a week of bike commuting and I'm really enjoying it. The goal is to get to the point where I'll only need my car if I'm going out to a client's office.

Great looking bike. We have the same seats, aside from the color.

razielim

Bought a new bike Monday and haven't been able to put as many miles on it as I'd like due to the heat :( But what sweet delicious little miles they were. :D

4884500728_a6d4fb47cc_z.jpg

So I just biked about 90 miles from where I lived to Newport Beach in California via the Santa Ana bike trail. It was quite the experience.

I have Manhattan Flyer Cruiser. Great bike, but by the time I got to Newport, I had some nasty chafing in my inner thighs. I figured buying a new seat would do the trick, and I found a bike shop and did that. My old site was wide and supportive but not very soft and ideal for long rides. This new seat I got was softer but not as wide and supportive. I kinda regret buying it now. With everything I packed for the trip, I didn't have room for it and I just got rid of my old seat. Can anyone recommend a good seat, that's nice and wide and supportive but also comfortable for long rides?

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Choppasmith said:
Can anyone recommend a good seat, that's nice and wide and supportive but also comfortable for long rides?
Not really(?)

Cruisers aren't for long rides. Road bikes: Different posture, different seat, different purpose.

leroidys

Gallbaro said:
Merino wool and deodorant work wonderfully.

Seriously Merino wool is the greatest material ever used in clothing, I ride up a mountain every morning and do not even sweat when wearing it.

Anyway this is the bike you want, pure commuting perfection.

w9jt3c.jpg

Don't listen to this man. Don't by a French bike if you're ever going to go on long rides. Replacing anything really sucks and is way more expensive.

Choppasmith said:
So I just biked about 90 miles from where I lived to Newport Beach in California via the Santa Ana bike trail. It was quite the experience.

I have Manhattan Flyer Cruiser. Great bike, but by the time I got to Newport, I had some nasty chafing in my inner thighs. I figured buying a new seat would do the trick, and I found a bike shop and did that. My old site was wide and supportive but not very soft and ideal for long rides. This new seat I got was softer but not as wide and supportive. I kinda regret buying it now. With everything I packed for the trip, I didn't have room for it and I just got rid of my old seat. Can anyone recommend a good seat, that's nice and wide and supportive but also comfortable for long rides?
A cruiser seat isn't meant for long rides. You want a road bike with a hard saddle.

Gallbaro

Banned
leroidys said:
Don't listen to this man. Don't by a French bike if you're ever going to go on long rides. Replacing anything really sucks and is way more expensive.

Huh? My bike isn't french. :lol It speaks made in Taiwan English!

Its a Surly.

So I've been wanting to get into bicycling after riding a friend's bike a while back. I want something simple, something to get me to class and just to dick around for the most part.

I was thinking about getting a Schwinn Racer. Does anyone know how good those are? Excuse the total noobness, but how customizeable would this bike be?

478_311_S10RAC_244.jpg

killertofu said:
So I've been wanting to get into bicycling after riding a friend's bike a while back. I want something simple, something to get me to class and just to dick around for the most part.

I was thinking about getting a Schwinn Racer. Does anyone know how good those are? Excuse the total noobness, but how customizeable would this bike be?

478_311_S10RAC_244.jpg
It's garbage. I liked this line in the specs:

"Saddle: Schwinn approved"

I guess the fun is in guessing what you're getting. It's been approved by Schwinn though!

Check out your local bike shop for their used track bikes. (I'm assuming you want a fixed gear bike, from your hints at keeping it simple and customizing it.) You'll get something much better there.

This is probably out of your budget, but I've always wanted a Surly Steamroller: http://surlybikes.com/bikes/steamroller_complete/. Right now I have a Jamis Sputnik from a few years back as my fixed gear bike, I like it a lot.

Just bought a new Trek Fuel 5 full suspension mountain bike a few weeks back. Really loving it so far. Great ride and a nice compliment to my Specialized road bike.

Can anyone recommend a cheap, decent bike rack for an '09 civic sedan? Need it mostly for > hr trips in and around town. From amazon would be great (gotta love the free 2 day shipping)

purg3

slept with Malkin
New ride! 2010 Trek 2.1. After only ever owning Mountain and BMX bikes, finally decided to get a road bike. I was originally going to get a 1.5, but the dealer knocked some money off of this, so it was hard to pass up. After the test ride, I knew I had to have it.

i8Ec7.jpg

WGCye.jpg

Took it out for my first serious ride this morning, and it is definitely a different experience than riding a mountain bike and took a bit to get used to the riding position. But after a few miles, I really didn't notice anymore. And holy fuck, the speed you pick up is absolutely sick. The park I was riding at has a really fast horseshoe bend, and this bike takes corners like it's nothing and no speed is lost. So much fun riding with that kind of speed which I never really got trail riding.

Can't wait to take it out again, just waiting on my new pedals and shoes and then I should be set. I have a feeling my mtn bike is going to collect a bit of dust now, at least until it starts getting cold out.

i've been biking for almost 2 months now for weight loss. picked up a gt xcr 3000 locally from a guy on craigslist. i didn't know anything about it (or bikes in general). just that it looked more "serious" than my current bike i got at walmart. he was selling it for $150. he said it needed some work, but was still good to ride. from what i've been reading on the net, i got an awesome deal. i replaced the pedals, reconnected the front brakes, oiled the chain and the i-drive system and it's good to go! i'll be replacing the chain eventually as it is starting to rust and probably redo the cables too. frame is about 10yrs old and it's in great shape, a few scratches here and there, but that's it. i <3 this bike :D

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
Has anyone here ever built a bike from components?

Right now it feel like the Johnny Cash song, One Piece At a Time, since I'm buying parts as I can afford them.

I'm decent mechanically, but also wonder if after I'm done, I should take it to the local bike shop to give it the once over.

Kraftwerk

ChiTownBuffalo said:
Has anyone here ever built a bike from components?

Right now it feel like the Johnny Cash song, One Piece At a Time, since I'm buying parts as I can afford them.

I'm decent mechanically, but also wonder if after I'm done, I should take it to the local bike shop to give it the once over.
Yes,I HIGHLY suggest having a mechanic check it over.they shouldn't charge u anything.We have a guy or two come every few days to do just this.All I'm gonna say is that some of them owe their life to us.Not trying to scare ya but there are some minor things,that can cause serious damage.

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
Kraftwerk said:
Yes,I HIGHLY suggest having a mechanic check it over.they shouldn't charge u anything.We have a guy or two come every few days to do just this.All I'm gonna say is that some of them owe their life to us.Not trying to scare ya but there are some minor things,that can cause serious damage.

Cool thanks.

Yeah, I want to get hurt because of something I do stupid on the bike. Not because of something stupid I did to the bike.

Jill Sandwich

the turds of Optimus Prime
photo-53.jpg

photo-29.jpg

IMG_10181.jpg

I put mine mostly together myself. Some things need precise tools though, I handed the build over to the local bike shop for fitting the headset and cabling. Youtube has some great how-to's, and a visit to the library for a mountain bike maintenance book will get you through. They're certainly easier than a car to maintain. I'd recommend self build, it gets you to know your bike.

Vard

How do I tighten a bike whose front wheel likes to get crooked easily? The handlebars will face straight but the wheel will point to the left or to the right. I can realign it with no trouble, but it becomes crooked soon after since I have no idea where to even tighten it. I can post pics later if it varies by bike... it's a simple beach cruiser.

razielim said:
Bought a new bike Monday and haven't been able to put as many miles on it as I'd like due to the heat :( But what sweet delicious little miles they were. :D

4884500728_a6d4fb47cc_z.jpg

Those handlebars make me all nostalgic for the 80's.:lol

It's been e while since I've seen those irl.

ChiTownBuffalo

So, it begins.

The helmet, only because it was a steal at $50.

33925.jpg

avid_juicy3.jpg

Now, I just need to wait. Most of this is being funded by my not eating out for lunch savings.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
titiklabingapat said:
My imported Dutch bike :D

3483802643_39e3fab037_b.jpg
oooh. I like the look of this.

I'm in the market for a bike. I want to start commuting to work, but Austin is somewhat hilly. Is a bike like this okay for hills? What do you call this body style. Is it just Dutch?

I'm considering a hybrid, because I would like to take it to the local hike and bike trail and the occaisoinal mellow trail riding on family camping trips.

I need a bike thats good for riding to work, but not useless in other appications. I'm not interested in spending a shitload. Is there a common "standard" bike i should be comparing shit to? Whats the Toyota Corrola of commuter bikes?

ChiTownBuffalo

I mean, it depends if you want an upright or a forward riding stance.

I like the Giant Seek, myself.

seek1.jpg

Staccat0 said:

I'm in the market for a bike. I want to start commuting to work, but Austin is somewhat hilly. Is a bike like this okay for hills? What do you call this body style. Is it just Dutch?

I'm considering a hybrid, because I would like to take it to the local hike and bike trail and the occaisoinal mellow trail riding on family camping trips.

I need a bike thats good for riding to work, but not useless in other appications. I'm not interested in spending a shitload. Is there a common "standard" bike i should be comparing shit to? Whats the Toyota Corrola of commuter bikes?
From what I understand Dutch style bikes are heavy as shit. I can't imagine they handle hills all that well.

As far as recommendations, I'm new to commuting as well and I purchased a Trek Allant. (Pics in post #351) I absolutely love it. It's a really smooth ride and does well on hills. It's not the fastest bike (or maybe I'm not the fastest rider) but it does it's job. The fenders and rack come standard which is nice.

Big-ass Ramp

hella bullets that's true
ChiTownBuffalo said:
I mean, it depends if you want an upright or a forward riding stance.

I like the Giant Seek, myself.

seek1.jpg

So that's what that was. I raced some guy down a hill last week who had this same bike. It was quick, but being single speed meant that he ended up slowing himself on the down hill by quite a bit.

ChiTownBuffalo

Big Ass Ramp said:
So that's what that was. I raced some guy down a hill last week who had this same bike. It was quick, but being single speed meant that he ended up slowing himself on the down hill by quite a bit.

You can get ones that look like fixes, but actually have gears in the rear hub.

Vard

Jill Sandwich said:
I must be doing something wrong or am not tightening the right thing... Tightening those top screws with an allen wrench doesn't fix my issue. After doing that, if I hold the wheel in place (say it's pointing straight) and twist the headset left, it gets screwed up still. When I do that the wheel will point to the right if the handlebars are pointing straight... Maybe I'll take pics over the weekend. My headset doesn't look like the ones in YouTube videos and I'm quite the beginner at this stuff.

ChiTownBuffalo

Does anyone here have a preference Fox or Marzocchi shocks?

The Fox's all seem lighter. But that's all I can really tell.

Otheradam

killertofu said:
Holy shit, $720 though? The Schwinn is only 280 :lol
I bought a surly steamroller at the beginning of summer and it's a great track bike. These things are indestructable. Any decent quality bike will cost $600 or more. It's the type of metal they use to make the frames. Cheap steel will rust and break really easily.

Calantus

I really want to start mountain biking like i used to as a kid, problem is none of my friends want to :lol. I might go alone, any advice on a decent, cheap, first time mountain bike?

Also, where do you guys find local trails?

ChiTownBuffalo

Calantus said:
I really want to start mountain biking like i used to as a kid, problem is none of my friends want to :lol. I might go alone, any advice on a decent, cheap, first time mountain bike?

Also, where do you guys find local trails?

Check out:

www.mtbr.com

They'll have user reviews, areas to ride in your local area, etc.

As for first bike, what is your budget? Do you want a full suspension? Hardtail?

Where do you live as well, not to stalk you, but as a gauge of terrain.

Antagon

Staccat0 said:

The Netherlands is almost completely flat. Dutch bikes are generally simple, durable and practical, but also heavy. Bikes rarely have more then 3 gears. This specific model is a womens bike with a low bar for dresses and skirts.

Good thing about Dutch bikes is that they're practical. They've always got chain guards, jacket protectors, mud guards and luggage racks. You also sit upright which is a bit more relaxed and gives a better view compared to other bikes, but obviously slows you down a bit more. People here wear their everyday clothes on them (or even go in full suit).

po1s_amsterdam_bicycle_suit.jpg

They're also extremely sturdy and low maintenance. I personally did somewhere between 20 and 30.000 miles (!) on a Gazelle with almost no maintenance except for fixing punctures tires. The luggage racks are also strong enough to hold another person.

Basically, they're great bikes if you want one to ride through a city and use it regularly for groceries and just small distances. If you want to do more, you'll need something else.

ChiTownBuffalo

eternal prize said:
Me and my giant defy 2 after 230km for cancer :)

R8tLg.jpg

That's awesome.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
Hi guys. I'm in NYC and I've been thinking of buying a bike mostly for commuting, and getting some exercise. What do you guys think of folding bikes? I'm considering them to ease of storage and portability. Should I get one, or stick to a conventional bike?

Antagon

richiek said:
Hi guys. I'm in NYC and I've been thinking of buying a bike mostly for commuting, and getting some exercise. What do you guys think of folding bikes? I'm considering them to ease of storage and portability. Should I get one, or stick to a conventional bike?

Haven't got experience with folding bicycles myself, but keep in mind that you'll pay more for them then a normal bike. So only go for it if you've got the cash to spare.

Personally, I'd think that the Dutch style bike would be good for you as New York is relatively flat (at least afaik, never been there personally), so the weight and low amount of gears won't make too much of a difference and they're simply more practical and safer (because of your position, you're easier to spot for other traffic and you can look around better yourself as well).

ChiTownBuffalo

Step 1.

Face Protection achieved.

helmet.jpg

Step 2.

Frames and shocks.

Alucrid

Banned
So bike gaf, can you help me out? I figure buying a bike to travel the ~20 blocks to work would be better than buying a subway pass every month, cheaper, and I'll have the bike for when I move further away from my college campus. So I'm looking to spend around ~500, more if the quality is truly worth it. I had a friend over who's into bikes and he was giving me some advice on what to look for in bikes. So I was doing some research and found this, any good?
http://www.sunandski.com/ProductDet...lick=282&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=7720056651010

I figure with your help and his help I should be able to make it out pretty good. Suggestions on locks and helmets is fine as well. Gracias. :D

Also, sizing. I'm like 5'7"...my friend said I would be around 51-52cm, is that right?

Alucrid said:
So bike gaf, can you help me out? I figure buying a bike to travel the ~20 blocks to work would be better than buying a subway pass every month, cheaper, and I'll have the bike for when I move further away from my college campus. So I'm looking to spend around ~500, more if the quality is truly worth it. I had a friend over who's into bikes and he was giving me some advice on what to look for in bikes. So I was doing some research and found this, any good?
http://www.sunandski.com/ProductDet...lick=282&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=7720056651010

I figure with your help and his help I should be able to make it out pretty good. Suggestions on locks and helmets is fine as well. Gracias. :D

Also, sizing. I'm like 5'7"...my friend said I would be around 51-52cm, is that right?
Yep, that'd be good. It's a single speed though, do you live in a hilly area?

zaxor0

This is my current project. I took this the day I bought it after I did some serious cleaning and fooling around with it. I got it for $50 off craigslist.

38892_570638683972_63105626_33137428_3833999_n.jpg

It is a mid to late 70's Ross Eurosport. Once I get paid friday I'll be able to finish making her the way I want her.

I took off the rear brake because I needed to cable to replace the front gear cable (which was rusted in two). I've been getting along well without it.

She is a shit ton more clean now, will post new pics soon.

Alucrid

Banned
Liu Kang Baking A Pie said:
Yep, that'd be good. It's a single speed though, do you live in a hilly area?

Not really, a few slight inclines on the way to work but nothing serious. I know getting a bike with multiple gears will raise the price up, and I don't really want to be bothered with changing gears (incredibly lazy and ironic for choosing to ride a bike :D) but I think I should be ok with it. Just wanted to be sure the components were quality, thanks. :D Of course like I said I'm still open to suggestions since I'm shopping around. Dunno how good this bike would be for exercise...I'd like to try and get whatever I buy on a trail once or twice a week.

Top Bottom