• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bicycle age

Mascot

Your friends must be quite used to riding with a dim bulb by now.

*rimshot*

giphy.gif

:p

broony

Holy hell does ERG make a HUGE difference on the trainer. The only thing I need to work on now is turning my legs over faster.

I still don't see the point. I'm quite capable of making sure I output the correct power. I don't need to worry about it screwing up on short intervals etc either.

I like how it lets you mess about with cadence while it maintains the same power. So you can do pretend high gear - low cadence hill reps.

Or... and stay with me here... you could change your gears. lol (As an example I was doing 600w at 135 RPM the day before yesterday, I've also done 600w at 60rpm)

Sorry, I've been training for 3+ years on a turbo and I think there's probably only been one occasion that might have been useful for me... force intervals. I'm not convinced it would actually work for that though, at least not as trainer road has it set up right now.

Force intervals are basically starting in your biggest gear and trying to get to 90 RPM within 12 pedal strokes... but I guess to do those in ERG it would need to know EXACTLY how much power you're capable of putting out at low cadence. My problem is that I just don't have access to big enough gears (I can only go so big on my trainer bike's big ring).

choodi

Banned
I am hoping that you guys might be able to give me a bit of bike-buying advice.

I recently borrowed a bike from a friend so that I could start riding a short distance (about 5 kilometres) to and from my bus stop a couple of days a week. My plan has always been to eventually buy my own bike, but I wanted to see if I was going to enjoy it or not before spending money.

It's literally been almost 30 years since I rode a bike and I am enjoying it so far, so I thought I would take the plunge and buy something for myself. I don't want to spend a fortune on a bike. Probably up to AU$500.

The bike I borrowed is a hybrid and I want to stick to that style. I ride on specific bike paths and never ride on the road. I am not interested in riding as a sport, it is purely about getting more active. Eventually, I will look to ride all the way to work (about 14 kilometres), which will involve some riding on the road, but for the vast majority, the commute will be on specific bike paths.

Anyway, I went to the bike shop today and had a bit of a poke around. I got talking to one of the staff and asked what bike he thought might suit me. He showed me a few and I liked the look of the 2016 Norco Yorkville which I could pick up for about $470.

Does anyone have any experience with this bike? Good or bad value at that price?

Any other recommendations are welcome.

TL:DR I'm a super casual bike rider, time to buy my own bike, is a Norco Yorkville decent value?

choodi

Banned
I think the important question is do you think you will ever move beyond what you're doing now?

I can't see myself riding competitively. This is purely about riding socially/commuting to get a bit more active. I have young kids and once they get a bit older, I can see a bit of family biking happening.

JPKellams

Rode my second Criterium today. Went from C5 to C3. Another ninth place.

Fun race, but the best part was making up 21 positions on the last lap. I sat in the pack and relaxed the entire race and then unleashed holy hell on the last lap.

Laekon

I am hoping that you guys might be able to give me a bit of bike-buying advice.

Does anyone have any experience with this bike? Good or bad value at that price?

Any other recommendations are welcome.

TL:DR I'm a super casual bike rider, time to buy my own bike, is a Norco Yorkville decent value?
Norco is a good but small company so it's harder for them to provide a great value at lower prices. See if you can find a last year Giant Cross City or Trek FX on sale. I don't know AU pricing but it will likely be a little higher but worth it. Almost every part of the bike will be higher quality, especially on the Giant.

I can't see myself riding competitively. This is purely about riding socially/commuting to get a bit more active. I have young kids and once they get a bit older, I can see a bit of family biking happening.

There's some city/comfort style bikes out there that may be a better option than a hybrid option. If you're willing to spend a few more you can get something like this http://www.fujibikes.com/usa/bikes/road/adventure-and-touring/touring/touring

I've seen this in person and it's a really nice looking bike. Decent parts for the price, plus it comes with panniers.

choodi

Banned
Norco is a good but small company so it's harder for them to provide a great value at lower prices. See if you can find a last year Giant Cross City or Trek FX on sale. I don't know AU pricing but it will likely be a little higher but worth it. Almost every part of the bike will be higher quality, especially on the Giant.

Thanks, ill do some more research this weekend and see what i can find.

There's some city/comfort style bikes out there that may be a better option than a hybrid option. If you're willing to spend a few more you can get something like this http://www.fujibikes.com/usa/bikes/road/adventure-and-touring/touring/touring

I've seen this in person and it's a really nice looking bike. Decent parts for the price, plus it comes with panniers.

More than $1000 here which is well above what i want to spend. I agree it looks nice though.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
So, after failed attempts to fix the wheels of my older 16inch foldable bike, I opted for a more (considerably more) expensive foldable. A very good choice so far, and the bike is considerably faster as well!

Some Photos:

The second one is the main reason I bought a 16 inch wheel foldable!

Thoughts!?

frontieruk

So, after failed attempts to fix the wheels of my older 16inch foldable bike, I opted for a more (considerably more) expensive foldable. A very good choice so far, and the bike is considerably faster as well!

Some Photos:

The second one is the main reason I bought a 16 inch wheel foldable!

Thoughts!?

I love those bikes :) if I was fitter I'd get one for my commute.

So after calming from some bugger getting through my abus silver sold secure lock and doing the off with my bike, I bought myself two replacements.

defy-adv-2-hd-compt1jx3.jpg

Sorry I went full Jimmy. But God do I enjoy riding this thing.

But there's more I said I bought two bikes!

_863kj08.jpg

I got this model with a soldsecure gold rated lock, lights, bike cover and pump for £100

Friend of mine dropped his Brompton off for me to look at as he's been having problems with the chain skipping.

One of his jockey wheels is basically smooth, and the other one is down to sharp points. His main gear is full on shark toothed too. I've not bothered measuring the chain, I know exactly what I'll find. lol

I don't think he's going to like it when I tell him he's going to to buy most of the drivetrain again.

frontieruk

Friend of mine dropped his Brompton off for me to look at as he's been having problems with the chain skipping.

One of his jockey wheels is basically smooth, and the other one is down to sharp points. His main gear is full on shark toothed too. I've not bothered measuring the chain, I know exactly what I'll find. lol

I don't think he's going to like it when I tell him he's going to to buy most of the drivetrain again.

Ouch :(

Laekon

I love those bikes :) if I was fitter I'd get one for my commute.

So after calming from some bugger getting through my abus silver sold secure lock and doing the off with my bike, I bought myself two replacements.

defy-adv-2-hd-compt1jx3.jpg

Sorry I went full Jimmy. But God do I enjoy riding this thing.

Keep your eye out for a deal on better wheels. The ones on it are tanks. Also those tires have no flat protection so make sure you have some patches as well as a spare tube with you.

frontieruk

Keep your eye out for a deal on better wheels. The ones on it are tanks. Also those tires have no flat protection so make sure you have some patches as well as a spare tube with you.

Have conti 4 seasons on it already ;) and always carry a spare tube, they're the same wheel set as my old bike so won't really notice much difference, but any pointers at a wheelset upgrade would be welcomed.

All this discussion reminds me that I'm jonesing hard for some proper road cycling. I don't think I've averaged over 20km/h in two months thanks to the constant shit weather where it snows and melts over and over and there's no clean road surface except in places where you'll get murdered by cars.

Luckily mountain biking has been pretty good, so I'll survive.

bosseye

Plucked up the courage to do my first black run at Bike Park Wales. I was all set to do Dai Hard, but after a good long look at the qualifying gap jump at the start I decided I didn't quite have the confidence for it. I mean in some ways I could probably do it no real issues, but I think I've psyched myself out of it, if I come up short then if it doesn't kill me it will absolutely fuck the bike up. So I didn't do it and instead did Coal not Dole instead which was great, fun but a bit horrifying especially in this greasy chilly weather.

Lots of the trails are on the 'Yayyyyyy!' side of the fun scale, Coal was a bit more on the 'yaaaaaayyyyyooooohffffffffuuuuuuuuckkkkkYayyyyyyyyyyI'maliiiiiiive'.

From the top though, Sixtapod (Blue run, my favourite, pure fun) down to the fire track, Coal down to the underpass then Insufficient Funds (red run) which has some serious drop offs. Not done funds before, those drop offs are bigger than they look!

The bike just gets better and better though, if anyone is in the market for a fantastic full suss that won't destroy the bank; YT Capra, just amazing.

frontieruk

Well first 'real' ride of the Carrera Crixus this morning :-
The Good :-
  • Frame is solid and comfortable
  • gears change crisply
  • managed the journey to work in the same sort of time as on my old Rapid.

The Bad :-
  • the brakes, I feared for my life! I think either I've gotten to used to discs or the pads need replacing and the levers adjusted for more response.
  • spacing betwen the gears, one gear change could have me going from struggling to spinning going up hill, will get used to it.
  • the saddle, it's made of some super space age low friction material that pushes you off it.

as the saddle and brakes can be replaced, I can honestly say I'm happy with the purchase.

HTupolev

Well first 'real' ride of the Carrera Crixus this morning :-
the brakes, I feared for my life! I think either I've gotten to used to discs or the pads need replacing and the levers adjusted for more response.
In most circumstances I'm a fan of v-brakes, but that would require either different levers or the use of something like a Problem Solvers Travel Agent to make the cable pull correct, and I doubt you want to bother.

If you don't mind their color (aesthetics are obviously the most important aspect of a bicycle), try Kool Stop salmon pads. They're very aggressive, and also formulated to hold up pretty well in wet conditions.

spacing betwen the gears, one gear change could have me going from struggling to spinning going up hill, will get used to it.
I was about to put together a rant about how you need to HTFU and learn your double-shifts, but then I made a log chart of what I think are your ratios, and:

H3PwGH0.png

wat

The highest gear on the small ring is barely lower than the third-highest on the big ring, and at that spot on the cassette, the step size borders on palatable anyway. You do get a run of sensible spacing below that, but that's ~76 gear inches and lower.

This really makes me appreciate the use of 10-tooth gaps between chainrings when dealing with wide-range clusters that don't have very many cogs. Here's my Stumpy drop bar conversion, with its 48-38-24 triple:

AIRZDth.png

A run of beautiful 1.5-step shifts starting at the second-highest cog on the big ring, at ~95 gear inches. Works pretty well even for pacelining on the flats with speedy roadies. (Granted, my low gears aren't really any better-spaced than yours.)

the saddle, it's made of some super space age low friction material that pushes you off it.
Sounds like a feature. Less clothing drag on the saddle means less chafing and less wear and tear. A well-fit and correctly-positioned saddle shouldn't require a very high coefficient of friction for you to stay put.

lol, the chain on my friend's bike is so stretched that I can't actually use the chain stretch measuring tool on it. I'm hitting the other side of the link!

This is not how chains are supposed to fit...

ahucf.jpg

Mascot

lol, the chain on my friend's bike is so stretched that I can't actually use the chain stretch measuring tool on it. I'm hitting the other side of the link!

This is not how chains are supposed to fit...

[IMG ]https://abload.de/img/ahucf.jpg[/IMG]

Confiscate his bike and buy him a bus pass for his own safety.

teepo

its funny how wd40 has recently entered the bike lube market. that company was in a few of my econ txt books for selling only one thing which people to this day still treat as some sort of do all magic spray. it both greases and degreases!

Top Bottom