• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bicycle age

Mascot

Why only dip your toe in that pond?

94486175.jpg

I feel bad for people who didn't get to experience 90s mountain bikes. Or maybe I'm happy they didn't have to deal with it? Either way it was an amazingly awful time in bikes.

It was a crazy time, it all felt more experimental. My old Cannondale was pretty wild, huge smoothly welded aluminum tunes with a purple to blue fade paint job. It has a whopping 2 inches of travel. Super light but unforgivingly stiff. Tire tech was also totally hit or miss. In this TBT photo, I lost about 10 knobs on the rear tire as they just ripped off (Tioga Psycho)

Qq9HqK4h.jpg

It was a crazy time, it all felt more experimental. My old Cannondale was pretty wild, huge smoothly welded aluminum tunes with a purple to blue fade paint job. It has a whopping 2 inches of travel. Super light but unforgivingly stiff. Tire tech was also totally hit or miss. In this TBT photo, I lost about 10 knobs on the rear tire as they just ripped off (Tioga Psycho)

Also had a Cannondale from that time (97ish). What's sad is the geometry on the frame isn't that bad for converting into a single speed cruiser, but good luck finding parts that don't make it a pain to ride. I think the smallest stem I could find for my F500 was 100mm which is hilarious.

Limit

After considerable more research and visiting two bike shops I have come to conclusion that that ancheer bike is probably not the best purchase. Especially given that I am not all that savvy with maintaining even the regular bikes. This one seems to be my best and cheapest option. There is a part of me that wants to splurge a little and get this one, but here aside from price hike, the issue of having to maintain the gears deters me. Any thoughts?

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
Mine wasn't serious, a bmw ebike and everyone knows that all bikes made by car manufacturers are butt ugly, except peugeot https://www.merlincycles.com/blog/when-car-manufacturers-make-bicycles-u-g-ly/

Hahaha, damn, that Hummer model. Damn.

I've tried out the Van Moof a couple months ago when a colleague bought one and can attest that they are fantastic bicycles. Can't really compare the e-bike thing since I've never ridden another e-bike, but the Van Moof was a dream. I don't need one right now (my daily commute is only 25 k), but if I ever move somewhere a bit more remote/get a different job still within reasonable range, I'd definitely consider the Electrified S.

After considerable more research and visiting two bike shops I have come to conclusion that that ancheer bike is probably not the best purchase. Especially given that I am not all that savvy with maintaining even the regular bikes. This one seems to be my best and cheapest option. There is a part of me that wants to splurge a little and get this one, but here aside from price hike, the issue of having to maintain the gears deters me. Any thoughts?

I'm thinking that when it comes to e-bikes, cheap ones are too risky and thus expensive. So I would save up and get a good one from a proper bike brand, with a motor from someone like Bosch or the new Shimano.

HTupolev

After months of injuryishness, yesterday I finally got back into a zippy paceline.

I had this stuck in my head the entire time, which I must say is probably some of the best bike ride headmusic I've ever experienced. Epic, and had all the right dynamics to fill moments of different intensities.

That said, when things got speedy, I took pretty short pulls pulls whose length were more representative of the pro peloton than people trying to show off on a Saturday morning. Still, feels good:

yTqy2Zy.png

Donos

Read of cases like this (string traps) in german mtb forum too. It's attempted murder. Nothing less. At the speeds people use trails this is so dangerous. How can you have such a grudge as Hiker or forester that you are willing to risk killing someone...

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
US television programme 60 Minutes investigated motorised cheating in professional cycling in a show aired last night, claiming that motorised bikes have been used in the Tour de France.

60 Minutes journalist Bill Whitaker interviewed motorised bike pioneer Istvan ‘Stefano’ Varjas, three-time Tour de France winner Greg LeMond and his wife Kathy, and others. The show provided no direct evidence of cheating by cyclists.

“Stefano said he told the French police that just before the 2015 Tour de France he again sold motorised bikes to an unknown client through a middleman,” Whitaker said. “He said he was directed to deliver the bikes to a locked storage room in the town of Beaulieu Sur Mer, France.”

The programme indicated that the wheels were motorised. Varjas said “enhanced wheels” weigh about 800 grams more than normal wheels. The programme claims that Team Sky‘s bicycles were heavier than all others in the 2015 Tour.
Source.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Guardian has that story too and then it finishes with saying Team Sky's bike were tested for motors after the time trial in 2015 and none were found, so what's the story? https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2...ied-using-motorised-bikes-tour-de-france-2015

Feel like motors would be a lot harder to hide than drugs.

Well, if you think on the off the counter EBikes, yes, they would be easy to spot. But small, build-in-frame motors that will provide a few seconds of advantage? They woould be a lot easier to hide.

Mascot

There were rumours a while ago that a mysterious Tour de France entrant had motors hidden in his flesh-coloured prosthetic legs, but it turned out that someone was building a Jimmy Savile sex robot.

kottila

This varjas guy has been saying the same things for years without ever providing any evidence for it. He's just trying to promote himself and I wish they would stop using him untill he has something of substance

Mascot

Christ, just realised I've been off the bike for seven weeks now due to gammy foot - bad back - flu - bad back - gammy foot. More tests this morning. Bah.

Holy hell does ERG make a HUGE difference on the trainer. The only thing I need to work on now is turning my legs over faster.

I still don't see the point. I'm quite capable of making sure I output the correct power. I don't need to worry about it screwing up on short intervals etc either.

I still don't see the point. I'm quite capable of making sure I output the correct power. I don't need to worry about it screwing up on short intervals etc either.

For me it's the constant power. I can hit the zones fairly well on my own but not needing to worry about finding that gear and it just hitting is why I like it.

Cheers buddy - I've PM'd you my Strava login details.

Might be night riding tonight actually

Mascot

Might be night riding tonight actually

Please don't do anything Jimmyish like riding on a road while using my Strava profile. I don't want my dudebro homies at the mud club thinking I might walk in with my meat & two veg neatly outlined in lycra. The clubhouse is only 200 metres from a school.

This is night trail riding, but if you'd like I can do a 5 mile ride to the coffee shop and upload it with the title of "Thanks for the hard ride boys. Had some great pulls"

Top Bottom