• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bicycle age

I'd say around 1500 max and that would include any accessories.

I'd second the suggestion of the Allez E5 Sport. Should come in around $950, which would leave you $200 - $300 for good helmet, short, jersey, flat kit, gloves, water bottle, bottle cage, floor pump, and rechargeable flashing lights.

Keep an eye out for closeouts once you know what size frame you should be riding. That can save you a little money.

Where are you located? How tall are you?

My advice: head to a local shop, tell them you need a bike and need everything I listed. They should be able to make you a deal on the package. The margin on bikes is much thinner on bikes, so the shop wont have much wiggle room on the price of the bike, but you should be able to get 10% or more off the accessories and maybe $50 or so off the bike.

teepo

i'm currently using my wahoo kickr as a work stand so i can replace my cables, housing and handlebar tape

life hacks feel good

Draper

I'd second the suggestion of the Allez E5 Sport. Should come in around $950, which would leave you $200 - $300 for good helmet, short, jersey, flat kit, gloves, water bottle, bottle cage, floor pump, and rechargeable flashing lights.

Keep an eye out for closeouts once you know what size frame you should be riding. That can save you a little money.

Where are you located? How tall are you?

My advice: head to a local shop, tell them you need a bike and need everything I listed. They should be able to make you a deal on the package. The margin on bikes is much thinner on bikes, so the shop wont have much wiggle room on the price of the bike, but you should be able to get 10% or more off the accessories and maybe $50 or so off the bike.

I'm about 6'1, and I'm currently visiting family in Harrisburg, Pa, but I live out in Fort Collins. Thanks for all the info. And yeah, there's a local shop in the area that specializes (heh) in Specialized.

Why Specialized? Not that it's a bad choice, but there are a lot of brands out there, and I'm curious.

It's a superficial reason, but I've always appreciated their design.

Addnan

As we're talking brands does anyone have experience of MEKK bikes?

Personally no. but I have a friend who has a Mekk Pinerelo with Claris and he seems happy with it (is this a bastard child of trek and pinarello?), not much help but it looks like a nice enough bike in person. Carbon forks and Claris for <£400 seems pretty solid spec wise. I would probably prefer something with Tiagra if you could stretch another 100 or so, but if that's your budget then probably the best you will get.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Second 47 mile round trip ride done in just over 4 hours. Not as good as my last time but my body isn't nearly as achey afterwards, especially my knee's which were pretty raw there for a few days after the first attempt. Had to stop a few times which hurt my time, namely to save a turtle trying to cross a busy road who thanked me by trying to piss all over me and then got a flat tire with about 9 miles left and stupid me, I forget my pack of tools and spare parts when I was cleaning it yesterday. Had to take a cab to get a new innertube, well now I know.

Speaking of, what tools and items do people bring with them on a ride. I usually have an allen key set, a replacement innertube, a small hand air pump, a bike lock and my water pack with some Quest Bars or bottles of Soylent. Always wondering if I should pack some more spare parts especially on longer rides but I never really thought it was worthwhile to bring a replacement chain or what not.

frontieruk

Personally no. but I have a friend who has a Mekk Pinerelo with Claris and he seems happy with it (is this a bastard child of trek and pinarello?), not much help but it looks like a nice enough bike in person. Carbon forks and Claris for <£400 seems pretty solid spec wise. I would probably prefer something with Tiagra if you could stretch another 100 or so, but if that's your budget then probably the best you will get.

Friend is just after something cheap and cheerful I saw the mekk at Rutland and wondered if they had any fans as the bikes do sound solid from the specs.

If it was me, like you I'd stretch to the Tiagra spec but my fun fund is now a nursery fund and I'm happy about that.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Looking to go back to cycling and thought of purchasing a hybrid/road bike. I haven't cycled for a decade since I started living here in Scotland. And I'm really missing a lot stuff that I need to see here Scotland after a recent drive with a friend. And I live in the Scottish Borders. I kind of know the highway code since I took the theory and practical tests and passed them.

Got a budget of £1400 to £1500 that's not including the accessories (pedals,reflective jackets, safety helmets and what not). I need a bicycle that could carry a little bit of load.

Where do I start? Is there a guide for beginners when it comes to the parts of the bike?

A hybrid with knobby tires will give you the control you need on narrow borders roads and allow you to take bridle trails and dirt paths too. I have a Gary Fisher Mendota but am a huge fan of Trek and Specialized hybrid geometry and gearing. Comfortable for centuries. Nimble for verges and treacherous roads.

Great battle for the win in the womens DH finals at the UCI MTB world cup.

Actually sort of nice to not know for sure who is going to win (the usual winner is out with injury).

Psycho or Mascot, any recommendation on a longer pant to wear in the heat? Ticks in my area are out of control this year and I had 5 on me today. Trying to keep them off my legs without making internal temperature boil in the 80-90 degree heat

You're probably best off using a breathable compression base layer instead. All of the full leg trousers will rely on vents for comfort, and obviously they'll let the ticks in.

Yeah you're probably right. The little bastards are at an all time high this year and it's really annoying to have to deal with. There's a pair of shorts I wear that are pretty light and breathable from a company that also makes trousers. Problem is they're $160.....

HTupolev

Oh shit. Got to see the new Specialized Diverge bikes. Might finally run a SRAM 1X drivetrain this year. :)
I really don't understand 1x on gravel bikes. Seems like an even worse use case for 1x than road, unless maybe if you're dealing with some seriously soft wet clayey surfaces that will eat your front derailleur.

Even the cheapo 3x7 on my gravel Stumpy has 15 or 16 (depending on how brave you are about cross-chaining) practical ratios, and they're well-located; nice tightness in the road cruising range, with a sparser scattering of ratios out to the extreme low granny gears. Any 1x drivetrain available today has tangible drawbacks by comparison.

Mascot

I imagine much like suncream when cycling, anything applied to your legs wouldn't last particularly long.

r0_0_2434_3292_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

As long as you scrub them off straight after the ride you should be fine anyway. I use a shower puff with exfoliant after each ride. No way the fuckers are staying on then. When bikepacking I generally check myself before sleep... assuming I'm not half dead.

I have read that it's only if they've been attached a while that you get the risk of disease.

That's what I do. I check every time I stop for a drink and when I'm in the shower. I found one a few hours after I stopped riding but it's head was still visible. Grimey sleezy buggers.

Addnan

anyone watch the final stage of the dauphiné today?

what a race. we might have an exciting tour, possibly... maybe
I did. It was really good. Never did I see Fugslang(is that it lol) coming in this stage to win it. Had my money on Porte to hold onto the lead and he almost did, fought back at the end like a tour winner in the making. After the giro this year the tour has a lot to live up to, so let's hope for it.

Changed out my tires and now my front disc brake is rubbing for some reason. The disc is not warped and I was careful to remove the wheel. Not sure why it's rubbing now.

Any tips on recalibrating the pads? I have that weird Giant Conduct hydraulic/mechanical hybrid brake system.

Since you have a hydraulic piston, you may have accidentally pressed too much on the brake lever without the disc in, and thus the pads are now closer together in rest state. That can be fixed by taking out the brake pads and pushing the pistons back. You can use the proper tool or something plastic, like a tyre lever (I can confirm that Maxxis levers can be used for this).

Since you have a hydraulic piston, you may have accidentally pressed too much on the brake lever without the disc in, and thus the pads are now closer together in rest state. That can be fixed by taking out the brake pads and pushing the pistons back. You can use the proper tool or something plastic, like a tyre lever (I can confirm that Maxxis levers can be used for this).

That makes sense, although I don't remember doing that. Now I just have to make sure I have the right kind of allen key...

One additional tip: try stuffing some cereal box cardboard between both sides of the disc and the pads, and then squeezing the brakes a few times. Might just reset them with less of a faff.

cdViking

Anybody find themselves more inclined to stick to riding indoors during the week now that training-specific stimuli (Zwift, Trainerroad, etc.) are becoming more prevalent? I've always been a primarily indoor rider as a result of work scheduling, but at this point I wouldn't dream of getting up at 4:30 at the crack of dawn to get an outdoor ride in.

Anybody find themselves more inclined to stick to riding indoors during the week now that training-specific stimuli (Zwift, Trainerroad, etc.) are becoming more prevalent? I've always been a primarily indoor rider as a result of work scheduling, but at this point I wouldn't dream of getting up at 4:30 at the crack of dawn to get an outdoor ride in.

Only if it's shit weather outside but I need more variety on Zwift or I'll go nuts.

Mascot

The thought of riding indoors goes against all my sensibilities (like having sex with a blow-up doll) but I have definitely become more of a fair-weather biker recently. A couple of years ago I'd only look out of the window almost as an afterthought to see whether I needed waterproofs or thermals before heading to the woods but these days I tend to plan my rides around better weather if I can.

It's partly down to my plan this year to actually do less mileage on the bike to reduce RSI and other injuries (3,000 miles last year will probably be half that this year) and the fact that I've now got a nice home gym with cross-trainer, rowing machine etc set up in front of a big plasma TV, which is a nice warm, dry alternative to a cold, windy ride while getting a more varied and rounded exercise routine at the same time. Catching up on TV progs and reducing wear, tear and maintenance costs on the bike are both handy side-bonuses, plus I can be done and dusted in an hour and a half as opposed to three hours on the bike.

I'm finding that I'm enjoying my actual time on the bike more too due to its relative rarity. It's more like a treat now rather than part of a daily routine.

I'm finding that I'm enjoying my actual time on the bike more too due to its relative rarity. It's more like a treat now rather than part of a daily routine.

I'm having a similar experience this year. I'm finding my desire to go out and do 50+ mile rides is far less this year. I'd much rather go out and do 30-35, rip it hard and have fun then spend hours on end in the saddle every weekend. I suspect some of this is due to picking up a mountain bike again, but it also began to feel more job like. I'm still trying to hit 3500 for the year but if my leg & back keep being weird it may have to change. I love being on my road bike, but for some reason the mountain bike has felt a lot less demanding on my ailing body parts.

ShapeGSX

I've been doing group rides after work. I'd never hit 18.4mph average on a hilly (2291ft), 37.6mi ride like I did last night without the encouragement. :)

https://www.strava.com/activities/1037074182

Riding inside just isn't the same.

Nah, mountain biking sucks indoors

kottila

Rain = running. The joy of doing more than one sport.

Top Bottom