• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bill Condon (Beauty and the Beast) to direct Universals 'Bride of Frankenstein'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Via Deadline

EXCLUSIVE: Bill Condon, who directed the live-action Beauty and the Beast into a $1B+ worldwide box office monster for Disney, is in early talks to take the helm of a remake of a film in the Universal Pictures monster universe. We hear that Condon and Uni are both excited to collaborate on The Bride of Frankenstein, which Condon has said in previous interviews is one of his favorite classic monster movies of all time. The original, which starred Elsa Lanchester and Boris Karloff, was directed by James Whale back in 1935.

The Bride of Frankenstein remake is being produced by Alex Kurtzman and Chris Morgan from a script by David Koepp (Uni's first two Jurassic Park films) that is said to have kind of a feminist bent to the new story (yes!). The studio has been mining its monster IP goldmine with remakes for years. Their classic monsters go back to the Karloff and Bela Lugosi films from the 1920s and '30s. The next remake up is The Mummy, starring Tom Cruise and Russell Crowe, which Uni opens June 9.

You'd think they'd wait until seeing how Mummy performs before committing to any other films in this ill-advised universe.

I think they're already feeling committed to this universe - it was gonna be their biggest investment, but recently I'm hearing Jurassic World will take that title after all.

But I do agree - however, I assume they're confident enough..

So I got to ask. Is Dracula Untold part of this or not? I heard it was but then they changed their minds apparently? Idk.

It was never supposed to be, then they shot the add-on ending in case they wanted to - however, they have decided it will not be part of the universe, and there will be a separate Dracula film which ties in.

It was never supposed to be, then they shot the add-on ending in case they wanted to - however, they have decided it will not be part of the universe, and there will be a separate Dracula film which ties in.

Don't see why they don't just go with that. Untold wasn't good but it set up a pretty powerful dracula. I would have liked to seem him get a good soley because of his power set.

Don't see why they don't just go with that. Untold wasn't good but it set up a pretty powerful dracula. I would have liked to seem him get a good soley because of his power set.

My guess is the creative powers behind this universe just have their own Dracula story they wan to tell, and as that movie wasn't a smash hit, are fine leaving it behind.

well, I guess we already know the title of the eventual BO thread: "Bestseller and the Bomba"

I've already explained with Van Helsing (2004) in the movies and BO thread why I consider the monster movies dead, so as much fun as one might have with these, it's not going to break the bank. Just hope people realize that and it doesn't get him put in director jail.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I think they're already feeling committed to this universe - it was gonna be their biggest investment, but recently I'm hearing Jurassic World will take that title after all.

But I do agree - however, I assume they're confident enough..

They shot an add on ending? That movie was harmless bunk and I was OK with it. Dracula2000 had the best origin story tho.

DiscoJer

They should cast one of Tom Cruise's ex-wives. That when when the inevitable cross-over comes, there will be genuine tension

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
This is gonna have some weird reviews. Bride of Frankenstein is a cinematic marvel, but the average movie goer thinks it's a goofy dumb sequel.

I'm okay with that because of Gods and Monsters but I can't imagine what a present day version of that story would look like. I kinda wish this monsterverse all took place in the early 20th century.

You'd think they'd wait until seeing how Mummy performs before committing to any other films in this ill-advised universe.

I don't get how people say this when they're like the first ever cinematic universe. The old Universal Monsters all crossed over all the time originally.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom