• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Universal creates "Dark Universe", with "The Mummy" and "Bride of Frankenstein."

Bit of a wordy title there, but it covers the important bits.
Universal Pictures’ relaunch of its classic monster movie characters, starting with the Tom Cruise feature The Mummy on June 9, will be known as the “Dark Universe” franchise.

In addition the studio confirmed today what Deadline exclusively reported last month: Beauty and the Beast‘s Bill Condon is locked in to direct The Bride of Frankenstein which will be the next Dark Universe title following The Mummy, set for release on Feb. 14, 2019, a day that Uni had already reserved on the calendar for a monster title. David Koepp will write Bride. As such, Uni will not release a Dark Universe title as previously planned on April 13, 2018. The actress portraying the Bride will be announced soon.
It also confirms some casting that had been rumored:
dark-universe-talent.jpg
Uni also dropped a photo this morning with the stars of both imminent and future Dark Universe features, gathered for the first time: Johnny Depp as
the Invisible Man
, Javier Bardem as
Frankenstein’s Monster,
Tom Cruise as soldier of fortune Nick Morton, Sofia Boutella as The Mummy, and Russell Crowe as
Dr. Henry Jekyll
It’s Jekyll’s mysterious multi-national org Prodigium that connects all titles in the Dark Universe. Prodigium’s mission is to track, study and sometimes destroy evil monsters. Prodigium works outside all governments and protects the public from knowledge of the evil that exists in society.

KingV

The mummy trailer... I swear to god I thought it was for an uncharted movie. The main character design seems to heavily crib from Nathan drake.

D

Deleted member 20415

Unconfirmed Member
Wasn't this called something else before? So Dracula Untold gets bounced, and it's retconned and rebranded? Do I have that right?

As if the giant monster cinematic universe wasn't enough of a stretch already. Have fun being a box office disappointment, Mummy.

The mummy trailer... I swear to god I thought it was for an uncharted movie. The main character design seems to heavily crib from Nathan drake.

I thought the exact same thing. I was so confused and legit thought it was an uncharted movie until halfway through the trailer.

Platy

To be fair the Russel Crowe part does sound like a Mummy spoiler.

Also ..wtf where are the wolfman, dracula and the lake monster ?

gamz

I'm trying to get excited for The Mummy, but based on the trailers it's so boring and flat for me. Zero interest in it.

And I love the concept of a universal monster universe.

I feel like they should maybe wait to see how much of a success the Mummy is before going all in.

I thought the rumor was that they were waiting to see on Mummy returns before pushing forward.

But with the 2nd film not releasing until 2019, I think they've bought themselves enough time to cancel the whole thing if Mummy is a megaflop.

This is the Oldchella of cinematic universes.

Cruise: 54
Depp: 53
Crowe: 53
Bardem: 48

I can't wait to hear opinions about these movies from my mom.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Finally, all my favorite movie monsters: the Invisible Man, Frankenstein’s Monster, The Mummy, Dr. Jekyl, and Nick Morton.

Oersted

To be fair the Russel Crowe part does sound like a Mummy spoiler.

Also ..wtf where are the wolfman, dracula and the lake monster ?

Crowe's character name gets mentioned in one of the trailers, we see his antics and they flatout say it in a released feature

Finally, all my favorite movie monsters: the Invisible Man, Frankenstein’s Monster, The Mummy, Dr. Jekyl, and Nick Morton.
That joke would be funnier if you just said "Tom Cruise" instead of "Nick Morton", considering what Cruise has witnessed as Scientology's biggest proponent.

Holy shit you're 100% right. Even some of the shot direction seems straight up ripped from UC. That's cheeky as fuck.

Betty

Banned
If all those people are willing to sign on for multiple movies in a cinematic universe, how has Marvel or DC even not poached Tom Cruise or Javier Bardem or even Johnny Depp for a role in their franchises?

KingV

I thought the exact same thing. I was so confused and legit thought it was an uncharted movie until halfway through the trailer.

I'm kind of shocked there hasn't been a thread on it specifically. I can't put my finger on exactly why, but his demeanor and look seems almost like a direct rip off.

Top Bottom