• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bill Murray is the best

Status
Not open for further replies.

Camp Lo

Banned
I don't understand the Bill Murray phenomena. Like the urban legend of him walking up to a guy in a burger joint, taking a bite of his sandwich while whispering "No one will ever believe you."

Why is this awesome? Has Groundhogs Day and Ghostbusters garnered that much pull? Him being in Zombieland was even more perplexing. Wow, Bill Murray. Alright...

He comes off like the uncle who's a social butterfly but also an obnoxious drunk. Cool, I guess.

Mdot

Probably my favorite actor based on GBs alone, but has some great work:

Caddyshack
Stripes
Life Aquatic
Groundhog Day
Scrooged
Lost in Translation
Ed Wood
Kingpin
Rushmore
Royal Tenenbaums
Moonrise Kingdom

Also, his sketch in Coffee & Cigarettes with the RZA and GZA is amazing.

Danielsan

Bill Murray has to be one of my favourite celebrities. Love his interviews, love him in Groundhog Day, Ghostbusters, the Wes Anderson movies and particularly in Lost In Translation. His interviews and stories are always a blast too. I particularly love the story of him getting arrested in Sweden for drunk driving a golf cart back to his hotel.

AkuMifune

Banned
Pretty sure Murray could get away with robbing a bank and no one would believe he did it at this point.

I think it's the opposite. If you told me Bill Murray robbed a bank with a shark under one arm I'd go, "Ok Yup, I believe that."

Like that time he got pulled over for drunk driving in a golf cart.

Caddyshack
Stripes
Life Aquatic
Groundhog Day
Scrooged
Lost in Translation
Ed Wood
Kingpin
Rushmore
Royal Tenenbaums
Moonrise Kingdom

This might be my favorite thing he's done, just rewatched this the other week. They should do a movie where they fight crime together, with Jarmusch directing of course.

GZA-RZA-and-Bill-Murray..png

Mdot

This might be my favorite thing he's done, just rewatched this the other week. They should do a movie where they fight crime together, with Jarmusch directing of course.

The whole thing is quotable

"Bill, Groundhog day, Ghostbustin' ass Murray"
"WHO YOU GONNA CALL?"

Are you a bug, Bill Murray? lol. Never gets old.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
I keep a painting of him hung in my living room hoping that he crashes a party of mine, sees it, and we become best friends.

I don't understand the Bill Murray phenomena. Like the urban legend of him walking up to a guy in a burger joint, taking a bite of his sandwich while whispering "No one will ever believe you."

Why is this awesome? Has Groundhogs Day and Ghostbusters garnered that much pull? Him being in Zombieland was even more perplexing. Wow, Bill Murray. Alright...

He comes off like the uncle who's a social butterfly but also an obnoxious drunk. Cool, I guess.
He's charismatic, entertaining and does whatever he wants. He seems like the most laid back celebrity ever.

Caddyshack
Stripes
Life Aquatic
Groundhog Day
Scrooged
Lost in Translation
Ed Wood
Kingpin
Rushmore
Royal Tenenbaums
Moonrise Kingdom

If you haven't seen "The Man Who Knew Too Little", watch it. One of his best, imo (well the movie itself isn't amazing, but he is amazing in it).

I suspect he's probably not that fun to work with, at least on more controlled productions. Maybe that's why he seems to like doing smaller movies with less than experienced people behind the helm. He can probably enact a measure of control. That would be my out of my ass guess, at least. Or maybe he's just mellowed out a lot with age. Who knows?

Otherwise he seems like a cool dude.

As for Ghostbusters 2, it probably would have been a lot better if they got rid of the stupid statue of liberty thing at the end, the baby and the happy slime thing. It's a movie that has a lot of promising elements, but didn't properly tie them all together. Like it was trying to be more for kids due to the cartoon or something. I mean, the whole thing felt like it should've been the plot of an episode for the TV series.

zoozilla

He's probably the kind of 'crazy and wacky' guy whose antics are fun to read about on a website but not so entertaining when they're happening right in front of you.

Kind of like Hunter S. Thompson.

Please elaborate, I want to know the full story because of reasons

She was working as a waitress at a golfing event in Stockholm. One of her friends was a huge fan and wanted his autograph but was too shy. So my sister who's brave and shit walks up to him, then the nerves get her too. She starts stammering "C-could I get your autograph" while handing him pen and paper. He turns to his friend standing next to him, then turns back to my sister and asks "How do you say hello in Swedish?", "Hej" she responds. He starts signing the paper, then he says to her "Because where I'm from, people say hello before they ask someone of something". He then leans forward, licks my sisters cheek, grabs her shoulder, turns her around and then slaps her on the butt.

So yeah, watching Moonrise Kingdom with her wasn't so pleasant.

Mdot

She was working as a waitress at a golfing event in Stockholm. One of her friends was a huge fan and wanted his autograph but was too shy. So my sister who's brave and shit walks up to him, then the nerves get her too. She starts stammering "C-could I get your autograph" while handing him pen and paper. He turns to his friend standing next to him, then turns back to my sister and asks "How do you say hello in Swedish?", "Hej" she responds. He starts signing the paper, then he says to her "Because where I'm from, people say hello before they ask someone of something". He then leans forward, licks my sisters cheek, grabs her shoulder, turns her around and then slaps her on the butt.

Amazing.

Camp Lo

Banned
He's charismatic, entertaining and does whatever he wants. He seems like the most laid back celebrity ever.

Doesn't really explain the phenomena. I mean, he's not the most charismatic or entertaining. I guess it's the cult following. I could see Dave Chappelle getting the same type of response for the same, if not less, amount of effort. He's the white Dave Chappelle.

Doesn't really explain the phenomena. I mean, he's not the most charismatic or entertaining. I guess it's the cult following. I could see Dave Chappelle getting the same type of response for the same, if not less, amount of effort. He's the white Dave Chappelle.
That's actually not a bad comparison. I could see Dave Chappelle doing the same stuff Bill Murray does and people eating it up. Some people just have a certain vibe about them.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior

I want to believe this.

So I do.

Drencrom

Oh my god

I want to believe!

i envy your sister

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
One time when eating at a Hardee's, Bill Murray walked out of the men's room in a blue pin-striped suit. After walking over to the counter to order a burger he headed for the door in my direction. He obviously noticed me staring at him, and as he was about to pass my table he stopped, turned a bit to position his back towards me, and farted in my face. He turned around, leaned over and said, "nobody will believe you", before pinching my cheek. He then exited the Hardee's, leisurely walked across the street and cut through somebody's back yard before disappearing into the distance.

ElTopo

Banned
One time when eating at a Hardee's, Bill Murray walked out of the men's room in a blue pin-striped suit. After walking over to the counter to order a burger he headed for the door in my direction. He obviously noticed me staring at him, and as he was about to pass my table he stopped, turned a bit to position his back towards me, and farted in my face. He turned around, leaned over and said, "nobody will believe you", before pinching my cheek. He then exited the Hardee's, leisurely walked across the street and cut through somebody's back yard before disappearing into the distance.

That man is a living God.

Geez. That's not ok.

Choomp

Banned
Meh he's made a few movies I didn't mind but he doesn't seem like a very nice person and he's an awful interview, so boring. He doesn't talk about his personal life much so it wouldn't surprise me if he's hiding stuff he doesn't want to get out.

Eh, always seems like the coolest guys on screen give the worst interviews off screen, ever see a De Niro interview?

SystemBug

What the EF.

That's horrible

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom