• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

billbil-kun: God of War Ragnarok is the next PC Port

Midn1ght

Instead of buying the game on console people are buying it on their PC. Thing is, they are now investing into the PC ecosystem, buying CPU, GPU, digital money from Fortnite / COD that won't go to PSN.
violin-tiny.gif

tommib

Angrboda. Playing as Atreus. Weak kratos.
Young cute black character that befriends Atreus.
A teenage angst boy turning into a man and clashing with his father.
An old Kratos that just doesn't have it in him to continue the rampage and is looking for redemption.

None of this shit is woke, man. They're interesting characters, like them or not.

An old Kratos that just doesn't have it in him to continue the rampage and is looking for redemption.

None of this shit is woke, man. They're interesting characters, like them or not.
This sounds like everything I don’t want from a god of war game lol

tommib

Disclaimer: I was beyond done with the narrative elements of Ragnorok just because I can't stand long cutscenes much these days. Nothing to do with the characters. I'm just done with lore over exposition. Sony cinematic emphasis has totally lost me at this point.

Unless it's cool stuff like Rise of the Ronin. Loved that shit because it's historical and has some humour thrown in.

Last edited:

T4keD0wN

Please mark as spoilers for others, but ive got a question. Do you get to kill that little brat from the first game (2018) by the end? i might play it just for that.

Exede

Did some of you play the same game like me? I liked this one a lot, actually a lil better than 2018.

T4keD0wN

Yes, he kills him in the first 5 minutes by crushing is head against a viking boat, while screaming "I'm tired of your adolescent gothic period". He uses his skull as a backpack for the rest of the game.
Nice, i know youre joking, i am mainly curious because hes Loki so i expect him to have to die in Ragnarok and Kratos being the one to kill him given his history with killing gods sounds dope and devastating to me, i want to see it, but primarily i just hate kids. :messenger_tears_of_joy: Am i close or not?

Last edited:

tommib

Nice, i know youre joking, i am mainly curious because hes Loki so i expect him to have to die in Ragnarok and Kratos being the one to kill him given his history with killing gods sounds dope and devastating to me, i want to see it, but primarily i just hate kids. :messenger_tears_of_joy:
No, he doesn't kill him. But I get it, I hate kids as well. All of them. Some grow up to be cool. A minority.

Kupfer

Why is the game called God of War again?

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter

It isn't necessarily woke but it screams DEI.

Are you reinforcing any negative gender stereotypes?
  • Are you unnecessarily introducing gender & gender barriers into your code or design?
  • Are you creating playable female characters that are equal in skill and ability to their male peers. Are your female characters equipped with clothing and armor that fits their tasks? Do they have exaggerated body proportions?
  • When the story allows, do you show male characters who display a full range of emotions, including joy, sadness, and vulnerability?

Angrboda is obviously black to win diversity points.

elbourreau

- Best writing in a game ever.
- Atreus and Angrboda are some of the most likeable, well-written characters in gaming history.
- Zero DEI bullshit
- Game flow is amazing and not padded out at all.
- Very chill game where you don't have tens of OCD-inducing sidequests/icons/challenges on the map/menus.
- Controls and combat systems are not convoluted at all.

Most importantly though, it has SOUL, i.e, it doesn't feel like it's made by a committee
PC master race is in for a treat
Really hope it's ironical...

winjer

I don't think I'll be playing this one.
The first game was not very good.
Graphics were great, but I didn't find the puzzles nor the combat particularly engaging.
The story was ok. But Atreus was very grating and obnoxious.

tommib

I don't think I'll be playing this one.
The first game was not very good.
Graphics were great, but I didn't find the puzzles nor the combat particularly engaging.
The story was ok. But Atreus was very grating and obnoxious.
Then avoid this at all costs. It's the same x2. It's very polished though and has really cool settings.

Gaiff

If you're at point that whenever you see a black character you scream DEI you're lost. There's no conversation to be had.
Nah, not even close lol. I'm a black man so nice try.

The game is based on Norse mythology and Midgard is based on Scandinavia my guy. Hell, I believe the landscape of Asgard in the game is copied from Iceland. Black people weren't exactly common in that part of the world and Angrboda kind of stands out. At least, lorewise, it's not completely nonsensical because she's a giant and they can look like whatever they want, but based on the setting and mythology, yeah, having a black character shoehorned in there is strictly for diversity points. Does it bother me? Not really. Doesn't mean I won't pretend not to notice what's right in front of my eyes.

tommib

Nah, not even close lol. I'm a black man so nice try.

The game is based on Norse mythology and Midgard is based on Scandinavia my guy. Hell, I believe the landscape of Asgard in the game is copied from Iceland. Black people weren't exactly common in that part of the world and Angrboda kind of stands out. At least, lorewise, it's not completely nonsensical because she's a giant and they can look like whatever they want, but based on the setting and mythology, yeah, having a black character shoehorned in there is strictly for diversity points. Does it bother me? Not really. Doesn't mean I won't pretend not to notice what's right in front of my eyes.
Look I'm with you with the general pandering we see in media but I just don't see it in Ragnarok to the degree you do. It's a game with dragons, giant trolls, and all kind of weird coloured creatures, blue eyed main characters, but a black character somehow is the AgendaTM. I don't buy it. I think it's cool that she's there. That's it.

Kupfer

Because of his title. Guy did his shit. Now he is an old legend.
They could EASY have made a new IP out of the new game design, but it probably wouldn't have gotten nearly as much attention as a big name from yesteryear.
To still call the series GoW now, even though neither the story, the characters (except for Kratos, but he doesn't care about his past except for one scene in GoW 2018) nor the gameplay have anything to do with the original 6 main games of the Greek saga, is shameful.
New-GoW is now more of a souls-like-lite based on the Sony formula than an action game with epic boss battles and a tragic revenge story.
As I said, GoW 2018 and Gow:R as non-GoW but under new IP and Sony would now have 2 aces up their sleeve to work with. Old-GoW, which definitely has its fans who are waiting for something new and don't like new-GoW and *insert name here*-IP, which could be further expanded as new-GoW is.
Now they've managed to leave the IP irrelevant and boring, there's bound to be another from-game-to-TV-series with a relaunched "complete-new-saga" edition at some point to milk the brand but nobody really expects a new, true GoW game anymore.

Gaiff

Look I'm with you with the general pandering we see in media but I just don't see it in Ragnarok to the degree you do. It's a game with dragons, giant trolls, and all kind of weird coloured creatures, blue eyed main characters, but a black character somehow is the AgendaTM. I don't buy it. I think it's cool that she's there. That's it.
Which is why I told you, "At least, lorewise, it's not completely nonsensical because she's a giant and they can look like whatever they want." So this isn't lost on me. It's not historical fiction so they can make Giants look however they want, but that doesn't mean that I don't see the blatant DEI there.

Is Angrboda being black somehow completely against the lore? I don't think so. If I'm not mistaken, there is no physical description of the character in the myths so it's whatever.

ssringo

Haven't even played the digital copy that came with my PS5. One day they'll have to get around to the games I actually want.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
mostly 4 millennials smile GIF by Adult Swim

I’ve stopped caring after two years.

Shorten the time Sony. Or do we have to slap you around some more?

Saved me some money by staggering the release if this and HFW to the point that even Sony fanboys say these games are mid. I’m not mad.

Double dipping on Ghost of Sushi tho.

Last edited:

feynoob

They could EASY have made a new IP out of the new game design, but it probably wouldn't have gotten nearly as much attention as a big name from yesteryear.
To still call the series GoW now, even though neither the story, the characters (except for Kratos, but he doesn't care about his past except for one scene in GoW 2018) nor the gameplay have anything to do with the original 6 main games of the Greek saga, is shameful.
New-GoW is now more of a souls-like-lite based on the Sony formula than an action game with epic boss battles and a tragic revenge story.
As I said, GoW 2018 and Gow:R as non-GoW but under new IP and Sony would now have 2 aces up their sleeve to work with. Old-GoW, which definitely has its fans who are waiting for something new and don't like new-GoW and *insert name here*-IP, which could be further expanded as new-GoW is.
Now they've managed to leave the IP irrelevant and boring, there's bound to be another from-game-to-TV-series with a relaunched "complete-new-saga" edition at some point to milk the brand but nobody really expects a new, true GoW game anymore.
Kratos story is already finished. This is a new journey with his son.

Old fans would not like it that much. Same for your idea.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
except for Kratos, but he doesn't care about his past except for one scene in GoW 2018
Wait what. I loved the stuff with Zeus and Athena in the previous title. Is there nothing about that in Ragnarok?

Kupfer

Kratos story is already finished. This is a new journey with his son.

Old fans would not like it that much. Same for your idea.
Then again, why is game called God of War if there is nothing more to tell about the God of War.
Call it "Dad and Son want to go to a mountain and fight sometimes for whatever reason"

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Theres a lot in the post game DLC
Ugh. Would have liked it more if they continues the story or the other games somehow.

I don't give a damn about Atreus so I guess I'll get this on a deep sale, if ever.

Thanks for the info btw!

FewRope

Ugh. Would have liked it more if they continues the story or the other games somehow.

I don't give a damn about Atreus so I guess I'll get this on a deep sale, if ever.

Thanks for the info btw!
The game is not really about Atreus either, he has more of a character arc but this is not a "passing the torch" type of game, tbh, its the contrary

Skifi28

I have had it installed since forever and never played past the first 5 hours. It's hard to believe it'll be two years old soon, how times flies.

diffusionx

Gold Member
If it is the woke shit that block you from buying, i played both games and sp2 is way more woke, like i said it's not even a contest.
Pretty much. God of War Ragnarok is really no more or less "woke" than anything coming from a major company these days. Angrboda is black, yes. Is it out of place, yes. But so is the Scottish head and the literally blue blacksmith that sounds like he just came off the Texas oil fields.

I got Ragnarok for my birthday and have been playing it and it is honestly, fantastic. It's a great game. It is better than 2018, it is huge, it is beautiful, the story is very well done. The additions to the combat are very smart. It's great. I know Elden Ring deservedly took a lot of the GOTY honors in 2022 but Ragnarok is right there. I think God of War 2018 was Sony's most successful PC game and Ragnarok should be a big hit too.

Last edited:
Top Bottom