• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Binary Domain |OT| BUYING THIS GAME IS Not up for Nagoshiation

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Is the IQ absolute garbage like what I played of the Yakuza 3 demo? I remember being blown away by how muddy that game looked. Since I loved Y1 and 2 I should probably just suck it up and play it.

Y3 is good, but yeah, all of the PS3 Yakuza games are kind of muddy.

DomGTAB

Neo Member
I played through the Japanese version over the summer. Entirely different engine and game-play system. OF THE END doesn't control at all like Binary Domain, it's a hybrid of typical RGG controls with some janky TPS system. It's weird at first, but makes sense after an hour or so.

Thanks! :)

duckroll

Made it to the start of Chapter 4. The game has pretty solid pacing, and the levels are really interesting. Some of the encounters and set pieces are really well designed. However, whoever worked on the jet ski part of the game should be banned from designing minigames ever again. Lol. Wtf. I retried that piece of shit like 6 times. The controls were so terrible and over-sensitive. The sequence was LONG. And sometimes there's really nothing you can do to correct a mistake if you hit the wall hard and spin around in a bad spot. Awful!!! Lol. >_<

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Made it to the start of Chapter 4. The game has pretty solid pacing, and the levels are really interesting. Some of the encounters and set pieces are really well designed. However, whoever worked on the jet ski part of the game should be banned from designing minigames ever again. Lol. Wtf. I retried that piece of shit like 6 times. The controls were so terrible and over-sensitive. The sequence was LONG. And sometimes there's really nothing you can do to correct a mistake if you hit the wall hard and spin around in a bad spot. Awful!!! Lol. >_<

Surprised you didn't think that about the sliding scene.

Anytime the game tries to be something other than TPS, and there's only like one more time it does that, it fails miserably and is the closest thing to a 'bad spot' in the game.

duckroll

Anytime the game tries to be something other than TPS, and there's only like one more time it does that, it fails miserably and is the closest thing to a 'bad spot' in the game.

OH! The sliding scene was AWFUL too. I just forgot about it because the Jet Ski part was even WORSE. Lol.

Yuterald

I have a feeling that people who play Binary Domain first will have a tough time adapting to OF THE END/Dead Souls.

Not me. I played the demo for Dead Souls and I was perfectly fine with it. Dead Souls feels like one of those mid-tier action titles from the PS2 era. It's the kind of game that fits comfortably along the lines with classics like Crimson Sea 2, Extermination, Spy Fiction, Firefighter F.D18 and Galerians: Ash. The Japanese PS2 action game era is still probably my most memorable and enjoyable experiences as a gamer (well, besides growing up with NES, SNES and Genesis).

Dead Souls is TOTALLY that kind of game and I love it for that reason alone. Sure, Binary Domain is more "real" and provides modernized mechanics and controls, but that mid-tier PS2 "jank" really does it for me and I always welcome it. That's not to say I don't welcome the inevitable changes Yakuza Studios is going to make for their Yakuza series. After playing Binary Domain, Yakuza 5 is going to feel and look ridiculous!

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher

Wha? I actually loved the sliding sequence. Had no problems with it and thought it was a neat break in the action.

The jet ski segment did suffer from truly abysmal controls, but I managed to complete it on my first try anyways.

but that mid-tier PS2 "jank" really does it for me and I always welcome it.
I don't expect that to be a common sentiment.

I did enjoy some of those old PS2 games as well, though, I have to admit.

cyborg009

Banned
Hey I just played the demo for a few minutes and I already want this game. should I pick it up ASAP or wait for price drop

I don't expect that to be a common sentiment.

I did enjoy some of those old PS2 games as well, though, I have to admit.

I don't think most people will welcome it, either. I've got a soft spot for janky Japanese action games, much of the reason why I loved RGG OF THE END.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Hey I just played the demo for a few minutes and I already want this game. should I pick it up ASAP or wait for price drop

Depends on your priorities, obviously, but I'm having a blast after playing for 2 hours last night. It's a very good game. I don't imagine it got a huge print run, so it might be best to buy it sooner than later. The Best Buy I went to didn't even carry the game, and I was forced to go to Gamestop (which, of course, turned out to be an awful experience). You'll probably be able to find it online, though, but I still think you should get it if you're interested in it and have time to play it now.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member

If you got the time and enjoyed the demo I think you'll get your 60(or 45) dollars worth now.

Better now than later when there are other games on your plate

However, whoever worked on the jet ski part of the game should be banned from designing minigames ever again. Lol. Wtf. I retried that piece of shit like 6 times. The controls were so terrible and over-sensitive.

I don't know if it was that they were oversensitive but it just felt like you couldn't correct your momentum if you started turning too hard one way. and if you did you'd have the same problem going the other way.

I beat it on one try but just ended up going straight the whole time. Which I was disappointed about since the game does throw some interesting stuff for you to go for along the way.(Hitting robots for Credits and avoiding mines) There just didn't seem to be enough precision to accurately go for those things.

Hope it's as inconsequential on higher difficulties at least

Not me. I played the demo for Dead Souls and I was perfectly fine with it. Dead Souls feels like one of those mid-tier action titles from the PS2 era. It's the kind of game that fits comfortably along the lines with classics like Crimson Sea 2, Extermination, Spy Fiction, Firefighter F.D18 and Galerians: Ash. The Japanese PS2 action game era is still probably my most memorable and enjoyable experiences as a gamer (well, besides growing up with NES, SNES and Genesis).

Dead Souls is TOTALLY that kind of game and I love it for that reason alone. Sure, Binary Domain is more "real" and provides modernized mechanics and controls, but that mid-tier PS2 "jank" really does it for me and I always welcome it. That's not to say I don't welcome the inevitable changes Yakuza Studios is going to make for their Yakuza series. After playing Binary Domain, Yakuza 5 is going to feel and look ridiculous!

very well said.

if you are a fan of yakuza, you know what to fucking expect by now for christ sakes.

people were having problems with the sliding/jet ski sections? time to play some wave race! don't even think about f-zero with that lack of skill... [hidden]lol[hidden]

i thought physically the jet skis felt pretty damn good actually. has anyone actually ridden one? this forum's lack of real world knowledge for power sports and cars makes me literally laugh my ass off from time to time.

Carcetti

very well said.

if you are a fan of yakuza, you know what to fucking expect by now for christ sakes.

people were having problems with the sliding/jet ski sections? time to play some wave race! don't even think about f-zero with that lack of skill... [hidden]lol[hidden]

i thought physically the jet skis felt pretty damn good actually. has anyone actually ridden one? this forum's lack of real world knowledge for power sports and cars makes me literally laugh my ass off from time to time.

So the game is truly flawless? A masterpiece of gaming with nothing to critique? Just checking.

Suzuki Yu

yeah you're right

i don't think the jet ski part was terrible at all.
the control was very sensitive but works absolutely fine and it meant to be like that, its challenging this way.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
very well said.

haha I actually thought that might be the case at one point, because yeah I've never ridden one and have no idea how they handle in person

but I just floored it until the section was over.

so made it through my second playthrough, and got 100% trust...
for everyone except for Rachel and Charlie who were both near close it however, this includes Kurosawa. I got the best scenario with Cain coming in for the last two fights with the US forces and also taking the hit for Faye. Playing the final part with all of the Rust Crew?
Felt good man, I hope RGGG Studios get another chance to make more games like BD. I'm spreading the word to everyone I know to pick it up.

atomsk

Party Pooper
anyone have a youtube link of the cutscene right before the late title card?

it's so damn hype, I need to send it to people who are on the fence about this game

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Eh, that's going a bit too far. I had no issues with the jet-ski in this game, but the controls were nowhere near as good as those games and certainly not optimal for gameplay.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Just beat this earlier...my jaw actually dropped at some of the stuff storywise at the end, I actually got really invested in the characters. This is honestly one of the best TPS campaigns I've ever experienced. MP is barren so I can't even try it, but regardless I'm really impressed.

I just finished chapter 3 and really enjoying it so far.
Is there a scene select, To play over segments of the game?

How many chapters are there?

IrishNinja

man, this is a good post.

also: anyone trashing Dead Souls, i will motion for a righteous deportation from the Nagoshi Nation

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Just sold a new copy to a kid and his dad at the store.

I did my part. And now I'm thinking, why is it rated M? It really shouldn't be.

Tain

Am I missing/forgetting points where the game forces you into certain parties or does this game have a lot of cutscenes that are dependent on your party choices? I mean, obviously a lot of the events are interchangeable, but there seems to be a ton of stuff that would have to be specific to certain party members. I'm really impressed.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Am I missing/forgetting points where the game forces you into certain parties or does this game have a lot of cutscenes that are dependent on your party choices? I mean, obviously a lot of the events are interchangeable, but there seems to be a ton of stuff that would have to be specific to certain party members. I'm really impressed.

Don't worry. At about the halfway point, you basically don't see 3 of your party members for a looooong time

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I just finished the jet ski sequence, and really? People thought that was annoying/difficult/had poor controls? I thought it was just fine and not very hard at all.

Were all of you who had problems just accelerating the whole time? You've got to let go of the acceleration, choose your direction, and then hit the accelerator again if you don't want to run into shit. Do that and it's simple. Was a pretty cool sequence, I thought.

Teknoman

What? The sliding scene (the first one anyway) was easy to control. Awesome over the top addition to the game as well.

Just got the demo, it really sold me on it. Seems like Gears with more focus on squad based combat. Like it so far and will defn pick it up

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Don't worry. At about the halfway point, you basically don't see 3 of your party members for a looooong time

How many variants of this are there?

and what decides which you take?

Were all of you who had problems just accelerating the whole time?

Yeah

skullwolfgp

Neo Member
Y3 is good, but yeah, all of the PS3 Yakuza games are kind of muddy.

Muddy like low contrast, or low resolution, or what? I kind of like the look of Y3 and Y4, clean and sterile but detailed with intricate props, and NPCs. I feel like it's a good approach when portraying Tokyo, which from my experience there I would describe as clean/sterile but with tons of stuff everywhere.

EDIT: Guess I should write something about Binary Domain. I really want to play this game, but can't justify buying it now. I wish Redbox had it, I bet it would do well against the scant (though generally high-quality) titles there.

Top Bottom