• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Binary Domain |OT| BUYING THIS GAME IS Not up for Nagoshiation

Kazzy

Of course, Binary Domain had a lot going against it. For one, it's called Binary Domain.

That's fair, that and the box-art make it look amazingly generic, anyone who doesn't already know this games pedigree is hardly being compelled to give it a try.

Sorry for the off topic, but can one of you japanese speakers translate this message for me?

b7nTP.jpg

I got this today via PSN and i assume it has something to do with Binary Domain, since i have played some MP yesterday and the lobby was full of Japanese players. The button below said "Join" when i received the msg, so i'm guessing it was an MP invite. I don't have the guy on my FL though and i haven't been playing BD MP today, so i'm not sure if that's what it was.

Thx in advance!
I can't read kanji, but the text of the message starts with "Binary Domain no network game", and the ending ("shimasen ka?") is typically used for invitations, so if I had to guess, I think this guy's inviting you to play Binary Domain with him.

Somebody who took more than one year in Japanese (and did better than barely passing it) could give you a much better translation, though.

I can't read kanji, but the text of the message starts with "Binary Domain no network game", and the ending ("shimasen ka?") is typically used for invitations, so if I had to guess, I think this guy's inviting you to play Binary Domain with him.

Somebody who took more than one year in Japanese (and did better than barely passing it) could give you a much better translation, though.

Oh, thanks, so it really had to do with the MP mode. A bit unusual though that someone would send me an invite the day after we played, i'm pretty sure i didn't do well enough to leave an impression on anyone. :D

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
Man. At this rate the console version will be $5 before the PC version even gets a definitive release date. gg Sega.

Just started this game today. I'm in the middle of chapter 2 and having a great time. Can't really think of anything this game does not get right. Very smooth and intriguing experience so far.

Alright, that 'love scene' was the worst fucking thing I've seen in a videogame in a long time. Where did that come from. It was so incredibly cringeworthy that I was waiting for some kind of punchline to turn this into a joke. But it didn't happen. Haha, so awful.

Responding to your mates is pretty bad and annoying, too, and it even breaks the pacing of the game here and there. I pretty much try to ignore it as much as I can.

Besides that it's still a cool game, though. I just discovered the shotgun. So awesome; I wish it could upgrade it even more. :0

Kazzy

Alright, that 'love scene' was the worst fucking thing I've seen in a videogame in a long time. Where did that come from. It was so incredibly cringeworthy that I was waiting for some kind of punchline to turn this into a joke. But it didn't happen. Haha, so awful.

Responding to your mates is pretty bad and annoying, too, and it even breaks the pacing of the game here and there. I pretty much try to ignore it as much as I can.

Besides that it's still a cool game, though. I just discovered the shotgun. So awesome; I wish it could upgrade it even more. :0

It is a very forced romance, I guess they wanted the storyline to be lent more weight by having it be a possibility.

I like the trust system, it just really annoys me that I get penalized for the AI stepping in front of my shots, RUN AROUND ME!

tsar runner boss was pretty intense. i didn't feel the pressure on the other boss fights, this one was the best. i'm already on my 2nd run, trying to max trust with other party members and clearing the hardest difficulty. best cover shooter action i've played, but i'm missing some serious vanquish speed and lunacy.

Kazzy

tsar runner boss was pretty intense. i didn't feel the pressure on the other boss fights, this one was the best. i'm already on my 2nd run, trying to max trust with other party members and clearing the hardest difficulty. best cover shooter action i've played, but i'm missing some serious vanquish speed and lunacy.

I found it really hard to figure out where you were supposed to be shooting it, takes too damn long to put down. Which is a complaint that extends to most bosses in this game, once their armour is blown off (which is almost right away), there is little indication as to whether you are actually damaging them. That sequence specifically boiled down to a battle of attrition for me.

You...haven't seen a Mass Effect/Dragon Age scene then, have you? ;)

I have seen them and they were much more tasteful, believable and had at least some kind of progression. Which is not to say that they were good, but at least they didn't come out of nowhere.

I have seen them and they were much more tasteful, believable and had at least some kind of progression. Which is not to say that they were good, but at least they didn't come out of nowhere.

I understand what you're saying. The BD one is really oddly rushed. But the scene itself actually at least seems to have the flow of an action movie romance. Feels almost realistic compared to, say, DA2

Anyway really didn't offend me in any manner. I leave a particular voice actor for that award

Beat the game. Overall I'm pretty satisfied with it, but the story was surprisingly weak. It started strong, had a cool premise, but never made interesting use of the whole "you don't know if it's a human or a robot" thing. Even though it's possible I just had unreasonable expectations on the story due to Nagoshi's involvement. In the end it is just a third person shooter and I guess exploring the setting a bit more was just not part of what they where trying to do.
The ending was not that great either.
Robots breading humans as the last big twist is a bit too silly (I wonder how robot vagina would feel like, though) and the way everyone overreacted when they learned that Faye was a hybrid was just completely incomprehensible to me. Especially when she was in fact no "hybrid" but 100% human. Only crazy people would shoot her without a second thought.
The last boss fight
was a letdown, too, when you compare it to the rest of the bosses. Just another mech suit, really? I hated how you barely got any feedback when you shot him once his outer shell was gone. Felt incredibly mindless to fight that thing.

So yeah, that's the bad stuff. The rest of the game I liked. Shooting robots with all that debris flying around never got old. I think I'll start another playthrough on the highest difficulty tomorrow. I was actually thinking about going for the platinum, but seeing how they want me to play a dead and uninspired multiplayer mode...nope

Oh, and Troy Baker voiced Charlie. lol Totally didn't notice that during the game.

I'm currently on my second run and overall this is a really good game, but fuck that
Tsar Runner
, especially on No mercy! What could be a spectacular set piece/boss fight, gets ruined by its excessive length, completely killed the mood for me.

Also, i think i might have fucked up the "Skill Master" trophy for the second time in a row. I missed two of Dan's nanomachine upgrades somewhere on my first run, so this time i used a guide to make sure i get everything. So i buy/find everything until i get to the
rebel hideout
. I go to the vending machine there and it had nine upgrades. Unfortunately i could only afford to get two of the higher priced ones, so i'm thinking ok, i'll just get them at the next machine, like i have done a few times before. I write down te names so i can double check later if i got everything. After i have reached the next machine with enough money, suddenly there were only five of the seven upgrades avaliable, the soldier and juggernaut medi pouches were missing. So i buy those five and enter
the truck
, hoping the machine in there will give me the other two, but no such luck. I am now outside of the
Amada Corp.
and the machine there doesn't have them either. Am i SOL now and will have to do another complete run to get the trophy, or could the two upgrades possibly still appear in one of the machines?

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
Beat the game. Overall I have to say I really enjoyed it. The plot was silly but entertaining and made sense for the most part. The characters were well defined and memorable and the art direction was absolutely fantastic. I felt the game was really polished and a great new IP that sadly will probably never get a sequel.

I did my part, dammit.

sigh, i think the -all nanos- trophy bugged on me. i triple-checked and bought everything. i assume it didn't unlock because i didn't add shindo to my party manually.

NO MERCY was fun, but not harder once you're decked out.

I found it really hard to figure out where you were supposed to be shooting it, takes too damn long to put down. Which is a complaint that extends to most bosses in this game, once their armour is blown off (which is almost right away), there is little indication as to whether you are actually damaging them. That sequence specifically boiled down to a battle of attrition for me.

i didn't have problems in that regard. it's a different hit spark when you hit weak points. some bosses don't have one, so that might be a prob if you don't listen to your teammates.

Finished my No Mercy run earlier and i'm currently halfway through my cleanup run on easy. No Mercy didn't feel much different to me than Survivor, aside from the tedious bullet sponge bosses. They're not challenging, they're just tedious. Otherwise i really, really like the game. There are things about it that feel a bit clunky and i wish it ran smoothly all the time, but overall it really is an immensely enjoyable game with some nice gameplay variety, mixing it up every now and then to keep it fresh and exciting. Though it would have been nice if some mechanics came into play more than once, for example the grapling gun. The first time you use it it feels like a tutorial, but then you never use it again. Gameplay is really solid all across the board, shooting feels really good and as some of you have said, blasting the armor off robots and popping their heads never gets old.

As for the
sliding and jetski
parts, i really had no issue with them and don't understand how some of you found them bad or even atrocious. I thought the
sliding
part was pretty short, easy and fun and while i'm normally not a fan of
jetski rides in games (the one in Uncharted: Drake's Fortune made me feel ill to the point that i had to stop playing for na hour)
, this one was at the very least tolerable. You can steer perfectly fine as long as you just slightly nudge the analog stick instead of making drastic movements. I finished it in one try on my No Mercy run.

The story is pretty standard fare for such games i guess, but i did grow fond of most of the characters, even though they weren't very original. Part of that was due to the voice acting, which might have been a bit spotty in parts, but somehow it made me like the characters more, especially
Shindo
. As some of you have noted, he is probably the weakest link in the cast, but there's just something about his delivery that made him endearing to me, instead of making me cringe. :)

One character that we didn't get to see much of, but i thought was absolutely badass was
Kurosawa
. That man badly needs a spinoff! :D

Long story short, really good game, definitely a keeper for me. Shame about the very basic MP though, perhaps they should've cut out the competitive modes and instead put more effort into co-op modes.

There was a patch up last night, does anyone know what it does?

After wrapping up the SP trophies i have played some more MP in the last couple of days. My second impression was a bit better than the first one and i was really enjoying it for the first 4 hours, though my opinion changed for the worse again after i realized how pretty much every match bois down to a giant campfest and how you can get spawn raped if the whole enemy team puts their mind to it. Why is there only one general area to spawn in for each team? The enemy has been camping with shields, shotguns and a grenade launcher where my team spawned and there was really nothing we could do about it, save for maybe taking one of them with us as we died. Before they started this the score was fairly even, but after that the match ended with a 30 points lead for them.

The fact that most matches can easily last for 30 minutes doesn't help. The idea that you have to win 2/3 or 3/5 rounds isn't that bad actually, but with how dominant camping is it makes the wait for the time limit of just one round to pass tedious. And then there's 1-4 rounds more of that in every match. Is there even a score limit in TDM? If there is, i haven't seen it yet in 8 hours of playing the MP. And what's up with the resistance having shittier base weapons than the ministry? I get it from a story perspective, but it doesn't make for a balanced game. Bolt action sniper vs. one where you can fire off 5 or 6 successive shots? Not very fair and it will make it a chore to do the sniper challenges for the resistance side, whereas i'm close to finishing up the kill challenge for the ministry side sniper rifle.

With how dead the MP is, the whole list of challenges seems a bit excessive as well. Being familiar with Team Yakuza's outings, i'm used to it by now. But even though it's fun having something to work forward to, besides winning matches, hardly anyone is playing it and it feels as if the community consists of a few dozen people. I managed to get into one demolition match, one FFA, which ended 5 seconds after i joined, and two Domain control matches in 8 hours, otherwise it's either TDM or Team Survival all the time, and even then it's mostly the same people all night long. Since most of the players are from the other side of the world, the lag can often be so bad that they disappear for a second and reappear 10m away. Funnily enough i met a GAFer last night, sadly he didn't stick around for long though.

In general the MP is surprisingly solid, seeing as how this is Team Yakuza's first forray into online shooters, but it lacks a certain something to set it apart from other shooters and thereby carve it's own niche in the market. Then there's a few things about it that just seem like they aren't very well thought out, like the spawn system.

I haven't tried Invasion yet, that could be the meat of this game's online portion, but like with the set time limit and number of rounds in TDM, 50 rounds and a good 2 hours to finish one game seems a bit excessive. It's not that i can't spare the time in the evening, but a lot of things can happen in 2 hours that could screw up the match, from real world distractions to getting connection erros and what not. I play a lot of Uncharted MP and the community is clamoring for an endless survival mode. Personally, i'm not fond of the idea of being tied to a mp mode for hours at a time, without the possibility of taking at least some short breaks in between.

I'd really like to platinum this game, but it's a bit said that i'll have to resort to trophy boosting with the online portion due to how dead the community is already. I wish they made those challenges optional, at least partially like in the Yakuza games, because some of them are nearly impossible to get, even if the community was lively, much less in the current state of the MP. Multi kills? I had a hard time getting them in the SP, how in the world am i gonna get 4 opponents in a group, at the right time, with the right power weapon, 20 or 25 times? I highly doubt it'll happen even once for me.

With all that said, there still is some fun to be had with the MP, like last night, when i played team survival in the underground parking lot. It was the deciding round and i was the last guy on my team, with 2 guys on the other team left. I camped the long hallway with a sniper rifle and set up a claymore on the stairway at my back. Sure enough, both of the guys rushed into it at once, resulting in my team's win. That really got a chuckle out of me, especially since it was the first time i used a claymore at all. :)

Anyway, are some of you still playing this, or have you given up on it?

yea, the multiplayer trophies are tedious. i don't think i'm gonna get those.

I'd really like to platinum this game, but it's a bit said that i'll have to resort to trophy boosting with the online portion due to how dead the community is already. I wish they made those challenges optional, at least partially like in the Yakuza games, because some of them are nearly impossible to get, even if the community was lively, much less in the current state of the MP. Multi kills? I had a hard time getting them in the SP, how in the world am i gonna get 4 opponents in a group, at the right time, with the right power weapon, 20 or 25 times? I highly doubt it'll happen even once for me.

you can farm the multi-kills here in single player:
when cain gets control of the mega robot, two ships will appear and drop off a group of robots. shoot them as soon as they open their doors. you can restart the checkpoint right away and repeat. doesn't take long.

yea, the multiplayer trophies are tedious. i don't think i'm gonna get those.

you can farm the multi-kills here in single player:
when cain gets control of the mega robot, two ships will appear and drop off a group of robots. shoot them as soon as they open their doors. you can restart the checkpoint right away and repeat. doesn't take long.

I just reread my sentence about multi kills and saw that it's a bit hard to tell what i'm referring to. What i meant was that it's rare enough to get them in SP, where there's tons of enemies, but multi kills in the competitve MP modes seem nearly impossible.

But thanks for the tip, that's actually the very last SP trophy i need to get. I probably could have had it by now, but i got sidetracked by the MP. :)

As for the other trophies, i'll try to get the ones that don't involve completing all the challenges and after that i'll see how far along i am with the challenge list to determine if it's worth bothering to boost the rest of the challenges.

Koralsky

Game comes out tomorrow on Steam and it's nowhere in the top 20 :/

Well, I just hope Team Yakuza will continue to be top SEGA studio in Japan.

After huge bomb like BD and Dead Souls, it's more than clear that we are not going to receive anything new from them in Europe/USA :(

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Game comes out tomorrow on Steam and it's nowhere in the top 20 :/

It's not even in the Coming Soon section.

I'm sure SEGA's complete lack of publicity for this game hasn't helped. Not to mention the strange release date shenanigans they pulled yet again.

volturnus

Banned
Well, I just hope Team Yakuza will continue to be top SEGA studio in Japan.

After huge bomb like BD and Dead Souls, it's more than clear that we are not going to receive anything new from them in Europe/USA :(
I don't think they had great expectations for Dead Souls, it was mostly fan service while trying to make some minimal profit, but BD bombed hard indeed.
I think it will remain as their top studio, they sure won't be taking such risks again anytime soon.
It's not even in the Coming Soon section.

I'm sure SEGA's complete lack of publicity for this game hasn't helped. Not to mention the strange release date shenanigans they pulled yet again.
I bought the game as soon I saw it would be released today, and it said (before midnight) that the game would be unlocked in 16 hours. It's 8PM here and now it says ''in 9 hours''.
It's so sad it's funny. They don't deserve this..

Firebrand

I got two keys from GMG but not unlocked yet. Apparantely it is downloading for some people over at the Steam forums, so yeah, looks like we didn't get Renegade Ops'd after all.

jimi_dini

As for the other trophies, i'll try to get the ones that don't involve completing all the challenges and after that i'll see how far along i am with the challenge list to determine if it's worth bothering to boost the rest of the challenges.

The main problem is multiplayer is almost dead and most of the time only TDM + Team Survival rooms are available. Those are really fun. You need to take a strategic approach. Sadly there is no proper matchmaking, which means sometimes level 50 guys get together in one team and slaughter the other (low-level) team. Pretty sad.

The most problematic challenge is 30 wins on Free For All mode, because of the empty multiplayer. And it's a pain to boost, because with 6 players it takes around 30 hours in total (you need 6 players to start a game and it takes 6 hours for one player alone).

It's a real shame, because if there were many matches going, the challenges would be okay. I have done plenty of challenges, survival wins down to 1, TDM wins down to 10 or so. I'm level 44 now. And I also got to 45th wave in Invasion on my 2nd try. Invasion is also pretty hard, because you need to beat 50 waves, and at around wave 40 it gets pretty insane. You need 4 really great players to beat it. And those players should be around level 42-43 at least to enable the nano for having 2 additional medkits (which combined with the other medkit nano results in having the ability to grab 5 medkits in total). Another problem is: no continues. If the team dies, it's over. And getting to round 50 takes around 3 hours.

I will get this platinum hehe

The main problem is multiplayer is almost dead and most of the time only TDM + Team Survival rooms are available. Those are really fun. You need to take a strategic approach. Sadly there is no proper matchmaking, which means sometimes level 50 guys get together in one team and slaughter the other (low-level) team. Pretty sad.

The most problematic challenge is 30 wins on Free For All mode, because of the empty multiplayer. And it's a pain to boost, because with 6 players it takes around 30 hours in total (you need 6 players to start a game and it takes 6 hours for one player alone).

It's a real shame, because if there were many matches going, the challenges would be okay. I have done plenty of challenges, survival wins down to 1, TDM wins down to 10 or so. I'm level 44 now. And I also got to 45th wave in Invasion on my 2nd try. Invasion is also pretty hard, because you need to beat 50 waves, and at around wave 40 it gets pretty insane. You need 4 really great players to beat it. And those players should be around level 42-43 at least to enable the nano for having 2 additional medkits (which combined with the other medkit nano results in having the ability to grab 5 medkits in total). Another problem is: no continues. If the team dies, it's over. And getting to round 50 takes around 3 hours.

I will get this platinum hehe

Oh god, 6 hours of boosting just for one person in FFA? What were they thinking? And yes, i agree, doing the challenges wouldn't be so bad if the community was there, but hardly anyone plays. I'm only level 15 (i think, haven't checked lately), but i'm making good progress with some of the challenges (especially assists :p ). Recently a kicking vote keeps coming up as soon as i join a game though, mostly in Domain Control, wth?! They were probably boosting and didn't want me around, i guess. Is there any way to check the unlocks you get for advancing through the ranks, be it in the game or online?

Btw, you and i played on the same team for 2-3 matches the other day. :)

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Downloading now... will give it a try in the morning.

I loved this game on the PS3, and I imagine it's going to be a lot more enjoyable with a stable framerate.

Top Bottom