• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Binary Domain |OT| BUYING THIS GAME IS Not up for Nagoshiation

jimi_dini

Oh god, 6 hours of boosting just for one person in FFA? What were they thinking?

Normally you would just have to play FFA for some hours which would be fine. For boosting it's real madness. Well I thought about 2 or 3 others just leaving their PS3 on for some hours, so one could boost straight. This would work, because idle players won't get kicked automatically. Randoms in that case would be seriously problematic though.

Recently a kicking vote keeps coming up as soon as i join a game though, mostly in Domain Control, wth?! They were probably boosting and didn't want me around, i guess.

Yes, had that yesterday. Played against them a few matches with another player even while the other 2 players on my team went teamkilling. I really don't get it. Why don't they just play regulary or at least do the boosting properly (they had 4-5 players in one team, 2 players on the other and waited for randoms like me to join, instead of just doing 3vs3) and also name the room accordingly. When I boost, the room is named "dont join or you will get kicked" and we don't waste other players time. Domain Control etc. are really fun gamemodes, if they get played properly.

Is there any way to check the unlocks you get for advancing through the ranks, be it in the game or online?

You get extra nanos and that's it. And sadly there is no information about those available online. I just know that Medi Pouch II gets unlocked around level 42-43, because I didn't have it when I was level 41 and now I got it. That nano is super-useful for Invasion, but a complete waste on every other mode.

Also sadly if you rank up during a game, the game won't show you any unlocks. It only shows them when the match ended. Just check your nanos. Also activate different nanos and see, if they help you. For me for example the "stealth" nano (make almost no noise when moving) is really helpful.

Btw, you and i played on the same team for 2-3 matches the other day. :)

I hope I didn't suck lol
If you want to boost, just add my PSN. I got some more people, although all of them are PDT (and I'm from Europe). Hopefully we will try Invasion again this weekend.

Also sadly if you rank up during a game, the game won't show you any unlocks. It only shows them when the match ended. Just check your nanos. Also activate different nanos and see, if they help you. For me for example the "stealth" nano (make almost no noise when moving) is really helpful.

That's a shame you can't look them up anywhere. Yeah, i'm using the stealth nano for the striker and scout classes. Otherwise i'm mostly using the ones that add bullet damage and bigger health/defenses. I need to unlock more of them.

I hope I didn't suck lol

Nah, but i did. :)

If you want to boost, just add my PSN. I got some more people, although all of them are PDT (and I'm from Europe). Hopefully we will try Invasion again this weekend.

No problem, i'm from Europe too. I'll send you a request later.
Btw, aren't you also a member of Cinefacts? I rarely post there anymore, but i still visit it daily and i think i recognize your screen name from the videogames sub-forum.

Firebrand

Played the game for half an hour or so... I really like it! Runs much better than I anticipated despite not meeting recommended specs (E8500 2x3.1GHz, GTX260, 19280x1080, everything on full except SSAO which I left off). Kinda weird that they left out the aiming sensitivity setting for gamepads, but I'm OK with the defaults so.

Some questions for people who have played the game:

1) Can I only upgrade each character's main weapon? I found an SMG that I liked but I can't upgrade it?

2) Should I take the opportunity to buy every new nanomachine I see, or will they be available for purchase later?

3) I didn't bother plugging in a mic and sometimes I'll see "NO MIC" in the corner but there's no situation-specific voice options on the menu. Am I missing out by not using a mic?

Pakkidis

Played the game for half an hour or so... I really like it! Runs much better than I anticipated despite not meeting recommended specs (E8500 2x3.1GHz, GTX260, 19280x1080, everything on full except SSAO which I left off). Kinda weird that they left out the aiming sensitivity setting for gamepads, but I'm OK with the defaults so.

Some questions for people who have played the game:

1) Can I only upgrade each character's main weapon? I found an SMG that I liked but I can't upgrade it?

2) Should I take the opportunity to buy every new nanomachine I see, or will they be available for purchase later?

3) I didn't bother plugging in a mic and sometimes I'll see "NO MIC" in the corner but there's no situation-specific voice options on the menu. Am I missing out by not using a mic?

1) Yes, you can only upgrade your main weapon and your companions main weapon. However, I've heard that when you upgrade your companions weapon it will automatically upgrade any weapon of that type in the game. I.e if you upgrade your companion's shotgun, any shotgun you pick up will have the upgrade. Confirmation?

2)Yes, buy them when you see them, as most of them will not reappear at the shop

3) You are missing nothing, don't worry about it.

Firebrand

Cool, thanks!

Speaking of shotguns, there was one for sale in a shop on the first level. Should I buy that too, or only if I want to carry it there and then?

Pakkidis

Cool, thanks!

Speaking of shotguns, there was one for sale in a shop on the first level. Should I buy that too, or only if I want to carry it there and then?

Personally, I just used my main weapon as its the best for all types of situations and picked up the secondary off fallen enemies.

I only spent money on upgrading my main weapon first, buying nanos for myself and partners and then upgrades for my companions weapons.

Firebrand

Yeah, that's what I was thinking, I liked my SMG a lot so I didn't pick it up, just curious if purchasing it "unlocks" it for further use in some way.

Qwomo

Shouldn't this be back in the main Gaming forum now that the PC version is out?

Anyway, the press release on Steam for this game sounds like something Capcom would vomit:
Set in futuristic Tokyo, you mission is to bring the robotic community under control as they begin to infiltrate society and slowly take over undetected, leaving humans redundant in their wake.

Is this game more like Mass Effect 2 or a "simple" TPS ? I'm pondering whether I should buy it (the demo and its vocal controls didn't impress me)

Best voice controls for me where the controller-controls. Didn't really bother with voice.

The game is definitely a linear TPS, but with three layers of character building:
1. Teammate trust (affects endings, some AI effect)
2. Stat Armor (you have an "armor grid" and can plug-in/swap various upgrades. The grid itself never changes but you do find different upgrades of different shapes/sizes.)
3. Main Weapon Upgrade (The most in depth, 6+ categories to upgrade for 6+ levels each)

Firebrand

Huh.

So I'm at the
gunship boss with the 4 engines, right after the jet ski part, and that battle is just such a clusterfuck. Everytime I try to get a lockon the drones appear and I hit them instead. Or, I drop the rocket launcher to gun them down, only to get hit by missiles right after. And eventually I run out of rockets and there's no more to pick up... then what?

I feel like I'm missing something here. Cover doesn't really do much outside because of the airborne enemies and the triple missile attacks, seems the only safe place is inside the house where it's hard to get a lock-on without the drones playing peekaboo at the window.

I noticed a mounted machine gun on the roof, but not sure what that's good for since I can't carry the Stinger up there.

Huh.

So I'm at the
gunship boss with the 4 engines, right after the jet ski part, and that battle is just such a clusterfuck. Everytime I try to get a lockon the drones appear and I hit them instead. Or, I drop the rocket launcher to gun them down, only to get hit by missiles right after. And eventually I run out of rockets and there's no more to pick up... then what?

I feel like I'm missing something here. Cover doesn't really do much outside because of the airborne enemies and the triple missile attacks, seems the only safe place is inside the house where it's hard to get a lock-on without the drones playing peekaboo at the window.

I noticed a mounted machine gun on the roof, but not sure what that's good for since I can't carry the Stinger up there.

Yes, the drones can be a pain when you're trying to lock on to the engines and they appear in front of you in the last second, try running around a bit so your squad mates can keep them busy, while you're aiming for the engine. As for running out of ammo for the rocket launcher, every now and then there will be a bunch of those green floating devices that are normally used to bring in reinforcements flying around, only this time they are carrying ammo for the stinger (same as in the previous spider boss fight). Just shoot them down and they will drop ammo for you. Your teammates will also shoot some of them down, so look around a bit for ammo lying on the ground.

I've noticed the turret on the roof, but i never used it on any difficulty, so you're fine without it. You'd just be a sitting duck for missiles behind it anyway.

volturnus

Banned
Huh.

So I'm at the

The mounted machine gun is very good, I was also frustrated by the drones and decided to use it instead of the Stinger, it destroyed two engines quite fast.
Still, I'm not sure is the best strategy, perhaps I was lucky.

Firebrand

Thanks guys, I'll give it another try.

EDIT: Alright, got it, but had to suck up a lot of bullets to get there.

EDIT2: Yikes. Just got to the
train / subway
level and there's sooo many robots. Keep running out of ammo and quickly going through medpacks. I guess I need to keep my head down more, heh, but those scrap heads are good at flanking.

Kazzy

So people can actually find multiplayer matches without having to rope friends in? I've found absolutely nothing whenever I have tried to jump online; sadly I think the window (if you could even call it that), has well and truly passed.

jimi_dini

Anyone trying to beat Invasion completely - I almost did it today. In fact I almost beat all 3 maps.

First time I played with randoms on map 1 - sadly someone went rambo with the shield in round 48. He got killed and disconnected from the game. Which left us with one shield. I got headshotted. The other 2 managed to beat round 48, but we were fully destroyed in round 49, because I respawned with normal class weapons and no raow and no shield of course.

Second time again map 2 with other randoms - we survived till round 50, 11 enemies remaining. 2 rockets from a herc, team dead.

But now the problematic one. This time with people from ps3trophies on map 3 - we survived till round 50 - 10 enemies remaining. One rocket herc left. All the other 3 hercs dead. Team fully in cover, we would have made it. Now strangely the game somewhat disconnected everyone from host. Host got disconnected itself. Host left PSN chat as well, but was still connected in PSN itself. Reconnected immediately afterwards. Of course we respawned with class weapons, because of that host migration (stupid game design, btw) and round 50 started again (even more stupid game design, if the game had resumed where we were before, at least us 3 would have made it). Of course, no shields. No nothing. All 3 were killed within seconds.

Now we assume that the game probably kicked us out because we had one PSN chat open. It seems the game is buggy in that aspect and will go berserk, because one of us heard such story before that you can get kicked in the last round, if you got a PSN chat open.

So just a hint for anyone out there: if you want to do it, leave PSN chat before starting the match just to be sure. We just tried again, but sadly one of us disconnected in round 27 or so, so we quit, because the last rounds are hell, even with 4 players. 2 players have to use a shield, so you just need another 2 players for sniping.

Oh and if anyone wants to try to do so with me, just add me on PSN. But PLEASE only players from level 45 and up. Because you need plenty of experience in the game and it's also good to have medi pouch 2 nanos and some other ones. From round 40 up you need to be really good with the raow. If you aren't, you will get killed and doing all the rounds takes around 3 hours. So trying with unexperienced players is a waste of everyone's time. And it's best to get 4 players together in total.

And another tip for anyone that is playing invasion: Dont disconnect, when you die - if the other players manage to beat the round, you will respawn next round (with default class weapons). By disconnecting, you are ruining it for everyone involved. And every 5 rounds, you can purchase stuff, so most of the time getting killed is not the end of the match. The game sadly never tells that to the player.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
Beat the PC version tonight. My favorite game of the year, so far. It's depressing how poorly this sold.

Various thoughts!

• Gunplay is the obvious star of the show here, and it's super satisfying. Everything feels great, packs punch. The recoil, the way the robots deteriorate, the little ping! when you pop off a robot's head. Combat is simply exciting and enjoyable. Enemy AI, while not amazing or anything, is okay too, something I didn't see mentioned much.
  • Characters and dialogue were largely great, although I think Shindo was underused and
    him dying felt awkward. It was just kinda like ... oh. Okay.
    Dan and Big Bo had a lot of fun interaction, but Cain was my absolute favorite. I didn't use Rachael much, and, annoyingly,
    the game locks you out of half your cast right in the middle of the game.
    Which was probably my biggest complaint with the game. There isn't any real warning for that either.
  • I realize the boss fights were mostly just 'shoot the glowy bits,' but I quite liked them. Suitably big and intimidating, fun to fight. The
    first gorilla
    fight might be my favorite. A hulking, smashing machine that, on hard, would immediately drop you to the floor if it hit you. After it goes crazy, it sticks uncomfortably close to you, pounding the ground over and over. Good stuff, I thought. Kept me on my toes.
  • Art and music don't get enough credit. Some fantastic looking enemies, particularly the bosses. Some city areas were very pretty. Soundtrack was rock-solid throughout.
  • When that Yakuza girl asked me
    if I'd be her boyfriend, I said yeah and lost respect from my crew.
    I don't know why, but I found that hysterical.

But yeah! Very fun. I want to play some more, but will probably finish off the other games I dumped to play this instead, heh.

XenoRaven

I wasn't really hot on this game when I played the 360 demo. I don't know, maybe I was just in a terrible mood that day. Because I tried the PC demo instead and my goodness was it fun. I played it several times. I was annoyed at first because I couldn't select commands to respond to my teammates. I would pull up the menu and there weren't any buttons associated with the responses. On top of that, sometimes they would just randomly respond like I had said something to them. Then it hit me. This game has voice recognition! So yeah I'm not sure how they were hearing me without my mic plugged in, but I'm going to give the voice commands a shot next time. I'm like 99% sure I'm buying this now.

jimi_dini

is Horde mode fun?

With a good team? hell yes.

Is it viable with 2 players?

If you want to beat all 50 rounds, then no (theoretically it may be possible, although the game doesn't adjust to lower player count, so you get the same count of enemies as 4 player). If you just want to play, then yes. But you will probably only survive till round 30 or something.

And Binary Domain calls it "invasion". Horde mode is Gears of War.

If I must get this for a console, which one performs best? Going by the demo it should be 360, right?

If you want to play multiplayer, you have to know that most of the players are from Japan. And there are just a few people playing on PS3. I guess 360 multiplayer is even worse.

I see there is some Binary Domain DLC in this week's PSN update, one pack with MP content (a new map, a new class for each team and 3 new weapons) and one with SP content (a new weapon and three new upgrades for Dan). I would have gladly paid the 1.29 pounds on the UK store, but at the current state of the MP it's hard to justify buying additional content for it, even at a low price.

xcomp

Just like to say I don't know why the Yakuza Team made the 50 wave Invasions a bronze trophy on the PS3... The last few waves are immensely tough.

That said, once you have a team that knows what they're doing, the first 40 waves feel really slow and boring.

I'd like to see more Western players on though because there's too much lag with JP players D:

My tag's "xcompr" by the way if anyone needs help beating the invasions. Just drop me a message.

Edit:

And in case you don't know, if you set your PS3 to Japanese you can play the game in Japanese. A hidden language option =P

volturnus

Banned
I see there is some Binary Domain DLC in this week's PSN update, one pack with MP content (a new map, a new class for each team and 3 new weapons) and one with SP content (a new weapon and three new upgrades for Dan). I would have gladly paid the 1.29 pounds on the UK store, but at the current state of the MP it's hard to justify buying additional content for it, even at a low price.
It's probably the bonus that came with the pre-order on PC: a VS map, ninja class and a sniper + some weapons.
And you're right, MP is dead, sadly.

xcomp

It's probably the bonus that came with the pre-order on PC: a VS map, ninja class and a sniper + some weapons.
Depends what time you're on... At least for the PS3 anyway. Usually there's plenty playing Team Death Match during the evening in Japan. The other multiplayer modes are pretty much dead apart from people trying to get all the trophies which is few.

Yes, that's the DLC. I looked it up and the map is set outside of the Amada corp. building.

Depends what time you're on... At least for the PS3 anyway. Usually there's plenty playing Team Death Match during the evening in Japan. The other multiplayer modes are pretty much dead apart from people trying to get all the trophies which is few.

Yeah, getting into a TDM is not too hard, team survival is also fairly common, and very rarely i get into a domain control match, but the other modes are dead. It's a shame, because TDM gets old fast and most matches play out the same way due to the emphasis on camping. It would be nice being able to play some objective modes every now and then.

Well, what do you know, miracles do happen. After 24 hours of playing the MP i just got my first multi-kill earlier. It was during Domain Control and i just bought an RPG, so i went to higher ground and blasted away four players trying to take the zone. One down, four to go. If people were still playing the objective modes this challenge would actually be pretty doable, but in TDM or Team Survival it's impossible without a massive amount of luck.

jimi_dini

Okay, just completed story mode on hardest difficulty.

I have to say, I kinda like the idea of the game. But the execution is sometimes terrible.
For example I cleaned a whole room all by myself within seconds, just one enemy remaining. And Faye says "this doesn't look good" as if the enemies had the upper hand. I mean what? Also those multiple choice answers are just bad. Most of the time, you will just respond with "Yes" or "Yeah" and sometimes the other possibilities don't really make sense. Sometimes my character answering even feels sarcastic because of that. "I like reading books, do you like reading books as well?" "Yeah". Could have been done much better.

Or when asking a teammate for a medkit. Instead of just walking to me and patching me up, no - sometimes they will just run around shooting at enemies instead of healing me. In fact on my first play I died several times, because they just couldn't be bothered being a bit faster. My god, Sheva-AI in Resident Evil 5 was way better than that and that's saying a lot.

I also had the case twice (on hard and the hardest difficulty) that
Cerberus went over the railing with Big Bo, so I thought he died - but then in chapter 6 he is suddenly back - maybe it's explained in a cutscene, but I skipped them all on later playthroughs so idk - anyway it doesn't really make sense

I really love the multiplayer of the game. It's a really sad thing that almost noone is playing. On survival the game feels like SOCOM in PS2 days. A good team will play tactically. Still there is sadly no proper matchmaking, often teams of level 50 pair up against a team of low-level, which just plain sucks. Sort of like Uncharted 2/3, although the cause in Uncharted 2/3 is broken matchmaking and abuse of the party feature. Invasion mode - although pretty hard - is really fun to play especially with a team that knows what they are doing. In retrospect I like the multiplayer more than singleplayer because of all of its flaws.

Haroon

Thank you for making this OT. I just finished the game and the game was very enjoyable! The game-play was great, the story was pretty good, and the atmosphere was not bad at all. I loved the boss fights, they were easy but, a lot of fun having the choice to shoot huge bosses and take down their armors.

Overall, the game was pretty good however the voice command choices were very limited and nearing the end up the game, I simply replied with YES, NO, and READY. If there is a sequel to this game, I would hope that they add more enemy variety and the choices that you make within the game would affect the ending by a tremendous amount.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Finally finished this game on PC and i must say it was a fun ride.

Im gonna play through again but this time ill try get everyone to trust me ultimately.....im sure their is a better ending.

I finally got into some matches of Demolition today, which made for a nice change of pace after the countless rounds of TDM. I was lucky enough to be on a good team, which made it all the more amusing when we had to get bailed out by a level 6 player in two separate matches, after everyone else went down. The guy really came through and got us the win both times. My personal highlight was a match outside the treatment tank in which i was the last man standing on my team, versus two of the other team. I already had the bomb on me and hid on the edge of the central part of the map. After they failed to snipe me from afar they decided to flank me and moved around the other edge of the map. I knew i was a goner if i stayed there, so i made a run for their base and armed the bomb on their supplies. Of course the countdown alerted them and they came running, so i tried to hold them off but got downed. They rushed to disarm the bomb and in just that moment it went off. So exhilerating. :)

I finished this the other night and I must say I had no idea how high the production values on this game would be. Those character models, those bosses, those real time cutscenes, that music. They're all insanely high quality.

I guess that's why Sega had no money left to advertise the game. It was a real treat for the £20 I spent on it.

leng jai

Played a few hours of the PC version. Looks, soundsa and runs excellent. The production value and polish is quite surprising really. The gunplay feels amazing and clearly the highlight of the game. I have a feeling this game would have been a huge hit if it had the Terminator name slapped onto it.

Negatives so far are the bosses. Pretty tedious and boring IMO. The one involving the hovercroft and lock on missiles was atrocious. The constant need to respond to team mate banter is annoying, especially when you usually just say yes/no every time.

jimi_dini

Is there some known glitch for shooting through walls? Or are the walls supposed to let a few shots through?

I was hiding behind one (and wasn't even near the edge, so no way anyone could have hit me). Still I was shot down by a RAOW. I was also hiding behind there for 10-20 seconds, so it couldn't be lag either. And the wall was way higher than myself as well. So if the walls wouldn't let any shoots through, I wouldn't have been shot.

I had some glitcher before, but that one was using an obvious lagswitch (the whole gameplay came to a halt every now and then and I even got a double kill because of that, although I was shooting with a assault rifle, I guess the lagswitcher was the host of the game). And no, this wasn't normal lag, the lag strangely happened everytime that someone shot people down.

Is there some known glitch for shooting through walls? Or are the walls supposed to let a few shots through?

I was hiding behind one (and wasn't even near the edge, so no way anyone could have hit me). Still I was shot down by a RAOW. I was also hiding behind there for 10-20 seconds, so it couldn't be lag either. And the wall was way higher than myself as well. So if the walls wouldn't let any shoots through, I wouldn't have been shot.
Only thing I can think of is that your head or foot were slightly exposed. That's usually enough to get shot at.

jimi_dini

Only thing I can think of is that your head or foot were slightly exposed. That's usually enough to get shot at.

And in my case this definitely didn't happen. Like I said, I wasn't even near the corner, because I know that you are slightly exposed there (level 50 already, got almost all of the challenges done).

That guy used a RAOW sniper and shot around 5 times at the location, where I would have been slightly exposed. This made me move even more into the opposite direction. I thought that he expected me to move there, so he shot without seeing me just in case I tried to peek and shoot. Then it seemed like he was shooting at the wall directly. I thought wtf is he doing, this doesn't make sense. And after 5 shots or so, where nothing happened at all like expected, I fell over, bleeding out. Had a medkit with me, so I patched myself up. It made no sense to me at all.

There were even a total of 3 railings between us as well. So he must have shot me somehow through the wall. If the game only had replays like Uncharted 2/3...

What an awesome game. I only saw a trailer where robots were shot to pieces and this sold me on the game already. But the overall game is really impressive. Great graphics, great gunplay, good characters, decent conversations, nice and original story with twists. I really loved it.
Got the ending with only two (one human) team members dead in the end
and I thought it was better than the real good one. I doubt but hope there will be a sequel. It's a shame those great games fall under the radar this gen all the time. It was the same for Saboteur :(

spuit*11

Banned
So I just beat this on PC and I have to say it's probably (one of) my favourite games of the year thus far.

I dig pretty much everything about it. The characters and banter, the robots and the way you have to fight them, the artstyle, looks great and runs even better. Goddamn this is alright.

It's unfortunate if it didn't sell well because I really wouldn't mind seeing more of this.

I am so glad i played this. I would have never thought this when i played the demo months ago.

What a complete surprise. The production values, story, and gameplay are far above what i expected. I guess having low expectations and this game flying so so far under the radar of most everyone outside of threads like these on a few forums had a big part in it. I honestly thought this game would be a joke after the first trailer.

The shooting in this game is so fucking satisfying. Shooting off armor and shredding through their bodies feels so dam good. It might have even passed RAGE for me in that regard.

I beat it today and am actually very sad it bombed as hard as it did because i would love a sequel. Alas, tell your mother i loved her.

I've been thinking about replaying this, but a question before I do. Is there really any point in most of the weaponry you pick up? Seems like upgrading Dan's rifle makes most other things you pick up effectively obsolete.

I've been thinking about replaying this, but a question before I do. Is there really any point in most of the weaponry you pick up? Seems like upgrading Dan's rifle makes most other things you pick up effectively obsolete.

well sure some can save you from a tough spot but they are mainly for your own enjoyment and if you get bored firing the basic rifle.

pretty much the same as Vanquish, basic rifle is far superior to anything else when upgraded.

Top Bottom