• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Binge watching is the best way to get an accurate assessment of a show

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Some shows are really made with the expectation you watch episodes a week apart, and not binge watch them. It really does highlight the weaknesses of some popular shows (Like the original DBZ pacing goes from a joke to unbearable), and some shows are a lot better when you can binge them, then watching 1 episode a week (Can't think of any names off hand though).

Seesaw15

Binge watching is a terrible way to gauge quality. You end up speeding past the "boring bits" and grading on a curve for most things.

I'm guilty of binging, but it doesn't give the viewer time to digest. Cliffhangers aren't cliffhangers if you get to see the outcome 30 seconds later.
I personally think cliffhangers are a cheap storytelling tactic.
Sure but who is going to share any theories online the day of release, say about who the bad guy really is like in Westworld, when you can just watch a few more episodes and get the answer.
100% agreed but isn't that more of a relic of the old school tv format that hasn't completely died yet?

Some shows are really made with the expectation you watch episodes a week apart, and not binge watch them. It really does highlight the weaknesses of some popular shows (Like the original DBZ pacing goes from a joke to unbearable), and some shows are a lot better when you can binge them, then watching 1 episode a week (Can't think of any names off hand though).

House of Cards is definitely better when binged. Too much time between episode and you start to notice all the flaws.

Binge watching is a terrible way to gauge quality. You end up speeding past the "boring bits" and grading on a curve for most things.
Depends on the viewer and the type of show. I just binged Wet Hot 10 Years Later in 3 sittings. I really don't think I missed anything.

Now that some bring DBZ, and anime in general, that is only 23 minutes per episode. That's a strong argument against binge watching as a fair assessment, since it lets you overlook all manner of pacing issues.

if a show had full episodes where nothing happened and then you watch that as 20 minutes where nothing happened in a string of continues episodes it certainly lets you score the show better.

100% agreed but isn't that more of a relic of the old school tv format that hasn't completely died yet?

It is dying, but every now and then you get a show where half of the fun comes from seeing people come up with the weirdest theories about it. It doesn't elevate the show (and it would be reviewed the same), but gives you additional fun. Say if Stranger Things was released like that, the internet would have generated a ton of hilarious stuff.

Only 2 things I binged watched that were not meant to binge watch was Breaking Bad and Star Wars.

The last season of BB felt terrible without real time passing, and Ep 6 felt like there was no sense of time passing and Luke's suddenly a master jedi knight.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
It's my preferred way of watching shows but I have to disagree. With some shows it's good to have some time to digest the episode you just watched before immediately moving on to the next one.

In retrospect it means nothing but a show like Lost is a good example of wanting to have some time between episodes to think about what you saw.

AudioEppa

I like both ways.

Some shows I gotta watch right away to avoid spoilers like with TWD, Some I try holding off a week or longer to have myself a mini marathon like I do with Gotham, Ballers, FTWD.

Then there is a rare occasion with a show like Supernatural. I watched the show from week to week for 5 years. Then stopped watching all together. Last year I Netflix'd 11 seasons in about 2 weeks. I'm currently two full seasons behind. I'll continue whenever I feel like it lol

I'm very particular about what TV shows I watch. A lot doesn't interest me, Some others I just take a while to jump in.

Seesaw15

Depends on the viewer and the type of show. I just binged Wet Hot 10 Years Later in 3 sittings. I really don't think I missed anything.

Sure binge watching 8 episodes of a 30 minute comedy is fine. But binging 63 hours of Game of Thrones or 62 hours of Breaking bad in a short period of time is not the best way to judge a show. As serialized as television is each episode has to have room to breathe and that's hard to do when you're barreling towards the finish line.

I tend not to binge watch as it makes things blur together.

It really depends on the type of show. If one is completely arc based and continues into eachother like Game of Thrones then binge watching is preferable but if it's semi-serialised or episodic, I prefer to watch 1 or 2 episodes at a time to properly absorb it and take each episode as its own narrative rather than as a big story.

I feel like most TV is heading towards being more arc based with the rise of streaming services. When you can reliably say that any potential audience member has a way to catch up on the material if they're interested in your show, you don't scare away from drawn out plots so easily. At least not compared to just a couple of decades ago.

The I could see the argument for binging being more accurate but not necessarily more enjoyable. You'd definitely notice the flaws more and I can think of a lot of things I like that I'd hate if I had binged them on first viewing.

Coolluck

Binging is an awful way to watch narrative-driven content. Moments have less impact when you just move right on to the next episode.

Binging is best suited for goofy comedies.

I prefer binging when a season is over, but I wouldn't necessarily say it's the best way to watch and accurately assess a show. You end up missing a lot of nuance and things blur together because you're just powering through one after the other. Plus, sometimes being part of the cultural zeitgeist as episodes are airing is part of the fun. I only got into Game of Thrones about this time last year and season 7 was the first I watched as it aired. I feel like you can better analyse the pacing and character developments when you're forced to wait between episodes.

prag16

Banned
(Game of Thrones)
How dumb the faceless man shapeshifting thing is in GoT when they are literally just putting on a cut off face but yet somehow changes physical build,voice, hair color, etc.

I just chalked this up to some kind of magic/mystical shit being involved. Because yeah otherwise it makes no sense.

emag

b5894a1a2a71aecf545d58993c85273b--watch-one-my-husband.jpg

I think it helps to have some time to digest the episodes and cool off for series that thrive on suspense or narrative. Comedies are another matter.

b5894a1a2a71aecf545d58993c85273b--watch-one-my-husband.jpg

I think it helps to have some time to digest the episodes and cool off for series that thrive on suspense or narrative. Comedies are another matter.

LOL! BSG was actually a show that I really enjoyed watching live. I would listen to the podcasts in between episodes which helped my understading and appreciate for every episode especially over the long breaks between seasons and writer strikes. I wonder if my love for the show would be different is my first exposure was binge mode?

norm9

I'm so done with binge-watching. Probably the biggest waste of time I've ever engaged in.

I agree with this. Sometimes I plow through a show that I don't enjoy because "it gets better later" ie Sons of Anarchy and Strike Back, and then it turns out I wasted five hours and it still isn't better.

With watching individual episodes, I can make an informed decision based on those one or two that I've seen and now have a better chance of watching something else I'll like trememndously more ie Six Feet Under.

I agree with this. Sometimes I plow through a show that I don't enjoy because "it gets better later" ie Sons of Anarchy and Strike Back, and then it turns out I wasted five hours and it still isn't better.

With watching individual episodes, I can make an informed decision based on those one or two that I've seen and now have a better chance of watching something else I'll like trememndously more ie Six Feet Under.
I ain't got time to watch a show I don't like. So many shows, if I don't like it after 2-3 episodes I'm out. I've also dumped shows I've seen quite a few seasons like House or The US Office where the quality declines significantly.

Neece

I've noticed that when I binge watch shows, I don't learn all of the character names and all of the episodes and seasons blur together. Like I've watched Orange is the New Black every season and can barely name 10 characters. I end up calling people "the crazy christian heroine girl" or "the fat gay cop" or whatever. And I find it hard to remember the difference between season 3 and 4.

I really enjoyed Stranger Things season 1. Watched it all on a Saturday and didn't discuss it with anyone or read reviews. And going into season 2, I don't remember anyones name except Eleven and Barb.

But when I watch week by week, and more importantly discuss the episode with people, then I end up knowing everyone's names and can more thoughtfully discuss specific episodes, seasons, and plot/character arcs, even months or years after the I saw it.

I can easily rattle off the names of the characters from something like Insecure, because I watch week by week, listen to a podcast of it week by week, and discuss it week by week. I just can't do that with shows I binge.

Fatalah

Love watching at my own pace. Master of None Season 2 took me months to get through.

It's nice having something to look forward to after a long work day.

In terms of weekly shows, I love listening to post episode podcasts. It's part of the experience!

overcast

Personally I dislike binging all the epaidoes and try to avoid that if I can. That being said it happens for me plenty of times.

Most fun I've had this year with shows were Twin Peaks and GoT due to the week by week structure. That being said I've binged like 5-6 other shows some of which were great.

norm9

I ain't got time to watch a show I don't like. So many shows, if I don't like it after 2-3 episodes I'm out. I've also dumped shows I've seen quite a few seasons like House or The US Office where the quality declines significantly.

Sure. I just think if you have the mentality of binge watching something, you're more likely to be forgiving and to soldier on as oppose to just dropping it after the first episode if you're sampling different shows. But not always of course.

I feel like most TV is heading towards being more arc based with the rise of streaming services. When you can reliably say that any potential audience member has a way to catch up on the material if they're interested in your show, you don't scare away from drawn out plots so easily. At least not compared to just a couple of decades ago.

I think it’s the opposite. We already have arc based tv, we always did. Streaming first shows have put emphasis on singular plots that need to be stretched into “14 hour movies” and it’s beginning to get some back lash. Shows written that way are constantly running into pacing issues.

Binge watching is entirely dependent on the genre of the show. It can be good and it be glaringly bad.

The correct way to watch a show is as it airs. If you wait until even the day after an episode or season airs you are late to the party and have no ability to comprehend the original context the show aired in. No exceptions.

tv would be better if we lived in a world where everyone had access to watch it at whatever pace they want

marketing shows to people who haven't watched the prerequisite backstory limits the potential

expecting people to remember everything after a 9-month break every year limits the potential

i guess binging is slightly better to 'assess' it since you're less likely to forget the plot during a multi-month intermission. but shows are so dumbed down already (because of commercial broadcast realities), that it's usually unnecessary

I disagree. You don't get as much out of it when you just go right to the next one.

Started Rick and Morty in July. Saw it once, pretty good, watched again "damn this is great" watched high "holy fuck this is amazing" watched on acid: GOAT tv show.

Now I'm watching season 3 week to week and it's great. You get so into it and watching live with everyone is awesome. Watching episode 307 live was fucking amazing, and then I had a week to digest it instead of just going straight to the next one.

For shallow shows like a sitcom or something it can be preferable to just watch 10 episodes in a sitting. But for really good shows I think it's better to have the week to reflect on them. I didn't fully appreciate R&M season 1&2 until I had seen them several times. I imagine the same thing would've happened if I watched Breaking Bad in the course of a week.

I recently binge watched all of GoT in a little over a month and before that I did the same thing with Breaking Bad. Two shows that are widely regarded as some of the best ever (especially the latter). It got me thinking that I was able to much more honestly assess the merits and pitfalls of the shows. Absent the week to week hype and insane theories that go along with waiting for the next episode you can just focus on enjoying the ride.

So what do you prefer GAF? Getting caught up in the hype and discussing minutiae for 6 days or just immersing yourself in a show with no distractions then decompressing afterwards?

So wait, let me get this straight. The only reason you say that binge watching is superior is because of the discussion board hype? You do realize you can just ignore the fan discussion and focus only on the show on a week-to-week basis?

Not to mention, I find binge watching poor because you end up glossing over the details of an episode just to rush to the next plot point (anecdotally, I find people who do this keep asking "dumb" plot questions that they should have known).

tv would be better if we lived in a world where everyone had access to watch it at whatever pace they want

marketing shows to people who haven't watched the prerequisite backstory limits the potential

expecting people to remember everything after a 9-month break every year limits the potential

i guess binging is slightly better to 'assess' it since you're less likely to forget the plot during a multi-month intermission. but shows are so dumbed down already (because of commercial broadcast realities), that it's usually unnecessary

That's very unrealistic considering production/writing, filming and post-production/editing makes this a total impossibility.

Also, how? at the bolded, because you can always rewatch and refresh yourself on forgotten plot points.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
House of Cards is definitely better when binged. Too much time between episode and you start to notice all the flaws.
It couldn't even save Season 5. Seasons 2 and 3 are good binging. Seasons 1 and 4 are still good without binging.
I've noticed that when I binge watch shows, I don't learn all of the character names and all of the episodes and seasons blur together. Like I've watched Orange is the New Black every season and can barely name 10 characters. I end up calling people "the crazy christian heroine girl" or "the fat gay cop" or whatever. And I find it hard to remember the difference between season 3 and 4.

I really enjoyed Stranger Things season 1. Watched it all on a Saturday and didn't discuss it with anyone or read reviews. And going into season 2, I don't remember anyones name except Eleven and Barb.

But when I watch week by week, and more importantly discuss the episode with people, then I end up knowing everyone's names and can more thoughtfully discuss specific episodes, seasons, and plot/character arcs, even months or years after the I saw it.

I can easily rattle off the names of the characters from something like Insecure, because I watch week by week, listen to a podcast of it week by week, and discuss it week by week. I just can't do that with shows I binge.
Barb and Eleven are the only names I remember too lol!

Love watching at my own pace. Master of None Season 2 took me months to get through.

It's nice having something to look forward to after a long work day.

In terms of weekly shows, I love listening to post episode podcasts. It's part of the experience!
This is just crazy, months for Master of None? Did you do it week-by-week? I did that with 13 Reasons Why tbh.

SomTervo

In my experience, when you binge watch stuff, almost all of it becomes a blur in retrospect.

You remember it so much better if you watch week to week.

So wait, let me get this straight. The only reason you say that binge watching is superior is because of the discussion board hype? You do realize you can just ignore the fan discussion and focus only on the show on a week-to-week basis?

Not to mention, I find binge watching poor because you end up glossing over the details of an episode just to rush to the next plot point (anecdotally, I find people who do this keep asking "dumb" plot questions that they should have known).
No, not the only reason. I personally find myself better able to connect things that happen Episode to Episode. Additionally it's not just message board hype but your own anticipation can over inflate your expectations.
In my experience, when you binge watch stuff, almost all of it becomes a blur in retrospect.

You remember it so much better if you watch week to week.
It's different for me personally. If I watched GoT over 8 years I'd remember jack shit from most of Season 1 without rewatching.

UberLevi

Yeah, I've always been of the mindset that the tribulations people experience with shows between the week long waits is vastly alleviated when it becomes available to watch back to back. A lot of the pacing is fixed simply by being able to move on to the next episode without the real-time anticipation.

Breaking Bad is a good example because every episode is just a stressful climb towards a cliffhanger ending into the next week and watching that during the run was a lot less fulfilling than being able to view them one after the other and immediately learn more. I really enjoyed LOST when I watched it last summer and I even liked Seasons 5 and 6 which it seems a lot of people didn't, but I think the reason I enjoyed it so much more is because I was able to just move on to the next episode, which was especially nice during certain three or four episode runs where it felt like simply nothing was advancing, plot-wise.

This is why I usually wait to buy episode-based games until they're all out. The wait in-between releases can kill a lot of the magic for you.

No, not the only reason. I personally find myself better able to connect things that happen Episode to Episode. Additionally it's not just message board hype but your own anticipation can over inflate your expectations.

Anticipation is a tricky one, the only egregious example I know is Dexter during the 6th season,
after Sam dies, Dexter kills Nick after he admitted to killing him and his Dark Passenger goes from Harry to his brother. Suggesting that he is essentially succumbing to his dark/non-discriminatory killer side.
Promotional materials and trailers made it seem like that was a permanent personality change when it just ended up being a one-episode thing, and that pissed off a lot of people (myself included). Basically what I'm saying is sometimes shows are to blame for baiting people into expecting certain plot points. Stuff like message board hype in comparison, is well within people's control. Though I do see people getting hyped over silly things when the show didn't suggest nor wanted to explore that plot point, and likewise bash shows for not fitting into their vision (Person of Interest for instance tumblr exploded when a certain character dies and people hastily called it gaybashing when the death actually had story reasons for happening, and didn't kill it off just for the sake of sexuality).

I like binging these days. I binged LOST and loved it.

Edit: Basically UberLevi stole what was in my brain so just read his post twice.

JoeM86

I really hope not. Have an overarching narrative, but have things be episodic still. Like The Flash and things akin to that.

Binge watching leads to missing a lot of detail, for me at least. If I don't take time to digest what I saw then a lot of it's gonna just go poof. One or two episodes a day is my Max but I have no problem waiting week to week for the rare show I actually watch at release.

I prefer live, as the discussion is half the fun. That said, it's nice to not have to wait on cliffhangers and stuff.

Worst of both worlds is when a new show drops on Netflix, and people binge all the episodes immediately. Then you enter the thread a day later, and it's just pocked with spoiler bars.

oon

Banned
I needed about a week to fully process each hour of Twin Peaks Season 3 - I think I'd have gotten less out of it had I binged it. It's not something that lives or dies by its plot, but by the emotional resonance of the thing - feelings and thoughts that can percolate for a while between episodes.

If I'm watching a sitcom, then sure. If I'm watching a drama? No more than three episodes a day. And even that's a lot. If I hit an emotional point that hits me hard, then that's it. I'm done for the day.

That said, I don't really dip into show threads anymore. Too toxic. Feels like people are yelling over eachother to get heard and shit. There's no nuanced discourse. Or it gets way too picky and I end up hating the episode I just watched. Only show OT I go into ever is Supernatural. Small, but also fun to talk. There's no anger there like there is with AoS or the CW shows (The Flash and Arrow, specifically).
Still, some crazy shit happened in those threads that was fun to be a part of.

I also avoid streaming series threads (like Marvel Netflix) because I'm not going to waste my time debating someone who watched through a 13 episode series in a day, while I'm still on episode 5 and it's been almost a week. Like, no. Not happening.

I prefer to let things settle. If I'm watching a show just to check it off my list just so I can participate in a discussion that the only reason I'm engaging in it is so I can, well that's just stupid. It's disingenuous and shallow.

Top Bottom