• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BioShock - Official Thread of horror and awesome and draconian DRM for PC gamers

joesmokey

Scrow said:
christ... just read the game informer review.

should i buy a new PC now (8800 GTX) or wait for the 2nd gen of DX10 cards?
nVidia's next cards are coming out in November. You'd honestly be pretty stupid to drop $600 on the 8800gtx with the G92/G90 cards coming out in 3 months (especially if the rumors of the G90 are true).

I'd either get a 360 at this point (if you were planning on getting one eventually) or just play Bioshock at what your computer can handle it until November hits.

Woo-Fu

Banned
joesmokey said:
nVidia's next cards are coming out in November. You'd honestly be pretty stupid to drop $600 on the 8800gtx with the G92/G90 cards coming out in 3 months (especially if the rumors of the G90 are true).

You can get an 8800GTX for $500 before rebate nowadays, or you could go with EVGA and then just use the step-up program.

oldboy1

Banned
Can those same people please tell me if the subs have been fixed in the final game? They don't synch very well in the demo & I've pinned all my hopes on the fact that they've hopefully fixed them.

Duck said:
I'm not positive if this is real or not (or if this has been reposted a bajillion times), but supposedly the BioShock TV ad now says "Available Now".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TteS23xLNS4

Maybe it's because there are people playing this and they're not me, but boy it feels good to say
FlashIsSorry.jpg

(All love, brother.)

:D

madmook

Scrow said:
should i buy a new PC now (8800 GTX) or wait for the 2nd gen of DX10 cards?
I'm in the same boat as you, and I think it would be wiser to wait. Currently, I have a 7900GS that won't max the game out at all, but at least I'll be able to play. By the end of the year, if the rumors pan out we'll be able to get superior (hopefully) 2nd gen DX10 cards (or if they're too expensive, at least the 8800's will be getting some pricedrops). It's win-win to wait.

LJ11

For all the framerate whores out there, there's an option to unlock the framerate at the expensive of visual fidelity. Pretty cool feature for a console game.

Wollan

That's a cool option and I welcome it for experimental reasons.

With that said, this is the best running fps-rpg (what's the latest term?) I've ever seen. There's never ever a hitch in the framerate pulling up menus, messing with items and generally interact. That combined with the excellent interface (in every aspect) makes it a total joy.

DrBo42

LJ11 said:
For all the framerate whores out there, there's an option to unlock the framerate at the expensive of visual fidelity. Pretty cool feature for a console game.

Does the game chug? That would make me sad.

Wollan said:
That's a cool option and I welcome it for experimental reasons.

With that said, this is the best running fps-rpg (what's the latest term?) I've ever seen. There's never ever a hitch in the framerate pulling up menus, messing with items and generally interact. That combined with the excellent interface (in every aspect) makes it a total joy.

...usually refer to the genre as a Hybrid FPS/RPG....like with Deus Ex, Vampire, etc.

...and yeah, really is awesome how much the polished this gem up!

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
LJ11 said:
Available in the options menu?

How is the performance in that mode?

FrankT

LJ11 said:

Yea, I saw that posted by Whiteman last night, pretty cool feature.

LJ11

dark10x said:
Available in the options menu?

How is the performance in that mode?

Yes, it's in the options menu. Runs at a much higher fps at the cost of vsync, tearing out the ass. It actually got me dizzy so I went mack to a locked frame rate

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
LJ11 said:
Yes, it's in the options menu. Runs at a much higher fps at the cost of vsync, tearing out the ass. It actually got me dizzy so I went mack to a locked frame rate

The framerate is good normally?

sitting here at work while Bioshock is sitting in my car, unplayed is killing me. Three more hours! I'm not taking it for granted though, I'm glad I was able to pick one up before the crackdown. To pass the time I'll keep singing beyond the sea in my head, while staring at the clock.

By the way Birdie, love the avatar.

Oh GAWD. Add Joates to the damn list.

Also, horror. Friends List Status Brings Spoilage:

Playing BioShock
Convincing the mad Doctor Steinman to cough up his keys.

*cry cry cry*

so how's the difficulty for this game? Are there options?

I'm not that great with first-person games, although recently I have beaten The Darkness and Resistance.

Basically, for those that are already playing this, does this game keep itself open (challenge-wise) for your average gamer?

TheJollyCorner said:
so how's the difficulty for this game? Are there options?

I'm not that great with first-person games, although recently I have beaten The Darkness and Resistance.

Basically, for those that are already playing this, does this game keep itself open (challenge-wise) for your average gamer?

There's a setting specifically for people who have never played FPSes. They love you.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Eric WK said:
Did you play the demo? It's fine.

I'm on vacation. I set up a video conference with my friend back home so I could watch him play it and give him directives.

Close enough.

BenjaminBirdie said:
There's a setting specifically for people who have never played FPSes. They love you.

for the 360 version?

niiiiice!

My 360 broke down a few days ago, so I am feverishly awaiting my replacement. GAAAH!!!

first thing i'm doing when i get my pc version installed: turning the difficulty all the way up, turning off the object sheen and turning off the objective compass.

pc unique features for the win!

Top Bottom