• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BioShock - Official Thread of horror and awesome and draconian DRM for PC gamers

mrpeabody

CitizenCope said:
Commercials are saying available now, so has it officially been released? I wouldn't mind some impressions.
Just saying.
The release date is 8/21. Today (Wednesday) is 8/15.

edit: I live ten minutes in the future. Please keep it on the down low, I'm really making a bundle in the equity market.

mrpeabody

I keep forgetting about the "take pictures to earn bonuses" mechanic. This is an awesome system that adds fun to every game it's been in: BG&E, Dark Cloud 2, Pokemon Snap, Fatal Frame...am I missing anybody?

It's also a suitable no-inventory replacement for SS2's organ researching. More games need "taking pictures of stuff" as a feature.

joesmokey

Game is just all kinds of amazing.

Can't believe how immersive it is, the artwork and environments are incredibly impressive.

Off to find that damn key card.

joesmokey said:
Game is just all kinds of amazing.

Can't believe how immersive it is, the artwork and environments are incredibly impressive.

Off to find that damn key card.

The combination of your avatar and your luck in life makes me want to hurl a brick to your face.

joesmokey said:
:lol

If it makes you feel any better I have to go into work tomorrow D:

Just answer this question. I don't want any details. Is the start of the game identical to the demo? Is is subtle changes? Or is it totally different?

Thermite

mrpeabody said:
I keep forgetting about the
"take pictures to earn bonuses" mechanic.
This is an awesome system that adds fun to every game it's been in: BG&E, Dark Cloud 2, Pokemon Snap, Fatal Frame...am I missing anybody?

It's also a suitable no-inventory replacement for SS2's organ researching. More games need
"taking pictures of stuff"
as a feature.

fixed, and with that asinine post: I'm out of this thread until next week.

joesmokey

Foreign Jackass said:
Just answer this question. I don't want any details. Is the start of the game identical to the demo? Is is subtle changes? Or is it totally different?
Actually I never played the demo, since I just bought my 360 today when I got the game :lol

/runs

White Man

Foreign Jackass said:

It is
basically the same. You get certain things early, and one of the encounters is slightly different.

Threw tags in even though there's really no spoilers.

teepo

i can't remember the last time ive been this excited for a game. have had this baby on a media blackout since it's debut in that magazine. ss2 is one of my fav games of all time.

White Man said:
It is
basically the same. You get certain things early, and one of the encounters is slightly different.

Threw tags in even though there's really no spoilers.
Don't tell me the way you get the first plasmids is the same. It really made absolutely no sense in the demo.

mrpeabody

Thermite said:
fixed, and with that asinine post: I'm out of this thread until next week.
Oh for crying out loud, I haven't even played the game. The photo thing was in several previews. It's about as spoilery as the existence of plasmids.

mrpeabody said:
I keep forgetting about the "take pictures to earn bonuses" mechanic. This is an awesome system that adds fun to every game it's been in: BG&E, Dark Cloud 2, Pokemon Snap, Fatal Frame...am I missing anybody?

It's also a suitable no-inventory replacement for SS2's organ researching. More games need "taking pictures of stuff" as a feature.

Dead Rising

i like spoiler tagging stuff that shouldn't be spoiler tagged because i know some one out there will highlight it even though he really really doesn't want to, ESPECIALLY if it's a big spoiler tag, then they know it's something really juicy that they REALLY REALLY shouldn't read but they can't resist because they're weak weak people

what's even better is the spoilers that spill into two paragraphs, it gets them excited, like ravenous beast, gets them going.

bjscott05

TemplaerDude said:
i like spoiler tagging stuff that shouldn't be spoiler tagged because i know some one out there will highlight it even though he really really doesn't want to, ESPECIALLY if it's a big spoiler tag, then they know it's something really juicy that they REALLY REALLY shouldn't read but they can't resist because they're weak weak people

what's even better is the spoilers that spill into two paragraphs, it gets them excited, like ravenous beast, gets them going.

:lol :lol

So true. :(

traveler

Not Wario
TemplaerDude said:

:lol :lol :lol

It's true. I can't help myself. :(

Bildi

TemplaerDude said:

I am SO glad that wasn't a spoiler - I can't help myself! :lol

I just saw screens of this game now for the first time, and holy smokes it's gorgeous! Question: What are the known differences between the PC and 360 versions?

dejay

Banned
Naked Snake said:
I just saw screens of this game now for the first time, and holy smokes it's gorgeous! Question: What are the known differences between the PC and 360 versions?

Well, we know the 360 version plays, looks and sounds like a dream - PC gamers will have to wait for the demo to drop before they know, but it's looking good. Play wise there are no differences.

syllogism

There are differences, for example the hacking minigame was retooled for mouse and apparently enemies are slightly harder. Graphically it will look somewhat better on a high end pc and some DX10 features are supported.

MMaRsu

Banned
When the hell are the big sites gonna review this game???

It's already being sold, so why can I not look at the Gametrailers.com review, or read some good reviews online?

Not that I need confirmation that this game is made of pure AWESOME, but just for fun.

Second game I've pre-ordered without actually owning a 360 (first was Halo 3). That's $240 (£120) on collectors editions and nothing to play them on... yet. Would have got this on PC but I'm waiting for the second gen DX10 cards before upgrading my machine.

Eric WK

MMaRsu said:
When the hell are the big sites gonna review this game???

It's already being sold, so why can I not look at the Gametrailers.com review, or read some good reviews online?

Not that I need confirmation that this game is made of pure AWESOME, but just for fun.

The embargoes are up late Monday night. Pending what happens today about the street date breaking, maybe they'll remove the embargo.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I finally had the chance to play the game last night (just the demo) and was as blown away as everyone else.

Initially, I was disappointed by the simplification of certain things, but when you sit back and think about it, the inventory management (among others things) was NOT the reason I loved Shock 2 so much.

Right now, my only concern is the focus on combat. I love the combat mechanics, don't get me wrong, but between the demo itself and the video bit at the end, it just seems to be filled with combat. Hopefully the player is not flooded with enemies throughout the game. The opening segments were so atmospheric and I want to see such instances again.

Still, when you play this game while thinking back to similar games in the genre, you realize just how amazing this truly is. The world is incredibly compelling and I can't wait to experience all of it. It's also nice to experience a game like this without a single technical hitch (though, to be fair, the Dark Engine never really had issues - I'm thinking more of stuff like Deus Ex and Vampire Bloodlines)

As a Shock fan, the atmosphere felt just as I would expect. The journal entries, the voice overs from Atlas, etc etc. All very Shock. I certainly hope the game allows for unique characters paths, though. I noticed a selection of slots available when picking up plasmids, however, so I hope that comes into play. I also hope the player is limited in how many weapons they can carry (perhaps they are).

Psychotext said:
Second game I've pre-ordered without actually owning a 360 (first was Halo 3). That's $240 (£120) on collectors editions and nothing to play them on... yet. Would have got this on PC but I'm waiting for the second gen DX10 cards before upgrading my machine.

You sir, are the reason we are all here. Bravo.

Variable

Damn, I really want to try out the PC demo to see how it will run. I would rather play it on my quiet PC then my noisy Xbox, especially since they are both hooked up to my PC monitor.

How big is the PC demo and where can I download it from?

I can't believe I'm doing this, I haven't been interested in a PC game in forever.

Double D

MrCompletely said:
Is the search for early Bioshock getting back into swing? focus people!

I'll be storming my local TRU at approximately 1200 hours. Debriefing after mid-day rations fully consumed.

Tieno said:
:( Gameinformer ruins the perfect storm.
I may be wrong... but didn't the main reviewer and second opinion reviewer both give it a 10? That seems like a continuation of the perfect storm.

[Edit... I feel I may have just been run over by the sarcasm truck] :lol

Tieno

Psychotext said:
I may be wrong... but didn't the main reviewer and second opinion reviewer both give it a 10? That seems like a continuation of the perfect storm.

edit: saw your edit. :p

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
christ... just read the game informer review.

should i buy a new PC now (8800 GTX) or wait for the 2nd gen of DX10 cards?

Top Bottom