• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BioWare Montreal's Studio Director talks about the next Mass Effect

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Eh, I like the idea above: say nuts to canon endings, and sit comfortably with the Reapers dead and gone, the Geth and everyone still around, all in a post-ME3 universe. Doesn't need to make sense. Doesn't need to pander to the already muddled narrative end of the trilogy. Give yourself some grounding, ignore most of the past (except the rooted canon), and make a new story.

Patryn

It's hard to get excited for this next installment when it's going to be made by the folks who did Omega and Arrival.

And they won't even specify when this game is going to happen?

We don't even know the dates or official timeframe for Dragon Age 3, and that's coming out well before the next Mass Effect.

But if you want to hazard a guess, think 2015.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
It's hard to get excited for this next installment when it's going to be made by the folks who did Omega and Arrival.

And they won't even specify when this game is going to happen?

Arrival was made when Montreal was still a very small (inexperienced?) studio. They've grown bigger since then and will grow again since they have to make a full game now rather than a DLC that can be completed in one hour. And Omega only downsides are the price and not enough breaks between combat to relax and talk to people. But again, this is probably mostly due to the situation on Omega than anything else. There wasn't much time to relax and talk on Thessia either until we reached the temple for example because of shit blowing up left and right.

Eh, I like the idea above: say nuts to canon endings, and sit comfortably with the Reapers dead and gone, the Geth and everyone still around, all in a post-ME3 universe. Doesn't need to make sense. Doesn't need to pander to the already muddled narrative end of the trilogy. Give yourself some grounding, ignore most of the past (except the rooted canon), and make a new story.

I could live with that. I think if they do end up picking an ending, the obvious choice is destroy, simply because it is the only one that new players could immediately and easily pick up on. Even in this event, I feel like it's pretty easy to write the geth back in with some surviving programs from one of their deep space installations between stars, and far from the mass relay network. All of this could be little more than a paragraph in the codex, and boom, you've got your clean slate.

Bisnic

I could live with that. I think if they do end up picking an ending, the obvious choice is destroy, simply because it is the only one that new players could immediately and easily pick up on. Even in this event, I feel like it's pretty easy to write the geth back in with some surviving programs from one of their deep space installations between stars, and far from the mass relay network. All of this could be little more than a paragraph in the codex, and boom, you've got your clean slate.

That or Quarians making new Geths after realizing they could be allies and live together after the Rannoch war.

Hindle

Banned
They'll probably follow Star Treks lead and call it Mass Effect: Next Generation or Mass Effect: A New Age.

Edit: anything with a sub title.

You're right in a sense. Most of the people who are still ME fans don't care about good writing or stories anyway so Bioware can just put whatever out.

gee thanks for insulting me for liking the ME series. I forget this is gaming where if you like Mass Effect it's okay for people to freely insult you.

velociraptor

Mass Effect 2 was the best game in the series, although I liked the improved gameplay mechanics of ME3.

Just copy Mass Effect 2, and everything will be fine.

And please, no prequels.

Mass Effect 2 was the best game in the series, although I liked the improved gameplay mechanics of ME3.

Just copy Mass Effect 2, and everything will be fine.

And please, no prequels.

ME3 has dumbed down gameplay mechanics. I wouldn't use the term "improved" when speaking of ME3 anywhere.

Bazza

Not to mention Javik is a completely unlikable bastard.

I dunno i thought he was OK, to be honest how friendly would you be if you were the last human alive after being frozen for 50,000 years not to mention before being frozen being on the losing side of a war spanning hundreds of years.

Nekofrog

Banned
That doesn’t mean that events of the first three games and the choices you made won’t get recognized, but they likely won’t be what this new story will focus on.

OH BOY because we all know they certainly didn't matter at the end of ME3.

also, please no prequel shit. hate prequels, we know how it ends.

I could get behind this, if only because i'd like a repeat of ME1 with the Geth as the main enemy again.

You know, back when it was an RPG and before the entire series went to shit.

Oh boy. Here we go.

For the record, ME1 fan here.

Oh brother. Now we'll hear it... ME2 fan here. I think we can all agree to disagree. You like Makos, I like interesting squadmate backstory. You like exploring planets, I like having a button for cover. It's okay.

I dunno i thought he was OK, to be honest how friendly would you be if you were the last human alive after being frozen for 50,000 years not to mention before being frozen being on the losing side of a war spanning hundreds of years.

This is true, and he did slightly warm up to Shepard at the end.

Bisnic

ME3 has dumbed down gameplay mechanics. I wouldn't use the term "improved" when speaking of ME3 anywhere.

How exactly is ME3 gameplay dumbed down from ME2? They added roll/dodge, heavy melee, brought back the gun mods of ME1, added gun weights to affect global cooldown of powers, made powers much more customizable than before, made enemies more unique to add a little variety...

How exactly is THAT dumbed down?

Bazza

Oh brother. Now we'll hear it... ME2 fan here. I think we can all agree to disagree. You like Makos, I like squadmate backstory. It's okay.

This is true, and he did slightly warm up to Shepard at the end.

He had quite a dark sense of humor i liked as well.

Toa TAK

Banned
We don't even know the dates or official timeframe for Dragon Age 3, and that's coming out well before the next Mass Effect.

But if you want to hazard a guess, think 2015.

I forgot about DAIII. I hope it's better than the predecessor.

Arrival was made when Montreal was still a very small (inexperienced?) studio. They've grown bigger since then and will grow again since they have to make a full game now rather than a DLC that can be completed in one hour. And Omega only downsides are the price and not enough breaks between combat to relax and talk to people. But again, this is probably mostly due to the situation on Omega than anything else. There wasn't much time to relax and talk on Thessia either until we reached the temple for example because of shit blowing up left and right.

It still doesn't excuse it from being flat. Everything from the new enemy, characters (yes, even Aria), and choices were dull. It was more combat DLC, and I didn't buy ME for combat. The combat got old after awhile.

The music was good, though.

Not to mention Javik is a completely unlikable bastard.

No way, he was an ass, yes, but he was awesome because of that insight he gave and that whole "fish out of water" situation he has going for him.

Primitive.

Ocellatus

Neo Member
Mass Effect: Negative

During the Final battle of ME3, a secret group of scientists figured out time travel and sent a Ship back in time to the cycle that preceded the Shepard Saga. Gameplay revolves around defeating the reapers in the past to stop the devastation in the present. The main character does not know if the reapers won or not.

2 possible endings.

Fail (Bad ending) and the cycle ends as it did originally prior to ME1

Succeed (Good ending) and the reapers are destroyed but the space faring races of the time are also destroyed which still leads to the rise of the ME1 timeline races.

This leads to......

Mass Effect: Reboot

Starts where the original game began, with Shepard being picked to become the first human specter. However, with no reaper threat, the focus becomes exploration, with each game in the series revealing a self contained mystery to solve. Some games feature Shepard and some feature other main characters such as Garrus or Ashley.

Perhaps the various adventures eventually uncovers that the reapers were somehow holding dark energy in check and without them, the galaxy is in danger of collapse. Shepard and crew (or someone else entirely) has to travel to dark space to search for clues that may save the galaxy.......

Bisnic

It still doesn't excuse it from being flat. Everything from the new enemy, characters (yes, even Aria), and choices were dull. It was more combat DLC, and I didn't buy ME for combat. The combat got old after awhile.

The music was good, though.

Aria was being Aria. Didn't see much changes from her. She still talk like she doesn't give a shit about anyone, just like ME2 and just like ME3 before the DLC.
The choices were your typical ME choices. If you think they were dull... well i guess you think all ME choices are usually dull then.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
While I'm excited for any Mass Effect news I can't say I'm happy with the pivoting away from the original trilogy. Sounds like they want to distance themselves from the ending as much as possible. As well there shouldn't be any talk of any kind of prequel or midquel because that is just dumb and counter productive. Nothing interesting happens then and the end of the series kind of dominates everything.

I can't say I want a direct sequel to ME trilogy. I want new ideas, game systems and narrative but I don't want it to just gloss over the events of the original series, but rather to face then had on. The EC has already done a lot to smooth a great deal of that stuff over with the retconning of the mass relays, but the galaxy is pretty messed up and it would be nice if that played a role and was built upon and developed for the next game. Dealing with the legacy of the Reaper conflict and all it's fallout even 100 years after. I will be really disappointed if it just ends up with everything returning to normal without much trouble or conflict.

ME 2 and 3 are 2 of my favorite games this gen. I am so excited to see a new game of more powerful consoles. I really hope that mp is their main focus going forward. ME 3 has the best mp mode of any game this gen, so I cant wait to see what they can do with it going forward. For the sp I really hope we get to pick who we play through the game as. I want to play as a Drell for sure. I am also really happy that they are getting away from the choices carrying over nonsense. That sounded good on paper but really pigeon-holed in practice.

Moaradin

No, the shooting is improved from ME1 and 2 and the RPG stuff is only improved from 2, but still downgraded heavily from 1. As is the exploration.

The only thing I would give to ME1 is the exploration, even if it was just copy pasted worlds. The skill system in ME3 is better than the one in ME1. Fewer meaningful choices > +1% damage any time of the week. The mod system was good too.

Patryn

Is this even going to make 360/PS3? With new consoles looming, hard to say.

Given that Dragon Age 3 is all-but-confirmed to be next gen, I highly, highly doubt that they've ever considered having ME4 be on the 360/PS3. It's next gen all the way.

Ocellatus

Neo Member
ME 2 and 3 are 2 of my favorite games this gen. I am so excited to see a new game of more powerful consoles. I really hope that mp is their main focus going forward. ME 3 has the best mp mode of any game this gen, so I cant wait to see what they can do with it going forward. For the sp I really hope we get to pick who we play through the game as. I want to play as a Drell for sure. I am also really happy that they are getting away from the choices carrying over nonsense. That sounded good on paper but really pigeon-holed in practice.

Not sure why you would want Multiplayer to be the main focus. We already have Call of Doody and Battlefield for that. In Fact, part of what makes the MP in ME3 so compelling is the rich lore created by the single player games and how the MP missions have a sense of urgency because of the way they are portrayed as being a part of the war. Aside from that, MP is not why Mass Effect is popular and going down that path would likely decimate the fan base even more than the original ME3 ending did.

"Shepard is dead."
"BUT.... we cloned his DNA before he died.
"So here's your new hero : Not-Shepard-but-still-Shepard"
I honestly hope this is the case. Cerberus rebuilt her, why not someone else?

I just love Shepard.

btw so glad this won't be an MMO.

emag

I fail to see the point, everyone knows how that ends.

So what?

Everyone watching any real-world historical piece knows how it ends, too. That doesn't stop the crowds from lining up to see The Sound of Music or Titanic or Lincoln. Heck, it's pretty easy to predict the general ending of most media, be they games, books or movies.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
So what?

Everyone watching any real-world historical piece knows how it ends, too. That doesn't stop the crowds from lining up to see The Sound of Music or Titanic or Lincoln. Heck, it's pretty easy to predict the general ending of most media, be they games, books or movies.

It's different when you are an active participant, especially the most important participant, as well as the actual events being quite different. The Reaper conflict was kind of a big deal and should have dramatic affects on the entire known galaxy. So it kind of makes whatever little side story they come up with seem rather meaningless since the Reaper conflict kinda killed off half the galaxy.

I think most people would prefer a sequel that tries some new stuff and expands on the galaxy post ME3 and gives bioware time to properly plan out the next trilogy. A sort of bridge between that advances the main series narrative but still provides a story of its own.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Yes please.

Make it more ME1 like. More about exploring. Screw the big Reaper story. Make it Star Trek like, going and exploring uncharted worlds.
This makes me wonder why there isn't a Star Trek RPG using the ME gameplay structure. Focus less on combat and more on dialogue, exploration, and add ship combat, and it's a winner.

Bisnic

But can you sleep with her?

Only if you're the father of her Ardat-Yakshi daughters.

What I'd like is for the MP to be improved even more, and for the single player to take some major cues from it. Those MP maps were better missions than anything I encountered in the 16 or so hours I put into ME3 SP. The base game had a design sensibility that felt like running on a pretty space treadmill.

As much as i like the MP mode of ME3, how exactly is "take that bag back to the extraction zone" better than "defend the turian while he disarm the bomb on Tuchanka"?

Izick

I've been playing through ME 3 for the first time and I have to say even though it's not perfect, it's still a fantastic game.

I really hope they just keep the next one an RPG, and they play up some of the RPG elements a bit more. I don't know if it's because I started playing it right after finishing up Planescape: Torment and The Walking Dead, but I really hope they eliminate the whole 1 clear good/1 clear bad choice mechanics, especially when it comes to dialogue. It's just trite and fucking boring at this point. When I know all I have to do is lean the left stick up and slam on the A button to get the dialogue choice I want every time is boring.

Just give some more choice and eliminate the black and white stuff.

Top Bottom