• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bioware responds to Mass Effect 3 ending controversy

bhlaab

I've seen a few apologists saying the ending is intentionally vague because we're supposed to use our imaginations. But if the only way to get an ending is to use our imaginations and figure it out ourselves, why bother playing ME3 (or ME2 or ME1) in the first place?

There isn't a thing about it that is vague. What's not to get?

inf3cti0n

Banned
I just "finished" the game about an hour ago. after the ending , I went to youtube to see the other ending.

I am a big supporter of DLC for games where said DLC adds hours of gameply, in this case i am NOT.

This "ending" is nonesense. I chose a play style and in the end it means nothing? and the outcome
is the same either way?
Did I miss something?

Derrick01

Banned
I just "finished" the game about an hour ago. after the ending , I went to youtube to see the other ending.

I am a big supporter of DLC for games where said DLC adds hours of gameply, in this case i am NOT.

This "ending" is nonesense. I chose a play style and in the end it means nothing? and the outcome
is the same either way?
Did I miss something?

Nope. You should come over to the spoiler/support group thread. Here's a pre-emptive Welcome!

You didn't miss anything though. It's as bad as what you saw.

is the same either way?
Did I miss something?
Welcome. The hugs aren't free anymore

Kaako

Felium Defensor

is the same either way?
Did I miss something?
Lol that is exactly what I did as well and yea...dat ending is ass.

Replicant

is the same either way?
Did I miss something?

We're running out of hugs. Apologies.

Tajin

Banned

is the same either way?
Did I miss something?

Marauder Shields.

If you have any questions about the endings, it can be answered by any of these four answers: Space Magic, Speculation, artistic integrity, or lolBioware.

I really hope people don't go too out of whack with yelling at Bioware due to "ARTISTIC INTEGRITY!!!!!!!11" until we hear more about what they are doing. For all we know they could just be patching in some more dialogue that was cut out, that helps explain the plot kerfuffle a bit more or they could just be making a video that shows a little bit more on where the state of the galaxy is at at the end. It doesnt seem likely that they will patch out the entire ending replacing it with something radically different... people should just chill, for now.

danwarb

is the same either way?
Did I miss something?
The ending was
almost the same either way
, but the game was different, which is fair enough I think.

I really hope people don't go too out of whack with yelling at Bioware due to "ARTISTIC INTEGRITY!!!!!!!11" until we hear more about what they are doing. For all we know they could just be patching in some more dialogue that was cut out, that helps explain the plot kerfuffle a bit more or they could just be making a video that shows a little bit more on where the state of the galaxy is at at the end. It doesnt seem likely that they will patch out the entire ending replacing it with something radically different... people should just chill, for now.

Hopefully this is what they'll be doing. I don't want a different ending, but for this one to make a little more sense.

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
Ok, I'm a bit late but I finally finished this trilogy. Wow, the ending really sucks lol. Apart from the choices leading more or less all to the same ending, I really thought the synthesis' one came out of nowhere. Plus, the cutscene direction is so boring most of the times that didn't make any emotional impact on me. I'm just curious to know where this "controversy" lies... because all I've seen is a bad ending with bad cutscene direction and flat conclusion. Can someone explain to me if there's something more to it for fans to rage on Bioware so much?

Eusis

Can someone explain to me if there's something more to it for fans to rage on Bioware so much?
The fact that bad ending took just over 4 years and 3 games to reach, and possibly $180+ spent if bought at launch, and that's if they went for SEs rather than CEs. Well, and about everyone else seeing those endings, then seeing the other endings, and voicing their disappointment in what amounted to a giant echo chamber inflated all of our frustrations.

No, seriously, watch the other endings, you'll be twice as disappointed afterwards. Do it through Youtube if you don't have a save right before the choice still, it'll sting less that way than replaying the last two stages for it.

Hero

Ok, I'm a bit late but I finally finished this trilogy. Wow, the ending really sucks lol. Apart from the choices leading more or less all to the same ending, I really thought the synthesis' one came out of nowhere. Plus, the cutscene direction is so boring most of the times that didn't make any emotional impact on me. I'm just curious to know where this "controversy" lies... because all I've seen is a bad ending with bad cutscene direction and flat conclusion. Can someone explain to me if there's something more to it for fans to rage on Bioware so much?

The ME3 spoiler thread is in community now and people still discuss the endings.

If you truly want to rage, take a look at a Tumblr I started after I beat the game to collect and share funny/amusing/smh type things.

http://masseffect3-ending-flavors.tumblr.com/

The fact that bad ending took just over 4 years and 3 games to reach, and possibly $180+ spent if bought at launch, and that's if they went for SEs rather than CEs. Well, and about everyone else seeing those endings, then seeing the other endings, and voicing their disappointment in what amounted to a giant echo chamber inflated all of our frustrations.

No, seriously, watch the other endings, you'll be twice as disappointed afterwards. Do it through Youtube if you don't have a save right before the choice still, it'll sting less that way than replaying the last two stages for it.

I think the biggest problem was that the lied about it, saying that it wasn't just a multiple choice ending, that your decisions would actually matter, all while designing the shitty multiple choice ending where your decisions had absolutely no impact.

Eusis

I think the biggest problem was that the lied about it, saying that it wasn't just a multiple choice ending, that your decisions would actually matter, all while designing the shitty multiple choice ending where your decisions had absolutely no impact.
This admittedly IS a reason I try not to too seriously follow the leadup to release if I'm set on a game (and sometimes if not). They're always going to hype up their games as super amazing, and I honestly get annoyed at how over excited the likes of Joystiq and Kotaku can be. I think it was Halo 3 that fully pushed me into this camp actually, why was there so much damn commotion about what the X button did?

I don't think Bioware even remotely understands how much an alternate DLC ending will backfire. They hyped the games from the get-go that each game in the trilogy will change according to how you play. The people you helped, the people you kill, the party you kept, the party that died. All these things would come together in the Mass Effect 3 climax. People fell into this, bought the games, put countless of hours in the entire trilogy and in the end they were left with a box of cereal.

Riggs

Banned
784667479_1103286.gif

Fuk wit me now!

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
I don't think Bioware even remotely understands how much an alternate DLC ending will backfire. .

I don't really think this game needs an "alternate ending", but more of an extended ending. I wanna see what really happened to the whole crew, their new lives. I want to see how Shepard (if dead) will be remembered in future. I wanna see celebrations taking place and the galaxy moving on without relays or with them how the balance will be kept for future generations. I mean... this is just a bad rushed ending, all they need to do is giving more screen time to everything.

The ME3 spoiler thread is in community now and people still discuss the endings.

Thanks pal.

Top Bottom