• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect Franchise - The Forgotten Bioware AAA Experience

Which Mass Effect game is the best?

• Mass Effect 1 - The Salad Days

Votes: 77 42.8%
  • Mass Effect 2 - Steady Job, 2 Kids, White Pickett Fence

Votes: 91 50.6%
  • Mass Effect 3 - I Got Addicted To Crack And The Wife Left Me, But This Crack Pretty Good Sometimes

Votes: 12 6.7%

• Total voters

Alex11

Incredible game. Sadly I don't think another experience like that can be replicated. Mass Effect 2, in my opinion, is one of the greatest video games ever made.
Yeah, sadly also that the people involved in that game are no longer part of that universe. We all now that that Bioware is long gone and it will probably stay that way, at least for a good amount of time.
Well, we'll at least remain with the memory of experiencing this amazing game back then.

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
since it is not mentioned very often and nobody knows what it is really about since they are so old
Excuse Me What GIF

Mass Effect is one of the best game series ever created and is widely respected by gamers.
Anyway, I can't help but look at those 3 games as a whole and I love them all but I would say 1 and 2 are my favorites.

The incredible cast, the suicide mission, Garrus, Cerberus, that opening sequence... so many great things. Damn you OP, I need to do another run now.

gow3isben

ME1 excess hype baffles me. Decent story (vastly overshadowed later on) and appalling gameplay and exploration. Difference between ME1 and ME2 is even bigger than Uncharted 1 and 2.

Yoboman

ME1 excess hype baffles me. Decent story (vastly overshadowed later on) and appalling gameplay and exploration. Difference between ME1 and ME2 is even bigger than Uncharted 1 and 2.
Agreed. Bad gameplay, worst side characters. Credit for establishing the lore but that's about it

gow3isben

Thane, Grunt, Jack, Mordin.

And return of old hands. Characters in ME2 blow ME1 out the water.

And Citadel DLC is the best DLC of all time.

Last edited:

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
Guys. I just finished up with Mass Effect 3 last night. I think it is time we get a discussion brewing about this franchise since it is not mentioned very often and nobody knows what it is really about since they are so old.
Mate, it's one of the most beloved franchises of all time... it may not get talked about all the time (ME4 is a ways off yet), but people really really love this franchise and in my experience, do know what it's about (or is it just Boomer circles it's well known... I am 42.....). lol.

The millions of units sold of the recent Remaster suggest that it is not forgotten, a legend is always alive, in our hearts.

Last edited:
I voted 3, simply because the multiplayer was just such a great addition, it was something nobody wanted, even I hated the idea of it, but I ended up falling in love with it. That makes the overall package better for me personally, but if we’re strictly talking the single player experience then it’s 2.

Shubh_C63

People shouldn't care what makes RPG an RPG. Good engaging experience = good game.

I respect Mass Effect 2 a lot but I definitely DEFINITELY had more fun with Mass Effect 3. Gameplay was just better.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Mass effect 2 felt like a premium mass effect 1, to me ME3 put the gaming world on notice.

Mass Effect 1 for me. I liked the Mako parts. Yeah it wasn’t executed the best, but the ability to either follow the main story or fuck off and do side quests (that usually ended up tying in with citadel characters/quests in ways that made the world more believable) was what I feel a Space RPG should be about.

ME2 had good sidequests as well, but the lack of free roam and the more linear nature of them made it less interesting in comparison.

ME2 has other strengths that make it stand out, and really I like it and 1 pretty much equally but for different reasons, but put a gun to my head and I’ll say ME1 is my favorite.

Adam_802

ME2 still my favorite after all this time.

But the Legendary Edition really did make me re-appreciate the first game again.

sono

Gold Member
Back in the day I remember hearing about it's favourable reviews when it was only on Xbox ( I didn't have and Xbox only ps). A few years later the trilogy got released on playstation. I played all three back to back and doing that was amongst my top gaming experiences of all time. I think two is the best. I can't say which my favourite character was because it was the blend of them, the story and the gameplay that made it epic

Last edited:

Drizzlehell

Banned
Best damn trilogy ever created. I love every single one of those games to bits, even the third one is brilliant and I won't hear any of that crap about it having a shitty ending or whatever. It wasn't what you expected, big deal, get over it already. It's still an incredible game and the DLCs for it are some of the greatest pieces of DLC ever made, and they do a tremendous job at making the experience feel more complete and satisfying.

I can't even count how many times I've played through the entire trilogy. I read all the books, comics, watched the animated movie... Hell, I even enjoyed Andromeda despite how crappy of a story it had. I really hope that we haven't seen the last of this franchise and that the next game won't end up in some kind of development hell or even get canceled. I want a new, great Mass Effect game so badly...

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Forgotten?
3 amazing games. We even got a remaster. Just finished. I never played andromeda. Maybe it’s not so bad

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Best damn trilogy ever created. I love every single one of those games to bits, even the third one is brilliant and I won't hear any of that crap about it having a shitty ending or whatever. It wasn't what you expected, big deal, get over it already. It's still an incredible game and the DLCs for it are some of the greatest pieces of DLC ever made, and they do a tremendous job at making the experience feel more complete and satisfying.

I can't even count how many times I've played through the entire trilogy. I read all the books, comics, watched the animated movie... Hell, I even enjoyed Andromeda despite how crappy of a story it had. I really hope that we haven't seen the last of this franchise and that the next game won't end up in some kind of development hell or even get canceled. I want a new, great Mass Effect game so badly...
Love these games too but best trilogy goes to gears of war for me.
Would go to prince of Persia or uncharted but third game is worst.

Phase

I'm still planning on playing 3 soon. Got it on steep discount a while ago. I'm sure it's not as bad as the initial sentiment.

Alex11

Forgotten?
3 amazing games. We even got a remaster. Just finished. I never played andromeda. Maybe it’s not so bad
Of course it wasn't the trash people like to say, it was a combination of bugs, uninspired characters, main villain and the ''curse'' of ME trilogy being that good. But on the plus side IMO it has a pretty good combat gameplay.
You should try it, just go with low expectations.

Ozzie666

I got so addicted to the planet scanning in mass effect 2, even though I knew it was terrible and a step down from the Mako.

Each game is unique in it's own right. For better or for worse. Enough variance between them all. Playing Mass Effect 1 for the first time, nothing like it. Still wish I could experience it again with fresh eyes.
Mass Effect 2 was more like Aliens to Alien. I enjoyed the team collectathon. Both are good, I enjoyed ME2 more to play, but both are remembered fondly. ME3 is the weakest, and the ending didn't help. Weakest when compared to ME1 and ME2. As a game, ME3 is still top notch, most developers wish their games were as bad as ME3.

I really wish we had a big screen movie series for this. It's deeper than Star Wars. It would be amazing.

SABRE220

Mass effect 1 was special while its gameplay wasnt as refined as 2 and was janky in comparison, it was much deeper. The atmosphere, lore, interactions, world building and sense of wonder/mystery blew me away later entries kept moving away from the rpg aspects and transitioning more to a tps. Mass Effect 2 while still a great game felt like a streamlined yet watered-down variant...3 was yeah.

Last edited:

Drizzlehell

Banned
Love these games too but best trilogy goes to gears of war for me.
I only played through it a few months ago when I got my Series S. Prior to that I only had a chance to play the first one on PC but I must have played through it a billion times as well, lol.

Great series too, I agree.

Last edited:

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Mass Effect 1 is one of the best games ever made, so my vote goes on that one.

Garrus was and will always be my favorite character in the series. Making this journey with him was special. I actually shed a tear during the last conversation with him in ME3.

Sadly I don’t think something like the ME series will ever happen again as games now take bloody decade to make.

RAIDEN1

I got so addicted to the planet scanning in mass effect 2, even though I knew it was terrible and a step down from the Mako.

Each game is unique in it's own right. For better or for worse. Enough variance between them all. Playing Mass Effect 1 for the first time, nothing like it. Still wish I could experience it again with fresh eyes.
Mass Effect 2 was more like Aliens to Alien. I enjoyed the team collectathon. Both are good, I enjoyed ME2 more to play, but both are remembered fondly. ME3 is the weakest, and the ending didn't help. Weakest when compared to ME1 and ME2. As a game, ME3 is still top notch, most developers wish their games were as bad as ME3.

I really wish we had a big screen movie series for this. It's deeper than Star Wars. It would be amazing.
A big-screen adaption is over-due hell even a release on the streaming channels would do....or a CG version if you can't get the actors close enough to portray the characters.....problem is Andromeda put paid to a swift revival of the series that's why they are taking their sweet-time in Mass Effect 4 because they know they can't afford another damaging entry...

Ozzie666

A big-screen adaption is over-due hell even a release on the streaming channels would do....or a CG version if you can't get the actors close enough to portray the characters.....problem is Andromeda put paid to a swift revival of the series that's why they are taking their sweet-time in Mass Effect 4 because they know they can't afford another damaging entry...

There have only been 3 Mass Effect games, just like there has only been 3 Indiana Jones Movies.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Those early games were good, but those Mako and planet scanning segments were the worst. Also, the enemy AI was dumb, but like most enemies in gaming, somehow their shooting skills are top notch at unreasonable conditions.

I'd be on a planet at the top of a cliff. It's virtually impossible to kill any enemy from that distance. Somehow the enemy is taking non-sniper shots at me and hitting me like their shots are guided missiles with AI boosts.

There have only been 3 Mass Effect games, just like there has only been 3 Indiana Jones Movies.
Crystal Skull was a disaster. I'll wait for Dial of Destiny on home streaming to check out how bad it is.

Last edited:

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
OP is in T R O U B L E.....Papa Todd doesn't want ANYONE to remember Mass Effect. That's where the entirety of Starfield's story is coming from.

Touch alien artifact and start tripping on alien visions....go on missions....sorta explore planets....have sexxy time with EVERYONE....die....repeat.

I had the opportunity to play all three games in sequence when the remaster was released. I consider Mass Effect 3 to be a very well-made game, but unfortunately, the best content was held back as DLC. Those who were able to play everything in one package enjoyed an excellent game, while those who missed out on the Javik DLC, extended ending, or Citadel DLC didn't have a good experience. Mass Effect 1 had poor combat, but the overall story was much more thrilling. I remember being extremely excited for the final battle against Saren, saving the Citadel, the dialogue with Sovereign... It was all electrifying.
ME 2 is excellent too.

masterkajo

Mass Effect 1 had the best story / world building.
ME1 is by far my favorite as it is retro science fiction. The music, the locations and all the awe and wonder. Almost perfection (apart from some technical and gameplay details).

Mass Effect 2 had the best characters.
ME2 had an awesome cast of characters (Mordin!!!) and featured a really cool design working towards a goal and endgame that really depends on your choices you made throughout the game. The last boss fight was a huge letdown though.

Mass Effect 3 had the best gameplay.
ME3 was garbage. Granted the story wrap-ups of Tuchanka and Rannoch were awesome. But the last third of the game was a hot mess. The way it wrapped up was a huge huge letdown. IMO, the correct way to have finished the trilogy was to mimich ME2's ending but on a galactic scale. One final attack from the Reapers across all planets. Make choices which planets need protection and saving. Command fleets and order people to specific defense. Decide to try to save Earth with huge risks or give it up and fight at a more strategic point. All these decisions should not only have been placed upon you, but also on the people that are still alive (making the decisions from the past games all the more important). If Wrex is still alive, the option to sack Tuchanka is not really there as he would not let that happen. Brokering peace between Quarians and Geth would allow Tali to deploy one more fleet somewhere etc. Use the Rachnis at strategic melee combat points to hold positions and so on. ... if only.

Last edited:
Top Bottom