• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BioWare to announce how they're going to address ME: Andromeda on April 4th

What was your favorite video game disaster relief program?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nubbe

Hard to imagine they are going to be able to fix issues before summer when they had 5 years to make it already

Worst thing about the game is side queats. How are they gonna fix that?

They're not the worst thing. The side-quests are a big improvement over Inquisition.

Andromeda has a lot of annoyances and lack of polish which all really add up in the end. But the core of the game is quite solid.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
I've played 50+ hours already and enjoying every minute of it. WTF is wrong with me?

I honestly think that some people are looking back at the last games with rose tinted glasses.

I'm playing ME2 along side Andromeda, and it's blatant the improvements that they've made. I'm a fan of the story as well, but I'm guessing I'm about half way through it. I reserve my right to completely change my mind about that. But right now? I'm a fan.

Only need to look at how this thread is starting off to see that even if they knocked it out of the park with this game, it simply wouldn't have been enough for some people. Anything Bioware does or says, you've got people ready and willing to jump down their throats over it.

I'll put playing the game on hold to see what they've got coming.
If you pay for something and its not of an acceptable quality, you have a right to complain. That's not to say you aren't right to some degree, but people aren't wrong for venting their frustrations. They worked for that money and spent it on something that was advertised to be functional, if it has trouble doing that then why shouldn't they be upset?
I haven't played the game yet, but I plan to sometime after the patches hit. But I don't understand why people think it's not okay to complain at all.

Bl@de

It will be some cosmetic DLC and some rambling "our fans are the greatest. Such fantastic experiences. So proud ..."

Something like that:
jfn7s8W.png

Pakoe

Goddamn so much hate for this game all over the net.

98edaa23a229e7edf7572ce0e4e887ca.gif

I've played 50+ hours already and enjoying every minute of it. WTF is wrong with me?

I'm quite enjoying it as well, to be honest. Sure, it isn't what I had hoped it to be. But it's definitely not THAT bad. A 7/10 is still playable in my books.

xrnzaaas

The game needed at least 3-4 more months to be more polished at release. They should address only the crucial issues now and focus on making a huge patch / ME:A 2.0 / re-release / whatever you call it.

S

Steve.1981

Unconfirmed Member
They're not the worst thing. The side-quests are a big improvement over Inquisition.

Yep. It's the setting. All the little things are more believably worthwhile in the situation that the Andromeda Initiative finds itself in.

Voras

Not sure why Star Wars Galaxies would be a choice on that poll. It wasn't really a disaster at launch and the big updates (the Combat Upgrade and the New Game Experience) were pretty widely panned by the playerbase. The NGE was pretty much the start of a complete death spiral for the game.

As for Mass Effect Andromeda, hopefully this will a significant effort to fix the performance issues with the game. I will never understand why a publisher would rather push a game with technical issues out the door when it can potentially do long term damage to their brand as a company and to the reputation of the franchise.

Mr_Moogle

They should at least fix the some of the technical problems and redo some textures and character models.

Not sure they can really salvage the writing and dialogue though. They would have to re-record audio.

Brockxz

That doesn't mean game doesn't have problems need to be fixed. I have played already 40+ hours and i love the game but I see a lot of problems that kind of ruin a little bit that good experience.

Rozart

Ehhh I wouldn't go that far.

I think Inquisition does a much better job with the open world areas, but the writing is not that much better than Andromeda.

Nah. I still stand by my initial statement. I don't know how anyone can look at Inquisition's and Andromeda's cast and think that they're of about the same quality. Dorian alone has more personality than half of Andromeda's crew combined.

The writing in Andromeda is laughably awkward. Is there a moment in Inquisition that is as rife with the strangest, stilted dialogue as that first meeting with Addison in the Nexus? My face is tired. I'm sorry for the poetics (in reference to a line that's hardly even poetic).

And the characters are so. bland. Even the loyalty missions are starting to feel like a chore because the internal character conflicts in this game just feel uninspired. Even the external conflicts between the characters feel strangely detached. Liam, in a conversation with Vetra on the Nomad, moments after meeting her, suddenly has beef with her
because she brought her sister along to Andromeda
. He makes some snide comments about her shooting I think? And I'm like, "Woa. What. Where did this come from?" Compare that with Solas' and Sera's/Dorian's and Vivienne's strained conversations about what it means to Elven/the liberal use of magic in Tevinter vs Thedas. One feels forced and sudden while the other more natural and believable. Seriously though, why do the rivalries between the characters in Andromeda feel so inorganic and forced compared to the previous games? Andromeda's characters aren't awful or terrible imo. They're just...boring and lack any real personality. Even someone like Peebee-- a rogue archeologist who, on paper, sounds like an incredibly interesting character-- falls kinda flat. Jaal is the only one who's actually interesting to me.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
You know, they should give everyone 100 dollars worth of free packs in Multiplayer! That'd make me happy at least. lol

Jumeira

Banned

People waited 5 years and they got a turd that is ME:A, everyone expected greatness like the OT, what we got is a sloppy broken poorly written unfinished game with elements borrowed from DA:I which is already hated.

The level incompetence with this whole package is astounding. We may lose the franchise because of this pos game.

Ragnaroz

Is it that bad? I've been wanting to play it but have too much on my plate right now to dive in.
No, it's not. There are definitely moments, you can see plenty of them around, but in the end this is a standard circlejerk run by people who didn't even play the game for the most part.

Nah. I still stand by my initial statement. I don't know how anyone can look at Inquisition's and Andromeda's cast and think that they're of about the same quality. Dorian alone has more personality than half of Andromeda's crew combined.

The writing in Andromeda is laughably awkward. Is there a moment in Inquisition that is as rife with the strangest, stilted dialogue as that first meeting with Addison in the Nexus? My face is tired. I'm sorry for the poetics (in reference to a line that's hardly even poetic).

Inquisition had its fair share of terrible writing.

dmix90

People waited 5 years and they got a turd that is ME:A, everyone expected greatness like the OT, what we got is a sloppy broken poorly written game with elements borrowed from a game that is already hated, DA:I.

The level incompetence with this whole package is astounding. We may lose the franchise because of this pos game.
What if i like how it's written? Did you play it yourself or judging from out of context gif's and short videos( there were plenty of those pre release, they were fun i admit but the same situations in game were nowhere near as exagerated as when i played the game myself )? Game needs a lot of patching work thats for sure but i don't see anything "broken" in the game so far.

S

Steve.1981

Unconfirmed Member
Are all the critics unanimously wearing rose tinted glasses as well? At the end of the day, Andromeda didn't exactly receive high praise from their side either.

No, game reviews are just getting a bit more strict and a bit less hype these days.

Rozart

Uh. But that's the way Sera talks? She talks simply in blunt sentences with awkward sentence structures. It's something that's acknowledged in-game. Even the Inquisitor has moments where he/she can comment that they have no idea what she's talking about.

Maledict

That's not terrible writing. Sera had a personality and way of speaking that pissed off a lot of people, but that's not bad writing - it's because of the way she's written that people were pissed off. Personally, I was surprised to find out I really liked her character just because it was so different to many others (and she was so often wrong!).

MCD

DA:I at least got a good presentation. I skipped most of the story stuff and just played while chatting on Xbox Party.

I can't do this in Mass Effect without laughing every sec lmao

Jumeira

Banned
What if i like how it's written? Did you play it yourself or judging from out of context gif's and short videos( there were plenty of those pre release, they were fun i admit but the same situations in game were nowhere near as exagerated as when i played the game myself )? Game needs a lot of patching work thats for sure but i don't see anything "broken" in the game so far.

When the level of conversation is like playground banter then I'd question your standards, some of the responses just kill the atmosphere and emotion making me just cringe in embarrassment. It's a level on incompetency that should have been addressed by directors, that fact that it didn't and it into the final product is shocking, the team at BioWare need to be removed from the franchise.

Interesting poll. FFXIV and Diablo 3 sure improved a lot upon receiving negative feedback at launch. It's not impossible, that much is certain. Not sure if Bioware has the talent at this point however. Their transition to a B tier dev was looming for years.

Uh. But that's the way Sera talks? She talks simply in blunt sentences with awkward sentence structures. It's something that's acknowledged in-game. Even the Inquisitor has moments where he/she can comment that they have no idea what she's talking about.

She's way too edgy for me. An evolution that has sadly continued in Andromeda where every NPC is a stand-up comedian.

Lord Phol

Everything I've seen of this makes it look like the mass effect version of dragon age 2: return to shit mountain. Not sure how they are going fix it, especially if the characters and writing are the big issues.

Big Nikus

People waited 5 years and they got a turd that is ME:A, everyone expected greatness like the OT, what we got is a sloppy broken poorly written unfinished game with elements borrowed from DA:I which is already hated.

When the level of conversation is like playground banter then I'd question your standards, some of the responses just kill the atmosphere and emotion making me just cringe in embarrassment. It's a level on incompetency that should have been addressed by directors, that fact that it didn't and it into the final product is shocking, the team at BioWare need to be removed from the franchise.

Yeah, let the anger flow

KORNdoggy

if they release a single bit of DLC before they fix the game's bugs and glitches then i find that inexcusable. the animations are shit, but there's not much to do about those at this point i imagine. but at least fix characters popping in and out of thin air, or being able to trap yourself in the environment etc.

Tonyx

Announcement of an announcement. Always makes me giggle.

Wouldn't have they been better off just saying something like "we are working on it, we'll update you soon" ?
Giving a date now seems like "we already planned everything, we just don't want to tell you now".

Tonyx

if they release a single bit of DLC before they fix the game's bugs and glitches then i find that inexcusable. the animations are shit, but there's not much to do about those at this point i imagine. but at least fix characters popping in and out of thin air, or being able to trap yourself in the environment etc.

Yeah, releasing a non free DLC now would be really shitty PR.

Not that I would put it past pretty much any publisher, though.

Rtas

The game needed at least 3-4 more months to be more polished at release. They should address only the crucial issues now and focus on making a huge patch / ME:A 2.0 / re-release / whatever you call it.

The funny thing is I've not encountered any of the glaring issues that people are complaining about, I'm not saying they arent there, I'm just saying I haven't had them, no janky face animations or anything.

I think the worst thing I've had happen is I had a door glitch out on me and wouldn't open so I had to reload a save thats about it.

Renekton

That's a lot of hyperbolic venom when you haven't​ even played it yet 😐

oneils

I dont think the game is even close to as bad as some think and I dont know if we should be mocking them trying to make it better and listen to fans. isn't this the kinda thing we wanted from the high speed age of new consoles?

not saying we shouldn't be skeptical or totally forgive everything but I dont think them trying to make things right deserve derision

The single player game crashes during cutscenes and loading sequences for me. It's that bad. At this point I just want those fixed.

Big Nikus

I'm playing ME2 along side Andromeda, and it's blatant the improvements that they've made. I'm a fan of the story as well, but I'm guessing I'm about half way through it. I reserve my right to completely change my mind about that. But right now? I'm a fan.

Yep. 20+ hours in and i love the game. I will take free DLC though :p

Yep, me and my girflriend are loving it too, and we had high expectations. There are definitely issues that can be patched and I hope they will balance the MP soon. There are a lot of positive opinions but of course when others call it a turd and ask that the dev lose their job, it's sure does not incite good discussions. I mean, there's nothing to discuss with some berserk posters in this thread. I love discussing the flaws in games I like, but not like this.

No, it's not. There are definitely moments, you can see plenty of them around, but in the end this is a standard circlejerk run by people who didn't even play the game for the most part.

That too. Sure, some have played it and have legitimate complaints, but a lot of shitposts come from people who haven't played it. Now we have more and more example of people who where shitting on the game prior to release just because it was fun to be on the hate train, but it turns out they found themselves enjoying the game after the trial.

Also, when I see complaints about modern writing in BioWare games, the examples are on par with stuff like Dragon Age Origins where the banter was reeaaally forced. And others just don't understand what bad writing means. If it's not serious, it's bad.
Andromeda goes for a more light-hearted and fun approach, that's one of the things I like about the game, and to me it's what the series needed the most after ME3.

sobaka770

Banned

Overreacting much? If you hype yourself up after:

1. ME3 ending and the "fix"
2. Dragon Age Inquisition open world design
3. Bizarre uninspired marketing campaign for Andromeda

Then you only have yourself to blame. Most people knew that it was a reboot, a new direction, a different studio. This game has issues but an incompetent unplayable turd? So it's a 0 Metacritic score worthy?

I mean the hate for this game is just blowing my mind. We're so very far from NMS fiasco and still people can't be reasonable in their assessment.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
I honestly think that some people are looking back at the last games with rose tinted glasses.
Well that's one part of the problem for sure.

They've done MASSIVE improvements to the core gameplay which is freaking awesome. There's some much freedom and options to experiment now. Simply amazing and really well done.

Sure, there's almost no tactical elements in the game - you can't control your squadmates and customize them (armor weapons and all that) as in the old games, but I'll take that over the very restrictive and old gameplay from the previous games.

I'm quite enjoying it as well, to be honest. Sure, it isn't what I had hoped it to be. But it's definitely not THAT bad. A 7/10 is still playable in my books.
It does not deserve 7s imho. 8 / 8.5 is the right kind of score for it and by my standards.

Yep. 20+ hours in and i love the game. I will take free DLC though :p
Not a chance. It's EA. Hell, even WB did not give us free DLC after BAK / MKX PC disaster.

That doesn't mean game doesn't have problems need to be fixed. I have played already 40+ hours and i love the game but I see a lot of problems that kind of ruin a little bit that good experience.
Sure as hell it has problems, but all this hate is just HUGELY overblown. The game simply does not desirve so much hate no matter how you look at it and from whatever poit of view.

everyone expected greatness
Well that's everyone's big fucking promblem and frankly, I don't know can you explect greatness after shitty DAI? But guess what, MEA is just miles better than DAI which I simply hate for a shit ton of reasons, so excuse me, but you are....

People waited 5 years and they got a turd that is ME:A

what we got is a sloppy broken poorly written unfinished game
LIBrMJQ.gif

elements borrowed from DA:I.
Yep, they borrowed them and made a much better game in almost every way in terms of gameplay in the process.

No, we may lose the franchisee because of the people like you and all this tone of shit and hate thrown at this game for not good reason. It's not perfect and has problems, but it not a fucking turd and does not deserve to be hated so much!

I mean, there's nothing to discuss with some berserk posters in this thread. I love discussing the flaws in games I like, but not like this.
you're goddamn right.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom