• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BioWare to announce how they're going to address ME: Andromeda on April 4th

What was your favorite video game disaster relief program?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

patapuf

I'm not sure what to expect aside from bugfixes.

I think the game is quite decent, but it's problems with writing, quest design ect. aren't something you just fix with a patch.

Edit: UI and the stupid long animations on the space map are big things that stop me from enjoying the game fully, they could certainly fix those.

MaxiLive

Glad they are looking into the issues!

It is bound to be too late for me as by the time any substantial patches hit I'll be done with the game. Hopefully on a future play through it will feel a lot smoother and look a fair bit better during cut scenes.

I'm enjoying my time with the game my biggest complaints are the convoluted UI and the janky cut scenes (using global lighting, funky animation and crazy camera angels the game can produce). So if those can get some TLC then future play throughs should be pretty good :D

dh4niel

Translation: "Thanks for the money, guys! Yeah, I guess there are some issues. We'll take a look at them, I suppose."

Mendrox

Please buy our game until 4th till we show you how little we can do ;)

Yep. What do they intend to salvage from this pos? You cannot fix shit writing in that whole game. But it's also my fault that I took Mass Effect writing seriously so I am to blame that things ala "Oh our ship almost exploded and 20.000 people died cause of me, let's start the journey!" put me off that game. Played 23 hours cause people said that it gets better after the tutorial begining and I am not wasting my time anymore now that other awesome games that deserve my time have been released or will release.

Fixing the animations would be a good start, but they have to rewrite so much dialogue and more... I don't know how fans of the series can defend this. Also EA already has our money. They won't give a shit.

N7.Angel

The circle of hate on Gaf will never stop after it begins, the hyperbole is our speciality and you'll never make us happy whatever you'll do, I don't known where the game goes to bug/terrible animation and facial expression problem to everything in this game is garbage, from the writing to the gameplay to the characters to everything but hey, the game isn't as bad as people say, I think it's pretty good to be honest and very close from Mass Effect writing style.

Some dialogue are pretty bad and I admit it but I can find the same crap on the OT, ME never had a stelllar writing and the gameplay were worst than the one from Andromeda for sure, I think Andromeda is just too old on its core, Andromeda would have been a huge success 5 years ago but now, with all the amazing games that outdo themselves, it's difficult to do amazingly with this.

The story is fine and I can see where they're going with the sequel, do it but you need to update everything else: Quests type, UI, animations/Facial expressions and you'll be good.

Vlodril

can i get a quicksave so i can save whenever i want and not lose a lot of progress constantly? at this point thats all i want just drop it in an quickfix patch.

dmix90

Not a chance. It's EA. Hell, even WB did not give us free DLC after BAK / MKX PC disaster.
I think i got a bunch of skins/challenge maps for the game from them, they also gave players free copies of previous games in the series. But yeah it's EA so nothing like that will probably happen.

filly

Usually, I would put up with the yank in a game like mass effect.
But there just isn't any need, I physically don't have time to get to it right now.
So I canceled my pre-order.

So make it good, I'll be there when you do and I'm going to pay less for it...

Rozart

can i get a quicksave so i can save whenever i want and not lose a lot of progress constantly? at this point thats all i want just drop it in an quickfix patch.

There's a trick to quick-saving in ME:A that someone pointed out to me in another thread. Choose a non-priority ops mission and the game will let you save whenever you want. Well. Will usually let you save whenever you want. Certain main missions still disallow quick saving.

But yes, a proper quick save system would be much appreciated.

JoeBoy101

It will be some cosmetic DLC and some rambling "our fans are the greatest. Such fantastic experiences. So proud ..."

Something like that:
jfn7s8W.png

Don't shitpost, dude. Sure, they lied up until NMS launch, but take a look at their patch record. Only CDProjekt is in their court. Sure, the game ain't even near what they promised, but they have made big strides in improving on what is there compared to launch. Its completely erroneous to shit on Hello Games' post-launch support.

Vlodril

There's a trick to quick-saving in ME:A that someone pointed out to me in another thread. Choose a non-priority ops mission and the game will let you save whenever you want. Well. Will usually let you save whenever you want. Certain main missions still disallow quick saving.

But yes, a proper quick save system would be much appreciated.

oh i know about it the game doesnt let you save on non priority missions ( was doing the fortress on eos and fuck that place. infinite spawning enemies and bugged invisible enemies and enemies in walls hitting me. i died close to the end and it put me back int he middle and every enemy had respawned even the guys at the entrance).

le.phat

I don't care for their outward-facing fixes, moreso then the Product managers / owners, QA and planning that should be held accountable for letting this POS ship in it's current state. This is not on the developers. This is pure project mismanagement.

JoeBoy101

I don't care for their outward-facing fixes, moreso then the Product managers / owners, QA and planning that will be held accountable for letting this POS ship in it's current state. This is not on the developers. This is pure project mismanagement.

Gotta agree with this. There is a good game here and I enjoyed it, but it feels so undirected and sloppy. My thought kept being, 'where was the Project Lead on this'? 'Where was the Quality Control?' There's so much that just should not have made its way to the finish line.

Ratros

Don't shitpost, dude. Sure, they lied up until NMS launch, but take a look at their patch record. Only CDProjekt is in their court. Sure, the game ain't even near what they promised, but they have made big strides in improving on what is there compared to launch. Its completely erroneous to shit on Hello Games' post-launch support.

To be honest Hello Games is more likely in the damage control mode instead of support-our-games-the-best-we-can-because-gamers-rule mode. I see their enthusiasm more as an attempt of salvation and redemption; their case is not exactly comparable to that of CDProjekt.

Surely it is nice that they are taking the responsibilities and trying their best to fulfill promises despite heavy criticism (and the fact that they have sold enough copies to balance the budget), but... the damage is done and you will probably agree as well that NMS will never return to the glory we once envisioned at E3 no matter how many patches they are going to release in the following years.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
If anything, EA is to blame for absolutely all of this. The game such as this and as huge as this take a lot of time to develop, polish, QA and all that. ESPECIALLY if developers haven't build any of their own games before and as huge as MEA, and guess what, BioWare Montreal made only one DLC for ME3 and multyplayer for it. How about all of you hater will keep this in mind 8/

I think i got a bunch of skins/challenge maps for the game from them
Really? Well, honestly, that's nothing in my book.

they also gave players free copies of previous games in the series.
Oh my, how generous of them))))))))

90% of players already had all previous games before AK's release, so this is just another "FUCK YOU, YOU'LL GET NOTHING! HA-HA!" (c) WB

Renekton

If anything, EA is to blame for absolutely all of this. The game such as this and as huge as this take a lot of time to develop, polish, QA and all that. ESPECIALLY if developers haven't build any of their own games before and as huge as MEA, and guess what BioWare Montreal made only one DLC for ME3 and multyplayer for it. How about all of you hater will keep this in mind 8/
I think Bioware has to own up to it.

EA let them have a less-proven team run a megaproject for 5 years. That is insanely generous, especially for EA.

To be honest Hello Games is more likely in the damage control mode instead of support-our-games-the-best-we-can-because-gamers-rule mode. I see their enthusiasm more as an attempt of salvation and redemption; their case is not exactly comparable to that of CDProjekt.

Surely it is nice that they are taking the responsibilities and trying their best to fulfill promises despite heavy criticism (and the fact that they have sold enough copies to balance the budget), but... the damage is done and you will probably agree as well that NMS will never return to the glory we once envisioned at E3 no matter how many patches they are going to release in the following years.

What? CDPR's "free" support was a bunch of forgettable DLC that didn't even matter, love or hate NMS but their post launch support has been pretty stellar in what it adds to the game.

As for ME:A i'm so relieved i cancelled my preorder when the pile on over gifs started, this statement fully vindicates the decision to wait.

It really took something to get a Mass Effect fan like me (Exclusive loot crate, models, figures, all the games on multiple systems) to go from loving the series, to caring little for the latest game, good job Bioware/EA.

EA let them have a less-proven team run a megaproject for 5 years. That is insanely generous, especially for EA.

Shouldn't EA take responsibility for not providing enough oversight and allowing a product to be released in this state? It's annoying that it's so close to finished but desperately needed a couple more passes of polish. Nothing can fix the wheel & dialog mismatch or the story or odd VA work but tidy up the rough edges and it'd be an entertaining game at least.

I've been watching a bunch of streams lately and i've yet to see anyone become involved with their crew or even care what happens to them. I keep hearing "Well, if i gave a damn this would probably be a big decision but eh, whatever." and i agree.

I'm currently waiting for a sale before i play it as what i've seen is just not appealing enough at the moment but if the patches actually address issues and make people give a damn about the characters like they did in the previous installments then i'll jump in after Zelda.

Unless they are doing a 100% refund/recall or are 100% redoing the game from scratch dialogue/animations/voice acting, nothing they do is anything worth caring about.

So this is what gaming has become... An announcement of an announcement... to fix a broken game.

We've hit the depths of hell here. Well and truly.

Isn't this supposed to be an AAA franchise? Fuck.

Lime

I hope it'll mean much more implementation of music and more NPC diversity - asari faces, Turians, salarians, etc.

I hope it'll mean much more implementation of music and more NPC diversity - asari faces, Turians, salarians, etc.

One thing I will say is that I think I've encountered more female Turians, Salarians, and Krogans playing this than I did in the entire ME trilogy. I know that's not what you're talking about but just thought that was interesting.

Staf

EA can't win. They publish a bad game = EA are evil who stood in the way of the dev to develop a great game. They publish a good game = the developers did an amazing job despite being published by EA.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
They need to fix the game's problems for sure, but they've nothing to prove to us, they've made a really good game period. For god's sake, they've made a game which is a shit ton better that 90% of all open world RPGs (except The Witcher 3) released for the last 4-5 years, yet everyone shitting on it and hate it. I mean, WTF is wrong with you people? Go on and play shitty and mediocre Spider's games then or yet another Risen / Gothic type of game from Piranha Bytes with absolutely zero new ideas, absolutely awful quests, dialogues, story, gameplay, combat etc.

How generous of them to let an unexperienced team develop a huge game in the well known and respected universe, and then rush it to market before the end of fiscal year and without giving the developer a chance to polish it before release (which is increadebly obvious).

Staf

How generous of them to let an unexperienced team develop a huge game in the well known and respected universe, and then rush it to market before the end of fiscal year and without giving the developer a chance to polish it before release (which is increadebly obvious).

Wasn't it delayed? It was suppose to be released in the fall of 2016 right?

Not Drake

The fact that they are announcing the date for an announcement of their plans how they wish to fix Andromeda's problems is not too encouraging.

jdstorm

Banned
EA can't win. They publish a bad game = EA are evil who stood in the way of the dev to develop a great game. They publish a good game = the developers did an amazing job despite being published by EA.

Actually EA can win.

EA publish risky origional project on a smaller budgets. Produce Quality. Profit is $$$ and adulation. Just look at Square's last few years.

Outrun

I feel like it is lip service.

When I opened the game up, I got a nice letter from the devs; it was one that let me know how this was a labour of love by them for the fans.

Then I played it.

Now we get another message saying that they have heard the criticism.

I am sorry, I have too much respect for the Dev to buy into the idea that they were oblivious to this game's issues before their cherished fans highlighted them.

They tried to pull a fast one and it failed.

To me it's pretty insulting from EA and Bioware to release the game in this state, full knowing it was not ready by a long shot. Bioware may have squandered a lot of EA money and time during development of this game, but ultimately it is EA's responsibility to make sure the game launches to the quality standard we expect from a ME title. Maybe they said enough is enough to Bioware, but that doesn't excuse either from pushing out the game so unfinished. Tons of fans supported them regardless of the debacles that happened with ME3 ending and DA2, and they just essentially shat on us yet again for trusting them to provide quality. It's great that they're at least doing something about it afterwards, but what Andromeda really needed was another 6 months to at least fix the bugs and other glaring issues. Even if the base story or characters don't quite live up to the nostalgia of previous games, it would still have been a decent game, 80+ and I'd been ok with it. Launching it this unpolished was just a slap in the face, and to be honest, really poor PR for EA yet again. "A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad". Now people will remember Andromeda as the one with the tired face.

Lime

I wish people were happier with the news that they'll at least look into fixing the game to the extent that EA is willing to pay and allocate resources for salvaging the product.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Too little too late ?

If I'm finished with the game by 4th I'll be trading this in.

I wish people were happier with the news that they'll at least look into fixing the game to the extent that EA is willing to pay and allocate resources for salvaging the product.

I'll be happier about it when they actually show some fixes and solutions and release them, until then it's just words. I want to give them the benefit of the doubt because i still want to play the game and i will at some point but the more they fix the closer that day approaches.

RowdyReverb

Translation: "Thanks for the money, guys! Yeah, I guess there are some issues. We'll take a look at them, I suppose."
I haven't bought the game solely because of the negative impressions I've read. If they can manage to polish it up a bit more, I'd be sold. Surely there are others like me

JCH!

I just can't bring myself to trust they'll do enough to 'fix' the game.

I really doubt they are going to do anything about the uninteresting characters and writing,which are two of my main gripes with the game.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I hope they rework the UI. The research/crafting screen is a confusing mess.

That ^ and ..

- Add option to skip the overly long planet transition animations.
- Do some work on facial animations.
- Announce the Quarian DLC, preferably free, the justification for why they and some of the other races from the original trilogy aren't in the game is flimsy as fuck.
- Add option to skip planet entrance/exit video files.
- Optimize performance for console versions.
- Add 1080p/high frame rate option for PS4 Pro.

etc etc.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Wasn't it delayed? It was suppose to be released in the fall of 2016 right?
Nope it wasn't and there was no release date for it too.

Here, read this fucking thing:

Blake Jorgensen said:
“We’re willing to make moves in launch dates if we feel that it’s necessary to deliver the right player experience. Our guidance assumes that Mass Effect continues to be in this [fiscal] year, but it gives us some flexibility that we might choose to move it either a week or three, or four, or five months if we have to based on what we want to make sure in terms of delivering the right experience to the players”.
They knew that it must be delayed for at least 5-6 months but nope, end of the fiscal year, need to rush it to market, the devs will polish it later and will be hated by almost everyone for how unpolished it is on release.

Peroroncino

I think it's just damage control and nothing major will come out of this announcement.

I'd love to see frame-rate improvement on base PS4 though, it's a fuckin' slideshow mid-combat with a group of 5+ enemies.

Snagret

Some (not all, but some) of the cynicism and grumpiness in this thread that the developer is looking into the issues they are complaining about is just ridiculous. Let's actually wait 5 days and get a look at the changelog before we start calling the devs greedy, lazy, satan-worshippers.

massucci

Banned
Never buy a game at launch. WD2 on ps4 pro was a tearing galore. Now it's wonderful and barely drops tearing. I have learned the lesson. Hope they finally deliver a proper fps. Meanwhile I'll wait patiently.

Snagret

Not exactly the bastion of gaming news but UK newspaper The Sun say that Fem Ryder's appearance was deliberately gimped so as not to appear sexist but that Male Ryder was kept attractive.

Looking at the difference between the Fem Ryder actress and model they seem to have increased her nose size and de-glamourised her.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/2948293/bioware-accused-of-making-mass-effect-andromeda-female-characters-ugly-in-bizarre-sexism-row/
Which is a completely unsubstantiated rumor literally made up by the person writing the article and one other person, and is honestly a pretty sexist accusation in and of itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom