• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BioWare's new IP releasing Q1 2018 (Jan-March), ME leads, sounds like online game

Theorry

Daniel Ahmad ‏@ZhugeEX

Great RPG + Character development in a world of action adventure. More genre melding with a skew to Action.

Wholly owned IP from EA."

Why people comparing to destiny? It could e something like for honor gods sake it resemble that from online/action game not destiny.

Because they specifically mention creating new characters and world's. And EA needs that type of game in their portfolio

It's going to be a Destiny type experience.

Drayco21

Online and action-focused are not the direction I wanted to see Bioware continue to slide. Shame, but I haven't adored a game from them since Origins and ME2; they've just radically changed as a company into something that's far less of what I want from games.

Daniel Ahmad ‏@ZhugeEX

Great RPG + Character development in a world of action adventure. More genre melding with a skew to Action.

Wholly owned IP from EA."

If we get good RPG elements, character development, plus Destiny type replayability along with good action, that's exciting.

Eh... I play BioWare games to sort of get away from online stuff and playing other people. I don't doubt people will like this but having this be some Destiny like online game even if it has typical BioWare characters and story just makes the whole thing kind of unappealing right out of the gate. Kind of like TOR- in my brief time playing it, I enjoyed some of the stories and character stuff there but the gameplay and MMO-ish nature of it totally turned me off to doing anything else to advance the story.

Especially if its just another shooter gameplay wise. I'll be curious about the setting, I guess, but the notion of a online driven loot shooter made by BioWare does nothing to spark my interest.

Online and action-focused are not the direction I wanted to see Bioware continue to slide. Shame, but I haven't adored a game from them since Origins and ME2; they've just radically changed as a company into something that's far less of what I want from games.

Yup. Same here. They just keep going farther and farther away from the games that I really loved from them. Couple that with personnel departures over the years and for me anyway, BioWare is really a totally different company than they were back in the BG2- Dragon Age: Origins/ ME2 days.

They already have 2 Destiny type IPs with ME and Star Wars.

not sure they would want third.

I am betting on historical game.

They don't have a single game that works like Destiny / The Division. We aren't talking about sci-fi we are talking about Online / Loot / Co-op RPG's

And we've already seen a bit of the game. It's not historical

Sou Da

To throw in my two cents here: Action RPGs are literally the only ones you can get away with making in the AAA Western $60 space.

Wulfram

To throw in my two cents here: Action RPGs are literally the only ones you can get away with making in the AAA Western $60 space.

I guess it depends where you're drawing the line, but DAI got solid sales on something that's only minimally action.

I wonder if it'll be sci-fi or fantasy or something actually more original

From the tiny bit we've seen it looks sort of sci-fi

bioware_ip.png

Schlorgan

Hudson got this one started before he left to do VR stuff. The team in Edmonton must be mostly working on this then if it's coming out a year from now.

Sou Da

I wonder if it'll be sci-fi or fantasy or something actually more original
It looks Modern(?), I'd guess urban fantasy ala The Secret World.
I guess it depends where you're drawing the line, but DAI got solid sales on something that's only minimally action.

True but that's a series that appears to be stuck in between a rock and a hard place with where to take it's combat. Additionally the next game in that series appears to be a Turn based SRPG spinoff.

Plum

Nope this is from the original New IP tease

Ah, it looks so similar to be honest that I had to do a double take. Just found the original video and it does sort of look sci-fi but I'm not saying it will be that just yet, all that tiny piece of footage does is tell us that it won't be something based in history.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
It looks Modern(?), I'd guess urban fantasy ala The Secret World.

True but that's a series that appears to be stuck in between a rock and a hard place with where to take it's combat. Additionally the next game in that series appears to be a Turn based SRPG spinoff.

Living up to Secret World's writing and atmosphere will be a challenge.

Ah, it looks so similar to be honest that I had to do a double take. Just found the original video and it does sort of look sci-fi but I'm not saying it will be that just yet, all that tiny piece of footage does is tell us that it won't be something based in history.

No doubt I'm not entirely sure it's sci-fi but even if it is I expect that universe will be quite a bit different than the one in Mass Effect

I'll try to remain cautiously optimistic. They talk about character development and such... But if it is mainly a multiplayer experience, it's probably not for me.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
That's disappointing. I've never been a fan of Massively Multiplayer games so if Bioware's new Star Wars RPG is online and, I can assume, similar to TOR, I'll likely never pick it up.

"Massively" probably doesn't apply here.

Think more like groups of 4-8 tops with an option to play most things solo.

Banned
BioWare Persistent Online Third Person game.

I bet it's a Division clone with better solo gameplay and branching story.

FelipeMGM

Here is the transcript about what was said in the conference call

C3iOspjWEAMYvwF.jpg:large

This part is the one that sounds ambitious that I was talking about

. This game has the potential to fundamentally disrupt the way people think about an action title, bringing friends together to play in exhilarating new
ways. We're very excited about the future of this new franchise and its ability to attract a large global audience.

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
I wonder if this is Project Zulu. I remember years ago I came across it on PartnerNet. (Roughly 2012) Think it was a fantasty RPG.

FinKL

Am I the only one thinking they are aiming for something akin to Destiny? I mean, EA must of seen how well that series is doing after 3 years...

EDIT seems I'm not the only one hehe

Nabbis

Basically. It's gonna be interesting to see what it is, hopefully gameplay is better than the divison's.

Hot garbage, that's what im expecting. I can be wrong but i imagine the conception phase was mostly done by a checklist on what the competition has.

Zukkoyaki

I'm on-board if it's similar to Destiny and The Division where I can play alone or with just a few friends. Can't wait to finally see this game!

Plum

"Massively" probably doesn't apply here.

Think more like groups of 4-8 tops with an option to play most things solo.

Frankly I've never enjoyed playing multiplayer-designed games by myself so it's not for me either way. I just hope Amy Hennig's SW game is a success as I'd hate to see the franchise's singleplayer efforts be exclusively made out of LEGO.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
After how good Mass Effect 3 multiplayer was, sign me up for any Bioware co-op game.

Schlorgan

I couldn't get into Destiny. I got into The Division but fell off of it pretty hard. I'd be willing to give this a shot.

alt27

Destiny is successful because of the sweet gunplay and no offence to bioware, but they are hardly known for amazing combat mechanics in their games.

I dont think they will be trying to compete directly with Destiny (they will probably get slaughtered), it will be a different take on the looter imo.

and im assuming its third person ? So more 'competing' with the janky combat of the division (although does that game still get decent player numbers??)

It will be interesting to see what they come up with but im not exactly hype for them to be tackling this type of game.

Wadiwasi

Banned
The part about "bringing players together in exciting new ways" is really giving me "making the world a better place" vibes from Silicon Valley.

wildbite

I would love to see this in 2018 but that surprises me as I would have expected Andromeda DLC in 2018 to be the focus. What if their new IP goes up against Cyberpunk 2077? There aren't enough Cyberpunk games but I don't think launching a game so close to Cyberpunk would be a good idea - even though we don't know Cyberpunk 2077's release date yet.

jettpack

Do y'all Remember when they cancelled Shadow Realms? They dropped that teaser with the dude in a suit with smoke coming out of his neck. Sounded really ambitious. Obviously this isn't that. But did we ever find out anything more about that game?

Nvm, Unseen64 did a video on it
617x.jpg

Also So this sounds like it's Bioware Edmonton? Bioware Montreal is on Andromeda.... and Bioware Austin is still doing SWOTOR expansions and support right?

Also this is super crazy. A friend of mine who worked at EA a while back (2013 ish) told me there was a series of small Mass Effect download only games in the works back in the day. I think he told me one was focused on the MAKO. Not sure if anybody else heard whispers about these

Top Bottom