• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BioWare's new IP releasing Q1 2018 (Jan-March), ME leads, sounds like online game

Excited to see more.

New IPs are always exciting, and Bioware has always excelled at crafting an amazing world and setting, even if their character writing has deteriorated in quality with past few games.

Hopefully new IP challenge and excitement will see them bring back their A-game. Also, even though this game was teased FOREVER ago, nice to see the full announcement held back to a schedule where they're aiming to release this within 9-12 months from proper reveal.

Deku Tree

Bioware needs to nail the gameplay to make a good game like this. I feel like the weakest part of ME and other Bioware games was always the gameplay, story was what made the Bioware RPGs fun for me not gameplay. To me what makes Destiny stand out when compared to Borderlands and The Division is the top notch tight fun shooting mechanics in Destiny. It's what made me like the Bungie Halos so much too.

Shengar

Meh, they're just the shell of old Bioware. The old, peaked Bioware where they produced games with excellent based-from-history worldbuilding like Mass Efffect 1 and Dragon Ages: Origin is no more. It will be filled with action bullshit, generic nonsensical aesthetic design, and overtly generic worldbuilding.

diaspora

Meh, they're just the shell of old Bioware. The old, peaked Bioware where they produced games with excellent based-from-history worldbuilding like Mass Efffect 1 and Dragon Ages: Origin is no more. It will be filled with action bullshit, generic nonsensical aesthetic design, and overtly generic worldbuilding.

I can't tell if this is for real or a list of memes. The third game in the ME and DA series is better than the first, they're better now than they were before.

duckroll

Bioware-developed game to fight Overwatch?

Only on the waifu and husbando front, maybe?

I mean, if it's a community driven online shooter, it's going to be competing for that mindshare. Whether you are dedicated to Overwatch or Destiny or both, at some point shooter fans who like playing shooters with their friends will have committed to enough that they don't have time or another.

Sou Da

Bioware needs to nail the gameplay to make a good game like this. I feel like the weakest part of ME and other Bioware games was always the gameplay, story was what made the Bioware RPGs fun for me not gameplay. To me what makes Destiny stand out when compared to Borderlands and The Division is the top notch tight fun shooting mechanics in Destiny. It's what made me like the Bungie Halos so much too.

Perhaps, but I feel confident in saying that ME3MP and it's positive reception has something to do with this getting the greenlight.

I mean, if it's a community driven online shooter, it's going to be competing for that mindshare. Whether you are dedicated to Overwatch or Destiny or both, at some point shooter fans who like playing shooters with their friends will have committed to enough that they don't have time or another.

Well, then it's a minefield of competition in that regard. More and more games are entering that community-driven online shooter space.

It's the new "we want our own World of Warcraft/League of Legends" clone wars except unlike those spaces, there's no monopoly or duopoly yet, and devs are entering the space not making clones but more distinct community-driven games.

Speely

Banned
Is EA going to try to fight Overwatch and Destiny?

They might, but I don't think that, via Bioware, they would try to do so in a 1:1 ratio fashion with either game. Something about this gives me Diablo/PSO vibes. Prolly way off, but I am feeling a co-op mp loot arpg, but with heroes rather than classes, possibly with a pvp aspect.

Shot in the dark.

FelipeMGM

Do y'all Remember when they cancelled Shadow Realms? They dropped that teaser with the dude in a suit with smoke coming out of his neck. Sounded really ambitious. Obviously this isn't that. But did we ever find out anything more about that game?

Nvm, Unseen64 did a video on it
617x.jpg

Also So this sounds like it's Bioware Edmonton? Bioware Montreal is on Andromeda.... and Bioware Austin is still doing SWOTOR expansions and support right?

Also this is super crazy. A friend of mine who worked at EA a while back (2013 ish) told me there was a series of small Mass Effect download only games in the works back in the day. I think he told me one was focused on the MAKO. Not sure if anybody else heard whispers about these

It is them, that info is on the OP

FelipeMGM

Transcript from the Q&A section of the conference call

Brian Fitzgerald - Jefferies LLC - Analyst
Thanks, guys. Maybe a couple quick ones. The new BioWare game, I think you mentioned it was action and adventure in the description. Is that an
RPG game, we should assume coming from BioWare's history? And then, we may have missed this, but is that owned IP or will that be royalty-bearing
licensed IP?

Andrew Wilson - Electronic Arts Inc. - CEO
So it's an action adventure, not RPG. So what we're starting to see more and more in game genres, kind of genre-melding which is great components
of a number of different genres, really kind of coming together into single games.
And so, when you think about this game, you should be thinking about the great RPG character development and storyline progression that
BioWare is known for, but in a world of greater action and greater adventure which is growing to be one of the larger categories in games. It will
be a wholly owned IP. We're very excited about it, and we'll share more in the year to come.

Dinda

Not a fan of Bioware not creating an RPG. It was nice knowing that a few companies out there where always be doing RPGs. So Bioware stopped being on that small list.

I hope that we still get Character Creation and dialog trees at least.

Wait Multiplayer? urgh.

Destiny seems way more in their wheelhouse given they already make loot multiplayer components to their games and design their titles like co-op shooters/action games combat wise anyway.
Indeed, and they're not abandoning their narrative-centric roots.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Why does he mention that this is wholly owned IP? To make clear it's not a Star Wars or TitanFall situation? Or are there other reasons?

EA has to pay royalties when they use other people's IPs, so it impacts how much money they make per copy sold, which is what the analyst wants to know for doing financial modeling.

Ushay

I agree. Excited for the opposite. Play with friends while immersed in a bioware story/characters. Sold. ME3 Multiplayer popularity and legs may have influenced this decision I would imagine.
Absolutely. To me this says like Destiny but with a real deep story.

I'm actually pretty excited. Will look forward to this on Scorpio.

I'm thinking futuristic Division style game with classes, storyline and fictional elements.

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
Given some of their scrapped plans for Mass Effect over the years, even with the first game, I'll say there's like a 95%+ chance it's a Destiny / Borderlands type game.

I'm so down for a hybrid of those 2 games done with BioWare storytelling: count me in.

That would be cool though I fear it's just going to be another competitive shooter.

If it's labeled as an "Action Adventure" with lite RPG I find it hard to believe it's a "competitive shooter" Also, the following quote seems to imply otherwise as well

And so, when you think about this game, you should be thinking about the great RPG character development and storyline progression that
BioWare is known for, but in a world of greater action and greater adventure which is growing to be one of the larger categories in games. It will
be a wholly owned IP.

I agree with those saying it seems likely to be a title similar to Borderlands/Destiny/Division where it's closer to a shoot and loot style title.

Eek. Andromeda not even out yet and they're already siphoning attention away from it and onto their next project. Of all the things I've seen that make me nervous about Andromeda (and there are plenty), this one might make me the most nervous. Feels like a preemptive "dang, sorry we half-assed that one guys, but don't think about that, look over here, we have NEWER AND BETTER THINGS ON THE HORIZON, MADE BY THE REAL MASS EFFECT LEADS, DON'T YOU WORRY."

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Indeed, and they're not abandoning their narrative-centric roots.

I'm not sure if you can say, but is anything from that sneak peek still in the game? It's been long enough that I could see all of that having been thrown out.

Also, I'm assuming this is a May and/or E3 reveal? It seems unlikely that they'd actually talk about this prior to Mass Effect being out.

Eek. Andromeda not even out yet and they're already siphoning attention away from it and onto their next project. Of all the things I've seen that make me nervous about Andromeda (and there are plenty), this one might make me the most nervous. Feels like a preemptive "dang, sorry we half-assed that one guys, but don't think about that, look over here, we have NEWER AND BETTER THINGS ON THE HORIZON, MADE BY THE REAL MASS EFFECT LEADS, DON'T YOU WORRY."
EA wanted to announce their full title slate for next fiscal year.

They technically announced six games (BioWare's new IP, Need For Speed, UFC, NHL, Madden, and FIFA).

Any news about Dragon Age sequel? I feel upset that we will not get an AAA fantasy RPG for a long time after the witcher.

....siphoning attention away? Don't you think you're overreacting a little? It was barely any info from a financial call as they're required to give investors an outlook for the upcoming fiscal year. They're not marketing this game right now.

I'm not sure if you can say, but is anything from that sneak peek still in the game? It's been long enough that I could see all of that having been thrown out.

Also, I'm assuming this is a May and/or E3 reveal? It seems unlikely that they'd actually talk about this prior to Mass Effect being out.
I genuinely don't know if those particular assets are still in the game. It's evolved a ton since then. But yes, don't expect anything substantive until after MEA ships.

FelipeMGM

Yeah, not really

They have talked about this new IP before (they even had the video tease about it in 2014), and they mostly mentioned on the conference call because its going to be released in about a year or so, so it matters for future financial forecasts.

Andromed was talked a bunch too on the call, and that is getting a bunch of attention everywhere atm

Top Bottom