• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Birdiemon's Digimon Video Game Retrospective Thread

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
KPn2ikc.png

The Digimon throughout the years, together for a horrible Anniversary cash-in

TABLE OF CONTENTS
* Digital Monster Version. S: Digimon Tamers - Sega Saturn (JP Only)
* Digimon World - Playstation
* Introduction to WonderSwan + Digital Monster Ver. WonderSwan - WonderSwan (JP Only)

Not only am I a huge Pokemon fan, I'm a rather big Digimon fan as well---maybe not to the extent of Pokemon, but I've got a fair amount of interest in the franchise though there's so much obscure factoids and media that we never got in the U.S. that it's a bit harder to be as comprehensive of a fan due to the regional barrier. My favorite Digimon by the way probably isn't who you'd expect if you've seen my taste in Pokemon---it's Biyomon.

The Digimon vs. Pokemon (video games) thread is a bit unfair in my opinion---while I'm on Pokemon's side here, the fact of the matter is that the majority of Digimon games are barely known to the majority of casual fans whereas the Pokemon games, even the spinoffs, get far more airtime in the public conscious. In my opinion a ton of fans professing their love for Cyber Sleuth likely do not have a lot of experience with the Digimon video games as a whole and are jumping the gun by comparing one game which they found refreshing to the Pokemon series which they're probably more intimate with, even if they haven't played the latest entries. Some may not even know Digimon began as a series of Virtual Pets that came before the anime, a fact which the western branch of Bandai seemed to hide as the original Virtual Pets were so obscure here.

So, this thread is going to be a game-by-game retrospective/overview of all the Digimon games, excluding the V-Pets themselves, including those never released outside of Japan. Now the fact of the matter is while I've played a fair amount of these, a lot of them I've never experienced first-hand so this thread is going to be partially a learning experience for me as I fill in the gaps of my knowledge and hopefully we can get some folks in here who have played some of the obscurer games to give their thoughts. I'll be going in chronological order (by the Japanese releases) and covering basically every game I can find info on except perhaps some of the obscurer cell phone apps or arcade games. I'll be updating at a regular pace alongside my Pokemon Review Thread, though the entries here will be shorter or longer depending on how obscure the game is and if I've played it.

ZKfUmmC.jpg

So 90s it hurts---"Dock'Rock" thankfully never took off

Introduction to the Digital Monsters V-Pets

Though I'm not gonna spend too much time talking about the Virtual Pets that started the franchise, a brief introduction I feel is necessary. The Digital Monster was a new interactive virtual pet introduced by Bandai in 1997 as a more "masculine" version of their Tamagotchi-line, the biggest difference being the introduction of connecting your pet with another pet and battling them to see which one was the superior Digimon. Otherwise it mostly played the same as the Tamagotchi and required you to constantly take care of your Digimon by feeding it, cleaning up after it, and making sure it goes to sleep on time or else it could suffer a premature death (or "returning to the mainframe" as the English version went with) and you'd be forced to start over with a new Digimon. How you raise your Digimon also determines what Digimon they'll evolve into, each one of the original five versions of virtual pets having a different starting Digimon that goes through Egg -> Baby -> In-Training -> Rookie -> Champion -> Ultimate though it takes a lot of time and dedication to reach the later levels.

0BvWMSD.jpg

Ver. 1's Digimon roster. Devimon and Monzaemon were called "Darkmon" and "Teddymon" in original official material

In the West as far as I know the Digimon Virtual Pet basically ended with the original version, though in Japan they proved popular enough and lasted for quite a long time with new and improved models being regularly released throughout the franchise's history adding more features and of course new Digimon---the last new version though was in 2010. What we did get though in the West were the Digivice toys based on the show which weren't virtual pets but rather pedometer-based "RPGs", though our versions were simplified compared to the Japanese versions...for example, the Frontier Digivice in Japan could actually read barcodes while ours merely worked by detecting motion such as waving your hand in front of it. Recently in Japan an updated version of the original Digimon Adventure Digivice was released in Japan to celebrate the franchise's 15th anniversary through unfortunately there's likely very little chance of us getting it over in the West.

L8TGBDG.jpg

15th Anniversary Digivice. New Digimon are included not originally featured including the Mega Evolutions of the other Chosen Digimon. Never Ever.

I owned the first Digital Monsters V-Pet, the one featuring Agumon, and I gotta say it was more frustrating than fun and I never got past ending up with Numemon---the Digivices, on the other hand, were my jam! The only one I didn't have was the Digimon Tamers one and I used to bring them with me to school, daycare, etc. to rack up steps and they were quite a blast---I also had the D-Terminal accessory which linked to them and acted like a PokeDex providing basic information about all the Digimon within. I'm surprised Bandai hasn't made a 1:1 version of the original V-Pets for phones, I've seen a few fan projects attempt that but the ones I've tried out happen to be extremely buggy but since folks carry their phones with them everywhere already having a virtual pet on said phone totally makes sense to me.

If you're interested in the Digital Monster V-Pets File Island has a very comprehensive guide to the various devices.

Next time I'll talk about the first ever Digimon video game, and it's not the one you're thinking of.

True Fire

Digimon has always been the lowkey superior underdog, like Pepsi or DC Comics. Not everyone will like Digimon, but it doesn't matter because it's amazing for people who do.

Toxi

Banned
Whoa Birdie you might want to slow down

You're gonna kill yourself writing twenty paragraphs a day on cartoon video game monsters for our enjoyment.
0BvWMSD.jpg

Ver. 1's Digimon roster. Devimon and Monzaemon were called "Darkmon" and "Teddymon" in original official material
Huh, kinda crazy Betamon and Airdramon were equivalent to Agumon and Greymon before the anime came around.

Qwark

I'm playing through Digimon World 2 right now, and I love it. Yeah, it's slow, very slow, which makes it perfect for multitasking. I just love the grind.

Also, holy crap, digivices are expensive. I guess I won't be getting one of those.

Bishop89

Outside of the original red/silver/diamond generations, I preferred Digimon.

The games were unique and not samey like pokemon. I'm still a massive pkm fan but yeh.

Everyone had the tomogotchi Digimon stuff at school, it was awesome. There was also a cheat where you'd put a clear plastic thing in the slot to try and glitch it to digivole I think, can't remember.

Digimon 1 is ass.

Digimon 2 I had heaps of fun with but the dungeons were extremely frustrating.

Digimon 3 was probably my favourite. It was very open, nice and colourful and charming, digivolutions were great, no real complaints really.

Digimon card battle was another great game, so addicting.

Digimon rumble arena 1 was a good smash clone.
Same as the second one.

Digimon world 4 didn't really like it to be honest, or maybe I didn't give it enough of a chance.

That new Digimon "rumble" game for the PS3 is one of the worst games I have ever played, only reason I bought it was coz I had a Digimon itch I needed to scratch and cyber sleuth wasn't out yet! Do not play it, waste of money. Extreme budget title.

Cyber sleuth, one of the most fun/addicting games in the franchise. Capturing / digivolving is streamlined and isn't a drag / grind and it's got a cool story and great presentation.

Qwark

Digimon 1 is ass.

Digimon 2 I had heaps of fun with but the dungeons were extremely frustrating.

Digimon 3 was probably my favourite. It was very open, nice and colourful and charming, digivolutions were great, no real complaints really.

1&3 are reversed for me. I loved the first game, it was just so different than anything else I had played and I loved exploring the world and figuring out the system. I hated the third one though, it looked good, but it felt like a clunky mess. I just remember getting to this puzzle with invisible walls trying to cross servers and it was so frustrating that I just quit the game. I just did not enjoy that game.

I never played Card Battle but have not heard very good things. Same with the early Rumble games.

I liked 4, but I played that through with a friend and it was probably a lot less fun playing solo.

I have Data Squad but have never touched it, I should really give it a try.

I got All-Star Rumble for like $3 during a sale and it was barely worth that price, just such a mediocre game.

I absolutely loved Re:Digitize (probably because of my love of the first one), Cyber Sleuth has been great so far, and I'm really looking forward to Next Order.

hampig

Digimon 1: is by far the best in the series. I would kill for the remake to make it here. Really fun, unique gameplay.

Digimon 2: was fine. Felt like a normal RPG to me.

Digimon 3: I don't remember a thing about.

Digimon Rumble Arena: is jank as fuck, but I really liked it a lot.

Digimon World 4: was a TERRIBLE Gauntlet clone. Hated it.

Cyber sleuth: Is fine. There are a ton of much better rpgs out there though.

Subbed. I had a similar complaint about that thread. It's a dumb idea.

Your comment about CS is also spot on imo, it seemed like a lot of people were raving about it when it wasnt really all that Innovative. It's a great game, but it has a lot of flaws, a bigger budget would've helped loads.

Next time I'll talk about the first ever Digimon video game, and it's not the one you're thinking of.
I know what you're talking about, but past wiki I don't know much about it. Thanks for acknowledging it!

People are commenting about their game preferences so I'll do that as well I guess.
Dw1 is my one of my favourite games of all time, I can write paragraphs on the stuff this game did right, the only major issue being the requirement of a digivolution guide. Re digitized just didn't feel the same to me, but was pretty fun if you boosted its speed during running+training. the wonderswan games were fun, but pretty long, their continued storyline was great though. Dw3 was good but I felt there was a lot of jrpg filler to make it longer than it needed to be. Dw4 and all star rumble need to be buried and forgotten. Dw2 also wasn't that great but it was more OK than terrible.
The card game was great, the battle sprit & t he first rumble were good as well but the rumble arena 2 has to be the best digimon fighting game.

J-Tier

I loved Digimon World 2. Played so many hours of that.

Digimon Rumble Arena was janky, but was fun.

Didn't like Digimon World 4 as much. The weapon equips just didn't feel like Digimon imo.

There was a GBA Digimon Rumble that I had fun with.

Loved Cyber Sleuth.

Beartruck

I once actively spent a week in the summer trying to get Metalgreymon in the v-pet. I got greymon, I won all the fights I needed to win, had all the parameters set up. On the day he was supposed to evolve, the screw to the battery compartment came loose and I lost all my data. Never again.

Digimon 1: is by far the best in the series. I would kill for the remake to make it here. Really fun, unique gameplay.

Re: Digitize for PSP has very similar gameplay to the original digimon world, and it has a fan translation.

You're gonna kill yourself writing twenty paragraphs a day on cartoon video game monsters for our enjoyment.

Huh, kinda crazy Betamon and Airdramon were equivalent to Agumon and Greymon before the anime came around.
I was surprised op wrote in so much depth in so little time.
I always wondered why they gave a major side character such a underwhelming digimon.

How long until we get to the part where greymon ruins the game completely for you by coming to town.
LOL

I once actively spent a week in the summer trying to get Metalgreymon in the v-pet. I got greymon, I won all the fights I needed to win, had all the parameters set up. On the day he was supposed to evolve, the screw to the battery compartment came loose and I lost all my data. Never again.

Dooooo it. Then proceed to puddle stomp everything which stood in your way last time. Having to reset the ps1 each time I got surprise encountered, training up a strong enough digimon was one of the funnest parts of my first play through.

Watch Da Birdie

Though his name probably is from betabeta, squishy, it's funny how Betamon became the "beta" to Agumon...

In fact of the Chosen Digimon in Adventure only Agumon, Gabumon, Patamon, Biyomon, and Palmon---Gomamon, Tentomon, and Gatomon didn't come till the Pendulum V-Pets. Though Kabuterimon was in the first V-Pet so Tentomon actually came after the fact.

I'm surethe writeup will be Wonderful :)

Nope, we actually got two games before our first WS entry.

I loved 4 way more than any Pokémon game I've ever played for some reason. I mean come on, it's a repetitive POS and yet I stilled played the shit outta that game until I got robbed.

I love Digimon. I've always kept up with the anime series even though my interest with anime in general has been wanning over the years. Now, when it comes to the actual video games, I'd say that they're hit and miss. I still believe that the older titles of the franchise (The PS1/PS2 era) aren't much fun while the newer titles (Handheld era) are really good.

Unlike most people, I don't get the deal with the first World game. It's alright, but I found it more annoying and tedious than anything. I hated World 2 but I loved World 3 even though it was literally Backtracking: The Video Game. I didn't really care for World 4 either.

But then, Namco found a formula that worked that actually hooked me into the newer games. Okay, not so much as Pokemon, which by the way, I also have a huge love for Pokemon so when it came down to debate, I can't really hate either since these two franchises are part of my childhood.

Anyway, with the new DS series, or the handheld games in general, I finally felt like Digimon games have been improving slowly. I loved Dusk and Dawn and I think Cyber Sleuth is a great game. I see now that they are bringing back the first World's formula which works for me as long as they make it a lot more fun than what it was back on the PS1.

Edit: btw I bought All Stars Rumble day one and still to this day never touched it lol

Watch Da Birdie

qSy4COA.jpg

Pictured here is the entire cast of the first Digital Monster V-Pet

Digital Monster Version. S: Digimon Tamers
Sega Saturn - September 1998 (JP)

This is the first Digimon video game ever released, excluding the Virtual Pets themselves, and debuted shortly after the original toys before the debut of the anime which turned Digimon into a multi-media franchise. The game is heavily based on the original series of Digimon Virtual Pets and features 70 Digimon including the Digimon featured in the original four versions of the Digital Pets as well as 14 brand-new Digimon making their debut including Gatomon---these new Digimon would later be implemented in the Virtual Pet series through the second line of V-Pets, Digimon Pendulum.

pam97cM.png

The popular distaff counterparts to Angemon and Devimon, Angewomon (not pictured) and Lady Devimon, make their debut!

Version. S was never released outside of Japan and is pretty obscure since it came before the anime which helped put Digimon in the public conscious, being released on the Sega Saturn probably didn't help its popularity either, but the game is basically a console version of the V-Pets. The game is all about raising a Digimon from Baby to Ultimate (the Mega level by the way didn't come about till later in the franchise) and follows the same Digivolution paths of the original V-Pets, though it seems you can obtain special Digimon Eggs which will hatch into Digimon who have the capability of evolving into the 14 New Digimon. Like with the Virtual Pet much of your time is spent observing your Digimon and training, feeding, and cleaning up after them with battles a mostly simplistic affair---it seems you can power up your Digimon through a simple button-match game but otherwise the majority of playtime is spent preparing your Digimon for battle rather than actually engaging in battle. The goal of the game is to defeat 5 hackers around File Island to obtain coins, though if you lose to a hacker you lose said coin.

mRIZ3oF.jpg

One of the "Hackers". Their ranks also include a mad scientist, an oil tycoon, a DJ, and a pirate...

One thing interesting about the game is the presentation as it lives up to its "Digital" moniker by being framed as the player playing interacting with the Digimon via a computer interface, and this is extended to various items being treated as "files" which the player collects. You also obtain various files allowing you to change the appearance and music of the interface, and furthermore the game also utilizes a rare mouse attachment for the Sega Saturn known as the "Mega Mouse" that was used with the Saturn's NetLink feature. Sadly Digital Monster Version S. didn't have any online functionality that utilized the NetLink though this isn't surprising since it wasn't a big game and very few games actually used said feature---by the way, by comparison, the first Pokemon game with online capabilities was actually the Japanese version of Pokemon Crystal through the use of a special accessory that allowed the GameBoy Color to utilize a cellphone service.

bx90EHk.png

Oh, so that's why they're called "Digital" Monsters!

I had a Sega Saturn as a kid and learned about this game shortly after getting into Digimon and always wanted to try it out, though looking back it seems like it'd be a game the majority of folks would get bored with rather quickly due to being a simple simulator. I'm not sure I could even play it on my (still working last time I checked) Sega Saturn since I believe the NA Sega Saturn is region locked and cannot play Japanese games though apparently the inverse isn't true for some reason. Well, this entry is rather short due to the limited information on the title though if you want to look into how the game plays a bit more there's a decent FAQ on GameWinners. I totally forgot GameWinners was even a thing, now there's a website that pretty much died out.

... Why am I not surprised that the first Digimon video game was a Saturn title? Though one can actually quickly check the list of Digimon games in chonological order over on Wikipedia.

I think there's numerous reasons why Digimon faltered compared to Pokemon that were completely avoidable (Bandai's insistence on handheld titles being on a handheld that had absolutely no western presence whatsoever, the lack of social functionality present in Pokemon's design, the lack of gameplay consistency across titles), but that's probably better off in a dedicated thread. But I do think that the Digimon anime series always had more interesting narratives than all of the main Pokemon games and anime, and while the games were more mixed, you've got more in-depth stuff like the Tamer sub-series with Ryo and the likes of Cyber Sleuth.

Qwark

I'm not sure I could even play it on my (still working last time I checked) Sega Saturn since I believe the NA Sega Saturn is region locked and cannot play Japanese games though apparently the inverse isn't true for some reason.

This is true, but you can get around region lock by using an Action Replay or modding your console. I'm half tempted to try this out but it looks pretty tough to understand with all of the Japanese, and I'm sure it's stupid expensive to buy. Man, I wish I had gotten into Saturn collecting much sooner.

Great writeup, I had never even heard of this game. You can really see some of the features that would go on to be prominently featured in newer games.

Edit: Actually, the price is not bad at all. Just bought one off Ebay, should be here sometime in the next month!

I remember having one of the first series v-pets back in the day. Couldn't mange to get any of my digimon past champion...

Also got the D-3 digivice (Adventure 02) and the D-arc (Tamers). Looking back, the most fun I ever had with these things was probably playing that block-stacking minigame on the D-3.

AlanOC91

I'll describe my own experience with Digimon World (1999) on the PS1.

This was pretty much the first Digimon game I have ever played. I asked my Dad to rent me Crash Bandicoot 2 but he rented this for me instead since it was out of stock. I never knew this came existed before he came back to me with it. I never saw it on TV, never saw it in a magazine and never saw it in a game store, although I wouldn't have looked very hard.
After playing this rented copy, I instantly fell in love and a week later my father purchased it for me for my birthday. Now on to the game itself, Digimon World is essentially a pet tamer/battle simulator. You start with a Rookie digimon when the game begins (baby -> rookie -> champion -> ultimate) and it simply throws you into the world and let's you get on with things. The goal of the game is to fill a relatively empty city with NPC Digimon you encounter in the wild. These NPCs will take the role as shop keepers, fast travel, item storage, etc. You build up what is called "Prosperity Points" with each recruitment (3 points per recruitment, sometimes more afaik), 100 being the max.

DW2HiddenContent3.png

This is where the fun begins, the game is basically one giant sandbox and I'd recommend that anyone who plays it attempt to play it blind when it comes to digivolutions. The majority of the fun comes with training your digimon through battles and the gym. The gym raises stats extremely quickly but if you aren't careful you could spend your digimons whole lifespan training until death, that's right, death. Your digimon will eventually die which can be pretty hard on you, especially when your young. When your digimon dies your given a new egg that hatches into a baby and so the cycle continues once again. You feed, potty train, praise and scold your digimon and these of these have an influence on who they digivolve into. Let them poop constantly on the ground instead of using the toilet? Then they will digivolve into a "poop" sludge digimon with terrible stats. Feed them constantly so they get really heavy? They may digivolve into a heavy dinosaur type.

Battles are done in a strange way. Essentially your digimon does his own thing. He will wonder around and occassionally use attacks defend in the battle. What you can do is shout different orders to him based on his intelligence. These orders are pretty much "do your own thing", "attack", "defend" and then you get to specifically choose an ability to spam.

digimon_world_1_battle_end_by_bowser1027-d367vvt.jpg

Overall, it was poorly received by cirtics but it ended up being a bit of a cult classic on the PS1, not to mention one of my favorite games of all time. I recently completed it 100% and playing it now, when I am much older, all I can say is that it's just....weird. It's a weird game, almost like it was the developers first time ever making a PS1 game.

Here are some of the reasons to highlight that:
- On the NTSC version there is a jukebox that plays the game OST. It never works in NTSC and will crash the game.
- The PAL version text is too big and CONSTANTLY cut off in menus and sometimes during conversations.
- There is a "lucky attempt" you can choose to do when training in the gym. It's basically a slot reels. You will fail this every single time. Someone checked the code and verified it's impossible to win.
- On occasion, if you spam through conversation text too quicklly mashing "X" then the game will pause and not move onto the next dialog box essentially freezing the game (even though animations and everything are still moving).
- Some digimon conversations can softlock the game (like above), I only know if Biymon and Birdaramon. "The Biyomon softlock is very likely to happen when you enter the trigger zone at a certain X coordinate. As you can see in this video, it happens when you're almost perfectly alinged with Biyomon, so the easiest way to avoid the softlock is go a bit more to the right."
- In NTSC version, Having more than 700 Brain will reduce MP consumption by 5%, more than 800 Brain by 10%, more than 900 Brain by 15%, and having 999 Brain by 20%. If you achieve this in battle, i.e, hit 700 brains, it will present a message saying the MP consumption has been reduced and then softlock the game. You need t do it in the gym. Also, it took years to even discover this as reaching 700+ brains is very rare.

There is TONS of other quirky little glitches and secrets still being found to this day. It boggles my mind how much was put in the game and undiscovered. I recommend people going to the Neoseeker Digimon World forum for more information. Some really hardcore guys there who know the game inside out.

Watch Da Birdie

That's a great write-up!

And Digimon World is the next entry coming up! I'm not that excited to talk about this one since I already did at great length and it's the most well-known, I'm looking forward to talking about the more obscure titles, but I'll hopefully be able to provide some new insights. How it factors into the franchise overall is surprising, and the difference in expectations between Japanese players and Western players.

Watch Da Birdie

C0EFZSE.jpg

A special Virus Metal Greymon Digi-Battle card, using the art here, was included in the first copies.

Digimon World
Playstation - January 1999 (Japan)/May 23 2000 (U.S.)

Now we come to the first Digimon game ever released in the West, and in my opinion still the greatest of all Digimon titles, Digimon World! In Japan this game was released a few months before the premiere of the anime, though here in the U.S. it was released near the end of Adventure's dub---it's surprising to see though how short of a turn-around there was from the Japanese release of the anime to the Saban release here in the West, it was only about a five month gap! Anyway while Japanese players went into this game with Digimon being limited to mostly V-Pets, English players such as myself went into it expecting similarities to the anime only to have the rug pulled out when we found out it was quite a different beast---a lot of the traits introduced in the show, such as Digimon only temporarily evolving to fight, were nowhere to be found and while the majority of Digimon had appeared in the show a lot of well-known ones happened to be completely absent including Gomamon and Gatomon, though the other Chosen Digimon did appear minus many of their Digivolutions. Other oddities that may have surprised fans of the show would be the fact that MetalGreymon, famously appearing on the front of the box, was a dark purple instead of the classic orange (he was originally a Virus Digimon until the show introduced a more heroic Vaccine variation), the Digimon had multiple Digivolution possibilities, and instead of Garudamon and MegaKabuterimon Birdramon and Kabuterimon (who evolved from different Digimon as Tentomon was only an NPC too) Digivolved into Phoenixmon (Hououmon) and HerculesKabuterimon who in this game were Ultimates (I'm using dub terminology by the way) instead of Megas, like they were in the later V-Pets and when they appeared as Sora and Izzy's Mega Digimon years later in the Adventure continuations. The PAL version lied even more by using anime stock art showcasing all the Chosen Children's Digimon, including the absent Gomamon, as the game's box art.

O4ewNkD.jpg

Seriously, did anyone actually care about Gomamon when they watched the show?

One thing about the Digimon series is that it's pretty difficult to figure out where and when a Digimon debuted---with Pokemon it's very simple as they're slowly revealed through pre-release material, or appearing in a film, and then a bulk of them are "officially" released with the release of a new Generation of games. With Digimon though you had the V-Pets, the anime, the video games, the CCG, and even the mangas introducing new Digimon all the time without much uniformity and the only way to really figure out where a Digimon debuted was to examine things chronologically. Digimon World primarily featured all the Digimon from the original V-Pet as Digimon the player could train, and a couple from the first three Pendulum V-Pets that had been released (though the release of Digimon World and the Pendulums are only a few months apart, so I imagine World was made without really considering them---especially since they introduced Megas which World lacks), but also featured a host of completely new Digimon that as far as I can tell, since neither the CCG nor anime had been released yet, made their debut in Digimon World including Jijimon, Machinedramon, and Myotismon who ended up becoming heavy-hitters in the franchise. Digimon World is also notable for introducing a host of Digimon who were simply palette swaps of their more popular versions, such as the off-color Gabumon Psychemon and the "evil" Patamon Tsukaimon, which as a kid I recall made the franchise feel a little less special than Pokemon since there was less individuality between the Digimon---though there's still a ton of unique Digimon and the re-colors have gone on to make various appearances throughout the franchise, Psychemon ending up as an important character in the last part of Xros Wars a few years ago. So, yeah, Digimon World seems like a pretty important game when it came to expanding the world of the franchise, but it seems like most of the Digimon they introduced (minus the re-colors) would've been introduced to the franchise shortly regardless of its release through the Pendulum V-Pets and the anime.

uxr5MVK.jpg

All the available Digimon you can raise. There are a couple of scrapped Digimon in the game's data, three of which (MetalEtemon, Panjyamon, Gigadramon) can be gotten through GameShark.

Though most of us English players went into Digimon World expecting it to be a 'Mons game akin to Pokemon and Dragon Quest Monsters, Digimon World is a different beast entirely and to this day is an extremely unique game that actually used the strengths of the Digimon franchise, its origin as a V-Pet, to its advantage while later games perhaps tried a bit too hard to ape more popular games for quick popularity and accessibility. As the opening cutscene showcases Digimon World takes the classic V-Pet games to the next dimension and like Version. S could be called a "simulation of a simulation", though far flashier and with new elements introduced to give it more interactiveness---mainly a fully 3D, third-person world to explore alongside your Digimon. Digimon World is not a monster catching game, it's a monster raising game and is very demanding of the player---this isn't like Pokemon where you basically have complete control over your monster and they're your loyal friend who obeys your every command without question (as long as you have the right Badge), you'll quickly learn in Digimon World that Digimon can be real pains to raise and are demanding. All the various systems in this game ultimately come down to playing it on your Digimon's schedule as you'll need to account for them getting hungry, them having to go to the bathroom, them having to sleep, and ultimately dying. And these all are interconnected too, if you don't feed your Digimon they can get sick or may die early, if you feed them too much they'll need to go to the bathroom more, and if you train them too much they'll get tired, but if you don't train them enough they can't Digivolve into their higher forms and you'll end up with one of the literal trash Digimon such as Numemon. In fact the majority of first-time players will likely experience the same scenario---the game world becomes covered with shit while their Agumon ends up evolving into Numemon instead of Greymon, who thankfully does have the advantage of cleaning up said shit by eating it. Yeah, players who went into this game expecting Pokemon with Digimon were in for a big surprise.

7RmoB8X.jpg

The average player's experience with the game, ending up with trash Digimon like Numemon and Sukamon.

The main meat of the game is of course raising your Digimon, and while the first Digimon you get---Agumon or Gabumon---begins in its Rookie stage after it inevitably dies you'll be forced to start over from one of four Digimon eggs and then go through Baby -> In-Training -> Rookie to get back to where you began, and following that there's the Champion and then Ultimate level to work towards. Getting a good Champion is a fairly difficult task in itself, but getting an Ultimate is far more challenging and the majority of players will likely never be able to reach that point since it requires a serious demand of time, concentration, and willingness to experiment. Like the V-Pets Digimon can Digivolve into a variety of forms depending on their attributes, and in Digimon World this is quite complex involving stats, body weight, and "care mistakes", and even then it seems there's some randomness to the process when it comes to what attributes are taken into consideration when it's time for a Digimon to move on to the next level. I remember the official Prima guide, for example, didn't even seem to fully understand how to get certain Digimon and to this day there's still a lot of research being done into various mechanics of Digimon World which are almost purposefully obtuse and invisible---EVs and IVs are child's-play in comparison. But this obtuseness is Digimon World's biggest strength, in my opinion, as it feels absolutely great as you slowly begin to discover the game's various intricacies and against all odds end up with the Digimon you wanted, though it's also quite exhausting and it's understandable while this game didn't jive with a lot of players and Bandai changed things up with the later games especially when it came to simplifying Digivolution.

ZgN1wZB.jpg

You'll be spending a lot of time at the game's central gym, Green Gym. One important quest to focus on is improving it by getting to Beetle Land.

Outside of raising Digimon the game has a story as well where File Island---which has been around since the franchise's inception it seems though Western players know it first-and-foremost from the anime---has fallen into disarray as all of its Digimon have begun to go feral. The game has a more involved plot near the end, one which later games in the World series have actually picked up on, but the majority of players will never progress that far enough and the rest of the game doesn't really have any real plot progression besides the individual stories behind the various Digimon you meet up with. One neat thing about the game is that is has a system somewhat like Suikoden or Skies of Arcadia where you have an expanding "base", in this case File City, which grows throughout the game as you befriend various NPC Digimon who will offer new services, create shortcuts, or just laze around the city and give it a bit more atmosphere. The game is fairly open too, as you can progress through the game in a variety of paths and recruit Digimon to File City in various orders, though there are certain Digimon you'll want to immediately seek out to make the game easier. Time management is an important part of this game and you'll never be able to do everything with one Digimon as they'll die out before you have a chance, instead you really need to plan when playing this game and while raising a Digimon then decide what quest you'll take on next---think of this like Majora's Mask but with an even stricter and randomized time limit. Basically the first few days with a new Digimon involves training them at the File City Gym, and then you'll have a few days left over to explore once they Digivolve to a suitable level. The game becomes slightly easier as you progress due to access to more resources, though regardless you'll always have to start from a Digimon Egg once your Digimon dies. There is a system known as "Tamer Levels" which cause your Eggs to hatch as slightly stronger Digimon that inherit a percentage of their predecessors stats, but raising the Tamer Level is also difficult and somewhat obtuse, and will require you to raise some strong Digimon first without the help of the stat inheritance.

yudMPXV.png
->
MpxIov4.png

File City will slowly expand as more Digimon return, many of them opening their own businesses to help you out.

The battle system in Digimon World is a bit more interactive than the V-Pets, but it's partially real-time as opposed to turn-based like Pokemon. Your Digimon runs around the field fighting enemy Digimon while you mainly give it commands and toss items---at first you can only command your Digimon to do basic stuff like go on the offensive/go on the defensive but as you raise their Brains through training you can give them more specific commands including what moves to use, but there's still a randomness factor as your Digimon will occasionally just not act, or the move it uses will miss the opponent. Technique acquirement is simultaneously pretty odd, raising Brains will sometimes give your Digimon a new Technique, or you'll learn them from enemy Digimon. Once you learn a Technique all future Digimon have access to it, but each Digimon have specific Techniques they're actually capable of equipping. There's also a bar that fills up during battle allowing you to unleash a powerful finishing move, but on occasion such moves can end up missing or they can be interrupted and you'll have to fill up the bar all over again. Battling in Digimon World actually isn't that necessary, and in many cases avoiding the Wild Digimon is an important skill all itself to progress through the game---besides money the stat gain from battling is paltry compared to training and you risk your Digimon getting hurt, though some Digimon do need to battle enough to evolve. You should mainly focus on battling the recruitable Digimon, many which you have to fight to win over to your side, and save your healing items for them. Losing in Digimon World is also a big deal as your Digimon will lose one of three hearts and if all three hearts empty out they'll prematurely die, and dying from battle can cause you to lose techniques plus I also believe the Tamer Level stat gain won't be applied either so try and avoid that if at all possible. There's a multiplayer element in Digimon World as well where you can battle others through Digimon stored on your Memory Card, but I've never bothered with this feature nor the in-game Tournaments.

s3FUi8F.png

The infamous battle against Greymon, possibly one of the hardest fights in the game if you're not prepared.

Digimon World is plagued by many strange design choices, some work, some don't, and furthermore there are quite a lot of bugs present especially in the PAL version which can completely grind your progress to a halt---and there's also Greymon, who if you talk to a certain character can basically trap you as he'll continuously challenge you to a fight when you leave the starting area and just keep killing you. Don't think about using that jukebox you unlock to listen to the game's (pretty nice) OST either as it doesn't work and will just freeze your game. But despite all its flaws Digimon World happens to be one of those games that you never really see anymore, a unique experience that is filled with the type of bugs that aren't due to rushed AAA development, but a low-key team attempting an ambitious project that hasn't really been done before. I think the style of the original Digimon World is the style the franchise should've mainly stuck to and improved on, though unfortunately the series would go in a completely different direction and only just recently has returned to the style of the original Digimon World with, in my opinion, less-than-stellar results but I'll talk about that when we get to Digimon Re:Digitize down the line.

klg2deg.png

The game's final boss that few will reach, Machinedramon. Though a somewhat unimportant villain in the show he has a larger role in a couple of the games.

I happened to have replayed through this about a year ago, so here's further information on Digimon World provided by me in this LTTP thread. Also check out the various guides posted around the net if you want a sense of how deep and surprising the mechanics in this game get, it's Dark Souls before Dark Souls was even a thing. And here's a comprehensive Let's Play by Orange Fluffy Sheep where a few of the in-game shots I used came from.

Next time I'll start by introducing a system you may not have heard of but saw quite a lot of Digimon games...

tensuke

Love the thread, op! Digimon is one of my favorite franchises next to Gundam and Metal Gear. If I could make a suggestion, I'd say to update the op with links to the new posts you make so they're not buried in the thread! I'd hate to miss anything you write.

Also, CS is great but I wish it had the same stat system the DS games had (eg digivolving/degenerating at higher levels gave you base stat bonuses). I guess it means you can't just grind your way through battles, but I liked having uber powerful rookies running the show. Either way it's a great direction in general for Digimon RPGs, though I hope they can refine it a bit more in the future (and never ever try that data squad battle system ever again)

Watch Da Birdie

Oh yeah, I need to do links to the entries. I let the Pokemon thread get too unruly and long before doing that, and now I don't have the patience to do that, but it's more manageable in this thread with less entries.

Metal Gear

Funny you say this because I honestly consider Digimon World to be a "stealth game" in a way, a very important strategy is to learn how the enemy Digimon move so you can avoid them early on to get to the Digimon you want to recruit first.

I remember spending so much time with World trying to not get the trash ones. Eventually got a Patamon and felt like the king of the world.

Qwark

It took me so long to finally get an ultimate in World 1. My first one was Phoenixmon, and I kept going back to it because it was the only one I could get regularly.

I'm curious to read what you didn't like about Re:Digitize. I liked it a lot and thought it was a pretty good continuation of what was started with World 1.

sensui-tomo

s3FUi8F.png

The infamous battle against Greymon, possibly one of the hardest fights in the game if you're not prepared.

and there's also Greymon, who if you talk to a certain character can basically trap you as he'll continuously challenge you to a fight when you leave the starting area and just keep killing you. =.

Good job, you went into detail about the worst thing that game had and yet i love this game with all my being, heres hoping Next Order comes out to the west and gets the cyber slueth treatment.

Luigi87

Nice write-up.

I had two of those Digimon v-pets...

Now here is something that to this day I still have no idea how it happened. One of mine ended up digivolving into a Numemon. At that point I said screw it and just left it. One day my sister asked if she could mess around with it, 'cause she was bored. I said sure, and I guess she just did so for a short bit. A few days later I hear it beeping, look at it, and Numemon became Monzaemon. I was at a loss.

Excellent write-up. Might as well bring in my thoughts as to how Bandai screwed up with Digimon, especially the games:

1. They released the handheld entries on a system that was never released outside of Asia, and could never have been able to compete with the juggernaut that was the Game Boy line. The Wonderswan, as neat as it was, was the worst possible platform for Digimon, and this tied in to issue of western viewers of Digimon Tamers being completely bewildered by the appearance of Ryo Akiyama, who seemingly appeared out of the blue with little explanation aside from apparently being a former rival of Rika's.
  2. No real social features to compete with Pokemon. Pokemon pretty much built itself on being as much of a social experience as being a good single-player RPG, with battling and trading.
  3. No consistency with gameplay. The Digimon World games are obvious displays of this problem, 1 was a V-Pet thing, 2 was a dungeon crawler, 3 was a JRPG, 4 was an awkward and weird action RPG akin to Gauntlet. They all had varying levels of quality.
  4. The 'main' games that did get released to the west had no ties to the much more popular anime series. There was spin-offs like the fighting games, but by the time the tie-in RPG to Digimon Savers came out, it was little too late. Whereas Pokemon's anime was directly tied to the world of the games.
  5. The 'edgier' early style didn't really cut it as much for the general audience. The early art was, well... Interesting, but a poor choice for a franchise marketed to kids. Again, by the time they actually switched the art style to something less weird and overall more consistently better, it was too late.

Honestly, I think Bamco might be better off reinventing the series in the vein of Cyber Sleuth's more mature tone to distance itself from the likes of Pokemon and Yokai Watch, both of which basically have the non-mobile market for the mons genre cornered, and Puzzle and Dragons, which eats mobile profits for breakfast. Besides, Digimon basically started off as an 'edgier' alternative to Tamagotchi and Pokemon, so it's only fitting that they shed the need to try and appeal to kids and focus on the only audience that actually appreciates it.

... Incidentally, anyone else think that a "Digimon meets Stargate SG-1" sorta setup would be rad as hell? Replace going places in space with going places in the digital world and give us a small core team like Savers except with adults with actual military experience, and you've got a good foundation for something sweet.

I recently attempted to replay Digimon World 3 to see if it held up as much as my memory thought it did. Holy shit, it does NOT. Graphically it looks fine, but that's all it really has going for it. The game is padded out like crazy with backtracking, which by itself isn't too bad. But there's also no quick travel options. Ok, fine. But there's also no Repel equivalent. Which means you're going to be going back and forth across 10 or so screens (not roundtrip), all or most of them with random encounters.

It's no Digimon World 4 (which despite being the origin of Digimon World DS's stat/digivolution system, is still ass-juice), but it's still completely awful. I want to replay DW2, but after what DW3 put me through, I'm scared shitless.

Qwark

Personally, I like the experimentation. It creates a lot of different ways to play, and I'd probably get sick of the formula if they all followed the World 1 or CS approach.

I recently attempted to replay Digimon World 3 to see if it held up as much as my memory thought it did. Holy shit, it does NOT. Graphically it looks fine, but that's all it really has going for it. The game is padded out like crazy with backtracking, which by itself isn't too bad. But there's also no quick travel options. Ok, fine. But there's also no Repel equivalent. Which means you're going to be going back and forth across 10 or so screens (not roundtrip), all or most of them with random encounters.

It's no Digimon World 4 (which despite being the origin of Digimon World DS's stat/digivolution system, is still ass-juice), but it's still completely awful. I want to replay DW2, but after what DW3 put me through, I'm scared shitless.

I really hated DW3. It looked nice, yes, but it was so clunky. Everything took freaking forever. I remember I quit because there was a part where you had to cross a server or something so you actually went inside of it and navigate a maze with invisible walls and random portals that led to different parts of the world. That was too much for me, and I just dropped the game.

I actually had a pretty good time with World 4, but I also played it exclusively multiplayer, and I think that adds a lot to it.

I'm replaying World 2 right now, and to me it holds up, but I also accepted the issues that it had when it was new. It's kind of slow, but I love it.

I actually had a pretty good time with World 4, but I also played it exclusively multiplayer, and I think that adds a lot to it.

I like what 4 tried to do, which was basically aping the X-Men Legends concept, but the execution went terribly.

EDIT: Cyber Sleuth is on sale this week on PSN, which I am ecstatic for because I've been meaning to play it for a hot minute.
EDIT 2: I remember liking DW2, warts and all, but it's been more then a decade since I played it so I have no idea how I'd like it now.

Watch Da Birdie

Before we talk about our next game it's time to introduce an important handheld system when it comes to the Digimon franchise...

bnkC7YQ.png

The gang's all here!

Introduction to the WonderSwan

The WonderSwan is a handheld system released only in Japan by Bandai and though you may not have heard of it, at one point in time it was actually somewhat of a legitimate contender in the Japanese handheld market as it was designed specifically to compete with Nintendo's Game Boy---and in a twist of fate was conceptualized by Nintendo's own Gunpei Yokoi following his departure from Nintendo after the failure of the Virtual Boy, though unfortunately he ended up dying in a car crash before the system was released. The WonderSwan was an expansion of the Game Boy concept, and had a few key features that made it pretty notable---first and foremost it was far cheaper than the Game Boy and though it couldn't display color, it was capable of displaying up to eight shades of grey as opposed to Game Boy's four. Though by the time it was released Game Boy Color had already been released, Bandai weren't too concerned since previous color handhelds such as the Game Gear quickly failed despite that advantage over the original monochrome Game Boy. It also wasn't too expensive (even now it can be obtained rather cheaply it seems) and could run for almost forty hours on a single AA battery. Finally it was capable of saving games directly to the handheld itself, could be played either vertically or horizontally, with buttons made for each orientation mode, and the system saw games that made use of both styles about equally, and even had an official software development kit released for it known as the WonderWitch.

fDPtmw5.png

GunPey was a vertical puzzle game for the WonderSwan named for Gunpei Yokoi. It saw a few ports and sequels, including one in 2007 for the Nintendo DS.

The original WonderSwan released in Japan in 1999, and this was perhaps an unfortunate time as the Game Boy Color had just been released---but one of the biggest factors when it came to WonderSwan having trouble competing with the Game Boy was probably a certain series known as Pocket Monsters which had basically revived the Game Boy franchise, the largest amount of games being published for the system after the success of Red and Green. The WonderSwan, however, still did pretty well for itself and that was due to having a decent, but limited, amount of third-party support---while Bandai had a strong selection of anime properties to utilize, such as Gundam and Digimon, they were also aided by Namco, Capcom, and perhaps most importantly Squaresoft. Squaresoft developed remakes of various Final Fantasy games for the system which were later ported to the Game Boy Advance, and in fact some think Squaresoft mending their relationship with Nintendo may have contributed to the eventual decline of the Wonderswan as they lost a powerful third-party partner.

w5KN9g3.jpg
DtGTjOU.jpg

Popular franchises saw exclusive games produced for the WonderSwan such as Klonoa: Moonlight Museum and Guilty Gear Petit.

In 2000 the WonderSwan Color was announced to compete with the Game Boy Color, featuring the addition of color, obviously, as well as stronger processing power---like the GBC itself some WonderSwan Color games could be played on the original WonderSwan, but many were locked to the Color. But, once again, this release came a bit too late as Nintendo announced the next version of the Game Boy, the Game Boy Advance, which ended up overshadowing the WonderSwan Color though it managed to claim 8% of the Japanese market and the WonderSwan Color was when some of the handheld's most notable titles were released. The WonderSwan also had the advantage of being cheaper, and later an upgraded version (still cheaper than the GBA) entitled the WonderSwan Crystal was released, with a better screen though the same selection of games, but just couldn't compete with the power of Nintendo and in 2003 the line was officially discontinued and Bandai abandoned their venture into the hardware market.

V6axlxV.jpg

Judgement Silversword began as a homebrew title developed on the WonderWitch and was later released as an official title, one of the most lauded and expensive games for the system.

The WonderSwan was never released outside of Asia, and this is bad news if you're a Digimon fan as the WonderSwan, being developed by Digimon's parent company and all, saw quite a lot of unique Digimon titles---of these two received Asian versions, meaning that they're in English and thus playable without Japanese knowledge, and two mediocre fighters were later ported to the GBA and localized, but otherwise the majority of these games have never been fully translated, officially or otherwise, and are from a system that will likely never see digital distribution. In particular there is a series of Digimon RPGs for the system which ended up tying into the anime series, adding pseudo-canon background information regarding various events that occurred in the show such as why Ken became the Digimon Emperor and who the hell Ryo from Tamers was supposed to be, but since these games never hit shores outside of Japan foreign fans ended up being left completely in the dark. Though Bandai was fearful of releasing the WonderSwan outside of Japan due to the difficult global market, perhaps using the popularity of Digimon and turning it into the WonderSwan's "Mascot Series" and directly competing with Pokemon could've proved a fruitful endeavor---though we'll never know, of course. So next time someone brings up the rivalry between Pokemon and Digimon and bring up the anime, perhaps you should point out the true rivalry took off before that point when the Game Boy and WonderSwan were battling it out.

2p0RFpE.jpg

An Asian-version of one of the Digimon WonderSwan titles, Cathode Tamer. Note the Western logo.

Our first Digimon title for the WonderSwan isn't as exciting as some of the later titles, but its simpler nature makes it a great way to end this post with a short entry alongside the longer introduction to the WonderSwan...

VkgbFJl.jpg

I've no clue why Tyrannomon is front and center here instead of Greymon.

Digital Monster Ver. WonderSwan
WonderSwan - March 1999 (JP)

The first Digimon title released for the WonderSwan, within the same month of the system's release in fact, Digital Monster Ver. WonderSwan is a rather simplistic game that as the name suggests is basically a video game version of the V-Pets much like Digital Monster Ver. S, though with even less flair. While Ver. S featured a plot involving hackers and gathering coins, the main goal of Ver. WonderSwan is simply attempting to raise all of the game's possible Digimon and though the WonderSwan's link cable battling your friends, though there's also computer enemies you can fight with tougher opponents being unlocked as you progress. Otherwise it's all about feeding your Digimon, training your Digimon, and cleaning up after your Digimon though such a game perhaps is a nice fit for an energy-efficient handheld like the WonderSwan. There's not too much information available about this game so I don't know a lot of details, however it appears to be import friendly as the majority of menu screens are in English---and furthermore there was also a version released for the Asian market that was entirely in English, even featuring the franchise's Western logo.

4fBCA88.jpg

The game uses an isometric view for battles as opposed to the traditional side-view the V-Pet and Ver. S use.

Visually there's not much to look at with this game, like Ver. S it has a fitting menu that has a nice "digital" feel to it, though it doesn't take the motif as far as that game did. On the other hand the sprites used for the Digimon look quite nice, large and fairly detailed with each Digimon having a wide array of expressions depending on the situation. The music isn't anything to write home about from what I've heard, though through the menu you can adjust which song will play to match your preference and for a simulation game such as this that is what I'd consider basically a mandatory and important feature to include. Its quick release after the WonderSwan itself makes it pretty likely that it was a game quickly developed so that Bandai could get a game based on a notable franchise out early to win over some fans, though all in all it seems to be competent enough for what it is---not really a killer app for the WonderSwan, and if you're looking for a Digimon title for the WonderSwan I wouldn't bother with this one unless you love the V-Pets themselves.

0LUkLKM.png

The game's menu, which is in English even in the Japanese version. Choosing Data, Virus, or Vaccine has you battle Digimon of that attribute.

Ver. WonderSwan was the first Digimon game released after the anime's premiere in Japan, though it was released in the same month and the anime had just started---so there's no anime influence in this game whatsoever, though perhaps Bandai should've considered working some elements in (such as the Chosen Digimon who are missing from this game) for cross-promotion and to help sales. The game features 78 Digimon lifted from Ver. 1, 2, 3, and 4 of the original Digital Monster V-Pet---Ver. 5 for whatever reason wasn't included---as well as the Digimon featured in the first version of the Pendulum series, 1.0. Pendulum 1.0 was the first time I believe the Mega level was officially introduced to the franchise through Hercules Kabuterimon, Saber Leomon, and Metal Etemon, and since they're included in this game this also makes it the first Digimon video game to feature the Mega level by extension though Hercules Kabuterimon and Metal Etemon (in the data) were included in Digimon World as Ultimates. Like Ver. S the game also introduces six brand new Digimon to the franchise that are called "Infinity Digimon". By advancing through the computer battles far enough in the game you can obtain special Digimon Eggs that hatch into normal Baby Digimon, but with certain evolutions replaced by these new Digimon. Of the six introduced they're mainly relatively obscure ones such as Snimon and Asuramon though one in particular, Kimeramon, ended up playing a fairly substantial role in future WonderSwan titles as well as being featured in Digimon 02 as one of the first major foes.

5855dHt.jpg

Interacting with your Digimon. WarGreymon isn't in this game, but fun fact---in the Pendulum V-Pet many Megas are actually weaker than their Ultimate forms.

The battle system in-game has you control up to three of your Digimon against three computer-controlled Digimon, and it seems you press a certain direction in a RPS-style fight to try and reduce their HP---one thing I'm unsure of is if the PvP fights are different and actually take the Digimon's stats into account, since the fights I've seen against the computer seem to be basically down to what button you press. I have a feeling the PvP fights are the meat of the game and the in-game fights basically exist to train your Digimon, but I can't find decent footage of the multiplayer mode due to the majority of people who play this game only being able to afford a single copy and lacking a friend with the game to play with. One neat feature is that there's a special adapter that comes packaged with a bundle I've seen containing it, the game, and a special orange-and-blue WonderSwan that allows the game to connect to and battle with the original V-Pet! I'm not sure exactly how this works but I imagine it's similar to how the PvP battles probably work, down to how you've raised your Digimon rather than selecting a directional button like in the single-player mode.

IjAgDMn.jpg

The official Digimon Adapter sticking out of the WonderSwan.

Next time we'll talk about the real-world card game and the first game inspired by said card game---which isn't the one you're thinking of, but rather its Japanese-only sequel.

Cyber Sleuth was so good, ate all my free time for a few weeks straight

I have fond memories of Digimon World 3 but have no idea if it still holds up.

Watch Da Birdie

Once more it's time to talk about a non-video game related element of the Digimon franchise that directly ties into our next game...

Ilkp9F3.jpg

The original American Starter Set. It came with enough cards so two players could play out of the box.

Introduction to the Digimon Collectible Card Game

The Digimon Collectible Card Game is a pretty strange beast all things considered. In Japan the Digital Monsters Card Game, also known as "Hyper Colosseum", was introduced in June 1999 and lasted till 2005 where it was officially discontinued, and then replaced by three subsequent card games---Card Game Alpha, Xros Wars Super Digica Taisen, and the semi-virtual CCG Digimon Jintrix, but none of these lasted long and the original card game is the most memorable among the fans. So much so that various Hyper Colosseum promotional cards were released to tie into the 15th Anniversary, though I imagine they're more for collecting than actually playing. I'm not sure how popular the game actually was in Japan during its heyday, like if there were serious tournaments based around it or if was mainly a game for collectors, though from my understanding a ton of Digimon debuted through the card game and even when the anime was on hiatus the card game continued to introduce new meta-plot elements to the Digimon-verse such as the Royal Knights and Demon Lords. You could say the three biggest wheels of the Digimon franchise in Japan were the virtual pets, the show, and last but not least the CCG.

pScG9IL.jpg
NL1LWLg.jpg
awuzQEy.jpg

Greymon from Hyper Colosseum, Alpha, and Jintrix.

In the U.S. the CCG, known as the "Digi-Battle Card Game" was released shortly after the premier of the anime---I'm actually having trouble finding the exact date of release, but I remember buying the Starter Deck one night after I had just gotten into the show and playing it with my younger brother at a nearby restaurant. The CCG though was released in the U.S. before Digimon World I believe, considering that a promotional card was included with said game, and thus to many folks it introduced them to the more "gritty" art style used in the original V-Pets as well as the concept of the Digimon having variable evolutions as opposed to the linear evolutions seen in the show. Despite the oddity of, say, Biyomon evolving into Nanimon (which still haunts me to this day), and wondering of course why the hell Metal Greymon was purple, the Starter Deck featured all the Adventure Rookie and Champion Digimon advertised on the box, minus Gatomon, so it was easy for a fan of the show to easily be enticed by it. Unfortunately the CCG wasn't treated that well outside of Japan, and even when it first hit during the initial Digimon craze few stores seemed to carry it and never once did I hear of an actual tournament taking place for it. Both the Pokemon TCG, and Yu-Gi-Oh which was released shortly after, easily managed to overshadow the game for a wide variety of reasons---but I think the most important part was simply that Digimon's popularity here was always tied into the show, and the CCG lacked depth meaning that it really couldn't survive without promising fans the ability to play a game with their favorite Digimon. As the show died in the U.S., so did the CCG, the last Booster Pack being released during Tamers before being officially discontinued. There was actually a second, completely original CCG released in the U.S. during Digimon Frontier that was a bit more complex but it barely lasted since after Frontier Digimon truly died outside of Japan, and the artwork was pretty ugly. I bought a few cards from the second series but never got around to playing it, though to be fair I mainly just collected the first CCG as well since no one I knew even played it. And I just found out there was also a CCG released in America to tie into Digimon Fusion (Xros Wars), though I never actually saw that in stores so I assume it died pretty quickly.

G6opUse.jpg
Zai7EuH.jpg

Greymon from the second English CCG and the Digimon Fusion CCG. Yeah, Xros Wars changed the design of Greymon quite a bit yet it's still the same species.

There's also sort of a weird way the CCG was handled in the West. In the West, the Pokemon TCG and Yu-Gi-Oh were mostly 1:1 with their original counterparts---sure, a couple early cards (like the Pokemon vending machine cards) never made it over here, and there are some minor discrepancies in certain rulings, but the cards we did get were basically identical to the ones the Japanese got and the rules were more or less the same. The Digimon CCG, however, was quite different as the original Japanese rules are apparently a tad more complex (and few English fans even know how the original plays), and countless cards they got never made their way over here or were simplified by the time they did leading to the game ending up as a rather simplistic game of Rock-Paper-Scissors basically which really ruined the longevity of it. The English CCG also really slacked off when it came to the art as well, the first couple of cards in both the Japanese release and the U.S. release were the same deal, the official V-Pet art of the Digimon against a plain background, but as time went on the Japanese art became more dynamic and fun and quite a lot of the cards released later on are pretty neat looking and interesting for collectors. The U.S. version, though, ended up going with this absolutely horrible 3D art for every card in the later sets that is extremely unappealing---the Japanese version did have a couple of CG-style cards, but they were mixed in with the hand drawn ones and were the exception rather than the rule. And really, the Digimon CCG was always pretty plain looking anyway compared to Pokemon and Yu-Gi-Oh so the U.S. version sanitizing the style even more than the Japanese counterpart really didn't help matters.

LG3lJfr.jpg
ovGDthf.jpg

This 3D Greymon was used for a Japanese card, but they also had many that looked quite nice. The Japanese cards also include little "Dex" entries.

So, yeah, the Digimon CCG kind of sucked all things considered. As many people have pointed out, the game was inherently broken and lopsided due to one of its basic mechanics---Digivolution---being horribly balanced where the player who wins the first "duel" gets to keep their Digimon evolved while the other player has to start back with a Rookie, meaning the first player has a huge advantage and keeps their momentum going throughout the entire game. I also never liked how simplistic the game was, the fact you didn't get to choose your Digimon's attack made it feel like you barely had any control or strategy and the small amount of interesting card effects beyond mere point boosts also really hurt the level of play one could accomplish. I remember kind of liking Digimon over Pokemon though since you didn't have to worry about Energy, an element of the Pokemon TCG none of my friends enjoyed and we'd always ignore that mechanic, but once Yu-Gi-Oh came out and delivered a mana-free game with a ton of potential strategies Digimon really felt shallow and weak to me. I still collected the cards because I liked the monsters, and I'd make alternate games with them such as a little board-game I designed where each space was a different card, but overall I probably spent like 100$ total on Digimon cards throughout my lifetime. In comparison I may have put in 1000$ combined into Pokemon and Yu-Gi-Oh when I was a child, though nowadays I don't have any time nor room to collect them even though I can afford them far easier now and actually can find people to play with. Such is the pain of growing up!

5PuP8qu.jpg

The card game played a role in Tamers, which took place in "our world". The dub left the original Japanese card backs as-is.

Anyway, there's only one Digimon video game which is actually a virtual representation of the (Japanese) CCG, and that wasn't released till Tamers for the Wonderswan Color. The other two Digimon Card Game video games are inspired by the CCG, but don't actually feature the actual cards nor does it follow the real rules instead kind of doing their own thing...

WZMDjBo.jpg

The viral Metal Greymon once more graces the cover, the last time he'd do so...orange Metal Greymon would soon replace him.

Digimon World: Digital Card Battle
Playstation - December 1999 (JP)

The second Digimon title released for the Playstation, and technically the second "World" title though it isn't part of the numbered series but rather a spin-off, Digimon World: Digital Card Battle is NOT the Digimon: Digital Card Battle that was released in the West. That's actually this game's sequel, known as Digimon World: Digital Card Arena in Japan, and thus this is the prequel which the game we got expands upon. So, why wasn't this game released outside of Japan? Digimon World I recall actually sold pretty well in the United States, making the "Greatest Hits" list, but perhaps they were worried a game based on the fledgling CCG wouldn't do that well and instead decided to focus on the next Digimon World, Digimon World 2? This was before CCG games had really taken off, since the Pokemon TCG video game and the Yu-Gi-Oh games had yet to be released outside of Japan, so it was kind of a strange and shaky market to release a game into. Or it may simply be due to the fact the game featured Hitler Agumon. Seriously. Some of the music from this game, however, was actually featured in the English release of Digimon World: Digital Card Arena replacing various theme songs from the anime, such as the Adventure 02 opening "Target".

Qm0PVur.jpg

Just throw some shades on him and you're good to release it in the West!

Ironically though the game isn't a numbered sequel to Digimon World, it actually has far more in common with Digimon World 1 than any of the other future Digimon World titles (excluding Re:Digitize, of course) and is a pseudo-sequel of sorts, taking place once more in File Island and re-using a large amount of resources explaining how it was able to be released within a year of Digimon World in Japan. All the Digimon featured in the game are lifted from Digimon World, except for the debut of Babamon---the female counterpart to Jijimon---and Rosemon. I can't find a lot of information about the game's plot, but it doesn't seem to be actually a sequel to the plot of Digimon World but is basically a re-telling where the player character, who looks just like the protagonist of World 1, is called to File Island to help solve the case of the mystery "Bug Card" causing various glitches to effect the Digital World. To do this he must travel around File Island and battle the seven Card Leaders to retrieve the "7s" cards which will lead the way to Infinity Mountain where all the information in the Digital World is processed. I'm pretty sure that Machinedramon returns as the final boss like in Digimon World once more, highlighting his role as a major enemy in the video game series.

TgE8We8.jpg

Exploring File Island is now done through a simple menu. The removal of an explorable over world was no doubt done out of cost/time limitations.

Though the game is inspired by the Digimon CCG, it isn't an exact 1:1 representation of it---unlike, say, the Pokemon TCG video game the cards featured in this game aren't actually real cards but rather are made wholly for the game and simply feature shots from Digimon World's engine as the card art. The rules are also quite different, such as the fact that Digimon now have HP as opposed to being defeated in one hit, you're able to choose which one of the Digimon's three attacks you wish to use with some attacks having their own unique effect, and instead of having to start at the Rookie level you can play Champion and Ultimate Digimon straight from your hand though their Attack and HP will be nerfed as opposed to if you evolved them first from the lower levels. Overall the game basically plays the same as the sequel we got in the rest of the world, so I'll go a bit more into how the game plays when we get to Card Arena. By the way, there are 159 cards to collect in the game and I believe that every Digimon from Digimon World is represented except for the Fresh and In-Training Digimon since the cards being at the Rookie level.

6bE8m6V.jpg

The game's battle interface. There's no nice "field representation" like in most CCG games, and as a result things come across as cluttered.

Visually you can tell the game was rushed as it drops the exploration aspect of Digimon World and instead everything is done through menus, the game simply taking shots of Digimon World (such as File City) to use as the background during such segments. Dialogue is told through static portraits of the Digimon World models, zoomed in, and the battle interface is also extremely bland and quite cluttered. At the very least once the battle gets under way you actually get to see the 3D models fight, and they look pretty good for the time---incidentally this game was released in Japan the same month as Yu-Gi-Oh Forbidden Memories. I think both games look about graphically the same, though the Digimon models are a bit more authentic to their designs than the Yu-Gi-Oh monsters are in their first 3D debut, though there were far more they had to fit into that game so I can understand not every monster could be accurately represented. And unlike the Digimon, many Yu-Gi-Oh cards didn't fully show the monsters body meaning the 3D modelers had to fill in the gap. Well, there's not much more to say about Digital Card Battle. Don't be too upset we didn't get it because it looks as if Card Arena is pretty much an improvement in every way.

E2zPJSY.jpg

The main cast of Digimon World: Digital Card Battle...note the fucked up Cherrymon in the back.

Next time we talk about one of the most important set of games in the Digimon franchise, the Wonderswan "Tamer" series...and learn about the franchise's most enigmatic character in the Western fandom, Ryo Akiyama.

Top Bottom