• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bitmob: Games Coverage is Terrible, I turn to NeoGAF

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
bhlaab said:
What baffles me is that kotaku is constantly being called out now, they know that they look like fools to everyone who is even paying attention, and yet they refuse to stop doing it. Or even tone it down! Can't they go to brian ashcroft and say "Look, we're getting a lot of heat here and we're in danger of losing our rep. Can we maybe cut it down to 2 anime pedophile articles per day? 2 and a half??"
If they're getting criticized for it that much, but they're still doing it, it's a pretty good bet that they're making good money.

Kotaku doesn't give a flying crap what Chris Winters says as long as their "anime pedophile" articles are generating clicks.

I have always wondered if the game blogs or NeoGAF posted up topics first. Some of the game blogs are pretty bad, especially Gamebloguu

I love Gaf because this site gets me excited about games that people are playing. The sense of shared experience and having someone confirm (or disagree) with moments in a game make the forum great. I know for a fact developers use NeoGAF to crowd source what people like/dislike in games. I can not say the same for many game blogs.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
The worst trend in gaming journalism is the "Click me to find out what the article is about" title. For example, if the article is about Suda51 making a new survival horror game, very frequently the article title will be "Japanese game designer announces new game" instead of the infinitely more descriptive "Japanese game designer Suda51 announces new survival horror game called ButtQuest".

The same thing happens on NeoGAF sometimes, unfortunately, but at least there are moderators to edit the titles to make them reflect the content of the article a little more.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Wes said:
There's also a gaming side.
This would have been funny about 5 years ago!
Stumpokapow said:
"Japanese game designer Suda51 announces new survival horror game called ButtQuest".
SOURCE!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Firestorm

The nice thing about GAF is I can read the OP to figure out the news, read the front page for some quick corrections, then check the last page of the thread to see discussion of what the facts actually are. We have hundreds of fact-checkers here who will make sure the story is correct.

Then of course we also have the people who read the first post, misunderstand, post to get their opinion in, then promptly get banned.

Oh, and after a couple of years here it's pretty easy to tell bullshit apart from "yeah this is a 'rumour' in that it's true but not confirmed yet".

[Nintex] said:
The great thing about GAF:

- No (more) mega threads, it seems that this trend is finally gone and we're getting seperate threads for news updates again!
- Japanese gaming news, I must say that AndriaSang is quite good as well
- The diverse community, people from Canada, US, Asia, Europe and even the Middle East post here
- The discussions and the fun, mods on NeoGAF don't ruin the fun like they do on other forums
- The real interest and knowledge in all things gaming, when you have a group of so many members with different interests you get the best information. It isn't just like a site posting NPD numbers because Nintendo did well that week or a blog reporting on RPG's because Sony got an exclusive.
- All forms of gaming are represented here, 'what could've been' console hardware threads from Camineet, followed by in depth discussions about the Zelda timeline(oh god), DS recommendations and religious talk about the hidden meaning of Halo and cool projects like the Contra mod for little big planet, G.A.M.E. and last but certainly not least Dudebro.

- No fucking signature images!

Christ I hate forums where 99% of a post is some kiddies GAMERTAG / BIGASS ANIMU SIGNATURE IMAGE / ETC. A fine example of an abortion of a forum.

Thank you GAF for not blowing ass. :D

Kimosabae

Banned
Stumpokapow said:
The worst trend in gaming journalism is the "Click me to find out what the article is about" title. For example, if the article is about Suda51 making a new survival horror game, very frequently the article title will be "Japanese game designer announces new game" instead of the infinitely more descriptive "Japanese game designer Suda51 announces new survival horror game called ButtQuest".

The same thing happens on NeoGAF sometimes, unfortunately, but at least there are moderators to edit the titles to make them reflect the content of the article a little more.

C'mon. This is hardly peculiar to game's journalism.

Stumpokapow said:
Yeah but 90% of the time "Japanese game designer announces new game" turns out to be:

Japanese Game Designer Announces New Game

According to Destructoid via VG247 translating a Weekly Famitsu article, Japanese punk rocker-slash-game-designer Suda 51 (of blood-and-boob-stravaganza No More Heroes, which recently came out on PS3 and 360) is working on his next game.

Suda 51 said:
I am currently in the preliminary stages of my next project. I hope you will look forward to it.

Mayhaps this is the long-rumored Legend of Zelda: The Mature for PS3/360 that will be developed once Nintendo goes third-party and is bought by Apple?

Fio

The Take Out Bandit said:

Christ I hate forums where 99% of a post is some kiddies GAMERTAG / BIGASS ANIMU SIGNATURE IMAGE / ETC. A fine example of an abortion of a forum.

your such a hater

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EGzlG.jpg

1-D_FTW

Wes said:
There's also a gaming side.

:lol No. I know this is a meme on the OT side, but no. What you're experiencing is Stockholm syndrome. Gaming age (at least PC age) tends to be much better.

LiK

V_Ben said:
Well, GAF is the best place for up to the minute news, and there is intelligent discussion here at times, so i'd mostly agree with him.

i tend to notice many gaming sites post the same stuff GAF posted just a few hours after GAF posted it. coincidence?

Foxix Von

Palmer_v1 said:
So out of curiosity, how did most of you find GAF to begin with? I lurked for a few years before I applied, but I seem to remember NeoGAF being the top search result at some point when I was trying to find out info about an upcoming game.

I mostly posted on gamefaqs before that. /shudder

Come to think of it.. I'm not totally sure? I think I was lurking the Gamespot forums and somehow came across the beautiful hive mind we have here.

For the life of me I can't remember what game I was looking for that led me down the rabbit hole, though. On second thought I mind have found it through PSO-World, guess I'll never know. :lol The wait for confirmation was total hell though, took so long that by the time I finally got confirmed I had skipped Junior Member status.

Since then GAF has sort of become just about the only website I used the internet for. Terrible I know, but I get all my humor and just about all the important news/discussion I could possibly want. It just sort of renders everything before it obsolete. :lol

panda21

yeah news is almost always here first, and if someone does try to do some retarded kotaku style spin on it they get mocked hard, so generally the OP is just the facts and PR.

also i dont think the guy is saying he uses neogaf as a source all of the bitmob site's news, but just that when he wants to read up to the minute gaming news, neogaf is the least retarded place to do it.

Firestorm

panda21 said:
yeah news is almost always here first, and if someone does try to do some retarded kotaku style spin on it they get mocked hard, so generally the OP is just the facts and PR.

also i dont think the guy is saying he uses neogaf as a source all of the bitmob site's news, but just that when he wants to read up to the minute gaming news, neogaf is the least retarded place to do it.
Bitmob is a user-run site. People post articles (news, editorials, reviews, whatever) and then the site staff edit and highlight good content on the front page. It was started by ex-EGM staff.

http://www.bitmob.com/about

Firestorm

It's not even probably. It's a well-known fact that any news editor who isn't an idiot uses GAF as one of their sources. The ones who aren't too high on themselves readily admit it. They obviously don't source GAF unless GAF is the original source. Or often they'll source GAF as where they got it and also link to the original source.

Shurs said:
Visualante said:
I think standards were higher around here a few years ago./QUOTE]

How so?
Bullshit, sensationalist threads got shot down and sank quicker. People wouldn't post replies until they actually read the story. Fortunately PC-GAF doesn't have to deal with this.

panda21

nskinnear said:
Yes, yes, yes.

The worst forums are the ones that allow 600x300 images + userbars + some random text + something else. Jesus Christ.

the worst is all that but also with unconstrained images and youtube videos in 'signatures' D: the horror

Firestorm said:
It's not even probably. It's a well-known fact that any news editor who isn't an idiot uses GAF as one of their sources. The ones who aren't too high on themselves readily admit it. They obviously don't source GAF unless GAF is the original source. Or often they'll source GAF as where they got it and also link to the original source.
The first thread I ever made here was picked up by a lot of gaming news blogs, accompanied by "as seen on NeoGAF" qualifier...

Par exemple: http://kotaku.com/5419373/nintendos-1955-cameo-in-the-new-york-times

Tain

The Take Out Bandit said:

maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan say what you will about gomorning's content (never posted), but whenever I get linked to it, and whenever the users have their image shit together, it's always pretty damn cool looking.

I'd never want to browse GAF like that, of course.

Tain said:
maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan say what you will about gomorning's content (never posted), but whenever I get linked to it, and whenever the users have their image shit together, it's always pretty damn cool looking.

I'd never want to browse GAF like that, of course.

I came from rec.games.video.sega / alt.games.sf2, let's get some ASCII art up in this bitch! :lol

You damned kids and your pictures on the Internet, that aren't UUENCODED! >:|

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Before Gaf, I read kotuaku, I visted IGN, I spent a lot of time on metacritic looking at reviews. Using GAF has made all of that shit obsolete, I simply have no use for it.
Best site on the internet, bar none.

Empty

gaf factchecking is so useful that i'd rather wait till a gaming article is posted here and well analysed by the good posters than risk getting misled on other gaming sites' news services.

fernoca

I agree.
There was time, on which when I went online, I quickly started checking..The Magic Box, IGN64, Daily Radar and Gaming-Age..it was through Gaming-Age that I joined the forums though couldn't log-in for osmetime since my username had/has a typo.. that I didn't noticed till I checked the email.

Foxix Von

fernoca said:
I agree.
There was time, on which when I went online, I quickly started checking..The Magic Box, IGN64, Daily Radar and Gaming-Age..it was through Gaming-Age that I joined the forums though couldn't log-in for osmetime since my username had/has a typo.. that I didn't noticed till I checked the email.

Just out of curiosity what's your username supposed to be?

Sklorenz said:
And here I thought I'd just found a nice, unique avatar.
Thief! you and your fancy black border.

Obviously the only solution is to have one of you add a mustache.

I came across this place from a former coworker talking about NeoGaf. Was lurking here for a few months before joining. I noticed a lot of the gaming blogs or sites posted the same information after it gets posted here on Gaf. I don't think it's a coincidence. :lol

big_z

i use gaf for nearly all of my gaming news.

i used to go to ign but that site went downhill fast right around the time the gamecube came out.... i think thats when fox bought them and set a bunch of rules. but hey ign gets most of it's news from here so i might as well browse the source of the news.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Palmer_v1 said:
So out of curiosity, how did most of you find GAF to begin with? I lurked for a few years before I applied, but I seem to remember NeoGAF being the top search result at some point when I was trying to find out info about an upcoming game.

I mostly posted on gamefaqs before that. /shudder
Random google search looking for opinions on whether the Hamedo skill in Final Fantasy Tactics was totally awesome or totally useless. I always loved it, but I had found out that many people didn't, so I was finding out what people used instead.

I don't know how I remember this in such detail.

Top Bottom