• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Black Desert Online |OT| Come on in, the sand's fine [Mediah Update]

Ferr986

I had this issue as well, but I have 16gb. I ended up fixing this by increasing the size of my windows page file to 5000mb minimum, 10000mb maximum.

Edit: Got a Nouver box!

Thanks! For some reason I only had 2000mb lol Guess it was something I did when I got an SSD, I dunno...

Sykotik

Thanks! For some reason I only had 2000mb lol Guess it was something I did when I got an SSD, I dunno...

Yeah, I did the same thing, trying to save space on the disk.

As for my crashing issue, I think I fixed it by removing my font replacement. It hasn't crashed once since I removed it.

FrankCanada97

Roughly the size of a baaaaaarge
I feel like I'm not investing my limited contribution points efficiently. I don't really need to have workers produce more than one type of grain do I? Would I get more ingredients faster by farming them myself? been hoarding some of my cooking output to eventually put them into imperial cooking packages since that isn't subject to tax.

I've noticed better versions of some food items sell for less than the regular version on the marketplace. Is there a reason for that? It seems to me that fishing has so far made the most money for me in comparison to the time spent processing materials and cooking food. Maybe I've been making the wrong things.

Anyways, I got a level 3 tool workshop up. I'm going to see if I can make money producing fishing rods or something.

Mephala

I feel like I'm not investing my limited contribution points efficiently. I don't really need to have workers produce more than one type of grain do I? Would I get more ingredients faster by farming them myself? been hoarding some of my cooking output to eventually put them into imperial cooking packages since that isn't subject to tax.

I've noticed better versions of some food items sell for less than the regular version on the marketplace. Is there a reason for that? It seems to me that fishing has so far made the most money for me in comparison to the time spent processing materials and cooking food. Maybe I've been making the wrong things.

Anyways, I got a level 3 tool workshop up. I'm going to see if I can make money producing fishing rods or something.

It is technically all about efficiency but you don't need to absolutely go all in on it every time. Every little bit helps. I wouldn't worry too much about being the most efficient though because "the most efficient" will likely change every few CP gained as your options also change with that and this'll just drive you up the wall.

For grains, you do need a lot. I tend to go for potato and wheat. I did grab Barley earlier but having 3 items of grain was a bit much on inventory slots especially since this could potentially mean 6 slots (3 different types of flour).

Gathering produce with a sickle will be faster sure but it is also subject to gathering skill and Energy (gathering uses energy). Another option is to have farm materials yourself.

The other method is to use farming. This can be a little heavy on CP and farming can take around 8 hours real time before you can collect. If you wait too long it'll over ripe and you get less. Farming could isn't really hard, it could just be a bit much to fiddle by itself. I recommend checking a quick guide. There is also a quest line that gives you a 1 slot free fence.

Some of the bonus items can't be used in other recipes or imperial packages so they aren't as valuable to others.

For cooking speeds. If you want to invest a bit you can:
- Cooking Clothes upgrade - lowers time on cooking
- Advance Cooking Utensil - Lowers time on cooking (what do you know, you just got a Tool Workshop too!)
- Alchemy Stone of Life
- Food items like Teff Bread I think
- Pearl Shop Canape Cooking Costume

The lowest speed you can get is 1 second. I personally haven't got that low before.

For fishing. It also pays to sell to the imperial fishing trader (Velia, Glish, Splashing Point, Valentia)
Fishing is easily the easiest method to make a quick bit of money. The entry to it is virtually nothing. Though you can also improve it by using better rods and fishing clothes.

In comparison to cooking where you need to reach higher skill and have the right ingredients to cook in bulk... Yeah, it is a much simpler profession. Both have their nuances but cooking can give a big lump sum when done right as well as give you a lot of failed dishes which can be traded for cooking exp, contribution points, beer etc.

Regarding the tool shop I don't think it is a great source of income but people will buy out your cooking utensils incredibly quick. Rods are a little bit slower.

Guides on nodes and workers are pretty good however from my experience I mostly use them for ideas on goals I want. Most of the guides I've read offer good suggestions in terms of efficiency but I often can't really benefit from it until much later since I am not at the same stage in life skills as the person who wrote the guide and so I don't need certain nodes connected or don't need certain resources. Since I'm a sucker for hoarding I keep everything meaning I waste more on storage as well and I'll need to rework stuff for nodes and resources on items I actually need more immediately. So I look at guides, follow a bit then ignore them to make the game work for me, once I've settled in I look at more guides and then tweak my setup a bit for efficiency.

... Maybe a more planned approach is better but uhhh... Not for me I guess.

Good luck!

Ferr986

Man Im enjoying the meltdown right now about this new patch.

Some people sure still think this game is about killing lowbies, and that they understand the game more than the own developers

Gin-Shiio

Courtesy of Reddit:
This is actually killing the game for me. Favoring new players over veterans who played this damn game for year+ has been in the game for a while now. But..this is literally spitting in our faces and telling us to go fuck ourselves

Some excellent trolls there, haha
mXyupD1.gif

Mephala

I particularly enjoy giving the middle finger to all the returning players who sit around murdering newbies in Olvia servers. I get it that its fun being able to do what you like but griefing new players without any ability for older players to help isn't a fair go at all.

Ferr986

That's not to say there's any problem with the spot situation right now. Valencia spots need to be buffed (both XP and money), yet they only buffed Mediah, that makes no sense. lvl 58 guys shouldn't be in Mediah, but they are because its still the best area.

But that's not an excuse. Honestly, karmabomb tends to be more a problem with the PKer. If you're truly better than the other guy you'll get almost all the exp in the area, and the other guy will leave because it makes no sense. I know it because I was there in both situations. But a lot of people just rage when they see someone in their spot and straight PK'him without even caring about the situation, if it's worth or not, etc.

People say no one kills without reason in this game. It may be their experience, but mine is another one. Only 1 time I have been PK'ed in a grind spot, and truth to be told it was without an advice, because if someone tells me to leave and I see he's better geared than me I just leave because, as I said, makes no sense to me, he'll get almost all the mobs and I'll get shit XP (I didn't even saw that guy in the area till I got hit by him).
Rest of my deaths have been being killed just running around or fishing (with the excuse of "lol stay in a safe zone"). That excuse just show that some of the people raging is not about their competitive pvp in grind spots, but straight kill for the lulz. Fighting for competitive spots would be cool if people behaved like it should, but that a karma system really exists (not only in this game) tells you much about how that's not possible.

Also, if I'm not mistaken, KR version have an even harsher karma penalty.

That's not to say the karma system is perfect, but the idea of a game some people have is one that almost no new player would play.

And let's not forget that Steam users are going to be quicked from Olvia servers this week, and will face the veteran uber-geared players...

So yeah, some people need to give out their own idea of this game being a free open world pvp when it's clearly not.

Edit: everyone complaining about karma anf no one for the removal of BP adventure :(

Mephala

Oh. I like the occasional nice item from bsa but I actually find it kinda annoying. I complained in guild chat but it comes and goes I guess.

I don't think your experience with PK is wrong. I've been Pk or attempted in non grind zones but it is less than in grind areas. Also, grind areas you learn to expect it and when you see the player with sword crossed icon you can usually leave. Having no interest in PvP I tend to avoid these areas in general so I end up finding more Pk elsewhere. the period of time I went to sausages frequently tho...

Killed while fishing has only happened to me once so far. Definitely a dick move.

FrankCanada97

All this PK talk is making me scared to level up 50. Is it really as rampant as I think it is? All I want to do for the moment is run around levelling up my life skills and set up a nice business selling processed goods and food.

All this PK talk is making me scared to level up 50. Is it really as rampant as I think it is? All I want to do for the moment is run around levelling up my life skills and set up a nice business selling processed goods and food.

I only died once to a pk but not it isn't too bad if you avoid something like pirates. If you party up, people are also less likely to go after you unless they are a group or some really geared and confident asshole. It is more efficient to solo since you don't need to split party exp but you are an easier target.

I haven't been killed lifeskilling, if you are processing goods you are either at your residence or near your storage which are safe areas. If you are afk fishing you better be sure you are secluded or in a safe zone because honestly the only reason someone would want to kill you then is just to be an asshole.

Mephala

You will run into it once in a while but not frequently. It is also currently not in favour due to double karma loss introduced in this current patch.

PKing isn't that common outside of hotly contested areas, mostly grind spots. You will run into them once in a while but it really isn't so bad.

The last time someone attempted it on me was a freaking Catfish. He couldn't kill me at all but neither could I kill him. I grew bored sooner than he did and just dodged him while pummelling mobs until I finished grinding that level. Of course, I had to run while he doggedly tried to chase me all the way back to town. Some people are just that dumb.

Gin-Shiio

Like others have said, there is no reason to fear a PK 90% of the time. If you visit Reddit, you will find a lot of bitching and moaning about the new changes that punish PKs right now, but the truth is that only a small minority really takes issue with them. Most people will gladly invite you to their party upon request. Just don't take any chances and ask straight up to avoid any misunderstandings.

Freeman76

I wish they would make a pve server that has none of this.

What I do is have one character that goes 50+ and the rest I will keep at 49, for life skills/processing etc.

I hate the idea of forced pvp or competing for a 'spot'.

Ferr986

I wish they would make a pve server that has none of this.

What I do is have one character that goes 50+ and the rest I will keep at 49, for life skills/processing etc.

I hate the idea of forced pvp or competing for a 'spot'.

Problem is that staying below 50 excludes you from your awakening weapon/moveset and that's really cool to have. Also, I didn't try it but I dunno how fishing is at Magoria with low levels.

At the end, if you stay far from Sausans or Pirates alone you should be generally good.

What changes were made? Sounds juicy :D

Patch didn't do much, only Striker awakening and double karma loss when PKing (still lower than KR though).

FrankCanada97

Is there a way to change which skills are displayed on the quick reference key combo guide that shows up outside of safe zones?

arimanius

Been enjoying this after I finally decided to give it a try. Still need to tweak my pc and settings. Have an old machine but it seems to be running it okish. Got a DK to 21. Is there still a Gaf guild available to join?

Compsiox

Banned
Should I just ignore all the warnings of the malware-esc anti cheat?

I'm bored of my usual games and need something new.

Mephala

Is there a way to change which skills are displayed on the quick reference key combo guide that shows up outside of safe zones?

I'm not sure, I actually switch those videos off and look at combos on youtube if at all.

Been enjoying this after I finally decided to give it a try. Still need to tweak my pc and settings. Have an old machine but it seems to be running it okish. Got a DK to 21. Is there still a Gaf guild available to join?

We do have a GAF guild in NA. We also have a discord!
Quote to reveal new GAF discord link.

List of officers is pinned in invitations channel.

Discord helps coordinate recruitments.

Should I just ignore all the warnings of the malware-esc anti cheat?

I'm bored of my usual games and need something new.

It is a shit anti-cheat but a lot of us put up with it, some people don't even notice.

Really hope someone can help me out, I bought this game yesterday,started to play today and in the tutorial I seem to already be stuck with a big that won't let me progress.

Mission where you have to kill 2 Noisy Grass Beetles. I go to the waypoints (there are 3) but no beetles to be found. Literally have no idea what to do.

Anyone have any insight? Really hope so, cuz the game seems cool

Really hope someone can help me out, I bought this game yesterday,started to play today and in the tutorial I seem to already be stuck with a big that won't let me progress.

Mission where you have to kill 2 Noisy Grass Beetles. I go to the waypoints (there are 3) but no beetles to be found. Literally have no idea what to do.

Just kill grass beetles and see what happens

Mephala

You can try abandoning the quest (little flag icon) and picking it back up. The servers have been packed and laggy for a while now. Sometimes I do something and it takes ages to register.

Also, you probably don't need to go to the waypoint exactly for that quest there are those beatles all over the first area.

Gizuko

I have been eyeing this game for a while, but I need a bit of help with a couple of questions:

- Is the Explorer's pack worth those 6€ over the traveler's one?
- Is it better to just go with the cheapest one and buy 2 pets?
- Can the silver embroidered clothes be crafted/bought with in-game currency?

I'm considering either buying the base game + 2 pets or the 24€ pack + another pet, since the +16 inventory slots coupon might not be much better than the +8 one considering weight limit remains the same (I can't know for sure though, since I don't know wether weight or inventory slots will play the bigger role) - deciding which pack to buy is just too much for me, considering how little I feel I can learn about the game without playing it myself.

Also, it seems some people consider dueling/1v1 classes (ninja/musa/tamer) a bit underwhelming in organised pvp. I'm considering maining either Sorc, Dark knight or Tamer (Bo is one of my favourite weapons ever), so will this be a problem? Will I get locked out of some content due to the class I decide to play?

Ferr986

I have been eyeing this game for a while, but I need a bit of help with a couple of questions:

I'm considering either buying the base game + 2 pets or the 24€ pack + another pet, since the +16 inventory slots coupon might not be much better than the +8 one considering weight limit remains the same (I can't know for sure though, since I don't know wether weight or inventory slots will play the bigger role) - deciding which pack to buy is just too much for me, considering how little I feel I can learn about the game without playing it myself.

Also, it seems some people consider dueling/1v1 classes (ninja/musa/tamer) a bit underwhelming in organised pvp. I'm considering maining either Sorc, Dark knight or Tamer (Bo is one of my favourite weapons ever), so will this be a problem? Will I get locked out of some content due to the class I decide to play?

I don't remember what the packs had so can't help you muh, but I think the middle one was the better deal?

Also yeah in pvp some classes right now are better than others. For PvE everything is viable, although some classes are better too (better means faster grinding, you can do everything with any class easy, PvE is really easy). You're in luck though, because Dark Knight is considered one of the OP classes right now.

I personally have a Sorc and a lolRanger awakened, although I don't do PvP. Sorc is way better than Ranger though and really good in PvE.

Gizuko

I don't remember what the packs had so can't help you muh, but I think the middle one was the better deal?

Also yeah in pvp some classes right now are better than others. For PvE everything is viable, although some classes are better too (better means faster grinding, you can do everything with any class easy, PvE is really easy). You're in luck though, because Dark Knight is considered one of the OP classes right now.

I personally have a Sorc and a lolRanger awakened, although I don't do PvP. Sorc is way better than Ranger though and really good in PvE.

Most people agree that it's either base game or middle one, but the expensive one has a bigger discount right now. Well, I'll just ponder a bit more about it!

I actually decided to go with the sorc first, since I don't quite like DK's awakening the way I like the other 2's. Still, it's nice knowing sorc is in a good spot right now, when I look back on my mesmer days in GW2 I realize I really don't want to do a repeat of that :/

Thank you for the insight!

I just purchased this game yesterday, I'm enjoying it so far. Is the gaf guild still active and is there any way to join it? My family name is Peanit, and my character's name is Dilgo. This has been a little confusing haha.

Mephala

So will be jumping into this with two of my co workers. Is the $30 explorer edition worth it in Steam?

Its pretty good value in the current sale.

I just purchased this game yesterday, I'm enjoying it so far. Is the gaf guild still active and is there any way to join it? My family name is Peanit, and my character's name is Dilgo. This has been a little confusing haha.

There is a GAF discord link a few posts up or in the OP. I'm not on now but you when I was a few moments ago the guild chat was full of talk. On NA though.
I'll mention you to an officer on the discord.

Currently Explorer's is a better package. More inventory and an extra value pack. I believe last time the mid package was only around 17 while this time its 23.

An extra pet will definitely help though you're also getting a pet penguin if you can make the login rewards. If you're missing a login you get 2 per day on weekends when you're behind schedule.

Weight, you can get with loyalties at 50 weight for 3500 loyalties but 1 inventory slot per 1000 loyalty.

Inventory helps with things like fishing and sometimes gathering.

You can use horse/wagon to hold stuff for you but it is a nuisance at times. You can use gems, belts and consumable buffs to increase weight limits.

You can craft lifeskill clothes (goes on armor slot) by using Costume Mill housing in any of the main cities. You can also buy them for silver/in game currency.
The cash shop offers different lifeskill costumes that can stack with these clothes. I almost never see them on the market but technically it is possible to buy it with in game currency if someone sells it on the market and you get lucky.

Gizuko

Currently Explorer's is a better package. More inventory and an extra value pack. I believe last time the mid package was only around 17 while this time its 23.

An extra pet will definitely help though you're also getting a pet penguin if you can make the login rewards. If you're missing a login you get 2 per day on weekends when you're behind schedule.

Weight, you can get with loyalties at 50 weight for 3500 loyalties but 1 inventory slot per 1000 loyalty.

Inventory helps with things like fishing and sometimes gathering.

You can use horse/wagon to hold stuff for you but it is a nuisance at times. You can use gems, belts and consumable buffs to increase weight limits.

You can craft lifeskill clothes (goes on armor slot) by using Costume Mill housing in any of the main cities. You can also buy them for silver/in game currency.
The cash shop offers different lifeskill costumes that can stack with these clothes. I almost never see them on the market but technically it is possible to buy it with in game currency if someone sells it on the market and you get lucky.

I ended up buying the Traveler's one, thinking I'd just save those 6€ and use them to get a pet down the line. I'm getting a refund since Paypal discount didn't apply so, is the extra value pack that much of a boon? I get what it says it does, but not how much of an impact those bonuses have/how important they are.

Seems weight isn't as much of an issue as I thought it'd be, and 2 pets will likely get the job done early on (if I get the login one), so I might get the Explorer's package.

Gin-Shiio

I got the quest for leveling to 50. What would the equivalent time wise to level from 50 to 51? Same as 1 to 40?

If you move to the Mediah region to level from now on, you can easily get 1 level up every thirty minutes if your daily exp boost as active. Seeing how they increased its duration to a full hour, levelling now goes by faster than ever. Once you reach level 54, you will start feeling things slow down.

Mephala

I ended up buying the Traveler's one, thinking I'd just save those 6€ and use them to get a pet down the line. I'm getting a refund since Paypal discount didn't apply so, is the extra value pack that much of a boon? I get what it says it does, but not how much of an impact those bonuses have/how important they are.

Seems weight isn't as much of an issue as I thought it'd be, and 2 pets will likely get the job done early on (if I get the login one), so I might get the Explorer's package.

It is more useful in the beginning before you have done the inventory expansion quests or have good weight increasing belts or workers gathering mass resources for you. It helps keep you running around a bit longer without having to go into the menu to check items to drop etc.
You also get to freely change your appearance if you want.

A lot of people do fine without it as well though.

I think two pets is fine early on. Especially since they introduced agile mode a while back.

NexusCell

Just bought the base edition on steam a few days ago. Have been playing up to level 25 and I'm really enjoying myself. Mostly just doing quests although I've been exploring the node and worker systems.

Is the GAF discord/guild still active? I took a look at it and it seems as if its pretty dead atm.

Also thinking of getting the Explorer edition, do the inventory expansion slots apply to all characters made or just one?

Mephala

Just bought the base edition on steam a few days ago. Have been playing up to level 25 and I'm really enjoying myself. Mostly just doing quests although I've been exploring the node and worker systems.

Is the GAF discord/guild still active? I took a look at it and it seems as if its pretty dead atm.

Also thinking of getting the Explorer edition, do the inventory expansion slots apply to all characters made or just one?

Inventory expansion are consumable items unfortunately unfortunately and is only for 1 character. The pet is for all all characters.

Most of the talk is split between the general chat channel in discord or in game guild chat. Drop a word in discord and I can send permissions and stuff. The guild is very casual and doesn't really pressure about anything. There is usually someone on doing something though weekends are busiest.

Ferr986

Does the preorder option even works? I see an item I have preordered being sold for less money than the amount of money I have preordered.

Gin-Shiio

Haven't started the game yet but is there servers and such?

If so what server is GAF on?
I just bought it the other day and I'm at level 20.... so im not an expert, but I think you can freely change between servers at any time.

This is correct. The only limitation is that beginning and returning players have exclusive access to exp-boosted servers for one month. However, you can hop to any server - or channels as they are called here - at any time with a 15 minute cooldown inbetween jumps.

Soi-Fong

This is correct. The only limitation is that beginning and returning players have exclusive access to exp-boosted servers for one month. However, you can hop to any server - or channels as they are called here - at any time with a 15 minute cooldown inbetween jumps.

Ooh awesome! So I decided to get the explorer pack. From what I'm reading the Tier 5 horse you get and the pet is account wide and some are suggesting to hold off on using the Value Pack until you're on a character and class that you really end up liking.

Mephala

Ooh awesome! So I decided to get the explorer pack. From what I'm reading the Tier 5 horse you get and the pet is account wide and some are suggesting to hold off on using the Value Pack until you're on a character and class that you really end up liking.

Hold off on the inventory space expansion consumables for character you like.

Value Pack is account wide and works on all characters for the entire duration. While it is incredibly convenient, you could test the waters without using the value pack first and jump on your first one when you want. I seem to recall the game giving you a free 7 day one eventually as well.

Horses are technically account wide but if one character is riding it, you cannot ride it on another. You need to check it in at the stable and then check it back out with the character you wish to transfer it to.

Soi-Fong

Hold off on the inventory space expansion consumables for character you like.

Value Pack is account wide and works on all characters for the entire duration. While it is incredibly convenient, you could test the waters without using the value pack first and jump on your first one when you want. I seem to recall the game giving you a free 7 day one eventually as well.

Horses are technically account wide but if one character is riding it, you cannot ride it on another. You need to check it in at the stable and then check it back out with the character you wish to transfer it to.

Awesome! Thanks for the tips! Excited to start the game.

Gurrry

Im new to the game, but I came back to play today and all of a sudden I cant use most of my keyboard inputs. Like R to interact isnt working, Enter to bring up chat isnt working, even the black spirit button isnt working.

Is this just server lag? Or something else?

Mephala

Im new to the game, but I came back to play today and all of a sudden I cant use most of my keyboard inputs. Like R to interact isnt working, Enter to bring up chat isnt working, even the black spirit button isnt working.

Is this just server lag? Or something else?

Yeah server lag gets real bad at times. You can try changing servers, sometimes it helps. Olvia servers in particular tend to be over crowded.

Top Bottom