• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Black History Month 2016 |OT| - The last one before President Trump cancels it

Status
Not open for further replies.
On February 1st, 1960 in Greensboro, North Carolina, four A&T freshmen students, Ezell Blair, Jr. (Jibreel Khazan), Franklin McCain, Joseph McNeil & David Richmond walked downtown and “sat - in” at the whites–only lunch counter at Woolworth’s. They refused to leave when denied service and stayed until the store closed.
http://www.library.ncat.edu/resources/archives/four.html

Here's also the Music Playlist. Took me a while to find stuff I think fits.

I remember doing a report on them in elementary school. This is what really sparked a lot of the sit ins across the country.

Zekes!

This BHM I'm hoping to watch more Black films and read more about Black Canadian history. I got a decent grasp on it, but there's still so much to learn. My whole family is from Nova Scotia and there's a lot of history there.

Rapsody Interviews MC Lyte for Black History Month.

MC Lyte: I understand your take on it too ‘cause you’re coming from the perspective of the younger generation, understanding their understanding of what it means and it can be very different from mine. However, I do think an experience like Black Girls Rock! can put things into perspective and it’s like this whole back and forth with homeslice talking about there shouldn’t be a BET Awards? [Laughs] It’s like, what?

Rapsody: Exactly.

MC Lyte: Like what planet are we on? Come on. We understand why it was built. It was built so that African Americans could receive the accolades, acknowledgment, awards and respect for what it is they did for their past year’s work because there was nowhere else that would do that for them. Same reason how the Image Awards came into existence and very much so why Black Girls Rock! exists -- because it is a platform where not just the hottest female rapper or the hottest female R&B singer can be awarded on a show where it’s predominantly men but now you have a complete space where women are honored and it’s very necessary. I mean we used to have the Lady of Soul Awards and that was taken away. However, when it comes to women in this particular sector of business, we have got to just award ourselves so we acknowledge one another and I think that’s a good thing.

for 24 (25 total) more days of the only part of the year people from Africa are black. But as it's a year that ends with a digit on the glorious 26th we will give up their blackness to the white people so they can relate to a movie

I was doing some reading and I saw some photos taken by James Van Der Zee who was a photographer during the Harlem Renaissance in the 1920s. Figured I'd share a few here. Good stuff.

tumblr_m95zo76d2A1qmu4fno1_1280.jpg

2191876778_bd79750191_o1.jpg

van-der-zee.jpg

And a more recent one from when he was 95 years old.

basquiatvanderzee.jpg

X-posting from the Black Culture thread, makes more sense here:

Hey guys, so after a terrible and insensitive joke I made in another thread (again, sorry) I found out February is Black History Month (I knew this month existed but not that it was in February). So what actually happens in February because of this? School projects? Theatre plays? I really have no idea, there's nothing comparable in Germany.

In elementary and middle school we always had projects or presentations that we had to do about eminent black Americans. It was tough because I couldn't really ask my parents for help unless I wanted a big dose of "why isn't there a white history month." :/

I think in high school it was mostly limited to English class and then we'd read a book by a black author and discuss it.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
On February 1st, 1960 in Greensboro, North Carolina, four A&T freshmen students, Ezell Blair, Jr. (Jibreel Khazan), Franklin McCain, Joseph McNeil & David Richmond walked downtown and “sat - in” at the whites–only lunch counter at Woolworth’s. They refused to leave when denied service and stayed until the store closed.
http://www.library.ncat.edu/resources/archives/four.html

Here's also the Music Playlist. Took me a while to find stuff I think fits.

Greensboro is my hometown. They named the street the sit in took place February one. Good stuff.

Ovid

I see recommended movies to watch.

Any recommended books to read?

Books on my list to read this year are:

The Color Complex
Roots
Race Matters
The Autobiography of Malcolm X
The New Jim Crow

Also, why doesn't The History Channel have programming about this stuff anymore? On Presidents Day they play blocks of programming about out Founding Fathers. What about the forced labor that was utilized in order to realize the dream of our nation?

andthebeatgoeson

http://sfglobe.com/2015/12/07/white-man-in-the-photo-is-the-third-hero-that-night-in-1968/

In the history of BHM, this article on Peter Norman strikes a lot of spots. Untold story, life long suffering in silence, recognition that comes way too late. It's beautifully crafted, by an Italian writer about the other guy in the iconic photo in the 1968 Mexico City Olympic black fist protest. Or I might just be cutting onions.

433ad8c39665a2ed18f46f9aea17987e.jpg

It really has to be read and shared with your kids in the future.

As John Carlos said, “If we were getting beat up, Peter was facing an entire country and suffering alone.” For years Norman had only one chance to save himself: he was invited to condemn his co-athletes, John Carlos and Tommie Smith’s gesture in exchange for a pardon from the system that ostracized him.

A pardon that would have allowed him to find a stable job through the Australian Olympic Committee and be part of the organization of the 2000 Sydney Olympic Games. Norman never gave in and never condemned the choice of the two Americans.

He was the greatest Australian sprinter in history and the holder of the 200 meter record, yet he wasn’t even invited to the Olympics in Sydney. It was the American Olympic Committee that, once they learned of this news, asked him to join their group and invited him to Olympic champion Michael Johnson’s birthday party, for whom Peter Norman was a role model and a hero.

Norman died suddenly from a heart attack in 2006, without his country ever having apologized for their treatment of him. At his funeral Tommie Smith and John Carlos, Norman’s friends since that moment in 1968, were his pallbearers, sending him off as a hero.

I can't really stand the thought of the isolation or the loneliness. The rejection.

The one picture that brings it all back to BHM is this:
b65d5f0ffe4c24911bbf9593576675e8.jpg

That's Tommie Smith and John Carlos as Norman's pallbearers. A way to honor Norman's courage.

If ever a man got the black experience...

BTW, that was 2000 when Australia got the Games and never honored their record holder of the 200 meter sprint. Dude blasted their record in 1968 and it still holds.

The other day I saw the new Rob Zombie horror movie, 31.

I think it might be relevant to BHM because it has 3 black characters, 2 of whom I would describe as key protagonists, which I think might be a first for this type of horror film.

Here is something about a not so well known place called Africville in Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada.

Africville.jpg

Africville was a small community located on the southern shore of Bedford Basin, inHalifax, Nova Scotia, Canada. During the 20th century, the City of Halifax began to encroach on the southern shores of Bedford Basin, and gradually took over this community through municipal amalgamation. Africville was populated almost entirely by Black Nova Scotians from a wide variety of origins. Many of the first settlers were former slaves from the United States, Black Loyalists who were freed by the Crown during the American Revolutionary War and War of 1812.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Africville

A community that was neglected and forced to migrate to make way for a new bridge and facilities for the port of Halifax. The first settlers arrived in the 1840's until they were forced out in the 1960's. You can read more about its relocation here.

200715044.jpg

wikipedia said:
The church at Africville was demolished in 1969 at night to avoid controversy.

An apology was finally made in 2010 after years of protest.

So my "WTF" moment of the day was reading up on the Omaha, Nebraska race riot during the Red Summer of 1919.

In Omaha, the trouble began on September 25, when a white woman, Agnes Loebeck, reported that she was assaulted by a black man.

The next morning, the Bee reached new lows reporting the event. The headline was: "Black Beast First Stick-up Couple."

"The most daring attack on a white woman ever perpetrated in Omaha occurred one block south of Bancroft street near Scenic Avenue in Gibson last night.":
Coverage in the World-Herald was slightly less inflammatory

"Pretty little Agnes Loebeck . . . was assaulted . . . by an unidentified negro at twelve O’clock last night, while she was returning to her home in company with Millard [sic] Hoffman, a cripple."
That evening, the police took a suspect to the Loebeck home. Agnes and her boyfriend Milton Hoffman (they were later married) identified a black packinghouse worker named Will Brown as the assailant. Brown was 41 years old and suffered from acute rheumatism.

Before the police could leave the Loebeck house, a mob gathered outside and threatened to seize Brown. After an hour’s confrontation, police reinforcements arrived and Brown was transferred to the Douglas County Courthouse. Several police officers were ordered to report at once to police headquarters in case of further trouble, and 46 policemen and a detective were kept on duty well into the night.

Brown ended up in the hands of the crazed mob. He was beaten into unconsciousness. His clothes were torn off by the time he reached the building’s doors. Then he was dragged to a nearby lamp pole on the south side of the courthouse at 18th and Harney around 11:00 p.m. The mob roared when they saw Brown, and a rope was placed around his neck. Brown was hoisted in the air, his body spinning. He was riddled with bullets. His body was then brought down, tied behind a car, and towed to the intersection of 17th and Dodge. There the body was burned with fuel taken from nearby red danger lamps and fire truck lanterns. Later, pieces of the rope used to lynch Brown were sold for 10 cents each. Finally, Brown’s charred body was dragged through the city’s downtown streets.
NSFW image of Will Brown's body literally burning on a stake with a grinning mob in the background
http://www.nebraskastudies.org/0700/frameset_reset.html?http://www.nebraskastudies.org/0700/stories/0701_0134.html
Oh but the lynch mob wasnt done: they rioted till 3 am in the morning, attacking any blacks they could lay hands on until the US army arrived and restored order.

Dai101

Banned
Today in Forgotten Black Heroes - The Yanga Rebelion and who is Gaspar Yanga

Gaspar Yanga—often simply Yanga or Nyanga (c.1545-?) —was an African leader of a maroon colony of fugitive slaves in the highlands near Veracruz, Mexico during the early period of Spanish colonial rule. He is known for successfully resisting a Spanish attack on the colony in 1609, although both sides suffered losses. The maroons continued their raids. Finally in 1618, Yanga achieved an agreement with the colonial government for self-rule of the settlement, later called San Lorenzo de los Negros and also San Lorenzo de Cerralvo.[2] Located in today's Veracruz province, in 1932 the town was renamed as Yanga in his honor. In the late 19th century, Yanga was named as a "national hero of Mexico" and “El Primer Libertador de las Americas.”

Yanga, aka Nyanga, was said to be of the Bran people and a member of the royal family of Gabon. He was captured and sold into slavery in Mexico, where he was called Gaspar Yanga. Before the end of the slave trade, New Spain had the second-highest number of African slaves after Brazil and developed the largest free black population in the Americas.

Around 1570, Yanga led a band of slaves in escaping to the highlands near Veracruz. They built a small maroon colony, or palenque.[4] Its isolation helped protect it for more than 30 years, and other fugitive slaves found their way there. Because the people survived in part by raiding caravans taking goods traveling the Camino Real (Royal Road) between Veracruz and Mexico City, in 1609 the Spanish colonial government decided to undertake a campaign to regain control of this territory.
Spanish 1609 attack

Led by the soldier Pedro González de Herrera, about 550 Spanish troops set out from Puebla in January; an estimated 100 were Spanish regulars and the rest conscripts and adventurers. The maroons were an irregular force of 100 fighters having some type of firearm, and 400 more armed with stones, machetes, bows and arrows, and the like. These maroon troops were led by Francisco de la Matosa, an Angolan. Yanga—who was quite old by this time—decided to use his troops' superior knowledge of the terrain to resist the Spaniards, with the goal of causing them enough pain to draw them to the negotiating table.

Upon the approach of the Spanish troops, Yanga sent terms of peace via a captured Spaniard. He asked for a treaty akin to those that had settled hostilities between Indians and Spaniards: an area of self-rule in return for tribute and promises to support the Spanish if they were attacked. In addition, Yanga said this proposed district would return any slaves who might flee to it. This last concession was necessary to soothe the worries of the many slave owners in the region.

The Spaniards refused the terms and went into battle, resulting in heavy losses for both sides. The Spaniards advanced into the maroon settlement and burned it. But, the maroons fled into the surrounding terrain, which they knew well, and the Spaniards could not achieve a conclusive victory. The resulting stalemate lasted years; finally, the Spanish agreed to parley. Yanga's terms were agreed to, with the additional provisos that only Franciscan priests would tend to the people, and that Yanga's family would be granted the right of rule. In 1618 the treaty was signed. By 1630 the town of San Lorenzo de los Negros de Cerralvo was established. Located in today's Veracruz province, the town in the 21st century is known as Yanga.
Legacy and honors

In 1871, five decades after Mexican independence, Yanga was designated as a "national hero of Mexico" and El Primer Libertador de las Americas. This was based largely on an account by historian Vicente Riva Palacio. The influential Riva Palacio was also a novelist, short story writer, military general and mayor of Mexico City. In the late 1860s he found in Inquisition archives accounts of Yanga and of the 1609 Spanish expedition against him, as well as the later agreement. He published an account of Yanga in an anthology in 1870, and as a separate pamphlet in 1873.[4] Reprints have followed, including a recent edition in 1997. Much of the subsequent writing about Yanga was influenced by the works of Riva Palacio. He characterized the maroons of San Lorenzo de los Negros as proud men who would not be defeated.

7GP9LtI.jpg

"El Negro Yanga" in all his Monumental Glory

iGXDEs9.jpg

"African Black liberator and precursor of the black slaves who founded the town of San Lorenzo de Cerralvo (now Yanga) by agreement of the viceroy of New Spain, Rodrigo Pacheco, on the third day of October 1631 by order of the viceroy's pen.Village Captain Hernando of Castro Espinosa H. Ayuntamento Constl. 1973-1976"

''Yanga is important to the people of Mexico and America," said Gordillo Jaime Trujullo, who along with his wife Maria Dolores Flores promotes the town's history. "It is a great deal and has not been taken into account. This town is the birthplace of freedom. The most important legacy of black Yanga is freedom. Freedom is what we appreciate most in this community."

Like his birth, no definitive records are available regarding Yanga's date of death. There is said to be a great deal of information in the national archives of Mexico and the archives of Spain, according to historian and anthropologist Antonio García de León. The first information about Yanga arose in the second half of the nineteenth century by the historian and military-man Vicente Riva Palacio, grandson of Mexico's first black president, Vicente Guerrero.

Today, the town reportedly hosts the "Carnival of Negritude" every August 10th in honor of Gaspar Yanga. The town reports approximately 20,000 citizens that is now primarily considered mestizo, Spanish for "mixed heritage".

Great reads today. I went to school in NS and didn't know about Africville, but I know that Dartmouth has a high black population. Also love reading about black heroes.

Thanks for sharing.

Dai101

Banned
For the last couple of hours i got STUCK reading about Yanga and learned more about africans and what they give to my country, is enlightening to say the least so i decided i should write a longer post, then i realized i better do a separate thread for forgotten black heroes and specially ones that were part of the history of latin America since we routinely forgot that our countries were build on (figuratively and literally) both native slaves but also african slaves.

So, i'll just leave this here:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=194070020

If anyone wants to contribute, be my guest.

Checking In.

I feel like each year BHM fades more and more into obscurity. Hopefully our kids kids will keep it alive!

I was thinking this too, but then again I wonder if it's just because I'm older and BHM was always a thing in schools for me and not so much outside of it. Hard for me to compare.

besada

Banned
I was thinking this too, but then again I wonder if it's just because I'm older and BHM was always a thing in schools for me and not so much outside of it. Hard for me to compare.

I don't think so. In my lifetime -- from 1970 until now -- it seems to me it has mostly grown in importance. I remember its introduction during the bicentennial year, and all the attendant outrage. I remember a bunch of places refusing to do anything for BHM, and treating it like a joke. What I don't remember is many people actually talking about it, which is something I saw later and still today. I think it grew, then flagged, then saw renewed growth with the birth of the internet, when disparate black communities could come together online.

I don't think so. In my lifetime -- from 1970 until now -- it seems to me it has mostly grown in importance. I remember its introduction during the bicentennial year, and all the attendant outrage. I remember a bunch of places refusing to do anything for BHM, and treating it like a joke. What I don't remember is many people actually talking about it, which is something I saw later and still today. I think it grew, then flagged, then saw renewed growth with the birth of the internet, when disparate black communities could come together online.

That certainly could be. There's something to be said too for getting older and it becoming a "usual" thing, and losing some personal impact even if it's actually grown overall.

Sch1sm

I've experienced this, in a way. Since I moved on to university, I haven't really heard much of it. There aren't any announcements that throw in the odd Black History Month bit, or assemblies/performances, or small classes dedicated or tying in the month and the content being taught. I have to seek this stuff out now, which I'm definitely not complaining about, but I most people my age around here probably aren't. Just another day mentalities.

Not so much that it's faded, we just aren't in a position where we realise its prevalence.

Had a good reminder this morning of the importance of BHM.

My GF was scrolling through FB and saw a white friend of hers had posted the famous picture of Tommie Smith and John Carlos giving the Black Power salute at the 1968 Olympics. The accompanying text, however, would be laughable were it not so sad. Although sharing the picture of that powerful moment, the poor girl presented it as though it was of Jesse Owens at Hitler's 1936 Olympics.

To make matters worse, in the time since the post went up last night, it had received 17 likes and no comments. Out of curiosity, I asked her to click on the likes to get a breakdown of the ignorant. It was about 60% white and 40% black. GF posted a polite correction explaining the distinction between the two events. Her comment was deleted minutes later. The ignorant post is still up, unedited. I suppose it matters more to appear like you care, then to actually wish to learn.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom