• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Black Lightning (CW Series) Trailer

Ri'Orius

I thought the suit looked fine, but a lot of the effects looked pretty awful. Especially the very first shot with effects, the slow-mo drain-electricity-from-the-lights one.

Still, the premise sounds good. I'll give it a shot.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
I mean, SHIELD hasn't really been connected to any other piece of the MCU in a while. I guess there was that Agent Carter flashback in S3 and one of the antagonists of S3 was in Avengers in a very small role. Certainly nothing like the CW crossover shows. S4 which is probably the most removed from anything else is, coincidentally, also the best by a good margin.

Not to say that I don't enjoy this shit. I just don't think it makes up for the shortcomings of these shows. It certainly didn't help shit like Iron Fist.

Totally fair. That's why my other comment was more pointed towards S1 and S2 for being pushed along by its supposed connection to the movie universe. I do believe the show got better when it realized it was never going to matter to the movie division.

The gang being called The 100 made me laugh, I think it comes from the comic but given the show on the same network, lol.

I really hope the show stays shooting in Georgia, there's too many Berlanti DC shows using Vancouver s the backdrop of cities. Having it shoot in the Atlanta area might help it feel fresher and reduce the reliance on three or four shows sharing warehouses, well depending on the budget as well.

They can fly him out to shoot a crossover.
If they just take BL sure they can shoot around it for an episode but it makes production really difficult because you're losing your lead for upto two weeks. Though it might be easier with this show with his daughters probably having a greater focus but still having the Flash show up on Supergirl was a huge pain in the ass because of it filming in California during season one and even with all those shows now in Vancouver it's still a difficult balancing act to undertake.
I don't get the point in not making it part of Arrowverse, some of those sets even looked like they were from Flash (Coffee shop and Barry's lab).

Well, in the Arrow/Flash universe metas don't exist when Black Lightning active, they could've set it on Supergirl's Earth but, ehhhhh. Another Earth is fine with me.

EDIT: I'm sure the effects will be tweaked a little by the time the show properly comes out next year.

I wonder if the pilot will "leak".

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
The gang being called The 100 made me laugh, I think it comes from the comic but given the show on the same network, lol.

I really hope the show stays shooting in Georgia, there's too many Berlanti DC shows using Vancouver s the backdrop of cities. Having it shoot in the Atlanta area might help it feel fresher and reduce the reliance on three or four shows sharing warehouses, well depending on the budget as well.

EDIT: I'm sure the effects will be tweaked a little by the time the show properly comes out next year.

I wonder if the pilot will "leak".

Seriously. Vancouver looks like a beautiful city but between all The CW shows, I'm fairly certain I could navigate blindfolded...and I've never been there. Lots of good stuff being filmed out in Atlanta these days, so they'll be good out there.

Oh yeah! I forgot about the leaks. The Flash and Supergirl both leaked before their premiere.

wildfire

Banned
Ridiculous. It's Doc Ock all over again. This guy can make force field tech and only uses it to fight crime instead of becoming a billionaire. Only improvement is he's not robbing banks since he's the good guy.

commedieu

Banned
I thought the suit looked fine, but a lot of the effects looked pretty awful. Especially the very first shot with effects, the slow-mo drain-electricity-from-the-lights one.

Still, the premise sounds good. I'll give it a shot.

It's almost as if the vfx crew had a week to do the work for an entire pilot.

morningbus

Ridiculous. It's Doc Ock all over again. This guy can make force field tech and only uses it to fight crime instead of becoming a billionaire. Only improvement is he's not robbing banks since he's the good guy.

I think this Black Lightning is tech-enhanced, not tech-based. He isn't necessarily some super genius.

Slayven

Yeah tech based powers are passed down through genes

i can't do anymore CW

i think next season i am going to bail on everything except iZombie

then will netflix anything decent afterwards

Yeah I hear you. I was one of the few here that was seriously underwhelmed by Arrow this season. I think I'm going to hang back and probably only watch the Flash(I like the character) and Netflix the rest when all is said and done.

KonradLaw

To much for me. This didn't grab me and I've already dropped SHIELD, Supergirl and Legends of Tomorrow as far as superheroes go. Doubt I will have the strenght to keep up with this regularly

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I don't really like CW shows but that looked pretty good
they're great atleast Flash and Arrow, Supergirl is ok so far too but only problem I do have is Jimmy from Supergirl, it took me 9 episodes to realise its THAT Jimmy from Superman.

^^ you dropped Shield?
thats probley the best one at the moment.

KonradLaw

^^ you dropped Shield?
thats probley the best one at the moment.

Some people like it, but I just can't. Ghost Rider was awesome and brought me back for a little while, but he was the only thing that kept me going and after he was gone it went backto snooze fest. Plus next year they will be doing cosmic, so I'm totally out.

Kaizer

Banned
Trailer, was good, will definitely be checking this out. And this is filmed in Atlanta? Wonder if I'll recognize any locales.

Nyanmaruz

I probably won't be watching this since it's not connnected to the Arrowverse. I got too many shows to watch already anyways.

Boke1879

I actually really liked that trailer and the content definitely seems grounded and serious. Hope it does well.

On another note. I really do like that "Dare to Defy" song.

Man, what did any of you watch before multishow continuity became a thing.

I mean, Multi-Show Continuity spanned form my elementary school to college years

(Batman The Animated Series, Superman the Animated Series, the New Batman Adventures, Batman Beyond, Static Shock, Zeta Project, Justice League, Justice League Unlimited)

Joey Ravn

Banned
Loved it. Hopefully it's actually grittier than Arrow. If Jefferson needs to kill to keep his city safe, I'm all for it, as long as he doesn't have any moral qualms about it. The constant "b-b-but I don't want to kill" Oliver engages in is so boring by now...

Just fucking get the job done. Not every hero needs to be modeled after Superman or Batman, who don't (outright) kill, nor every anti-hero needs to be The Punisher and enjoy butchering his enemies.

Suit looks like it needs some work, hopefully it can get that Cisco upgrade in a future cross-universe episode..

CG needs a lot of work.. looks like they are stealing Livewire's assets.

but the premise looks like fun.

Dalek

I'm surprised this isn't in the Arrowverse-how dumb.

Anyways-this looks right up my alley. Count me in.

snlhero1b_0.jpg

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
I'm okay with it not being in the Arrowverse, the crossovers this year felt forced / awkward, especially with Super Girl living on another Earth. Just ended up flooding threads with people wondering why the other heroes haven't intervened. May as well not have the new show get bogged down by that.

I like that it's not another 20-something year old with romantic drama and origin issues. The daughters are there to fill that void but overall it looks like the show is offering something fresh for the CW roster. The costume though...

morningbus

I mean, Multi-Show Continuity spanned form my elementary school to college years

(Batman The Animated Series, Superman the Animated Series, the New Batman Adventures, Batman Beyond, Static Shock, Zeta Project, Justice League, Justice League Unlimited)

2 things: most of those didn't run concurrently and I'm assuming you watched other stuff that didn't have Batman in it somewhere, too.

ZeroX03

Banned
Yeah the suit looks way too bulky. CGI will get better, at least for a pilot.

Not sure why people are talking about reused stuff here, it's not Vancouver for this one, it's actually going to be completely different sets for everything. Being Atlanta will be nice, it won't look all samey.

I think Arrow works because the villain is really a bunch of steps ahead, and it's not the heroes being complete dumbasses

How many steps ahead would you say he is? Like two or three at most, right?

Skux

It's got superheroes in it, so I'll be watching.

And yeah, the logo part of the suit looks pretty stiff.

morningbus

Yeah, speaking of him, could he pop up in this?
I think DC does currently have the license to use the character, but I imagine they've probably learned not to use things they don't own outright. If they ever buy Milestone then I could definitely see it.

Keep an eye out for any character's name Virgil, though. I bet we get an Easter egg or two.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Sorta Liked everything except "Hashtag*..." will watch.

*And this is just some get off my lawn thing. I never even blinked when someone said "radical" or "gnarly" in 1985.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Oh my god how did they make that suit look that bad. Looks like glow in the dark padding stitched on.

Good god why that material.

Trailer did nothing for me overall.

That got me interested. Having a superhero come out of retirement is refreshing compared to the rest of the shows. I still dislike his name though.

Man, what did any of you watch before multishow continuity became a thing.

The cartoons, but those were connected then too, so I guess never.

Looks awesome. I'll be there, since I can't get Static Shock.
14 years later and people still calling him Static Shock. His name is just Static.

Top Bottom