• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Black Myth: Wukong Nvidia Ray tracing trailer

Mister Wolf

Gold Member
In an outdoors game like this, raytraced reflections are a waste. Will definitely have the RTGI and RT Shadows enabled though.

Last edited:

//DEVIL//

In an outdoors game like this, raytraced reflections are a waste. Will definitely have the RTGI and RT Shadows enabled though.

This game will be in the Nvidia 5090 series showcase this year if it's gets announced. Just to brag about the power difference between 5090 ray tracing power compared to a 4090 ( considering there doesn't seem to be any high end looking game coming this year the push the graphics outside of this game to my knowledge )

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
I'm ready for 1440p 30FPS еxperience with all this enabled. Water though is a bit of a waste cuz usually it's not even that common in levels, so I probably test the game first and will turn water shit off if I have to.

Last edited:

Mister Wolf

Gold Member
This game will be in the Nvidia 5090 series showcase this year if it's gets announced. Just to brag about the power difference between 5090 ray tracing power compared to a 4090 ( considering there doesn't seem to be any high end looking game coming this year the push the graphics outside of this game to my knowledge )

They fucked up creating Frame Gen. As long as you can get between 60 - 70fps and turn on Reflex and Frame Gen that's all that matters. The conversations people bring up about "fake frames" not having low latency is moot and only would apply to fast twitch games like Counter Strike 2 while playing with a mouse. With DLSS and Frame Gen they've removed most of the incentive to upgrade.

Last edited:

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
They fucked up creating Frame Gen. As long as you can get between 60 - 70fps and turn on Reflex and Frame Gen that's all that matters. The conversations people bring up about "fake frames" not having low latency is moot and only would apply to fast twitch games like Counter Strike 2 while playing with a mouse. With DLSS and Frame Gen they've removed most of the incentive to upgrade.
I find it funny how latency was almost never a topic until Frame Generation came into the picture. Everyone blatantly ignored the latency reduction that Reflex provided but the second DLSS3 hit the scene, suddenly, latency matters. The ironic part is that every game that has DLSS3 has Reflex, thus having a lower latency than without it anyway.

//DEVIL//

Agreed. And frame generation is awesome. But it only works on games like this . Single player games.

So far at this point inam not even excited about 5090 . Mainly because everything is playing fine on a 4090 and we are actually held by console generation.

I am not expecting graphics to evolve In the coming 2 years to justify a 5090.

If that changes i am in. Not worried about how much it costs. I can always offset some of the money when I sell the 4090.

It's just I am not seeing anything coming soon. Devs are getting worse and not moving forward.

Mister Wolf

Gold Member
I find it funny how latency was almost never a topic until Frame Generation came into the picture. Everyone blatantly ignored the latency reduction that Reflex provided but the second DLSS3 hit the scene, suddenly, latency matters. The ironic part is that every game that has DLSS3 has Reflex, thus having a lower latency than without it anyway.

Just jealous non 40 Series owners. As soon as AMD released a worse version they could use, they all STFU.

hlm666

I wonder if they have fallback to lumen seeing it's ue5. Will be interesting to see the comparisons and the visual and performance differences, i know desodre has it all but it's a much different looking game.

Lokaum D+

My 2060 trying to run this game

pc-fire.gif

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
I never understand people not wanting to enable ray traced water. I just can't stand anymore the obvious break of reflections as soon as something comes over the reflection. It's ugly and it's time to get rid of that.

Mister Wolf

Gold Member
You clearly didn't even watch the first 20 seconds of the video lol

I did. Wasn't impressed with what it offered to the presentation. I've stated on this forum numerous times that the only real impressive use of raytracing is for lighting. Every now and then we get games where RT Reflections gets to shine but that's few and far in between.

YCoCg

Did anyone else think the video was really compressed when it switched to gameplay? Either that or the DLSS was set on Performance or lower, there seemed to be a bit of artifacts in motion.

ChiefDada

Gold Member
I did. Wasn't impressed with what it offered to the presentation. I've stated on this forum numerous times that the only real impressive use of raytracing is for lighting. Every now and then we get games where RT Reflections gets to shine but that's few and far in between.

How anyone can tolerate SSR artifacts when they don't have to is beyond me but to each their own.

Did anyone else think the video was really compressed when it switched to gameplay? Either that or the DLSS was set on Performance or lower, there seemed to be a bit of artifacts in motion.

I thought the image quality was questionable throughout the video. Initially thought I was watching in 1080p but no it was 4k.

GymWolf

I never understand people not wanting to enable ray traced water. I just can't stand anymore the obvious break of reflections as soon as something comes over the reflection. It's ugly and it's time to get rid of that.
It's because the average player doesn't stop doing what he is doing to move the camera to check when ssr break, water reflections are something that you barely look when you pass by a body of water, not something that you look for 5 min to see how accurate they are.

Many people have other priorities when it comes to graphic.

Last edited:

Spyxos

Strange trailer, yes it looks good, but since they don't show us what the same scenes look like without ray tracing, this trailer is pointless.

Mister Wolf

Gold Member
How anyone can tolerate SSR artifacts when they don't have to is beyond me but to each their own.

Everything is a trade off. If enabling RT Reflections in this outdoor environment game means the difference between DLSS Quality and DLSS Performance. Then I'll take the sharper more stable image quality without a second thought.

Last edited:

Spyxos

Quite simply more performance. Yes, it usually looks better, but it doesn't look that much better. In most games I look at the game with all the raytracing effects at the beginning, and then usually turn all or most of them off.

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
It's because the average player doesn't stop doing what he is doing to move the camera to check when ssr break, water reflections are something that you barely look when you pass by a body of water, not something that you look for 5 min to see how accurate they are.

Many people have other priorities when it comes to graphic.
I mean sure I understand that, yet SSR is so old it's time to move on. And it's not me trying to move the camera to break those reflections, it just happen while normally playing and it's very ugly, especially in those times when we have great looking games it just ruin the graphics for me. I think RT reflections are far better than RT shadows for example, at least in 90% of games unless they don"t have a lot of water and the performance boost will be a lot bigger with RT shadows off rather than RT reflections.

To each their own I guess.

Quite simply more performance. Yes, it usually looks better, but it doesn't look that much better. In most games I look at the game with all the raytracing effects at the beginning, and then usually turn all or most of them off.
Yeah I get that, but again you can lower other settings and you will have better performance too. I prefer RT water than RT shadows in 90% of the games. That was just my point and saying RT water is pointless most of the time is a bit weird for me.

GymWolf

I mean sure I understand that, yet SSR is so old it's time to move on. And it's not me trying to move the camera to break those reflections, it just happen while normally playing and it's very ugly, especially in those times when we have great looking games it just ruin the graphics for me. I think RT reflections are far better than RT shadows for example, at least in 90% of games unless they don"t have a lot of water and the performance boost will be a lot bigger with RT shadows off rather than RT reflections.

To each their own I guess.

Yeah I get that, but again you can lower other settings and you will have better performance too. I prefer RT water than RT shadows in 90% of the games. That was just my point and saying RT water is pointless most of the time is a bit weird for me.
I think now we have tricks to make ssr (and the other reflection tech that i don't remember, cubemaps i think) to look less breakable, for example hfw does something that df explained to make reflections more stable.

But my point is the same, i don't find ssr distracting or ugly because i barely look at reflections, and many people are like me and disable raytraced reflections.

Hell i didn't even cared about rtx reflections on spidey where the outdoor location is basically a mirror house with all those tall buildings, and that's because i'm not gonna fucking check if my spidey reflection is accurate while i fight and web swing at 200km\h.

Last edited:

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
I think now we have tricks to make ssr (amd the other reflection tech that i don't remember) to look less breakable, for example hfw does so,ethimg that df explained to maie relfections more stable.
Sure but how many devs use it, or use it properly?

But my point is the same, i don't find ssr distraction because i barely look at reflections, and many people are like me and disable raytraced reflections.
I do find SSR breaking to be very distracting 🤷‍♂️ And again it's not because I'm looking at the game at 2 cm of my screen searching for every little artifact. And I think many people are like me too.

Hell i didn't even cared about rtx reflections on spidey where the putdoor location is basically a mirror house with all those tall buildings, and that's because i'm not gonna fucking check if my spidey reflection os accurate while i fight and web swing at 200km\h.
Of course, its use is better depending on the game. For Black Myth I think it could be very interesting since it is a game set in lush nature. For SM it's not really important since the risk of breaking the SSR on those tall building is very very little. So SSR can do the job just well. Also consoles are too weak and on AMD so RT is shit and has a really bad quality.

That's just how I see things, I'd rather have RTGI and RT reflections than RTGI and RT shadows. Most of the time at least.

//DEVIL//

Yes, AMD is coming...
Unlike to route for the underdog but man.. umm be surprised if their next gen cards are better than 4090. Considering their best card now is 30% slower than 4090. And 5090% is about 60% better than 4090 from then latest leaks.

There is a reason why there was a rumor AMD was gonna focus on mid range cards next gen only. It's because their high end cards will barely make it the mid range of next gen.

GymWolf

Sure but how many devs use it, or use it properly?

I do find SSR breaking to be very distracting 🤷‍♂️ And again it's not because I'm looking at the game at 2 cm of my screen searching for every little artifact. And I think many people are like me too.

Of course, its use is better depending on the game. For Black Myth I think it could be very interesting since it is a game set in lush nature. For SM it's not really important since the risk of breaking the SSR on those tall building is very very little. So SSR can do the job just well. Also consoles are too weak and on AMD so RT is shit and has a really bad quality.

That's just how I see things, I'd rather have RTGI and RT reflections than RTGI and RT shadows. Most of the time at least.
I think spidey has way more use for rtx reflections between buildings, cars, indoors etc.

In wukong you basically only have water that reflect things, and i bet chiefdata left testicle that you are not gonna have many bodies of water in the game, just an hunch...

Last edited:

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
I think spidey has way more use for rtx reflections between buildings, cars, indoors etc.

In wukong you basically only have water that reflect things, and i bet chiefdata left testicle that you are not gonna have many bodies of water in the game, just an hunch...
I honestly don't care that much, as long as the game is good we can enjoy it like we want.

GymWolf

I honestly don't care that much, as long as the game is good we can enjoy it like we want.
I don't care about the whole rtx package, i'm more of a raw details type of guy.
We have options to simulate realistic lighting, but we have no option for bad textures\details, for me it's that simple.

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
I don't care about the whole rtx package, i'm more of a raw details type of guy.
We have options to simulate realistic lighting, but we have no option for bad textures\details, for me it's that simple.
Eeeeeeh I'm gonna disagree here too. I think an amazing lighting is better to get a "next gen" feels than 8K textures. 100% of the time.
What is bad is when we have an awesome, 4K texture right beside a low 240p texture. Now that is very ugly for sure. But if it's consistent (and of course not 240p) I don't need the game to be full of 4K textures.

Look at Hogwarts Legacy for example, you don't have very detailed textures but the game still looks amazing (I'm only talking about maxed out PC, as I'm playing) thanks to it's lighting.

Also judging by this trailer, Black Myth will have very detailed textures & lighting so we should be good.

GymWolf

Eeeeeeh I'm gonna disagree here too. I think an amazing lighting is better to get a "next gen" feels than 8K textures. 100% of the time.
What is bad is when we have an awesome, 4K texture right beside a low 240p texture. Now that is very ugly for sure. But if it's consistent (and of course not 240p) I don't need the game to be full of 4K textures.

Look at Hogwarts Legacy for example, you don't have very detailed textures but the game still looks amazing (I'm only talking about maxed out PC, as I'm playing) thanks to it's lighting.

Also judging by this trailer, Black Myth will have very detailed textures & lighting so we should be good.
Hard disagree, but it's a matter of taste in the end.

A great texture is gonna remain great even if you use bad lights but a bad texture is not gonna get any better even with pixar level of light.
That's why you need a solid base before even thinking about lights, you can have the best light in the world, but if what is underneath looks bad, you are not gonna have a good graphic, that's why all the old\ugly games with raytracing still looks like turds, from quake 2 to minecraft, portal looks decent because it has a very minimalistic and super clean style.

I played hogwarts maxed out on pc and it looked decent at best to me, the art design and care for details was doing the heavy lifting in that game.

Last edited:

Ribi

Remember when Atomic Heart was an nvidia rtx showcase? Yeah, you guys should stop drooling like a bunch of dumdums until we actually play the game.
Remember when hoping the best for games was a real thing? When he wished our developers would be ambitious and release a product when it's ready? When we didn't call everything ambitious a scam?

Either way this will have RTX, China is a different beast than Russia. That said the menu layout seems to confirm it's more of a segmented game where you defeat a boss and head back and load up another segment so that's the only expectations to keep in check for now.

GymWolf

Remember when hoping the best for games was a real thing? When he wished our developers would be ambitious and release a product when it's ready? When we didn't call everything ambitious a scam?

Either way this will have RTX, China is a different beast than Russia. That said the menu layout seems to confirm it's more of a segmented game where you defeat a boss and head back and load up another segment so that's the only expectations to keep in check for now.
I hope the game is not just a boss rush, i hate that.

Top Bottom